The ending to Blame? (SPOILERS)

Evil-Genius' latest information on its current projects: Angel Heart, Biomega, Watanabe, and Zetman.

Moderator: EG Members

dos.azn
the_Gook_of_EG

The ending to Blame? (SPOILERS)

Post by dos.azn »

after a number of times rereading, I have been able to understand the entire story except the last 10 somewhat pages at the end. what happens to killy? DoS is confused :?
raziel
This is my new home

Post by raziel »

ah this question... yeah i was confused until i stumbled upon a european blame forum (dont remember link but you can try searching; i no it a keyword you can use while doing your search is heeeeen or something like that, dont know how many e's) My memory is fuzzy but i'll try. anyway, he does succeed and the egg that cibo was carrying does develop and you do get a glimpse of the net gene carrier at the table of contents of that volume or chapter. i dont remember the rest, you really should hear the others replies or check out that forum. sorry i couldnt be of much help tho.
Trog
Mastered PM

Post by Trog »

The last page of Blame! shows Killy with a child standing behind him.
I think the child is supposed to be the Netterminal Gene Carrier born from the egg and he's protecting it.

On the other hand the first book begins with Killy protecting a human child, which suggests a loop in the story. :roll:

maybe...
raziel
This is my new home

Post by raziel »

yeah this has been suggested in that european blame forum i was talking about and the people there were dismissing that idea. WHAT?! your last page is having a kid, mine just ends with him lying down in the water and a scene of the egg developing. Where'd you get your manga?

ah, found it:
http://www.heeen.de/blame/
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

Well, in my version the last page was also him more or less getting shot (with a grav blaster I thought) and falling into the water. I then didn't know whether the child/seed/whateer was developing or not, since it was supposed to be taken to some purer place, right?
I also didn't understand how Cibo and Sanakan can suddenly produce this child.
Brainpiercing
"Beer cures poison" - (almost) Guts.
Trog
Mastered PM

Post by Trog »

raziel wrote:yeah this has been suggested in that european blame forum i was talking about and the people there were dismissing that idea. WHAT?! your last page is having a kid, mine just ends with him lying down in the water and a scene of the egg developing. Where'd you get your manga?

ah, found it:
http://www.heeen.de/blame/
Seems like your version is missing the last page.
I've got the Omanga scanlation and there is another page after the one you are describing. It's says "end of vol.10" at the bottom of that last page.

Goto
http://www.omanga.net/?cid=b_blame
for a direct download of the last chapter. :wink:
raziel
This is my new home

Post by raziel »

hmmmm, i got my stuff from there. I really don't get it, ill have to look later.
brainpiercing:Interesting thing about that guy is that he is the same model as killy (either that or he a more advanced model).
I forgot how Cibo and Sanakan produced the child. Seriously, that forum does help a lot.
dos.azn
the_Gook_of_EG

Post by dos.azn »

Trog wrote:The last page of Blame! shows Killy with a child standing behind him.
I think the child is supposed to be the Netterminal Gene Carrier born from the egg and he's protecting it.

On the other hand the first book begins with Killy protecting a human child, which suggests a loop in the story. :roll:

maybe...
loop in the story? but didn't the whole story go in chronological order from the start?
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

dats what i was thinking. i just liked blame so much, i sat down and read it all in one sitting. fantastic stuff.

go watch the anime, that stuff will blow your mind if you haven't ever heard of blame before.
dos.azn
the_Gook_of_EG

Post by dos.azn »

if you're gonna watch the anime, read the manga first tho or you'll be confused as hell
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

didn't even know there was an anime. It'll be TV-style though, right? Or an OVA?

I must say though, that I don't particularly like anime with morose heroes. In a manga it's ok, but in an anime it's really annoying if the main char never opens his mouth.
Brainpiercing
raziel
This is my new home

Post by raziel »

gah, the anime, frankly is pretty bad. I was getting really bored with the still images. It just made it seem like a colored manga with some animation.
Trog
Mastered PM

Post by Trog »

dos.azn wrote:
Trog wrote:The last page of Blame! shows Killy with a child standing behind him.

maybe...
loop in the story? but didn't the whole story go in chronological order from the start?
I myself think that the story goes in perfectly chronological order, but since the story loop theory is widely spread in Blame! discussions, I thought it deserved to be mentioned here.
Jade
Teh Mistress

Post by Jade »

there are a number of time loops in the story and its not that hard to belive that Bleam! itself is a time loop, flash back. thats why makes the story so interesting the fact you just don't know.
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

Hmm, I don't think I'll watch the anime then.

I must say that after getting into reading the manga I find it hard watching anime, at least with well drawn artful manga. Colour and movement just does not replace style, and most TV anime isn't produced expensively enough to come close to the great drawings in good manga. I like anime on it's own, but once I've read the manga the anime usually loses.
Brainpiercing
dos.azn
the_Gook_of_EG

Post by dos.azn »

the egg developing i can understand, but killy sinking into the ground and all of a sudden falling into water?
Trog
Mastered PM

Post by Trog »

Jade wrote:there are a number of time loops in the story and its not that hard to belive that Bleam! itself is a time loop, flash back. thats why makes the story so interesting the fact you just don't know.
Yes, there are several time loop in the story.
The main reason why I don't think the whole story is one (,connecting the last page of Vol 10 to the beginning of Vol. 1), is that the kid with Killy at the beginning doesn't carry the right NetTerminal Genes. If you take the last three books into consideration it just wouldn't make any sense.
Trog
Mastered PM

Post by Trog »

dos.azn wrote:the egg developing i can understand, but killy sinking into the ground and all of a sudden falling into water?
He doesn't sink into the ground :? He's washed away by the rain and it's only natural for rainwater to end up in some larger body of water.
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

The thing that bugs me is that the ending seems so listless in its abruptness. It seems Tsutomu Nihei just didn't want to go on, so he just finished it off in the next best way he could imagine. (Or his publisher didn't want it to go on, whatever.)

Anyway I had the feeling Killy was dead or dying at the end, so I don't think the beginning is something that happened after the egg developing, not even mentioning the net terminal genes missing on the boy. The boy does somehow get lost after the first chapter, so it is strange, maybe it's a continuity error because he didn't quite go on with the plans he had from the beginning. So initially it was meant as a glimpse of the future, but afterwards he just didn't go with that.
Brainpiercing
raziel
This is my new home

Post by raziel »

According to that forum i have mentioned, people are saying that boy at the beginning is dead, killed by those 2 bad guys (dont remember what they're called). He was killed by the disease infecting humans. o and btw, the net termiinal gene carrier is a "she" as seen at the table of contents in one of the volumes.
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

Hmm, I'm going to have to reread it all again. I looked over the last few chapters a few times to make sense of them, but never bothered with the beginning.
Brainpiercing
Trog
Mastered PM

Post by Trog »

raziel wrote:According to that forum i have mentioned, people are saying that boy at the beginning is dead, killed by those 2 bad guys (dont remember what they're called). He was killed by the disease infecting humans. o and btw, the net termiinal gene carrier is a "she" as seen at the table of contents in one of the volumes.
Yes, the boy is dead in the second chapter.
The two bad guys are silicon life creatures.
The corpse of the boy shows signs of mutation. Maybe the Silicon Life tried to turn the boy into one of their own ( - you know that channeling the NetSphere thing they do in Noise!)
If "she" is seen in the table of contents it's probably refering to Cibo's reboot form. The Kid depicted on the last page wears a gas mask and it's impossible to determine it's sex.

Were you trying to make a point about something?? I don't get it. :?
raziel
This is my new home

Post by raziel »

Let's make it clearer,
people were thinking that boy at the beginning was the net terminal gene carrier. This can't be because the boy's death was the factor that forced Killy to begin his longass journey to find the cure.

As for the sex of the NTG carrier, this is opinion based but I will have to agree with the popular thought at the european forum and say that it is a "she".

Trog: did you read the previous posts by other members because one person understood the point i was trying to make (Brainpiercing)?
Trog
Mastered PM

Post by Trog »

raziel wrote:Let's make it clearer,
people were thinking that boy at the beginning was the net terminal gene carrier. This can't be because the boy's death was the factor that forced Killy to begin his longass journey to find the cure.

As for the sex of the NTG carrier, this is opinion based but I will have to agree with the popular thought at the european forum and say that it is a "she".

Trog: did you read the previous posts by other members because one person understood the point i was trying to make (Brainpiercing)?
OK, I'm sorry if my post sounded hostile in any way.

I agree with you in all the points you make, except, that the boy dying in the first chapter does not contradict the story loop theory. In fact it's necessary for the the theory to work.
I'm not going to defend this theory since (,like I've already stated in my previous posts, ) I don't believe in the story loop. I've also given reasons for why I don't think the boy from the beginning is the kid from the last page.

As for the common opinion that the NTG carrier is female; like I said before I think this refers to Cibo's new form with the NTG egg after her accession of the NetSphere. Not to the little disguised critter that's only shown on the last page of the manga.
dos.azn
the_Gook_of_EG

Post by dos.azn »

wow great insight everyone :D