Story progression...

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

Do you like the storyline after the anime has ended?

Yes
94%
No
6%

Total votes: 17

Jake
imanewbie

Post by Jake »

HAHA, well I was simply asking a question, and I never said I didnt like the story. Also yea it would be weird if those characters survived but juedaeu did die a stupid death however, pretty much because caska is a retard now. I think he could have been some other use, but yea its good they all died, it gave the story a more interesting turn. Anyways i made this thread so you people can discuss what you didnt like about the story, not bitch about my opinions. And Gatzz, dont think you offend me with your bullshit remark about disney, lol, noone ever takes any offence from an imbecile...

and yea i never read the first 3 volumes, thats probably why the story seems kinda awkward to me, but the real reason im kinda disappointed in the story is that the later volumes dont seem as interesting as the first 14, 15 of them...
JvChevalier
|||||||
Mastered PM

Post by ||||||| »

hmm should you read the whole thing before asking what you didn't like? I mean it should be obvious that things won't fit if there is something missing. A new bought car without a bumper, obviously lacks a bumper and you will complain about it. won't you?

Well and about things I didn't like about the story? I think its about time for casca to regain her heart. Also I would like for guts to get a bit more lucky. I mean the only good thing that happened in his life was his time with the hawks and him loving casca.

the story progress after the eclipse has been great so far.

a story needs emotion. if berserk had been an american movie (I thank all powers working on earth it didn't happen) it surely would have started with guts when he joined the hawks, zodd would have been left out and after a double wedding of griffith/princess and guts/casca (guts would look like prince charming from shrek2 of course) everyone would be happy. but it would also have been boring. fuckin standard stuff.

Miura is doing a really fine job.
Since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved.

Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

I don't really want to go too off-topic (not that the current topic is going anywhere good), but here goes.

First of all, I wasn't really talking about Disney as it stands today, because it mostly sucks. I was talking about Walt Disney, the founder of the company and the main man behind it's early films.

The reason why I asked what was wrong with him, was because whoever made that comment on Disney (and I might be wrong), sounded like a fuckin 14-year old kid that is tryin to be "cooler" and more "mature" by reading something hardcore like Berserk, and by calling Disney kiddie stuff. I did not flame him, I asked to see if my assumptions were correct, and if they were, then would I have flamed the crap out of him. But since Starnum asked so nicely, and because I know he is definately not a fuckin-14-year-old boy, I'll tell you a few things about Disney most people might not know.

He was a pioneer in the industry, and not just in animation. He was the first person to add sound to his films, and he was also the first person to use color in them. He also did the first feature length cartoon animated film, and he would sometimes put money out of his own pockets to make his films. The early Disney wasn't really solvent as a company. Obviously, the animation was excellent, still impressive by today's standards. Everybody tried to copy Disney, and in case some of you don't know, fuckin' anime would not exist today if he had not come along, because japanese were also trying to imitate him. Bottom line is, if you want to badmouth Disney, try to figure out why pretty much every animator, even today, sees early Disney as the Holy Grail of animation. And I should know, because I'm majoring in animation. I mean, watch Fantasia and see pure animation greatness, and that movie is from 1940. His movies might not have content as strong as Berserk, but they can still be enjoyed by everyone.

BTW Jake, you need to calm down a bit.
Dark_Zilo
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by Dark_Zilo »

yeah. Mr Disney was probably the main reason because animation is where it is today. you may not like him but you have to give credit to him.
i don't think Disney pictures are that bad. simply the creativity in america these days is very low.

as for the things i didn't like in Berserk.
the main thing is the excessive time Caska is in that state.
i think Miura could get her to remember little things (not when she is in danger and remembers scenes from the eclipse) sort of flashbacks or even dreams. things like fighting alongside with Guts and the band or even her start at the Hawks. at least she could relearn how to speak properly so we could understand better what she is going through.
The most beautiful thing in life is life itself
Get bitten by me
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Dark_Zilo wrote:yeah. Mr Disney was probably the main reason because animation is where it is today. you may not like him but you have to give credit to him.
i don't think Disney pictures are that bad. simply the creativity in america these days is very low.
Exactly. Most of the Disney movies aren't bad, a lot of them are pretty good actually. They are just made for a more general audience. I'll be the first to admit that they have gone through some crappy periods though. The Fox and the Hound, anyone?

As for something I don't like about Berserk right now, I think the LOTR-type magic stuff. I can't say it's bad, but I personally don't like it. As for Casca being able to speak again, I think that Skull Knight hinted at that when he spoke with Guts on the beach. He said it might happen in Elfheim. That would be the next logical step in the series too, we've seen Casca broken for way too long.
Gatzz
Mastered PM

Post by Gatzz »

I never said anything negative about Disney... just said it would be better for Jake to read...
But I dont think Mr. Disney was important for the manga and anime we are reading. Walt Disney had only influence in USA and Europe (seems to be USA's little whore..)
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Gatzz wrote:I never said anything negative about Disney... just said it would be better for Jake to read...
But I dont think Mr. Disney was important for the manga and anime we are reading. Walt Disney had only influence in USA and Europe (seems to be USA's little whore..)
That's fine, don't worry about it. And it's probably likely that Walt Disney no longer influences most of the artists and the stories we read nowadays (I seriously doubt Miura is heavily inspired by him). However, Disney's influence was worldwide, and not limited to USA or Europe.

During the late 30's/early 40's everyobdy was trying to imitate Disney, no exceptions. I'm sure you've heard of Osamu Tezuka, the so-called grandfather of anime and manga, the one that made anime and manga what there are today. He is sometimes called the Walt Disney of Japan. Well, it's common knowledge (at least for the people that care about this stuff), that his greatest influence was Walt Disney. Google for Tezuka's bio or something, and it's likely that Disney will be mentioned in there somewhere. The truth is, without Walt Disney, the animation world would be a crappy place to be in, which is why he gets my utmost respect.
raziel
This is my new home

Post by raziel »

Miura-san seems to hitting the mark with the story and everything pretty much except i don't like some of the times he tries to make Gatts badass. He tends to over do it sometimes. If i remember correctly, (i only read the manga once) he picks up the sword with his teeth sometime during the encounter with the count. sounds pretty lame to me, though i have no problem pushing the boundaries of my imagination when fighting with one metal arm and one eye.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

We've had this discussion before.....It was overall ruled that disney is good and kingdom hearts is good. So lets leave it at that.

Jake: You still think Judeau died a stupid death. Wow. Judeau's death was probably the best one in the manga. I dont like the fact that he died. But he gave his life for Casca, the woman he loved most but could never have. The even sadder part is that he couldnt tell her he loved her even right before he died. His death was not stupid, it was valiant.

The only death i would consider not valiant of the main group of the Hawks would be Carcus's.

P.S- My fav hawk was Pippin. God I wish he lived.
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Corcus' death might not have been valiant, but it was proper. I mean, c'mon the guy was a real jerk.

And yeah, Kindgom Hearts is good.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Re: Story progression...

Post by Eldo »

Jake wrote:I think the story started to get sour with me when he lost his arm and his eye, I dunno it seemed stupid, I mean i never heard of a hero with such a disability, and it sure doesnt give him any advantages even when he has all these powerful enemies to fight. Sure he has an fake iron left arm, but still I just believe this made him too weak and surely when hes missing his right eye.
Dude, that's like the cool thing about Guts. Despite his disadvantages physically, he could still open a can of whooparse. It makes the manga better, we watch Guts progress slowly from making these disadvantages, into an asset (cannon on arm). And also to watch him struggle in fights. Plus, he has a FUCKING CANNON that blows things to smithereens. It compensates for alot of factors in combat. What to you think sounds more stupid? A man without an eye and an arm fighting apostles, or a man attempting to defeat god-like entities? :wink: Or do you like Berserk to be more like fist of the north star? The character in that manga is invincible! And in first volume of the manga and first episode of the anime, Guts was missing an eye and had a cannon on his arm. I thought it was obvious that they'll going to be missing in later volumes. Just a matter of finding out why. Well, no shit that there isn't a hero with that disability. It's fucking BERSERK, and it has more depth that way. The fights are more intense because he has to compensate for the losses.
Also i think this bererk armor is rediculous. Its also making him to weak. I feel after all the life he lost using it will leave him a cripple to fight off enemies later in the story. I dont know if im getting my point across correctly, i just feel that he really should be on the verge of death already, and that he should be dead befor ethe stories conclusion. I know this is a anime, and there are plenty more unrealistic things, but this is just too much already. He already lost his arm, and eye. now hes losing vision in the only eye he has left, and his armor is eating away at him. I jus think it would have been cooler if he fought off the enemies with his own strenth.
Guts in his current strength right now cannot even match the strength of the God Hands. He got royally fucked over by Slan, and that shows that Guts does not possess the capacity of the power needed to beat them. There are limitations to what Guts can and cannot do, and the Berserk Armour surpasses them. The Berserk Armour is just that little glimmer of hope Guts has to beat them. I mean, it ties in pretty good with the plot, since SK has worn it before...

Of course there needs to be some disadvantages in the armour so that Guts does not rely on it 24/7 when fighting his battles.
Also i was really dis appointed when some of the main characters were killed off, i think a few others could have survived, mainly jeudaeu ( i obviously dont know how to spell his name ) . I know it adds to a lot of the story that they were killed, but i mean we knew them the whole story prety much and they did not go out with a bang or moment of glory, they were killed off like they were nothing...
Well, Judeau was in the fricking eclipse! Everyone was fucking dying everywhere! Where the hell would you have liked him to die? He did have his moment of glory - protecting Casca. He died to protect someone he loved. I thought that was noble enough. He was even given a whole page to commemorate his effort. If you think that's dying without worth, just because he's protecting some 'bitch' that he secretly was in love with, then you are heartless sir. Or maybe you can tell me how he should have died, and what your definition of 'bang' and 'moment of glory' means...
well i pretty much dont like the way the story is going, but im probably like this because i saw the anime and am going through the rest of the story in the manga.
Dude, it's obvious we all like the story here. This is the Berserk section, right? That means we'll all here for Berserk, and we all love the progressions that has happened so far. Your post(s) here is a shining example of what would happen if a lamb was placed in a arena full of lions...
btw i know i wrote a lot lol...i have a way of rambling on when i type...
Now there's something we can both agree on :wink:

Disney is great! I watched it since I was a kid. Now, who the hell hasn't watched Finding Nemo? Incredibles? Although I do admit, some of the material is kind of sappy. But that's because they make FAMILY movies, you know, movies for families. I just don't like how they butcher asian films...

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Dark_Zilo

Post by Dark_Zilo »

WOOWW. Master Rambling as arrived.
you sure have an answer set out for everyone...
Eldo wrote:But that's because they make FAMILY movies, you know, movies for families. I just don't like how they butcher asian films...
yeah it sure sucks when they do that.
although i have to say that they are increasingly turning their heads to anime
i read somewhere that Cartoon Network is going to air Naruto among other japanese series
mayde because of it's popularity even among americans
Get bitten by me
Arresty
Conversation Killer

Post by Arresty »

I would love to see the day Berserk gets aired on Cartoon Network. :D

Though in reality Cartoon Network would never air it do to graphic content. The best we could hope for is Showtime or HBO, but even there I doubt it will ever get American airtime.
Mysickness
imanewbie

Post by Mysickness »

I think Jake is missing the point about Berserk. It's about destiny and the will to live. I think that Gutts handicap is there to highlight that basic human instinct, no matter how hurt or damaged, humans fight to live. This is further shown by Miura in the sheer power of Gutts enemies, No one should be able to fight and win yet through the power of the human will Gutts does. Remember even if Gutts didn't want to fight the God hand and it's Apostles, it can't be helped he is marked. I think Gutts fights some what out of anger (vengeance) but also out of love for Casca. Who i wish would start to regain her memories. As in many things Japanese I think Berserk has a lot of symbolism, plus it is just plain old bad ass. I like the way things have progressed, I think we are going come to find out that the Armor is a vice (like drugs) Gutts will have to fight to overcome his reliance on it and it's ill affects, Again an exercise in will. I'm a little disappointed with how slow things are going right now. But I believe Miura is gearing up for something big. Plus it fiction wether or not Gutts is missing a arm and a eye he's not real, so of course he can do the super human. Berserk is hands down the best thing I have ever read.

Just my opinion (even if it is the right one)
Dark_Zilo

Post by Dark_Zilo »

the americans (and i mean the big shots that control the TV stations) are all a bunch of puritans that behind the scenes makes worst things than the things they ban from their TV.
Get bitten by me
Rurik
imanewbie

Post by Rurik »

I'm not so sure about the armour, it could be really gay or it could be great...

Off topic: I hate to wait for the next chapter..., especially when it's such a long way to the end. I'm never again going to begin reading something that's not finished...
Arresty
Conversation Killer

Post by Arresty »

Dark_Zilo wrote:the americans (and i mean the big shots that control the TV stations) are all a bunch of puritans that behind the scenes makes worst things than the things they ban from their TV.
Except for Comedy Central and FX. Both of those play uncensored stuff after hours. Nothing like watching Southpark: Bigger Longer and Uncut actually uncut on TV. And even more fucked up was I watched Goodfellas uncensored on Lifetime(A woman's channel).

But back on topic:
Mysickness wrote:Just my opinion (even if it is the right one)
Damn strait. But I agree with you about most of that stuff. Berserk is very well written but any standards. Even though it is extremely graphic :twisted: it still balances it out with an amazing story and some great artwork. I really like Miura's drawing style.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Should there be a change of question for the poll? Like, 'should this thread be locked?'

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

I can take care of that for you guys, if you'd like. ;)
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Do it, this thread is going nowhere...
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Very well then.

Burn!

*He renders the thread to ash*