Castlevania: Lords of Shadow

Welcome to the official EG Gaming Buzkashi League (EGBL).

Moderator: EG Members

War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow

Post by War Machine »

Is not Castlevania.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Starnum
Elven King

Re: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow

Post by Starnum »

:lol:

It has a lot of the same themes, but the game-play is very different. I still thought it was a great game.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

I'll agree that the game is not bad, but I can't get over the fact that it's not Castlevania. And the Titan fights taken right from Shadow of the Colossus was another minus point in my book.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
dialdfordesi
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by dialdfordesi »

It does borrow a lot, but for some reason I really loved that game. The dark fantasy feel pumped me up so much. I can't wait for the DLC that comes out this month!
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

I felt like LoS was an amalgamation of sorts with no real focus. Gameplay-wise, we have those Shadow of the Colossus and God of War moments; Story-wise we have pretty much a Dante's Inferno story, with the added side story with Patrick Stewart (I guess it's a plus on this one). In terms of monsters we have pretty generic choices for the most part and one serious aberration with the inclusion of the chupacabras. Anyway, a lot of these choices could be forgiven, I guess, but when you take all of it into account it's pretty hard to ignore. They simply put a lot of gaming aspects that have worked on other games together in one pot and then called it Castlevania so it would sell.

Going back to the "it's not Castlevania" point. Would it have changed the game at all if they had changed the last name of Gabriel to anything else and called the game just "Lords of Shadow"? Would anyone even relate the game to Castlevania if they did that?
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

What you say is true, I don't deny it. I mean, you could still equate it to Castlevania, but only in subtle ways such as the underlining gothic themes and the sub-weapons. Not much to go on though.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

One last thing for my rant. They could've kept the music style and it would fit the whole "rebooting of the series" just fine, instead we were treated with generic crap.
sandimas
notanewb

Post by sandimas »

castle vania is a good game!
banned from evil genius twice, from sk.net twice, facebook a lot, cant count, from hi5 too many!
thepeaguy
notanewb

Post by thepeaguy »

LoS is pretty much a reworking of Lament of Innocence with God of War mechanics. A shoddy reboot.

Saying that, Iga made god knows how many Metroidvania games.