Berserk 318 - Bestial Warrior

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

DrPepperPro
Dirty Sennin

Berserk 318 - Bestial Warrior

Post by DrPepperPro »

bhaal
imanewbie

Re: Berserk 318 - Bestial Warrior

Post by bhaal »

It as been a long road for our little Farnese , since the days of the Holy knights to this day, when she graduate as a witch, who have guessed the destiny Miura was saving for her at that time?

That message at the end of chapter explaining why will be a little (I hope) suspension on releases seems estrange but well, lets hope it will be short.
Don't fear the darkness until you see what light can do.
Billabong
imanewbie

Post by Billabong »

"Will resume when manuscripts are gathered" means there was at least one more chapter planned in this cycle, so it'll probably be another chapter in a month, then the usual 3 month hiatus i think.

Kind of short chapter, but be damned i want the next chapter, Guts fighting Cthulhu? Yes please!

Thanks as usual EG.
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Yay!! As always, thanks for the wonderful work you do, EG! You guys rock!
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Direct download is now available:
http://berserkvault.dyndns.org/
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
jarlaxle_95
imanewbie

Post by jarlaxle_95 »

Yay! Thanks for the scan EG.

As for the chapter. Short, but the artwork was amazing once again. Of course we're getting a break. Ah well, hopefully when my second child turns 18 (i got no children yet) the story will be concluded 8)
lon3vvolf
n00b Smasher

Post by lon3vvolf »

Thanks EG. I hope the sea god doesn't end up looking like Cthulhu though.

From the message at the end of the chapter it sounds like he really wants to put out chapters quickly. I don't mind the breaks anymore, so used to it.
ShinigamiGuts
n00b Smasher

Post by ShinigamiGuts »

another break =/
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

ShinigamiGuts wrote:another break =/
But this break will hopefully be shorter (maybe only a month or so?) since it was apparently an unforseen problem with the manuscripts.
TheParagon
Mastered PM

Post by TheParagon »

yeah im used to it aswell. regular releases of berserk on a more permanent basis is starting to feel like peace on earth - it would be wonderful, but its not gonna happen

thanks for the scan, eg!

i liked this chapter, but more than that im really looking forward to the next chapters. hopefully we wont have to wait 3 months or longer, but i do hope they release enough chapters in a row to cover the whole fight
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

This was a nice chapter. Not good, but nice.
As a standalone I'd call it crap, but as a part of the whole...nice.
Points worth remembering:
-It's official: Farneze sees Gutts as her personal messiah. THIS is not the way someone sees a lover, a friend, or a father-like figure. That's the way someone sees her own personal savior. And I mean that in a religious sense. If the circumstances were different, I wouldn't hesitate to call Gutts a charismatic cult leader basing myself only on the way Farneze looks at him, and how she cries at his slightest hint of approval.
Whether this is a good or bad thing remains to be seen (zealots have historically had a very useful tendency to die for their leaders. The problem is that they're, well, overzealous, and tend to make bad decisions due to their over-willingness to die for the "leader-cause-faith-ideology" they advocate).

-Roderick has circumnavigated the globe: this depends entirely on whether that's what he literally said, or just a particularly colorful bit of translation on part of E.G. (I'm not doubting your translation skills, guys, I am merely pointing out the possibility that that might not have been what he said literally, word for word. It's not the same as having traveled a lot. "Circumnavigated the globe" implies empirically proved knowledge of earth's roundness, and that's kind of important).
If this is what he said, that would gives a shitload of information about the setting. For one thing, it would push much fa(u?)rther into the future all analogies we have established between Berserk and 16th century Europe. The discovery of America (and, at least at first, a relatively safe passage to the Far East through the southern tip of Africa) was a big deal, politically and economically speaking, and redefined the way people thought of the world. There's a reason it's considered the end-point of the middle ages. If this is a fact in Berserk, then what we have been thinking of as "medieval fantasy" has been "modern age fantasy" all along!
And that would be FUCKING cool.

I don't think there's anything else I can say about this chapter. So, uhm, that's it.
Oh, right.
Thanks E.G. person-peoples!

@The Paragon: Doubting the possibility of world peace? I am shocked! Oh, and by the way, welcome to the club, Dawg.
One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings.
~Diogenes of Sinope
DrPepperPro
Dirty Sennin

Post by DrPepperPro »

Let's see as literally as possible Roderick says "Throughout the world, its seas, gone around I have." Don't read that in yoda's voice- too late.

I don't doubt Roderick knows the earth is round, since it was known long before it was ever actually sailed around. But it isn't clear if he's literally gone around the earth, or just gone around in its seas (which could be that he's traveled all over the world, just not directly around it). The problem, as usual, is the verb. Here's the possible meanings:
廻った 【もとおった】 <Verb - Past Plain>; (v5r,vi) to wander around.
廻った 【めぐった】 <Verb - Past Plain>; (v5r,vi) (1) to go around; (2) to return; (3) to surround; (4) to dispute.
廻った 【まわった】 <Verb - Past Plain>; (v5r,vi) (1) to turn; to revolve; (2) to visit several places; (3) to function well; (4) to pass a certain time.
Anyways I'm no expert at japanese so take it for what you will.
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

DrPepperPro wrote:Let's see as literally as possible Roderick says "Throughout the world, its seas, gone around I have." Don't read that in yoda's voice- too late.

I don't doubt Roderick knows the earth is round, since it was known long before it was ever actually sailed around.
Yeah, but the ptolemaic system prevalent among the educated classes wasn't really accepted by society as a whole, and had very little impact in the way people saw the world, whereas (?) Columbus' discovery opened a whole new world for European imagination. Literally. They didn't call America "the new world" for no reason.
("Throughout the world, its seas, gone around I have." sounds totally awesome.)
DrPepperPro wrote: But it isn't clear if he's literally gone around the earth, or just gone around in its seas (which could be that he's traveled all over the world, just not directly around it). The problem, as usual, is the verb. Here's the possible meanings:
廻った 【もとおった】 <Verb - Past Plain>; (v5r,vi) to wander around.
廻った 【めぐった】 <Verb - Past Plain>; (v5r,vi) (1) to go around; (2) to return; (3) to surround; (4) to dispute.
廻った 【まわった】 <Verb - Past Plain>; (v5r,vi) (1) to turn; to revolve; (2) to visit several places; (3) to function well; (4) to pass a certain time.
Anyways I'm no expert at japanese so take it for what you will.
Mmm...Modern age Fantasy Epic it is, then.
Awesome.
~Diogenes of Sinope
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

I still don't see the need to compare the world of Berserk with reality. It's not Earth. It's a different world (albeit Earth like in many ways), in an alternate reality. I know that Miura draws a lot of his inspiration from real world things, but he's also admitted that he combines things from different time periods, such as the armor and weaponry. It's an alternate world/reality, so I don't think the real world timeline really applies. *shrugs* >.>

Since you asked.
Rolos wrote:fa(u?)rther
Farther
tsubaimomo
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by tsubaimomo »

Starnum wrote:
Farther
Further
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

tsubaimomo wrote:
Starnum wrote:
Farther
Further
Yep, further.
TheParagon
Mastered PM

Post by TheParagon »

i would if i could "You may embed only 3 quotes within each other."

Elitism ftw :D
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Doh! I thought he was asking if there should be a "u" in the word farther, as in "faurther". Anyway, either word could be used in this case, as they both mean the same thing. ;)

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/farther

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/further
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

You don't need to apologize for any of your posts, Rolos. I always skim through them anyway. This is how my brain synthesizes your posts:
Rolos wrote:Really?
I always had the impression that farther was more geographic, more concerned with physical displacement. I've never heard anyone saying "farthermore", for example.
But if the Internet [Rolos being Rolos] says they're the same, then screw it, they're the same.
But wait...
[Link here, click it]

[Rolos practically writing a play]
[Monty Python reference]
[Descent into madness]

[I think he's going back to the topic of his post], I'll apologize for this post.
PS: Rolos deleted his post while I was writing mine... :( Screw it, I already wrote this, I'm posting it.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

LOL @ Rolos' post. (The original one, before he deleted it for whatever reason.) Personally, I thought it was pretty funny.

Hm, interesting. So it would seem "further" was slightly more correct in this instance after all.

Tsubaimomo! *shakes his fist in the air* :P

I was never really disputing that though. I thought it was a matter of spelling in question, not word usage. Heh, "faurther", I guess it was kind of silly of me to think he was asking if that was how it was spelled. That's my bad. :sweat:
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

Thanks again guys. It's been really surprising that the chapters have been coming this quickly. Must be a Christmas present for all us Berserk fans out there. At least this time they're nice enough to apologize for the long release waits.

Is it only me or did others find the dialogue in that chapter rather confusing?
Audentis Fortuna Juvet - Virgil
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

I just realized this forum is synchronized with Berserk on more than just a temporal (chronological?) level.
For example, while the Interstice used to be a relatively small "section" of Berserkian reality, it now encompasses the whole physical world, just like the Interstice of this community seems to have swallowed up all other forums, its rules now applying to all other sections.
I remember a time when one could say "Dick Cockshytipants is my name, and I rap for the Lord's unholy gain, ahsizza baliza phricognio bazoo" and get away with it, just by pressing that little fella, the delete button.
Those golden times are over, apparently.

The Interstice is here.
No one is safe.

The Herald wrote:Is it only me or did others find the dialogue in that chapter rather confusing?
Nope~.
~Diogenes of Sinope
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Rolos wrote:
The Herald wrote:Is it only me or did others find the dialogue in that chapter rather confusing?
Nope~.
Hm, no, not really.
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

I think it's just you. Out of curiosity, which parts did you find confusing?
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

It was just the flow of the dialogue, it didn't make a lot of sense to me. And yes I was reading it the correct way. This is by no means a criticism on your guys' editing skills, I just didn't 'get it' this time around. Musta been all of the magic mumbo jumbo. Also there was no follow through on when Farnese summoned the four points. The other time it was so badass. What's up with that?
Audentis Fortuna Juvet - Virgil