Demon's souls

Welcome to the official EG Gaming Buzkashi League (EGBL).

Moderator: EG Members

TheParagon
Mastered PM

Demon's souls

Post by TheParagon »

It's one of my all time favourite games! i love the atmosphere in it, the design is awesome, and its truely challenging

it was also rewarded game of the year 2009 by gamespot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgYBivaVco8

if you own a ps3 and dont have a short temper (due to the fact that u die a lot), u must try this game
Starnum
Elven King

Re: Demon's souls

Post by Starnum »

My biggest complaint with this game, is that it sends you back to the beginning of the stage every time you die. That's just unacceptable in my opinion. Imagine you've spent half an hour or more getting to the boss at the end of the stage, only to die and get sent all the way back, losing all your progress in the process. There's nothing wrong with challenge, but this is a poor substitute in my opinion. It's not like the game isn't challenging already, there was no reason to include this. I'm a hardcore gamer, and I enjoy a good challenge as much as the next guy, but I'm also quick to anger. One of the key factors of gaming, is that it isn't real life. That doesn't mean it has to be easy, but having to start over at the beginning of the stage every time you die, especially when the stages can take a long time to complete, is a bit too much for my taste. You have to play almost flawlessly to stay alive, and when the stages require that you learn by trial and error, after dieing several times until you learn the right way to do it, there's just no need to send you all the way back every time. There needs to be a check point every now and then, or at least once you reach the boss. This game pissed me off so bad that I never even got passed the first stage before I sent it back. It's a shame really because it seemed to have potential. Though the combat seemed a bit lacking. Maybe I'm just spoiled on the GoW style of game-play, but if I'm gonna be hacking and slashing, I need lots of combos and variety, heh.
TheParagon
Mastered PM

Post by TheParagon »

well thats not entirely true. all items u get and all things u activate, are still activated when u die. so if u activate a shortcut to the boss, which there almost always are somewhere, its still activated when you die. so the way to the boss will be much shorter when u have reached it one time, than it was the first time. i personally dont think the battle is flawed, but it is a tad too hard to deflect attacks with your shield.

the only flaws as i see them are that if u try to take items on the map, and u cant wear them due to too heavy weight, they will be gone when u die. and also that the ending scenes are way too short. it almost felt like back in the days "congratulations you are a good player"

but i really love the design of the maps, armors, weapons, the variety of how you can play the game (magic, priest things, two handed weapons, fencing weapon, spear, axe and so on). it really is an amazingly great game
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Ah, well maybe it's not as bad as I thought, but I still can't deal with having to go back to the beginning of the stage every time you die. Well I didn't mean to imply that the combat is flawed, it's just limited in my opinion. It's just not varied enough for my taste. Like I said, I'd prefer to have lots of attack combos and such.
dialdfordesi
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by dialdfordesi »

The combat doesn't have combos, but when I play it, it just feels right for some reason. As for the lack of checkpoints, it's no different than an NES game, but yeah it does suck
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
TheParagon
Mastered PM

Post by TheParagon »

a thing that freaked me out at first was the fact that u cant paus, even when ur in menys :), but u get used to it, just open the meny when there are no opponents

i agree there are not visual combat combos, but each weapon has its own tactics how and when to use them, so that gives the game much more variety than any much botton game will give u

i just saw, that there is goin to be a "sequel", had lost all hopes about that :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcHzOa7fMzs
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

I really liked this game as well, but I agree with Starnum, it has some serious flaws. Online interactions are severely limited, all I can do is bow, I can't talk or write or do anything but chose one of the gestures available that only come up after holding X for about 3 seconds (meaning that you can't use them in a fight). Invading or helping someone else was fun, but getting invaded is really awful, especially because the only way to opt out of it is to either play offline (by disconnecting your PS3 from the internet cause they don't let you play offline otherwise) or play in soul form with half (or less, depending on the world tendency) of your life and one less slot in your ring equipment (cause if you don't equip the Cling Ring, you'll fight with 1/4 of your life instead of half of it).

Weapon variations were great, it does need more weapons though, for an RPG the amount of items is really small (there's only about 10 different suits of armor, some of which are gender specific). Leveling is a big problem, it's not very straightforward, you have to do copious amounts of research about what weapons you want to use because you have to level your character a certain way if you want to 1) be able to use the weapons and armor you want, and 2) be able to deal a decent amount of damage with them. With the single point you get for each level, you have to level Dexterity if you want to use bows and katanas, Strength if you want to use two-handed swords or axes, a mix of Strength and Dexterity for one-handed swords, Faith for "white magic" and Magic for "black magic", as well as specialized weapons for mages and saints. And don't forget to level up Vitality (for more HP), Intelligence (for more MP), Endurance (for resistance to status effects and increase your maximum equipment weight), and Luck (which is completely useless and should be avoided like the plague). I remember I had to read the booklet that came with the game several times and then a lot of guides to understand everything about how to level your character, if you're not careful you end up with a high level character that either dies in one hit or deals no damage. Also, assigning one point to your status is a very marginal gain, absolutely nothing changes with a single point other than maybe finally being able to equip something. They also don't tell you that one level point into one of your status categories doesn't translate to a linear increase in that category, the gains for each point increase in smaller and smaller amounts each time you put another point into the same category. When reaching 50 points in a category it's not even worth assigning another point into it cause the gain is so small (for example, if you're leveling Strength, each level point nets you about 10 points in Strength for the first 10 points, then 9, then 8 for each, up to the 50th level point in Strength and over which give you a fraction of a point for each level).

I could go on longer about the things that bugged me about this game, but I'll leave it at this for now. I did like the game though, I even got the platinum trophy for it, but the game is far (really far) from perfect.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
TheParagon
Mastered PM

Post by TheParagon »

hopefully the "sequel" will be even better :)

oh and about luck, i find it useful, the higher luck u have the more and better items enemies drop, which is very useful if u want to upgrade weapons
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

TheParagon wrote:oh and about luck, i find it useful, the higher luck u have the more and better items enemies drop, which is very useful if u want to upgrade weapons
You'd think that's what it does, but it doesn't. Raising luck only raises item drop rate, not the rarity of the item dropped, so you're better off using the Sword of Searching to find rare items rather than wasting your levels with Luck.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
TheParagon
Mastered PM

Post by TheParagon »

that would explain a lot :D
fujinsan
Flexing spam muscles

Post by fujinsan »

Psychonauts was better.
Mail
Mastered PM

Post by Mail »

Never played Demon's Souls, but Psychonauts was awesome :D
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Are these two games even anything alike, lol? I've never played Psychonauts, but I've heard about it.
Mail
Mastered PM

Post by Mail »

I'm gonna go with no. Not even close really. But having not played Demon's Souls I can't know for sure...
papasith
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by papasith »

to be short with it, nothing alike.(other then being action platform games)
i did not finish psyconauts so if i am wrong on it at all i apologize.

psyconauts is an action platform game, with a humorous, cartoony feel. i don't remember it being to hard difficulty wise.

demon souls is an action, swords and sorcery game. hard as balls at times, and all about collecting the right armor/weapon. and leveling up correctly.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Right, that was kind of my point. Apples to oranges and such, but hey, at least they're still both fruit! :P
Mail
Mastered PM

Post by Mail »

Demon's Souls: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ ... mons-Souls
Psychonaughts: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ ... sychonauts

I don't always agree with his reviews, but they're consistently hilarious.
TheParagon
Mastered PM

Post by TheParagon »

haha, very funny indeed :D
TheParagon
Mastered PM

Post by TheParagon »

double post

is it just me or is Psychonauts from 2005 on ps2? in what way does it have to do with demon's souls, games of 2009 or ps3? :P
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

It has absolutely nothing to do with Demon's Souls. It's not even the same type of game.
Mail
Mastered PM

Post by Mail »

Someone brought up a random comparison for no reason at all.
fujinsan
Flexing spam muscles

Post by fujinsan »

Damn straight I did and I'll do it again, Mortal kombat was better.
TheParagon
Mastered PM

Post by TheParagon »

well congrats on almost getting away with it :D
fujinsan
Flexing spam muscles

Post by fujinsan »

yeah, if people were smarter all they'd have to do was scroll up and I was betting on it so I just went ahead and said it again.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

What is this "scroll" you speak of? Is it some sort of document?