New anime confirmed!!

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

Starnum
Elven King

Re: New anime confirmed!!

Post by Starnum »

Man, that's not sounding good. I just really want to see the Black Swordsman arc animated. I hope they do more after this trilogy, and don't screw it up. I'd like them to take their time with it and do it right. Lost Children & Retribution arcs could be amazing if they do it right, and I've always wanted to see those parts of the story in animation.
brunoafh
This is my new home

Post by brunoafh »

War Machine wrote:Did you guys watch the chinese rip?
Yeah, I watched the Chinese rip. It is censored, but only nudity is censored. Gore is fully intact. The censorship is rather random though, for example in the flashback scene where child Caska is shown being raped (which is completely random, not in context, and unexplained), you can see bare child breast the entire time. And while Griffith is being tortured, his shlong is hanging right out there. But nudity is censored where Caska is nude in the cave after Guts removes her wet clothing, and during the Griffith/Charlotte scene.
Starnum wrote:Lost Children & Retribution arcs could be amazing if they do it right
Definitely, I was hoping for that from the start. But I don't want to see these arcs done by this staff. They are pretty much on my shit list after this second movie, but perhaps the third movie will soften me up a bit. The first movie I didn't *hate* really, but yeah, I think I made my feelings about the second movie clear in my post. What would have been ideal would be a TV series (or even a legit OVA series like Hellsing Ultimate) adapting the manga from the beginning and going onward, done by a good studio like Madhouse or someone. High quality OVA series tend to take painfully long to come out though. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I hope these movies get buried, and someone starts from scratch, yet again. Based on how the second movie randomly shows Farnese, Serpico, and Azan, it leads me to believe they are going to move onward to adapt the arcs they're featured in. Which is scary.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Can you link us to the DL you used to watch the second movie, or just PM it to me if you'd rather. Either is fine, thanks.
brunoafh
This is my new home

Post by brunoafh »

Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Wait, the subs are in Chinese...damnit. Well thanks anyway. Even tho I know the story, I would prefer to be able to read the subs in English. Guess this'll have to do for now. :(
brunoafh
This is my new home

Post by brunoafh »

Sorry about that, I didn't intend to mislead you.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Oh, it's okay. Not your fault. I watched most of it this morning. I just kind of skimmed through it and watched the action scenes. I got a codec off that page that made the video play in HQ tho, so that's good. I had playback issues with the first movie as well, so now I can re-watch it in HD. I'm sure I'll rewatch the second movie as soon as an English sub comes out as well.
Gou
imanewbie

Post by Gou »

That's a little disappointing to hear. I was hoping the 2nd film would take us closer to the manga with its longer running time giving it some more breathing room. I think having Serpico and Farneze present at the party could've been a nice as a background cameo and nod (as it doesn't seem unreasonable to me that they'd be mingling in those circles of high society), but drawing direct attention to them via Guts seems OTT.

I'll hold out for an English subbed version here, though I wish they'd step up the English Blu-ray releases!
Minister
imanewbie

Post by Minister »

JP RAW [DVDISO]
Video Standard: NTSC / 7.586 Kbps
Audio 1: Japanese Dolby Digital 2.0ch / 448 Kbps
Audio 2: Japanese Dolby Digital 5.1ch / 448 Kbps
Subtitles: Japanese
Size: 5.08 GB

http://www.minoland.com/article-9418-1.html

Screen:
http://downloadbox.me/uploads/posts/201 ... m33s15.jpg
http://downloadbox.me/uploads/posts/201 ... 46s100.jpg
http://downloadbox.me/uploads/posts/201 ... 35s150.jpg
http://downloadbox.me/uploads/posts/201 ... 45s192.jpg
The B#
imanewbie

Post by The B# »

Why'd you have to go and Gunt my fries?
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Ok, I just saw it and while I do not agree with brunoafh's assertion that it's been dumbed down to the lowest common denominator, it does have a lot of problems. Pacing and direction are all over the place, and this is really the big problem. For the most part, they are rushing through the story pretty harshly and I agree with brunoafh that it will alienate newcomers who know nothing of the series.

Other than that, the 3D animations felt more annoying this time around. They kept changing from digitally drawn frames to 3D modeled ones quite often and expect us not to notice even though it's night and day every time they do. You're looking at a particular digitally drawn scene and then they speak a little and then it's 3D models, then they speak a little more and then it's digitally drawn again, it's pretty jarring that it all happens in between scenes. And aside from the aesthetical difference each time they make that change, the 3D modeled animations run at like 15 frames per second, so there's a very noticeable slowdown each time they change (in conjunction with the drop in quality for their facial expressions and movements). I understand using 3D modeling for the big fights and any other technically difficult scene, but there were lots of menial moments that change to 3D models for no reason.

Again, I don't think it's been dumbed down, it's just that the pacing is all wrong and it's hard to get emotionally invested in the characters when they get so little screen time or dialogue.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
The B#
imanewbie

Post by The B# »

I understand time constraints. I know that plot points and subplots have to get the axe. More than anything, though, I miss how the rest of the Band of the Hawk. If these movies are a person's only window into the Berserk universe, there is zero chance that their deaths in the next movie will have any significant emotional impact. Yeah, they had more lines in this movie, but I doubt an outsider would remember any of their names.

While I still kind of enjoyed the movie, I did myself a favor. After seeing this a second time I sat down and watched the second half of the original anime straight through. This is the first time I've done this in probably ten years or so (I've watched assorted episodes or clips on various occasions, but haven't sat down and watched a lot in a long time). These movies make me sad.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

About the emotional impact incoming, the movies might redeem themselves somewhat if they show the fight in the sewer with the Bakiraka during Griffith's rescue. At least you'll see them working together like they were supposed to be doing all along.

Oh, yeah, and I forgot to mention, Zodd doesn't throw the sword to help Guts kill Baskogn. Considering it's a 5 second scene, I don't see why it was cut.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
brunoafh
This is my new home

Post by brunoafh »

War Machine wrote:Oh, yeah, and I forgot to mention, Zodd doesn't throw the sword to help Guts kill Baskogn. Considering it's a 5 second scene, I don't see why it was cut.
Because the creators of this are lazy, and do not care about anything other than action scenes and sex.

I admit my post may have been somewhat knee-jerk-ish, but I still stand by my statement that this is Berserk boiled down to the stupidest it can be. Yes, of course Berserk is largely about action. But it is also heavily about character development and human relationships, aspects entirely abandoned by these movies. Why isn't the Band of the Hawk developed? Why is there zero tension between Caska/Guts/Griffith? Why is it basically a glorified clip show with no real direction ignoring several key points of this story? I can come up with no other answer other than the studio knew the time constraints were severe, and decided to just make them 100% action gore flicks. I can sympathize with them somewhat being that cutting down the Band of the Hawk arc into such a short run-time is very difficult, but still, it's just handled as poorly as it could be.

As some have stated, the one thing that makes me irritated about these, is that they absolutely do not show what Berserk truly is and will do nothing to new-comers. Which is just an absolute shame.
greak
imanewbie

Post by greak »

http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=torrentinfo&tid=385091
Berserk movie 2
Subbed
SEED ME MORE
twitter.com/greak
The B#
imanewbie

Post by The B# »

Time to download, watch, and be disappointed by this movie a third time :lol:

Well, it's enjoyable enough, I suppose. Thanks for the link
somefatman
notanewb

Post by somefatman »

Well, I watched the second movie and I have to say I am not as disappointed as some others have been. It was a good movie, I liked it better than the first one. True it was not scene for scene from the manga but I think they did a good job with what they had. They cut Zodd throwing Guts a sword which really is not that important to the overall plot. They cut the assassination attempt and subsequent murder of the queen which is somewhat important but they had already established Griffith's ruthlessness with the assassination of Julius. They cut the fairy dust and bonfire scene which is important to explain Guts' motivations and Casca's growing feelings but I think they included enough other flash backs to Griffith's speech to cover the motivations and the ballroom scene while needlessly long shows Casca falling for Guts. The only thing I think was really missing is that the rest of the band of the hawks have not gotten as much characterization. Under the time constraints though it is not that surprising. They have been trying - they included enough hints that Judo like Casca, they showed it's surprising when Pippin speaks etc.
Aluja
Mastered PM

Post by Aluja »

I'm not sure what I just saw. Everything just happened to quickly and I'm just confused on what was cut, replaced or removed all together, Not even sure if I enjoyed it or not.

I believe I'm disappointed...
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Ok, just got back from vacation and watched the new movie. Was it just me, or did someone do a rather horrible subing job? The grammer, spelling, etc. was actually painful.

There were plenty of other problems with the movie (see other comments above for most of them; I'll just add that I liked the way Caska got tricked and ended up at a temporary disadvantage during the battle of Doldrey much better as it was done in the manga, the way it happened in the movie was just embarrassing) but the thing that most sticks in my mind was the subbing. At least, I hope it was the subbing, and the original Japanese wasn't that broken.
brunoafh
This is my new home

Post by brunoafh »

I haven't seen any subs, but I'm decent with Japanese and I can say that the dialogue was erratic and the voice actors were unimpressive to say the least. Guts' VA in particular I found to be terrible (in both movies), especially when compared to Nobutoshi Canna's portrayal of Guts, or even the English VA's.

I don't think this really reflects any subbing job though... it was probably just a lazy job.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Yeah, I miss Nobutoshi Canna as Guts.
Gloric
imanewbie

Post by Gloric »

I dunno, I think the new VA puts a good spin on Guts. It suits him in concept imho, a bit more gruff, overgrown stature and the overgrown voice box, as such.

It's by far the very last place in things you could complain about the movie. Not giving you shit or anything, just saiyan.

By far the worst things for me, in the movie(s) so far have been;
1. Added/extended scenes /+ Removed scenes that could have taken their place. I'm not going to get specific, there are far too many.
2. Soundtrack - I really feel that not using any of the original soundtrack, despite using some of the songs for previews/trailers, was a deliberate misleading strategy used against fans. Like it was well known that the series really needed it to pull off the original feeling and they decided not to use it for some reason, either legal or studio disliking it for some reason.
legato
Found the Edit button

Post by legato »

I like it better than the last one, the battle versus Boscone was a bit dissapointing, one of the things I really liked was the breaking sword and Guts' luck on the battlefield. And it shows Zodd again which is cool.
Even though the animations were good, the same went on for the 100 man battle, for me it was one of the selling points of the old anime, if you didn't like it by the time the 100 man battle is over, this is not for you.
Also, there are some weird mistakes. You see the hawks coming back from battle and suddenly its snowing. Why are the hawks waiting outside for Guts? How did they know he'd leave that night? It would have made more sense if they had shown the scene in the bar, who told Griffith? That sort of thing is just bad writing. And don't give me the "time" reason, this is not a 25 episode anime, but movies are not bound by the 22/44 minute rule, anything between 1-3 hours should be acceptable.
The assassination scene is also something you miss because it explains the Midlands kings reasoning and madness.

Overall its weird editing, sure its hard to satisfy the fans of the manga and such, but when you look at the Hellsing Ultimate Series for example, they show you how it should be done.
One volume at a time and even there they made some cuts but they did it right.
brunoafh
This is my new home

Post by brunoafh »

legato wrote:Overall its weird editing, sure its hard to satisfy the fans of the manga and such, but when you look at the Hellsing Ultimate Series for example, they show you how it should be done.
One volume at a time and even there they made some cuts but they did it right.
Precisely.
Texanian
notanewb

Post by Texanian »

I've just watched both Movies in a row.Well ... i think i won't tell anything new you guys have already told.But , i just cant remain silent:

1)CGI is the worst. Those unreal movements during the battles ...Jeez... Gutts wields his sword like it weighs nothing at all..... i looked like a bad joke for me.

2)As expected,from the first minute i got that the movie is totally commercial .... They won't ever put there anything they weren't paid for....As a result - half of the Story was(will be)cut off.....this is terrible.

3)The Music ....rrrrrr ....Old-movie-style soundtrack behind the dialogs was rather disappointing than bad or something....And... that Spain Guitar, during 100 men slaying .....awwwww !...What the Hell ?

But there were things i liked also:

The thing that i really liked is how The Nature drawn(made).Flora,Fauna,Rain,Snow ....i guess Every Season looked beautiful,everything else too.

And .... Caska in that dress ... i couldn't resist...i'm not saying that this is better than Miura drew,but it's definitely better than in the Series.
I mean ...what could a Warrior else dream of?
"Then you will come to think of things in a wide sense, and taking the Void as the Way, you will thee the Way as Void.In the void is virtue, and no evil. Wisdom has existence, principle has existence,spirit is nothingness."- M.M (TBO5R)