Berserk 313 - Men of the Wicked Sea

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

arke
Beware my tactical spam

Berserk 313 - Men of the Wicked Sea

Post by arke »

lon3vvolf
n00b Smasher

Re: Berserk 313 - Men of the Wicked Sea

Post by lon3vvolf »

Thank you thank you thank you!

Detecting a new story arc here... another delay to the elf kingdom but just like McDonalds I'm loving it!
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Yes!!! Thank you so much for the latest chapter, EG! You guys are wonderful.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Well at least the current section is called "Chapter of Elf Island", so we should get there eventually. I was a little disappointed at first when they got to this island and it wasn't Elfhelm, but now I'm really starting to enjoy it. Looks like the next chapter will be pretty action packed! XD
Deathbringer
n00b eater

Post by Deathbringer »

Holy shit, that Call of Cthulhu double spread, fucking creepy.

And turns out Isma is not a sea witch but a sea creature...well kinda; I'm not seeing Miura going for a bad ending with her considering how overall cheery she is but i also don't want her to join up with the group as we already have enough kids with the same disposition. At most i'm seeing Isma reuniting with her merrow mother, becoming one herself and guide Roderick to Elfhelm.

Thanks for the release.
MournfulWoods
This is my new home

Post by MournfulWoods »

Thank you ! Can't wait to be home to read it.

@Deathbringer: dammit I shouldn't have read your post. spoiled the surprise
http://backalleybazaar.wordpress.com
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Direct download of this chapter is ready, come and get it:

http://berserk.kicks-ass.net/
----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Deathbringer
n00b eater

Post by Deathbringer »

MournfulWoods wrote:Thank you ! Can't wait to be home to read it.

@Deathbringer: dammit I shouldn't have read your post. spoiled the surprise
Always read the chapter before viewing the thread, not all posts have to be "thank you" only. :)
rubberchicken
imanewbie

Post by rubberchicken »

I love how utterly casual Guts is about chopping up the cook.

The next chapter comes out this week, doesn't it? EDIT: doh, there's the date right there.
Nakadai
imanewbie

Post by Nakadai »

Two chapters so close together. Miura you spoil us. Thanks EG!
Infini-Tropolis.com
DrPepperPro
Dirty Sennin

Post by DrPepperPro »

Also the next next chapter is 2 weeks again, July 23rd. Here's hoping for consistent 2 week apart chapters and no breaks :beer:
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Ack! Don't say that, you'll jinx it! *crosses fingers* :P

Man, that's still great to know though. Thanks for the info, Doc. Yes, at least we always get a batch of chapters before the next break. It's clear to me now that Miura is at least spending a good section of the time during those breaks to plan and prepare for the chapters ahead. Along with the "Berserk's Nirvana" that Trolos mentioned in the other thread, and the recent debate we've been having. I've finally found my side of the fence, and I think I've personally come to terms with the lengthy breaks in the manga that we as the devout fans have come to endure. If it's for the greater good of this amazing manga, then Miura, do what you do sir. ;)
papasith
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by papasith »

something about the phrase "the villagers are tentacles!" made me laugh a bit. possibly because in my head was willaim shatner saying it.
also we might have more then one chapter in a months time SWEEET. as always im curious where the story is going with all this.
thanks for all the hard work EG!
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

rubberchicken wrote:I love how utterly casual Guts is about chopping up the cook.
Agreed. His reaction there (especially contrasted to that of everyone elses, even his companions) helps to highlight how utterly "normal" Guts finds the sudden appearence of monsters to be.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

DrPepperPro wrote:Also the next next chapter is 2 weeks again, July 23rd. Here's hoping for consistent 2 week apart chapters and no breaks :beer:
No, you've just jinxed it. Quick, take this rabbit's foot, 4 leaf clover and horseshoe, throw the salt over your left shoulder and start praying to every single deity you can think of.

Knock on wood, dammit!
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Nakadai
imanewbie

Post by Nakadai »

DrPepperPro wrote:Also the next next chapter is 2 weeks again, July 23rd.
I'm blown away. Good intel, thanks.
Starnum wrote:
I've finally found my side of the fence, and I think I've personally come to terms with the lengthy breaks in the manga that we as the devout fans have come to endure. If it's for the greater good of this amazing manga, then Miura, do what you do sir. ;)
If it comes down to but a matter of patience that's fine by me, in the end just don't leave me hangin' Miura!
Infini-Tropolis.com
incubus
imanewbie

Post by incubus »

Tha shadow is the kind of shit i saw in "cinematographic language" class. Subtle details whith lights and shadows to express feelings. miura you genius bastard.
Maynard
imanewbie

Post by Maynard »

hell yeah finally, tnx eg.
I'm trying to understand where this whole part will lead to.
Miura doesn't write anything without a purpose, so instead of going straight to Elfheim (which most of the fans were hoping for), he needed a "break" to develop something. This isn't a waste of time.
Perhaps as Deathbringer said. I don't really think that Roderick knows the route to the elf island, since it has been seen as a legend till now...
Still there could be more.
I'm looking forward to seeing how the beast inside Guts will "obey" his master, after the nightmare he had, and how Guts will react to that.
DarkOblivion
imanewbie

Post by DarkOblivion »

Isn't the next chapter due today (9th July)? Or do all Berserk chapters take a while to surface? I very rarely catch a chapter just as it's been released, so pardon my ignorance.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Just because the chapter is released today (or on a certain date) don't expect to see it from us until -at least- a few days later, as we have to find and/or scan the raws, do all the editing and then QC (Quality Control) before we can make the release of our version. I'm sure you understand. We're really looking forward to working on this chapter though, so stay tuned and we'll get it out to you guys as soon as we can. :)
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

Well, if you want immediate releases, you can always read Franky house fast-scans. I mean, if you don't mind seeing the narration and the artwork butchered by halfassed cleaning and translations.
Imagine reading chapters 163-4-5 ("Shadows of an Idea") with crappy redaction, retarded storytelling and the vocabulary of a toddler.
Not so epic anymore, right?

Oh, almost forgot. Thanks guys! :thumb:

P.S. Sorry if my english is getting sloppier than usual. Haven't been able to sleep for 2 days now. Fucking BART. No one told me San Fransisco was gonna be this cold on summer. Here's some random advice: Always have cash, Starbucks cards cannot be exchanged for stuff. Also, sleeping on the streets is not as cool as it is made out to be, but it isn't nearly as "dangerous" as some people claim it is.
One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings.
~Diogenes of Sinope
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Rolos wrote:Well, if you want immediate releases, you can always read Franky house fast-scans. I mean, if you don't mind seeing the narration and the artwork butchered by halfassed cleaning and translations.
Imagine reading chapters 163-4-5 ("Shadows of an Idea") with crappy redaction, retarded storytelling and the vocabulary of a toddler.
Not so epic anymore, right?

Oh, almost forgot. Thanks guys! :thumb:
Thanks dude. We do our best to make the chapters as good as we can, because we're passionate about Berserk as well. To us quality is far more important than speed. Some of the other groups that release Berserk seem to think it's a race, and that if they beat us to the punch, that people will start reading their version instead. For some that may be true. However, unlike them we're not doing this for popularity or to make ourselves look good. We do it because we love working on Berserk and sharing it with others. So we do our best, and then try to get it out to the fans in a timely manner. In the end, if you really can't wait, and there's another version out by another group, then feel free to go read it. We're not going to mind, because this isn't really about being a contest to us, and because it's every fan's right to chose who and what to read and where to go to get it. However, you're always welcome to come back and download our version when you're ready for a higher quality release. That's why we're here, and we appreciate everyone's support. When times are tough, it's one of the things that keep us going. We're fans too, and we understand the desire for a quality release. We may not always be the first ones to release the chapter, but we'll always do our best to get you guys a quality product within a reasonable amount of time. ;)
Rolos wrote:P.S. Sorry if my english is getting sloppier than usual. Haven't been able to sleep for 2 days now. Fucking BART. No one told me San Fransisco was gonna be this cold on summer. Here's some random advice: Always have cash, Starbucks cards cannot be exchanged for stuff. Also, sleeping on the streets is not as cool as it is made out to be, but it isn't nearly as "dangerous" as some people claim it is.
No worries, and damn that sucks. I hope you don't have to sleep on the streets to often man. I've actually been there before, and even if it's not as dangerous as some people might thing, it can still suck balls. Take care dude.
dialdfordesi
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by dialdfordesi »

After being overworked this week, you fine fellows at EG save me. It always seems to be that a chapter of Berserk comes when I could use a stress break!

This chapter definitely kicks ass and I can't wait to see this sea god go down!
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

As always, thanks a lot EG! Your releases are always awesome. I tried once, only once, to read a frankyhouse scan. It was horrible. Like reading something google translated from japanese to german to chinese to english. :P
incubus wrote:Image

Tha shadow is the kind of shit i saw in "cinematographic language" class. Subtle details whith lights and shadows to express feelings. miura you genius bastard.
And yeah, that image IS awesome. Coupled with the noir look, it also shows the duality of Guts. The left side of his face (his left, on the right side of the picture) is still akin to his pre-eclipse self. Minor scratches, but a stern look and black hair. His right side though, in this picture, is his post eclipse self. Always closed eye from the gouging(?), the strand of white hair from all the stress, and the prevalent shadow of the berserk armor neckguard.
The only thing "connecting" the 2 sides is the scar on his nose from Gambino (if it wasn't for that Basterd his life would probably have gone another way) and a little bit from the neckguard armor shadow, kinda like foreshadowing his later life into his former one. Also the shadow kinda looks like a lower jaw that tries to gnaw at his face (pretty much what the "beast" in him tries to do to his more human side).

And all that (minus the Gambino story thing and a few details, ie if is eye is lost or damage or whatever) can be deducted from one awesome mugshot without knowing anything about the story of Berserk. I'm sorry but whoever calls Berserk NOT a piece of art (and this would probably belong more in the "Waiting for miura is a bitch" thread) just doesn't know art. Miura clearly knows a lot about lightning, photography, expressions in pictures, and so on.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

I like that picture as well, but I was thinking about it, and shouldn't there be shading on his neck as well? O.o