I saw Dave Chappelle doing stand up last night (updated).

Way off-topic, and allowed! General discussions on anything and everything.

Moderator: EG Members

Femto
Devourer of Children

I saw Dave Chappelle doing stand up last night (updated).

Post by Femto »

I'll do a write-up on my site soon which I'll then copy+paste here.

I love NYC.

EDIT:

I’ll try to keep the set-up as short as I can (and most likely fail at that).

Basically, my girlfriend and I had made some plans for the day before Thanksgiving and, due to mutual lateness, they got thrown out the window. She had been wanting to go to a comedy club for a while so, after a quick Google search, it was decided that the Comedy Cellar in Greenwich Village would be our destination for the night. It was about 10PM at this point so we quickly scrambled and headed out.

We got there with over half an hour to spare before the 11:30PM show started. I looked at the $18 + 2 drinks cover charge and, because of my unemployment (and this is important later on), I thought it’d be better to either wait until a non-Holiday show or to go to a different, hopefully cheaper comedy club. I quickly browsed on my iPhone (the damn thing is so useful) for comedy clubs around the area and we headed towards one nearby where the show had, unfortunately, just finished. My girlfriend wanted to go back to the Comedy Cellar to check it out and, after a bit of trepidation on my part, we decided to just walk in and enjoy the night.

All the comedians (comics?) were really good, doing about 15-20 minute bits as far as I can tell. It was kind of hard to get a good grasp of time when you’re laughing so hard. I can’t for the life of me remember any of their names unfortunately, but they were all more than worth that initial cover charge.

And then the host threw the bombshell.

“From his hit show in Comedy Central, Chappelle’s Show, here’s Dave Chappelle.”

I thought “what!?” and “really!?”and a bunch of other words followed by question and exclamation marks while I quickly turned around to see if this was some kind of bad joke but lo and behold, it really was Dave Chappelle walking to the stage. I turn to my girlfriend and say: “I have to go to the bathroom but I guess I’m not going now.” I didn’t want to miss a second of this. After a long applause he starts his thing and you eventually realize that he wasn’t as prepared as he would be for, say, one of his HBO stand-up shows. There was a lot of improvisation I thought but I’ll be damned if the guy didn’t deliver. The guy is just funny as hell. He was also on-stage for about 2 hours I’d say, which was probably a lot more than he was supposed to.

It’s around here that we reach the actual exchange that led to the title of this post.

I was sitting rather close to the stage and Dave Chappelle looked at me and asked: “So what’s your story?”

“Me? There’s not much to say,” I replied.

He made some comment that I can’t remember exactly (I can’t remember much of what he said in detail, to be honest). It was something along the lines of people thinking of a million things to say until they get put on the spot to which everybody laughed.

I quickly said: “Well, I’m unemployed if you want to be topical,” and he noted that, in spite of that, I still had money to go to comedy clubs to which people laughed again.

He asked me what I used to do, I told him I was a doorman and he said that some of the smartest people he knew had been doormen. He used one of his writers as an example and then said something along the lines of “well, those are all the examples I got for you, buddy” to which, yes, people laughed once more.

He made a couple more jokes at my expense over the course of the night, much to my delight. The one I most distinctly recall went something like: “I trust this guy here. He opens doors for people, both figuratively and literally.”

My bladder was just about to explode at this point. I was still holding it and I figured I either piss my pants right there and then or I go to the bathroom and miss a minute of his comedy. He had been going on for a while and there was no clear end in sight so I opted for the latter. I start to get up and he says: “Aw, don’t tell you you’re leaving now.”

“No, dude. I’m just going to the bathroom,” I said.

“Well, when you come out, you and your girlfriend are getting a drink on me.”

I kinda froze for a bit and said: “Wow, really!? Thanks, man,” and headed towards the bathroom as a light applause erupted among the crowd. I didn’t know if he was being serious or not but sure enough, soon as I get out of the bathroom a waiter approaches me and asks: “Coors Light and Heineken?” which was what my girlfriend and I had been drinking respectively.

I sat down, thanked Dave again and the show went on. He mentioned me a couple more times after that and I even squeezed in a gay joke in there (my comedic bread and butter) which seemed to put the whole room in a really awkward place. Alas, if I start talking about this night in more detail than I already have I’ll never finish writing this post so let’s wrap this up.

I’m already thinking “I’m definitely writing about this on my site” and, even though I feel as if Dave Chappelle doesn’t really enjoy the picture taking part that Chappelle’s Show brought to his table, I just had to get my picture taken with him so I could add it to that future post I was going to write. So I had my girlfriend take the picture (which lies at the very beginning of this post) and later got to writing that post (which you’re just about done reading).

After we left, my girlfriend asked: “Who was that guy?”

Showing her the way of Chappelle’s Show has become my number one priority right now.

I love New York City.

http://www.sebastianvonbuchwald.com/200 ... e-a-drink/

Good times.
Starnum
Elven King

Re: I saw Dave Chappelle doing stand up last night (updated).

Post by Starnum »

Damn dude, that's awesome. Chappelle is hilarious, it must have been really cool seeing him live and meeting him in person.
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Awesome story, awesome comedian. And lol at the awkward silence after your gay joke :D
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

I'm jealous, that's pretty cool. Did you get to hang out with him after the show or was it only a few words and the picture?
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Only a few words and a picture.

After everything that night, I couldn't ask for more.

I kinda was wished I had told him about my comic though.

The gay joke thing was funny though.

I'm the kind of guy that'll be walking with my friends and I'll just say something like "Come on, man. Let me suck your cock. Just the tip, man, don't be gay," which is more or less what I'm like here.

So I go to the bathroom for like the 3rd time and when I come out Dave says "Hey, we were just talking about you." I say, "really, what about?" and then he says something I can't remember (because fucking Dave Chappelle was talking to me) and I say back "oh, I thought it was about you thinking I was gay."

This is the kind of comment that'll get a "oh, Sebastian," from my friends but, of course, everybody in that room felt really weird all of a sudden. Then Dave got all serious and started saying stuff like "listen, man. Nobody's judging you here," which made me laugh and feel like a douche at the same time.

My girlfriend just pulled at my arm and said, "why the fuck did you say that?"

So that's another part of the story that I didn't write in my blog because, hey, most people have a short attention span and that post was long enough as it is.

Good times.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

That sounds similar to something I might do. Maybe not exactly like that, but I have a tendency to say weird shit or put my foot in my mouth when I get nervous. I'll end up saying something in an odd way, and no one will get it, including myself sometimes, and then I just have to shake my head and say never mind, lol.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

I know exactly what you mean.

I fucking live for the gay jokes but people I don't know (or people that don't know me rather) just shrug or shake their heads at them.

Humor is funny that way.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

homie you gay man... :colbert:
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Gay for you, brutha.
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

If you weren't the one with the Coors Light in that situation Femto, I'm going to have to reach through the internet and smack you.

P.S.: Awesome story
ImageImage
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Maaan. Fuck a coorslight. Heineken is fathomlessly better.
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Heineken is probably the best beer on the planet.

My mother went to Ecuador and brought back a bottle of liquor that people there use to get fucked up real cheap, real fast.

It smells like rubbing alcohol.

It's been a long, long time since I got fucked up on that.

Can't wait.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

El presidente?

We got some uber cheap stuff here thats sure to burn a hole in ur stomach.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

El Presidente is beer and it's really just like every other beer.

It's also not from Ecuador.

I'm talking hard liquor.

The listed ingredients are: alcohol, water, essence.

It's called Tropico Secco.

It's fucked up.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

I'm talkin some hard liquor too.

We have some 6 dollars a bottle shit here called el presidente. pretty nasty stuff.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

There's a beer called El Presidente too hence the confusion.

I'm not big on hard liquor really but that Ecuadorian shit I can't wait to drink.