Little known Berserk facts...

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

hbi2k
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Re: Little known Berserk facts...

Post by hbi2k »

lon3vvolf wrote:Also I think that "The Century Killer" might be a mistranslation of "The 100 man slayer."
Albeit a very poetic and cool one. (-:
Berserk: The Abridged Series: Beating a dead horse with another dead horse.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

Or he could be the baddest thing anyone could think of this century ... but the only guy badder than Guts would be the Skull Knight, and he's Emperor Gaiseric, which means he was alive a 1000 years ago. Excluding him and maybe Hercules, Guts is the baddest guy without the help of those crazy godhand dudes.
Audentis Fortuna Juvet - Virgil
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

The Herald wrote:Or he could be the baddest thing anyone could think of this century ... but the only guy badder than Guts would be the Skull Knight, and he's Emperor Gaiseric, which means he was alive a 1000 years ago. Excluding him and maybe Hercules, Guts is the baddest guy without the help of those crazy godhand dudes.
I dunno. Some of the witches and wizards could be pretty bad in their own right, albeit in a completely different way than Guts.
dialdfordesi
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by dialdfordesi »

Buuhan1 wrote:Absolute Anime is quite a poor source if you ask me. Also what is that title they have for him in the Japanese info? "The Century Killer"?
In cricket, when someone scores over 100 points they call it a century, so "The Century Killer" is using the word in the same way.
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

lon3vvolf wrote: Wait, Gats eye and hair color is brown? His eyes maybe, but I always thought his hair was black. Perhaps its cuz the manga is black and white :D
Also I think that "The Century Killer" might be a mistranslation of "The 100 man slayer."
His eyes may very well be brown, but his hair is definitely black(ish) with the white strain. Although the manga maybe black and white, you can tell the difference between blondes, brown haireds (like some of the prostitutes in Albion) and redheads without problems. Guts definitely falls into the black haired camp.
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Aetherfukz wrote:
lon3vvolf wrote: Wait, Gats eye and hair color is brown? His eyes maybe, but I always thought his hair was black. Perhaps its cuz the manga is black and white :D
Also I think that "The Century Killer" might be a mistranslation of "The 100 man slayer."
His eyes may very well be brown, but his hair is definitely black(ish) with the white strain. Although the manga maybe black and white, you can tell the difference between blondes, brown haireds (like some of the prostitutes in Albion) and redheads without problems. Guts definitely falls into the black haired camp.
Black-Haired Swordsmen FTW.
Let's put a smile on that face...............
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

The Prince wrote:
Aetherfukz wrote:
Black-Haired Swordsmen FTW.
Haven't you been paying attention? It's the "mostly black" swordsman now.
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Nothing gets by you. 8)
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

I figured out a little thing about Princess Charlotte. At that point in history pretty girls, especially aristocrats, were chubby. Charlotte's not chubby enough. None of the noble women are. Casca and Shierke are obviously fine, as is Farnese, but her mother should be bigger. All the nobles ate were sweets and meat, they thought that veggies were beneath them. Any of the nobles in the military would also be fine. The peasants are really good though, but I sometimes have a bit of an issue with the amount of detail some people in Berserk have on their abdomens. I know that they would be devoid of the kind of body fat that is average for is today, but, i don't know, it just seems a little wierd always seeing the six packs all the time. Another thing I noticed was the amount of genitalia shown to be acceptable in Berserk. At the beginning, there was that one very erotic scene with Theresa's mother, but the most you saw was breasts. Then there was that time when Griffith was splashing water with Guts in the castle when you couldn't see anything. It got a little more detailed when Guts had his first time with Caska. But by now every part will be drawn, even if it's not of a sexual nature, right down to body hair. Personally I like it, but it just goes to show how things have changed with what's acceptable over the years.
Lara Skadi
notanewb

Post by Lara Skadi »

yeah, i agree with almost everything you said...about the detailed abdomen, it's really weird some characters who shouldn't have muscles at all having them well defined. The breasts go half that way... the women were supposed to have smaller or at least wilt breasts 'cause they didn't have bra yet (and that makes looots of difference as years go by), but they all have small waistline and nice boobs (n all that good looking body, at least the average looking ones). oh, and they're always showing up. for us it's ok, but considering history they should be more chocked with sexual-related stuff, shouldn't they? I kknow that they're mostly appearing at some dangerous event, but even so they don't seem to care so much about these things as people actually did that age. I also expect more reaction from Schierke sometimes, as a child raised with such a non-war education, but oh well...
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

oh, and they're always showing up. for us it's ok, but considering history they should be more chocked with sexual-related stuff, shouldn't they? I kknow that they're mostly appearing at some dangerous event, but even so they don't seem to care so much about these things as people actually did that age.
Not so much, really. That's a pretty standard stereotype, but that extreme prudishness people tend to picture really didn't show up until the Victorian period.

As for the inacuracy in people's physical appearences...given the obsessive level of (accurate!) detail Miura typically portrays, I'm going to assume that he's aware of these facts and, for once, chooses not to portray them, sacrificing accuracy for art (for which, as a reader, I am duly grateful).
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

In my opinion he doesn't draw people to the historical accuracy beccause then by our standards they wouldn't be attractive and he wouldn't sell as many copies of his books. I'm just saying it's a tiny innaccuracy, but I enjoy the anachronism myself too. But I would still like to see Charlotte a little chubbier, sometimes girls are cuter with a little chub. Only a little though :lol:
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

The Herald wrote:In my opinion he doesn't draw people to the historical accuracy beccause then by our standards they wouldn't be attractive and he wouldn't sell as many copies of his books. I'm just saying it's a tiny innaccuracy, but I enjoy the anachronism myself too. But I would still like to see Charlotte a little chubbier, sometimes girls are cuter with a little chub. Only a little though :lol:
You like to pork fat chicks, we get it!
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

No, that sounds more like something down your alley War Machine. If they only got a little bit of chub their boobs are bigger, aren't they? So far as I've seen all of the Berserk chicks are like sizes B and C, but where are all the Ds and up? And what about the As? They count too. Berserk discriminates against women with small boobs. Shierke doesn't count, she's 13.
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

The Herald wrote:No, that sounds more like something down your alley War Machine. If they only got a little bit of chub their boobs are bigger, aren't they? So far as I've seen all of the Berserk chicks are like sizes B and C, but where are all the Ds and up? And what about the As? They count too. Berserk discriminates against women with small boobs. Shierke doesn't count, she's 13.
Schierke is hot.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

Dude, you better be 13 :P.
Se7en
imanewbie

Post by Se7en »

mmm... Pedobear? :D

Anyways I guess this is Miura's style, some of the assholes or bad guys are normally drawn big, fat, small, skinny, but most of all ugly. And the good guys are all fit and slim... He must also have a fetish for perfect boobs for the women...
The Herald wrote: So far as I've seen all of the Berserk chicks are like sizes B and C, but where are all the Ds and up? And what about the As?
Isn't Slan's bigger than any other chick in Berserk, seeing as she is like a Succubus and all? It's kind of difficult seeing so many of the same sizes with very few exceptions.

*update*

I was strolling through some chapters and came across the Guts vs. Grunbeld fight, freakin' badass. I noticed something strange in this scene:

Am I seeing 2 hands here? I don't think it's an animation because I'm pretty sure Guts already had his metal hand in position to grab the cannon, not turn at the last second to fire or something... Or maybe Miura was still thinking about the old metal arm when drawing that part?
Aeriel
Mastered PM

Post by Aeriel »

It seems that way to me too. Berserker armour acts as a second skin for it's wearer. When activated, it covers whole of Guts' body, including his prostetic hand. On the picture, it seems as the armour has partially withdrawn from the hand, letting it split and reveal the cannon.

Or maybe something totally else. ^_^
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Aeriel wrote:It seems that way to me too. Berserker armour acts as a second skin for it's wearer. When activated, it covers whole of Guts' body, including his prostetic hand. On the picture, it seems as the armour has partially withdrawn from the hand, letting it split and reveal the cannon.
Pretty much.....seemed rather intuitive to me.

Awesome scene BTW.
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Exactly. One of the "hands" is the armor, which has opened up to reveal the cannon, and the other "hand" is his fake hand which has to fold back so that he can fire.
Se7en
imanewbie

Post by Se7en »

I still find it a little strange putting a metal gauntlet on something already fake, and I always thought it was just the Berserker armor doing it's magic. But now I can see how that mechanism works. Though it makes it seem like Guts has a more technological arm than a mechanical one.
Last edited by Se7en on Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Se7en wrote:technological arm than a mechanical one.
Isn't mechanic also technology? 8)
Se7en
imanewbie

Post by Se7en »

Well, I guess I should say a somewhat "Modern-Mechanical-Arm-That-Works-Automatically" instead of "Pulling-A-String-Mechanical-Arm"... Well you know what I mean... My english sucks. :)
DrPepperPro
Dirty Sennin

Post by DrPepperPro »

Puck has a little spiral thing on his finger. I've never noticed it before, but then again Puck's finger is not the most important thing to look at in the manga.

Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Yeah, I think that's a manga technique meant to represent his fingerprint, and nothing more. *shrugs*