Little known Berserk facts...

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

Femto
Devourer of Children

Little known Berserk facts...

Post by Femto »

I recently ordered Berserk volumes 5 and 6 from Dark Horse and I was just reading through volume 6 when I found something very interesting.

I know these early chapters mostly because of the TV series (and I really know the TV series by heart), so it's always fun to see what changes from version to version. Anyway, I was reading the part just before Griffith asks Guts to kill Yurius, when he's telling them about all the books he's read. I had read volume 6 from the Hawks before, so I kinda remembered something changed in that scene when it was translated to the TV series. I was shocked after I re-read what was taken out.

Just after he tells Guts about the books he reads, Griffith shows him a book on Kamasutra and asks him if he wants to borrow it (it's the book Guts flips through while Griffith talks about the assasination). The thing is, the specific position that Griffith has open in the book for Guts to see is... guess what? The very same position he held Caska in just before Guts loses his eye during the Eclipse. It took me a while to see the genius behind this. Not only is it great foreshadowing, but it means that, even though Griffith's appearance and demeanor as Femto is totally different than that of Griffith, he is really just the same person, with the same knowledge and memories. Not only that, but if Guts remembers this particular moment as well, then it kinda adds to the whole Griffith mentally torturing Guts thing, by Griffith pulling him back to the past, when things were great.

Of course, it could also be just a joke Miura put in there or even a coincidence. I somehow doubt it because, even though it's widely accepted that Miura comes up with the story as he goes on, it's pretty safe to say that he had the Eclipse in mind from the moment the book started.

What does everyone think? It this has already been mentioned and discussed, then just close and delete this thread. I wanted to place it somewhere else, but I saw no topic that could hold something that goes as back as the 6th volume. I could also post a scan if somebody doesn't have access to this volume.

I'm going back to reading the 6th volume now, I just had to stop and mention this.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grahf
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Grahf »

hmmm... Upon reading your initial post I just went back to look at it. Nice pic up there. That could also be seen as the turning point in the Gutts/Caska relationship actually. :idea: Well the Beginning that is. :lol:
"Context is for Kings"
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Maybe we could make this a thread about little tidbits you find in Berserk. Good job Femto.
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
NINJ4
Mastered PM

Post by NINJ4 »

Dammmnnnnn, guess i should read Berserk again for the little details like that too! Cool find Fem
Dufraine314
imanewbie

Post by Dufraine314 »

I am 90% sure of Miura have been doing things like that all the time.

And I am almost sure that he has let clues like that about the most important secrets of Berserk. The problem is that we already don´t have the "key" to notice them.

However, Very Good Job Femto. This makes the n-th lectura of the old volumes even more interesting :D
Everybody dies. Not everybody lives.

http://www.mundodvd.com/

http://antisgae.internautas.org/
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

I have always thought that Griffith remembered everything when he became Femto if he didnt why would he rape Caska before Guts eyes.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Well, you know, Griffith did put Casca through several positions. I mean, there are only so many positions that people normally go through anyway. I think it may just be a coincidence, but who knows? Perhaps it was foreshadowing, or a joke from Miura. You know, I think he had the Eclipse in mind from the beginning too. It’s such a major event; surely he had it planned from the beginning. Yeah, I’m sure Griffith remembered everything from before his transformation too. However, I feel that something inside him changed too. I don’t think he’s exactly the same person as he was before, but that’s me. Anyway, interesting find, good work!

Here’s an interesting fact for you guys. Did you know that Miura wrote a forty-volume manga before Berserk called, Miuranger! Yeah, apparently he started it when he was ten and finished it before he graduated from high school! Man, I wonder what that’s about, and how it looks.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Of course Femto isnt the same person Griffith cause everybody would change after becoming a god.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

I know that Femto has Caska in many different poses, but the thing is, the exact same pose he has her in when Guts loses his eye, is the one that is shown in the book. It's the last thing he sees with his right eye (it is the right one, isn't it?). In any case, I'm not trying to start a discussion about something that doesn't have definate proof. I hate people that overanalyze stuff, and I might be doing that right now, but it's an interesting find at least, right?

And I did know about Miura's previous manga. I didn't know it was called Miuranger though. I wonder what it's about? We should turn this thread into a topic about little known Berserk facts like someone suggested, there's only so much you can pull out of the Kamasutra thing.

I can't think of any right now though.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Well, I just thought that Griffith actually learned something from those books he reads and put it in good use :wink: .

But this is pretty interesting, I agree with you there. Perhaps I should nitpick and analyse stuff like that too. It's little things that Muira do that makes this so intruiging.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

I agree. It's all about the little things. It's the difference between a great series and an excellent series.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Since this berserk fact topic now

Have Miura done any other manga other than Berserk and Miuranger.

It would be nice if someone put up facts about Miura.
Starlore
This is my new home

Post by Starlore »

Starnum wrote: Here’s an interesting fact for you guys. Did you know that Miura wrote a forty-volume manga before Berserk called, Miuranger! Yeah, apparently he started it when he was ten and finished it before he graduated from high school! Man, I wonder what that’s about, and how it looks.
Yep...I'd read about that too...It'd be a HELL of a thing to find, but I won't hold my breath hehe. The 'Japan' Manga he worked on, is something I've been digging for off & on since I discovered his talents way back when...Alas, its proven just as difficult to locate :(
"Your father sucks the flaking cocks of lepers in the lowest circle of HELL!!!"

..."Does he swallow?" ~Hellblazer

"Imagination is intelligence with an erection"~Victor Hugo

"Life is a disease...Sexually transmitted & fatal"~Neil Gaiman
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Finding the Miuranger manga would be like getting your hands on the Rio Poneglyph (One Piece reference). It's probably not going to happen. It would be cool though. Yeah, I think we should use this as a little known Berserk facts thread too. You may want to change the title of the thread Femto. Oh, and I do indeed think your kamasutra mention was good one. That's why I said so in my first post. Yep, it probably really was Griffith putting some learned knowledge to the test. :P

Oh, and yeah...it is his right eye.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Why not use some of those postions when he was with Charlotte? Oh yea and that Miuranger name is funny. Everyime I think of it i think of Powerrangers but that look like Miura cause the name is like Miura Ranger but its connected.
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
Arresty
Conversation Killer

Post by Arresty »

With Charlotte he was being nice and gentle, with Casca he was torturing her and Guts. I think him using it htere woudl be a form of laughing in the face of hte man who almost destroyed his dream.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Starnum wrote:Yeah, I think we should use this as a little known Berserk facts thread too. You may want to change the title of the thread Femto.
Done.
Exizil
notanewb

Post by Exizil »

Just after he tells Guts about the books he reads, Griffith shows him a book on Kamasutra and asks him if he wants to borrow it (it's the book Guts flips through while Griffith talks about the assasination). The thing is, the specific position that Griffith has open in the book for Guts to see is... guess what? The very same position he held Caska in just before Guts loses his eye during the Eclipse.
... ... damn Wow.... good find! excelent little "easter egg"
Ashankan-sensei
imanewbie

Post by Ashankan-sensei »

well the kamasutra thing might just be a partly coincidence.
usually when you go through alot of research and work to make a drawing etc, you usually use that position or whatever again cause you know how to draw it well...
Grahf
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Grahf »

Charlotte huh :lol: I doubt she would get it gently now that Griffth has his hands on her again.
"Context is for Kings"
|||||||
Mastered PM

Post by ||||||| »

when griffith was shot by the bolt from the crossbow during the hunt. (Vol. 6) might be imagination, but the arms of the crossbow don't look bent at all, although its loaded.
Since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved.

Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Ashankan-sensei wrote:well the kamasutra thing might just be a partly coincidence.
usually when you go through alot of research and work to make a drawing etc, you usually use that position or whatever again cause you know how to draw it well...
Yeah, that might be true. I think that the most likely scenario is that Miura was joking with us when he drew it, or that it's a just coincidence. It's nice to think that it's intentional though, because something like this can lead to a lot of interesting speculation and discussions.

Just like all the stuff that went through my head when I realized this for the first time.
Elric
imanewbie

Post by Elric »

Arresty Wrote...
"With Charlotte he was being nice and gentle, with Casca he was torturing her and Guts. I think him using it htere woudl be a form of laughing in the face of hte man who almost destroyed his dream."

Arresty, while I totally agree that Griffith was torturing Casca and Guts. I believe Griffith was not simply being nice and gentle with Charlotte. Charlotte was used to ease the pain in Griffith's heart.

The pain of Guts leaving Griffith, was something unimaginable to Griffith. Without realizing it, Guts became very precious Griffith. Griffith simply assumed Guts would always be by his side, more importantly Griffith assumed Guts wanted to be by his side. And why not? Every member in the Band of the Hawk wanted to be with Griffith, wanted to fight for Griffith, wanted to die for Griffith. Why Should Guts be any Different?

Unfortunatley for Griffith, Guts is different, and that is what made Guts so precious to Griffith. Then one day Guts decided to leave the Band of the Hawks, or more importantly to "leave" Griffith. This was simply devastating to Griffith. Imagine Being loved, almost worshipped like Griffith was. But these people don't matter to you. There are simply sheep, and you are their sheperd. These sheep exist to serve you, to serve your purpose. Why shouldn't you "have" thier total devotion. But then you come acome one person, who is not like all the other sheep. This person stands out among the crowd. With time, you come to admire this person, respect them, and even come to love them. It's this person (whom you have grown to love), you end up wanting to acknowledge your existence.

How would Guts acknowledge Griffith's Existence? Gut's wold have to "want" to fight for Griffith, "want" die for Griffith, most importantly "want" to be with Griffith. But Gut's did leave Griffith, and there was absolutley nothing Griffith could do about. Griffith was crushed, his image of himself crushed, by the only man he held in his heart.

When Griffith goes to Charlotte's bed, it was simply soothe the pain inside his heart. He went to the one Person He knew would not reject him.

Which, for me, bring's up an interesting point. Why Charlotte? Why not Caska, I am sure Griffith was fully aware of Caska's feeling's. But I don't Caska would not have been right for the situation. I think Charlotte was much more symbolic. Charlotte was a person of power, one day she would be Queen. You might say the level of political importance is comparable to the importance of Guts to Griffith. I also think with Guts crushing Griffith's world, nothing else mattered, everything was meaningless. So Griffith simply went out crushed any aspiration to become King. Without Guts, there would be no point in becoming King.

I know my post sounds like some kind of torrid love affair. That not my intention. It think it is suppose to be a love that transcends the simple boy/girl relationships. More like, the Bonds of Great Warrios, Forged in the Flames of War, Death, and Destruction. You know, cool stuff like that!

Sorry for the long post, sometimes I can not help myself. As for the Easter Egg, that was awsome! Miura is a genious!
I've got the key to the gates of paradise...
But I've got too many legs!
NINJ4
Mastered PM

Post by NINJ4 »

Guts is Griffith's precious, that's y the only way to kill Guts is to throw him into a sea of lava inside a huge volcano - but, till then Griffith will end up being destroyed by Guts!

Charlotte getting banged... it would have happened sooner or later. If Guts was still there then Griffith would probably have assasinated the king first, then de-flower charlotte becoming the next king. But, since Guts left, Griffith lost it and simply took his steps to king-hood all out of order.

The point of Guts being different from the rest of the Band isn't all that important in the sense that to Griffith, they are simply possesions - like a toy soldier to a child. Instead of Guts leaving, if anyone else were to leave (Casca, Rickert, etc) - Griffith probably woulda reacted the same, since Griffith doesn't really need anyone to acknowledge his existence. They just needed to be possessed by him.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

I hate you all!!! *runs off crying*
Last edited by Buzkashi on Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.