Windows 7 = not so bad

Way off-topic, and allowed! General discussions on anything and everything.

Moderator: EG Members

Femto
Devourer of Children

Windows 7 = not so bad

Post by Femto »

DISCLAIMER: Anybody that posts "I use a Mac" or some other contrived, Mac-dick-sucking bullshit like that can just go fuck themselves right now.

With that out of the way.

It's not that big a jump from XP (I never bothered with Vista) but the new taskbar just kicks ass.

Also nice is that upon installation I did not have to install a single driver other than my Wacom tablet.

I remember scrambling during an XP installation looking for drivers of stuff.

I'm using the release candidate which you can download free until mid-August or so and you guys should try it out if you can.

I think sometime next year you'll be forced to either buy the operating system or remove it.

I'm thinking about buying it.

It's not amazing but it's nice enough that I'd drop 100 bucks on it.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Re: Windows 7 = not so bad

Post by War Machine »

I never bothered updating to Vista either (I like to have my computer functional), but a friend of mine keeps saying that Windows 7 is alright. What Vista should've been. I'll wait for the official release though, I don't wanna bother having to delete it later. I'm not in a hurry for something better than XP anyway, I got a Mac :P.

PS: Buying software is for chumps.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

i use a mac.

which means i can use windows 7 if i wanted to.

which means femto can lick my nut butter

which means hes a homo sexual
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

War Machine wrote:
PS: Buying software is for chumps.
*nods* ......So true.

PS: Currently looking for a way to keep the version of Windows 7 I intend to download. If I find a way, I'll tell you guys ASAP.
One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings.
~Diogenes of Sinope
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

I've read LOTS of good things about 7 in local hardware mags. Seeing as Vista is flashy but rather slow I'm really waiting for 7.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Rolos wrote:PS: Currently looking for a way to keep the version of Windows 7 I intend to download. If I find a way, I'll tell you guys ASAP.
Why bother with that, by the time the license runs out, you should try to get the official release instead.
Aetherfukz wrote:I've read LOTS of good things about 7 in local hardware mags. Seeing as Vista is flashy but rather slow I'm really waiting for 7.
Now that you mention it, I have no idea of what's new or different in WIndows 7 when compared to Vista other that it's not a resource hog.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

War Machine wrote:Now that you mention it, I have no idea of what's new or different in WIndows 7 when compared to Vista other that it's not a resource hog.

That's some of the new stuff.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

I don't like the shaking windows to make them disappear, it seems very unintuitive, but I do like the frequently accessed documents. Is that it though? 3 years and that's all they got to show for it?
arke
Beware my tactical spam

Post by arke »

It's a usable Vista. Of course, Vista itself is actually usable now but the public is still fixated on the Vista == sux from when it was released. So they're going to throw Vista under the bus and release a polished version as 7.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

That's the first thought that came into my mind when I first heard of Windows 7, that it's being made to forget Vista ever happened (kinda like Windows ME, remember that shit? Me neither). But I thought it'd get a few more new features considering they expect people to pay full price even if they already have Vista.
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

arke wrote:It's a usable Vista. Of course, Vista itself is actually usable now but the public is still fixated on the Vista == sux from when it was released. So they're going to throw Vista under the bus and release a polished version as 7.
Yeah since Service Pack 1 Vista is quite useable, even it it still hogs a lot of resources - and to be honest I only changed from XP to Vista on my home system for DirectX 10 in games. We now have one workstation at my workplace with Vista 64 (for the latest AutoDesk Inventor and stuff) and we had to buy all new CorelDraw, PhotoShop, Framemaker software although we didn't really want or need the updates just because the last versions (i.e. PhotoShop CS2 AND CS3 which isn't that old) just couldn't be run under Vista 64. I really hope that compatibility stuff gets better under 7. But from a usability and intuitivity level Vista was a huge step up from XP, and I imagine 7 will only finetune all these things instead of reinventing them.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Windows 7 still comes in two versions for each edition: 32-bit and 64-bit. So that little problem with programs for 32-bit not working in 64-bit is going to stay. People will also have to be more careful with which edition they get, each edition of the three available (Home Premium, Professional, Ultimate) comes in two versions, so that's 6 different versions of Windows 7 to look out for (that is if you omit the Starter edition but that one is not going to be sold to the general public).
DrPepperPro
Dirty Sennin

Post by DrPepperPro »

Aetherfukz wrote:Yeah since Service Pack 1 Vista is quite useable, even it it still hogs a lot of resources - and to be honest I only changed from XP to Vista on my home system for DirectX 10 in games. We now have one workstation at my workplace with Vista 64 (for the latest AutoDesk Inventor and stuff) and we had to buy all new CorelDraw, PhotoShop, Framemaker software although we didn't really want or need the updates just because the last versions (i.e. PhotoShop CS2 AND CS3 which isn't that old) just couldn't be run under Vista 64. I really hope that compatibility stuff gets better under 7. But from a usability and intuitivity level Vista was a huge step up from XP, and I imagine 7 will only finetune all these things instead of reinventing them.
I've been using photoshop cs3 with different versions of vista for 2 years.

Now I'm using windows 7 and it's good.
Finito
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by Finito »

bah, im not into themes, WMP12 still as useless, I still have to dl codec packs, shaking windows suck, lets hope it can be switched off, i have not had any compatibility problem with windows XP for any program/game/software ive ever used. Loads of useless gadgets to me. Only reason to get is to keep up with the programs, i hate having to reinstall WMP9 or service packs everytime I reformat. Its free anyway.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Nice summary of my feelings about Windows 7 and Microsoft in general from daringfireball.net (a technology blog that I frequent):
[...]Vista was a disaster for Microsoft. Windows 7 is, supposedly, the light at the end of the tunnel. But the best consensus about Windows 7 is only that it’s not going to be a complete and total clusterfuck like Vista. That it’s something XP users will actually want to upgrade to. Something that, when it comes pre-installed on a new machine, will not prompt questions about how to downgrade to XP.

But no one seems to be arguing that Windows 7 is something that will tempt Mac users to switch, or to tempt even recent Mac converts to switch back. It doesn’t even seem to be in the realm of debate. But if Windows 7 is actually any good, why wouldn’t it tempt at least some segment of Mac users to switch? Windows 95, 98, and XP did.

Microsoft seems to have conceded that the enthusiasts who’ve switched to the Mac in recent years are gone for good. Their apparent goal for Windows 7 was merely to make something better than Windows Vista. If Microsoft were a healthy, functional, competitive company willing and able to honestly assess its own shortcomings — like the Microsoft of the ’90s that conquered the entire industry — their goal would have been to make something not just better than Vista, but better than anything else on the market, including Mac OS X.[...]

Source
Click on the source for the rest of the article if you wanna read it, but that's the only part that talks about Windows 7 specifically.
papasith
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by papasith »

i didn't realize it was out already. are people on some sort of trial, or is it infact out/ cracked
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

It's basically a public beta, not a cracked version or anything.
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

I've been using Windows 7 since beta (now on Release Candidate), and I intend to get myself a legal copy ASAP.

Every time my computer boots up in less than 60 seconds (which is every time I hit the switch these days) I get an erection.

It's just that good.
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

DrPepperPro wrote:I've been using photoshop cs3 with different versions of vista for 2 years.
64 bit Vista? I just couldn't get it to run on our workstation.
Finito wrote:bah, im not into themes, WMP12 still as useless, I still have to dl codec packs, shaking windows suck, lets hope it can be switched off, i have not had any compatibility problem with windows XP for any program/game/software ive ever used. Loads of useless gadgets to me. Only reason to get is to keep up with the programs, i hate having to reinstall WMP9 or service packs everytime I reformat. Its free anyway.
VLC. Everything else just sucks huge monkey balls.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

LordMune wrote:Every time my computer boots up in less than 60 seconds (which is every time I hit the switch these days) I get an erection.
So it only took them 3 years to upgrade Windows so it can boot as fast as XP.

Seriously though, my WIndows XP partition boots in like 40 seconds.
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

Aetherfukz wrote:VLC. Everything else just sucks huge monkey balls.
While VLC will play most formats, it does not play many of them well. CCCP is far superior at handling soft-subs, multiple audio/video streams and multi-channel audio.
War Machine wrote:So it only took them 3 years to upgrade Windows so it can boot as fast as XP.

Seriously though, my WIndows XP partition boots in like 40 seconds.
For me, Win7 boots faster than XP on identical hardware. I think Win7 handles processes executing at launch a bit better than XP.
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

LordMune wrote:
Aetherfukz wrote:VLC. Everything else just sucks huge monkey balls.
While VLC will play most formats, it does not play many of them well. CCCP is far superior at handling soft-subs, multiple audio/video streams and multi-channel audio.
What's a soft-sub? Video with extra file / container where the subtitle information is stored? If so, that's just like an MKV with different subtitle streams, right? Never had any problem with these in VLC to be honest. I have a Trigun rip with japanese and english audio, english and german subtitles as mkv files, and they all work funky fine. :P
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Microsoft just loves making shit complicated.

Let's forget for a second that the graph could've been much simpler and focus on the most important thing: Why the hell do I have to backup all my stuff to upgrade to Windows 7? How hard is it to keep one or two folders?
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Holy mother of mammaries!

So I would need to buy Windows 7 Ultimate 64... and that costs a fucking 315 Euros (450 Dollar)!?
No way in hell am I gonna spend such an amount for an operating system, especially such a minor upgrade.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Meh.

If you're smart you'll back-up your shit before installing a new operating system no matter what.

I don't see what all the fuss is about.