Deadman Wonderland

Have a fetish for dead wood comics, or you just like the better story development of the Manga? Post about 'em here.

Moderator: EG Members

Starnum
Elven King

Deadman Wonderland

Post by Starnum »

I recently discovered this interesting new manga that just came out not too long ago. So I thought I'd give everyone a heads up. Check it out if you get the chance, and chat about it here! XD

"Ganta Igarashi has been convicted of a crime that he didn't committed, and sent to a new, privately owned and operated prison, where the inmates are the main attraction in a modern day twist to the gladiatorial coliseums of ancient times. Throw in a healthy dose of weird little girl, some new-found super powers, and a little conspiracy theory, and you have Deadman Wonderland."
papasith
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Re: Deadman Wonderland

Post by papasith »

im suprised no one else has commented on this yet... but i just read through what is out so far... wow i really like this one... although most the undertakers are seriously scary
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Undertakers you say, interesting! I haven't read it all yet, actually, heh. I'm only on chapter 12 or so. Anyway, I should catch up, because it had just started getting pretty good where I left off. Thanks for posting, I thought I had made this thread in total vain, but meh, it happens, heh.
uncempt
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by uncempt »

So is the weird little girl wearing nothing but a collar the whole time? That seems kinda gratuitous...
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Heh, no I think she's wearing a skin tight bodysuit. That's at least a little better, right? Oh, and she's not really a little girl, she's a scary monster. XD

*edit*

Just read up to chapter 15, pretty crazy shit, but it's good and interesting at least.
papasith

Post by papasith »

mabe it says something about me. but i love stories that have people faceing huge HUGE problems (like this, gantz, zetman, berserk) and have the charcaters matureing, changeing, and eventually riseing to try to overcomes things no matter how dark they get. This is another story that does that quite well. Quite a few suprises and a few plot facts you find out before the charcaters find out that just make you wonder whats gonna happen when everyone finds out....
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Conflict is crucial in good storytelling.
Grahf
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Grahf »

I haven't kept up wit this one. I actually stopped reading at the part where girl comes back. After they had seperated from one another.

This is truely one main character in a manga that I truely feel sorry for..
"Context is for Kings"
DrPepperPro
Dirty Sennin

Post by DrPepperPro »

I stopped after the first chapter.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

DrPepperPro wrote:I stopped after the first chapter.
Then you're missing out, cuz it gets better.
DrPepperPro
Dirty Sennin

Post by DrPepperPro »

I don't like this kind of manga. To narutoish.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

DrPepperPro wrote:I don't like this kind of manga. To narutoish.
:lol:

This manga is nothing like Naruto, you're way off. They're not even in the same genre. Naruto is shonen and DW is listed as mature or "seinen".
DrPepperPro
Dirty Sennin

Post by DrPepperPro »

Starnum wrote:
DrPepperPro wrote:I don't like this kind of manga. To narutoish.
:lol:

This manga is nothing like Naruto, you're way off. They're not even in the same genre. Naruto is shonen and DW is listed as mature or "seinen".

It's too shounenish then, regardless of what it's marked as.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Heh, not...really. :?
papasith

Post by papasith »

i can see where you would think this after seeing only the first chapter, but it changes, once you think it has established a routine, then it changes on you. trust me after the 2nd or 3rd chapter alone (i think, im not double checking) then the story goes in diffrent directions
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Right, you can't really judge this manga from the first chapter alone. I can kind of see where you're coming from as well, but trust us when we say that this manga is more mature than Naruto, and they don't really have very much in common at all, I assure you. The art isn't only more mature, but so is the story,and the lives of the characters are much more finite as well, heh.

I'm up to chapter 20 now, man what a crazy ass cliff hanger. Everything really has gone to hell. Just when you thought things were going to work out they stab you in the back and then twist the knife, bastards! I can't wait to read more of this deliriously good manga. ;)
papasith

Post by papasith »

sweet someone else finally picked this up. i was thinking it feel to the way side
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Really? Good to know. I was wondering when some new chapters were going to be available. I'll check around.
Grahf
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Grahf »

I really stopped reading this. I'm guessing once my computer gets up and running again I'll pick this up again.
"Context is for Kings"
Dominion
This is my new home

Post by Dominion »

sage for naruto

- 14 year old protagonist
- exceedingly large cast of young children/adults with (only) handsome features
- every other character has super powers, or maybe it's just every character, and said powers have some sort of limit that is dramatized as much as possible

i surmise that if two popular characters end up fighting each other that one of the following will occur:

- neither will lose/win
- one will die but miraculously return from the dead

really though shounen mangas are all about comparisons between the characters; the one(s) the reader empathizes with and how the relate to the other characters in the manga. its sort of a way to introduce the reader to the idea that everyone is unique and different and this fact should be cherished... too bad everyone in real life have no super powers or i'd have agreed that DmWl is a seinen-type manga

check out this manga if you want to know what i would consider a seinen manga: http://imangascans.com/index.php?site=s ... taticID=10 - better synopsis here: http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=14739
too bad is the only gem in the group's pile... leona explosion has good artwork though :lol:
"Happiness is an inside job"
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

Dear sir, I would like to congratulate you for getting it. Getting what?
Oh, you know. You get it, after all. Few people do, and you're now part of that select club.
Hear that guys? He gets it.

Do you have any other seinen series/mangas you'd like to recommend?
One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings.
~Diogenes of Sinope
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Meh, so DMW's not the most seinen manga ever. I'll concede to that. That's just how it was listed. *shrugs*
DrPepperPro
Dirty Sennin

Post by DrPepperPro »

Dominion wrote:check out this manga if you want to know what i would consider a seinen manga: http://imangascans.com/index.php?site=s ... taticID=10 - better synopsis here: http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=14739
too bad is the only gem in the group's pile... leona explosion has good artwork though :lol:
That group also does Ikigami, quite a good seinen. Actually the official english releases are probably gonna pass them up, which is fine.
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

Ikigami is awesome*. Do you know anymore relatively obscure mangas like that?

*= my only problem with it is that some of the supporting characters in the "mini-arcs" are very, very stereotypical, which in its own way is also kinda cool, because I know people like that.
One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings.
~Diogenes of Sinope
DrPepperPro
Dirty Sennin

Post by DrPepperPro »

I don't have any suggestions because I don't remember what I read anymore.