Movies of ´09

Way off-topic, and allowed! General discussions on anything and everything.

Moderator: EG Members

The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Re: Movies of ´09

Post by The Herald »

Beast Wars and Beast Machines were animated in Vancouver, as were Reboot and Shadow Raiders, if anyone out there is a fan of Mainframe. They're called Rainmaker now, and they've been talking about releasing new Reboot for forever.
Audentis Fortuna Juvet - Virgil
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Transformers 2 was kinda good. Real good Popcorn cinema (if that makes sense in english) where you just turn off some logic part of your brain and enjoy the sweet ride. I liked it more than the first one because transformers-human interaction was more abound, but all the comic relief was too much. At times it was fitting, but most times it just seemed artificial and made no sense - like the little decepticon humping Megan Fox's leg. The old decepticon turned autobot (Blackjet?) was awesome though as was the endfight.
[spoiler]But Optimus' last upgrade was so completely rediculous that I hated it from the start. So yeah Blackjet sacrifices himself to give Optimus more power, and after he beats the bad guys, he just throws his Upgrades - which were pretty much made of the "soul" of his fellow autobot - to the ground? What a fucking leader is that? The story about the Primes was nice though, and as far as I recall pretty much identical to the concept in the old Cartoon.[/spoiler]

Concerning the old cartoon. I fucking loved it as a kid in the 80s. But I tried watching some episodes last year, only to be completely put off of it after the second episodes because that shit is so aweful, even all the nostalgia in the world can't make me rewatch it :D
Beastwars was better in every way to the original and could still be enjoyed today I think.

--

Gonna try to watch Bruno next week, but our local cinema only seems to air the german dubbed version right now - and I simply won't watch that. The TV show always aired in english with german subtitles (and though they only serve to distract me I can see how the broad masses need them) and dubbing over it completely destroys the shows feel. They should just air the movie with subtitles too, dubbing "documentaries" is always wrong.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

I guess Ryan Reynolds will be Hal Jordan in the Green Lantern movie.

Sigh.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

When did Ryan Reynold become an action movie guy anyways? He was a comic guy, and that's all he should be. He wasn't even worth watching in The Proposal, Sandra Bullock carried the whole movie, however bad it was. All these romcom ideas work in long drawn out animes or mangas or tv shows, but in movies they just don't work, unless they're really good then you get a classic like When Harry Met Sally.
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

The Herald wrote:When did Ryan Reynold become an action movie guy anyways? He was a comic guy, and that's all he should be. He wasn't even worth watching in The Proposal, Sandra Bullock carried the whole movie, however bad it was. All these romcom ideas work in long drawn out animes or mangas or tv shows, but in movies they just don't work, unless they're really good then you get a classic like When Harry Met Sally.
Ryan Reynold's has a hot wife and is jacked!
Let's put a smile on that face...............
Loeviz
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Loeviz »

Aetherfukz wrote:Transformers 2 was kinda good. Real good Popcorn cinema (if that makes sense in english) where you just turn off some logic part of your brain and enjoy the sweet ride. I liked it more than the first one because transformers-human interaction was more abound, but all the comic relief was too much. At times it was fitting, but most times it just seemed artificial and made no sense - like the little decepticon humping Megan Fox's leg. The old decepticon turned autobot (Blackjet?) was awesome though as was the endfight.

I thought The beginning of the movie was ok but then it went downhill pretty fast after one hour.
The plot was ridiculous and the climax at the ending was just a big wtf! for me.
They must have picked up that in the first movie the little Decepticon turned to a favorite and cause of that tossed in 30 of them in the sequel.
[spoiler]And what the hell was the deal in the scene where Optimus dies, first they are in the middle of the city and in 3 seconds they are out in the woods with noone around.[/spoiler].
I´m glad I didnt pay to see this, had free tickets.

By the way the old ones name was Jetfire

\"No Sane man will dance.\"
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero (106-43 BC)
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Geoff Johns is producing and co-writing the live action Flash movie.

Whoo-hoo!
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

I think I'm going to cry, they've put a hold on production of the Magneto movie to make the Deadpool origins movie.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Femto wrote:Geoff Johns is producing and co-writing the live action Flash movie.

Whoo-hoo!
I don't know. Some of his dialogue don't really translate well in movies (at least, in my opinion). Some of his line relies on one-liners, which might be overbearing over and over again if seen in a motion picture. Note that there is a distinction between comic book dialogue and comic book storylines, if you're thinking of using comic book movies to counter my claim.

I'm trying to keep an open mind here, but at the same time, I'm being skeptical.

Have you seen that Smallville episode that Geoff Johns penned? Was it any good? Maybe we could somehow use that as an indicator.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Eldo wrote:
Femto wrote:Geoff Johns is producing and co-writing the live action Flash movie.

Whoo-hoo!
I don't know. Some of his dialogue don't really translate well in movies (at least, in my opinion). Some of his line relies on one-liners, which might be overbearing over and over again if seen in a motion picture. Note that there is a distinction between comic book dialogue and comic book storylines, if you're thinking of using comic book movies to counter my claim.

I'm trying to keep an open mind here, but at the same time, I'm being skeptical.

Have you seen that Smallville episode that Geoff Johns penned? Was it any good? Maybe we could somehow use that as an indicator.
You're too jaded.

Geoff Johns knows the Flash.

It's going to be awesome.

And I saw Green Lantern: First Flight.

It was OK.

It kinda dragged somewhere in the middle but the third act was pretty good.

The quality of animation in these direct to DVD movies has been getting better and better and this is one of their best efforts yet.

I downloaded it but I might still buy it when it comes out in a couple weeks.
dialdfordesi
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by dialdfordesi »

Man, I really wish I saw Twilight now!
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

:lol: That would probably have been a much better version of the movie.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Me and my bro knowns as Shaka Zulu here saw Public Enemies last night. It was awesome, i enjoyed the camera work,visual style. How they didnt make a romantic hero of Dillinger. Depp was awesome. I liked Bale and Crudup as Hoover too.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

The one thing i didnt like about public enemies was the camera work. That handycam bullshit doesnt always cut it. Sorry michael mann.

It was nice on Collateral tho...
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

Femto wrote: Geoff Johns knows the Flash.

Geoff Johns knows the Flash because he is, in fact, Zoom:

"Green Lantern. Ffffffflash. Rouges. Superman. I will make you better characters, bymakingyourlives tragic. Trrrrragedy is the way tobecomebetter heroes and villains."
ImageImage
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Buzkashi wrote:The one thing i didnt like about public enemies was the camera work. That handycam bullshit doesnt always cut it. Sorry michael mann.

It was nice on Collateral tho...
Camera work was awesome to me. It fit the story,historical times. Some movies makes those times look a paradise in the sun with all the color,wide camera angles.

The only thing i didnt like at times with the color schemes, sometimes it looked a bit too documentary visually.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

All i'm saying is it wouldnt kill michael mann to use a tripod from time to time. . .

epsecially in scenes were it was just dialouge.
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Variety is reporting director Ridley Scott has signed on to make a prequel to his 1979 hit "Alien." For the past ten years or so, Scott has expressed an interest in returning to the concept.
http://www.variety.com/article/VR111800 ... 1&nid=2562

Fucking awesome.

I hope they finally explain what the deal with the Space Jockey is.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

i'm more interested in ridley scott's robin hood, though i'll bet it will be a little hard to stomach, like kingdom of heaven. he has trouble with humour, and, well, i will always love the old kevin costner robin hood.
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Libaax wrote:Me and my bro knowns as Shaka Zulu here saw Public Enemies last night. It was awesome, i enjoyed the camera work,visual style. How they didnt make a romantic hero of Dillinger. Depp was awesome. I liked Bale and Crudup as Hoover too.
Good to know. Gonna watch it with friends this weekend. I pretty much love every movie Johnny Depp appears in, he's just an awesome (character) actor.

Also, I can't wait for Inglorious Basterds, but that only comes out August 21th around here :(
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

The Ugly Truth was very funny, good sex jokes, but it suffered towards the end.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Leaked Iron Man 2 footage from Comic Con.

Shitty quality though.

http://blog.newsarama.com/2009/08/09/ir ... s-the-web/

Fuck Cheadle, I want Terrence Howard back.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Video got taken down. :?
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

That sucks.

I hope some of you got to see it at least.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

They've got all this newsfeed stuff coming from Marvel.com, you might as well check there for any info.