Movies of ´09

Way off-topic, and allowed! General discussions on anything and everything.

Moderator: EG Members

The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Re: Movies of ´09

Post by The Herald »

Yay:
Audentis Fortuna Juvet - Virgil
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

I like how there are virtually no Asian actors in a a movie that is deeply rooted in Asian culture.

Silly Hollywood.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

The director is asian.
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Buzkashi wrote:The director is asian.
Shyamalan is not Asian, you dolt.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

He's not indian?
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

You got me by the balls, Buzkashi.

You knew I meant East Asia, of course, but I digress.

Let's just say replace every instance of me saying the word "Asian" with the word "Chinese" and call it a day.

Semantics are a bitch and I'll give you this one, you miserable bastard.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Femto wrote:Let's just say replace every instance of me saying the word "Asian" with the word "Chinese" and call it a day.
lol u mexican

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

Well, Zuko, Zhao and Ozai are all Indian, and Iroh is Iranian. To be fair, Avatar is very fantasy (platypus-bear anyone), the original writers were all Americans, and they are all major producers of the movie. Because of that you can't really be that critical on it can you? And Jedis are all sorta based on Asian culture, and not many, if any that I can name, are Asian.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Femto wrote:You got me by the balls, Buzkashi.
SCORE
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Femto wrote:
Buzkashi wrote:The director is asian.
Shyamalan is not Asian, you dolt.
I thought James Cameron was gonna direct Avatar. :wtf: What a disappointment !

Well at least we can expect a really cool surprise ending. I'm just hoping it will be as epic as The Happenin.....
Let's put a smile on that face...............
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

The Herald wrote:Well, Zuko, Zhao and Ozai are all Indian, and Iroh is Iranian. To be fair, Avatar is very fantasy (platypus-bear anyone), the original writers were all Americans, and they are all major producers of the movie. Because of that you can't really be that critical on it can you? And Jedis are all sorta based on Asian culture, and not many, if any that I can name, are Asian.
What the hell is this guy talking about?
Let's put a smile on that face...............
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

You're confusing "Avatar: The Last Airbender" with just "Avatar."

The former is a live action adaptation of an American cartoon.

The latter is the James Cameron movie you're thinking of.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

The Cameron 'Avatar' has been on the shelves for more than a decade, and they were about to lose their name to the people doing 'The Last Airbender' movie because they wanted to call the movie 'Avatar'. This is because the original TV show was called 'Avatar: The Last Airbender'. I forsee this being confused many more times over.

Also, as far as Shamalamadingdong goes, or whatever his name is, he's very good at directing children, and I almost wouldn't want any other director doing an action movie about 12 to 17 year olds.
papasith
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by papasith »

shamalan is a great director. i think his writeing skills suck,(IMHO) so mabe this movie will be good if he did not write it
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

I agree with you, all he does is throw one twist after the other. I loved how South Park made fun of that in "Imagination Land".
One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings.
~Diogenes of Sinope
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

Shamalan helped write the screenplay for The Last Airbender, but he Dimartino and the other head writers of the show are heavily involved in this project. Plus, I think that Shamalan is finally getting that he's not the best writer, he got lucky with the Sixth Sense.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

So I watched Bruno.

It was so hilarious. There were some parts that made me cringe, but not in a bad way. Just in a 'oh my god that's so fucked up hahaha' way.

I thought that it was better than Borat.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

I can't wait to see Bruno! Sacha Cohen is great.

I did go see Transformers 2 though, giant robots! I thought it was a lot better than the first movie. There were a lot more transformers this time, which I was glad to see. Also, you could actually see what the fug was going on during the fights this time, and they actually had guns and weapons, like they should, thank you!
dialdfordesi
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by dialdfordesi »

I'm glad you liked Transformers 2, but I absolutely hated it! They made it way too goofy in my opinion.
[spoiler]The twins were ridiculous and unnecessary...speaking of which, why does there have to be a decepticon humping Megan Fox's leg?[/spoiler]
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

I'd rather not waste a movie ticket finding out how bad this Transformers is. It doesn't look good, and I'm not a fan of Transformers like I am for other things, say Starwars or Dragonball.
Last edited by The Herald on Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

The Herald wrote:it is part of my degree to look at actors, no matter how young
This should become my sig.

On another note, Shia Labeouf sucks, he always plays the same part in all his movies.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

I guess the only Transformers I'll ever like is Beast Wars.
Last edited by The Herald on Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

The Herald wrote:fugly hollywood slut
Hahahahaha!

Sure, man.

Whatever you say.

I just saw Transformers 2 myself and thought it was pretty bad but enjoyable in the same way the first one (also bad) was, i.e. giant robots beating the crap out of each other here and there.

Juiced up Optimus was perhaps a bit too silly and twins were absolutely and completely horrible but again, the movie was rather enjoyable if you shut your brain down.

I do think the first one had better "awesome parts" though, like Optimus Prime vs. Bonecrusher, "One shall stand, one shall fall" and my absolute favorite: Jazz: "You want a piece of me? You want a piece of me?!" Megatron as he rips Jazz in half: "No. I want two."
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

dialdfordesi wrote:I'm glad you liked Transformers 2, but I absolutely hated it! They made it way too goofy in my opinion.
[spoiler]The twins were ridiculous and unnecessary...speaking of which, why does there have to be a decepticon humping Megan Fox's leg?[/spoiler]
Well of course that shit was retarded. I hate all the stuff with Sam and his family, and all the corny ass jokes. It's far from a perfect movie, I just thought the second one was a lot better, because there was a lot more focus on the transformers this time. Also, you could see the fights a lot better this time around, and could tell what was going on since the camera wasn't all up in their grill the whole time. Plus they had a lot more guns, instead of rolling around like MMA wrestling robots so much. I just thought the action was a lot better, and the robots were better, and that's all I really care about with these movies. It's called Transformers, you know, not "Sam and his family and hot ass slutty girlfriend". You definitely have to turn your brain off for all that shit. I didn't like the twins at first, but they had their moments I guess.

[spoiler]Also, the Devastator was badass, and I liked the upgrade that Optimus got at the end too. That's how it should be done, mecha always get upgraded at the end. ;)[/spoiler]
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

The Herald wrote:I guess the only Transformers I'll ever like is Beast Wars.
I'm a big fan of Beast Wars, I was too young when the original transformers stopped airing and Beast Wars ruled morning cartoons. I only saw the originals though, when Trans Metal came out they also changed the schedule and I only got to watch a few episodes, then the new series came up and most characters died (pretty much all the cool ones) and that was it.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel