Movies of ´09

Way off-topic, and allowed! General discussions on anything and everything.

Moderator: EG Members

Loeviz
Crusher of Dreams

Movies of ´09

Post by Loeviz »

Ok so new year and it seems like its time for a new thread for this.

The Curious case of Benjamin Button - It was way better then what I had expected it to be, but the ending could have been a little different.

Slumdog Millionare - This was an awesome movie, liked it a lot. Danny Boyle has hit a homerun with this one.

The Wrestler - Yet again an awesome movie, I knew that wrestling was all a hoax :P
A must see.

Gran Torino - Clint Eastwood surely knows how to pick good movies (Except for Letter from.... Didnt like those). Was laughing my ass of when he cant remember the names of people :D

Lakeview Terrace - Samuel L Jackson is literally an ass in this movie. Pretty good movie.

\"No Sane man will dance.\"
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero (106-43 BC)
dialdfordesi
I live in a giant bucket.

Re: Movies of ´09

Post by dialdfordesi »

Slumdog Millionaire was a really good movie. My favorite scene was definitely the one with Amitabh Bhachan!
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
DrPepperPro
Dirty Sennin

Post by DrPepperPro »

Hi guys in the future. Dragonball sucked. Quote me on this later.
Loeviz
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Loeviz »

dialdfordesi wrote:Slumdog Millionaire was a really good movie. My favorite scene was definitely the one with Amitabh Bhachan!

Haha that scene made me a little sick to be honest :P

My best friends girl - This movie was really hilarious, was watching it with my date and she didnt appreciate it as much as I did, so dont do what I did :D

\"No Sane man will dance.\"
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero (106-43 BC)
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

Loeviz wrote:Ok so new year and it seems like its time for a new thread for this.

The Curious case of Benjamin Button - It was way better then what I had expected it to be, but the ending could have been a little different.

Slumdog Millionare - This was an awesome movie, liked it a lot. Danny Boyle has hit a homerun with this one.

The Wrestler - Yet again an awesome movie, I knew that wrestling was all a hoax :P
A must see.

Gran Torino - Clint Eastwood surely knows how to pick good movies (Except for Letter from.... Didnt like those). Was laughing my ass of when he cant remember the names of people :D

Lakeview Terrace - Samuel L Jackson is literally an ass in this movie. Pretty good movie.

Dude, "Letters from Iwo Jima" was the best movie Clint Eastwood has ever directed!

Recently watched Twilight, mainly because my sister wanted someone to watch it with her. It sucked. BIGTIME. I read the book and knew what kind of crap to expect, but this totally blew my mind.
Remember that nightmare you had as a kid? You know, the one that, to this day, causes you insomnia and other various sleeping disorders? Twilight beats that.
One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings.
~Diogenes of Sinope
Finito
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by Finito »

The maturity level of that movie was so low, I think Twilight was aiming for an audience of 10yo or less and it should have came out in 1998.
Gaiseric
Tastes like burning!

Post by Gaiseric »

What did you expect from a mormon author?
"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then
blames them for his own mistakes." - Gene Roddenberry
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Gran Torino - Maybe a little predictable and slow paced, but solid story and character developtment. I liked it.
[spoiler]I just found it sad that the Walt didn't try to make amends with his son.[/spoiler]
Defiance - Another movie about the holocaust, but I really liked Daniel Craig's and Liev Schreiber's characters. Definitely worth watching.

Seven Pounds - Throughout the movie you keep getting bits and pieces about the story until you finally get the whole picture near the end about what Will Smith's character is trying to do. Another movie worth watching.
Rolos wrote:I read the book and knew what kind of crap to expect, but this totally blew my mind.
You read that crap? All I needed was the title to know how sappy that story would be.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

You see, every time I told my sister that, she would say: "nah, you can't say anything about a book you havent read" in a very, very high-pitched voice.
I can only assume it was that annoyingly repetitive answer that caused the necessary lapse of insanity that made the "I should read it so I can scorn her reading preferences with any true authority" make sense.
It was a stupid decision, but now I can say without a single trace of doubt: It's a complete and utter piece of shit. Whoever wrote it should be killed slowly and painfully, preferably while being eaten alive by disease-ridden psycho monkeys.
~Diogenes of Sinope
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Ah, I see. Not terribly surprising, but duly noted.
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

"The Watchmen" is being made into a movie. By the same guy who did "300". Just wanted everyone to know about it.

~Diogenes of Sinope
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Your like a year late. Just wanted everyone to know.

On a less trollish note. Who else is pissed at Snyder for butchering the end of the movie.
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

Buzkashi wrote:On a less trollish note. Who else is pissed at Snyder for butchering the end of the movie.
I keep hearing conflicting reports about the end of the movie (The movie in general really), which I think is a concerted effort on the someone's (maybe the studio's) part to keep potentially enraged nerds like us from swearing off the movie because we don't know for sure if the ending was changed or not.

That being said, the most prevalent ending I've heard is:

[spoiler]Ozymandius somehow convinces Dr. Manhattan to go nuclear in New York, essentially trying to achieve the same end as the comic book ,but without the alien squid. Although, trailers have shown the scene with The Comedian breaking down in front of Molock is still in, so I have no idea what's going on[/spoiler]

Not only blasphemous for, you know, basically spitting in Alan Moore's face, but it has just as many ridiculous holes as the Squid ending.
ImageImage
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Actually, from what I've heard, the ending was changed because the screening test audiences did not get it. Basically the 'average' people who don't read comics. So is it Snyder's fault or the American audience's fault?

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Is it because they're American, is that what you're asking? >.>

Why not just say audience? I would say not to change anything, and I'm American.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Starnum wrote:Is it because they're American, is that what you're asking? >.>

Why not just say audience? I would say not to change anything, and I'm American.
Uh, no, it's because it was only screen tested in America. I wasn't attempting to slander or label Americans or anything (and if I am, how am I doing it?). If that's what you're implying, then no, you're being sensitive. If you read my previous sentence, the 'average' people haven't read the comic to know about the squid. I'd say 'average' because that's what the movie bosses wants to target, by selecting random test audiences of different ages to screen test it and to obtain a result to judge rather or not they like it, and if not, what changes they need to make. Because if I hadn't read the book and there was a giant fucking squid destroying Manhattan, I would be all 'what the fuck is this shit'.

If it was shown only in Australia, I'd say Australian audiences. Like Australian audiences hated the American version of Kath and Kim. If Australian audiences hated the movie Australia, I'd say Australian audiences hated the movie Australia, not just the 'audience'. And it's true, they do hate the movie. It's hard to always connect the word 'audience' with 'Americans' because I'm not living in America. I know I sometimes say 'tree' without labeling a description or connecting a genus, but...

Now, after doing a quick google search, I might be wrong about the test audience changing the squid thing, so egg on my face. There are conflicting reports that Snyder did CG for the squid, then pulled it out, then changed an ending, then tested audience response. It's kind of hard to get the real answer because of the nature of it being 'gossip'. One report from Snyder's mouth said he shot only one ending, but another report said that the studio tested different endings with audiences. I don't really know at this point.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

I just wasn't sure what you were implying, sorry for misunderstanding. Sometimes it does seem like you take jabs at us Americans, and I wonder if you have something against us, but maybe I am just being sensitive. Not to say we haven't done our fair share of things worth taking jabs at, but I just want you to know we don't all follow the stereotype. I'm sure you already know that though. Sorry to doubt you man. I see how the public acts though, and a lot of the masses seem pretty ignorant. It definitely frustrates me to see how they represent us, but I can only assume people are like this everywhere, only ignorant in different ways.

Well thanks for clarifying, I'm glad that you were just being specific, and not blaming something bad on us, heh. Not to say our audiences wouldn't screw it up, it's just like you said, normal people who don't read comics wouldn't understand or care about the consistency with the original work. I just wanted to make sure we were blaming ignorant people in general. Sometimes test audiences can be a good thing, but not in a case like this.

Heh, funny that the Aussies don't like the movie, Australia. Isn't that American made anyway? I haven't seen it, and don't plan on it, especially if the Australians don't like it, heh. Kath & Kim is probably crap, I haven't watched it either, and don't care to.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Starnum wrote:I just wasn't sure what you were implying, sorry for misunderstanding. Sometimes it does seem like you take jabs at us Americans, and I wonder if you have something against us, but maybe I am just being sensitive. Not to say we haven't done our fair share of things worth taking jabs at, but I just want you to know we don't all follow the stereotype. I'm sure you already know that though. Sorry to doubt you man. I see how the public acts though, and a lot of the masses seem pretty ignorant. It definitely frustrates me to see how they represent us, but I can only assume people are like this everywhere, only ignorant in different ways.
Well, no, just poking fun really. I really can't be bothered with giving criticisms about America and stuff (because I'm not smart enough), nor do I 'hate' America. Most of the jabs are done in jest, in the same way that Stephen Colbert and John Stewart poke fun at some America-based antics. Really, I don't really know or have been in America to give a proper assessment as to why it sucks (and yes, I'm joking here).
Starnum wrote:Well thanks for clarifying, I'm glad that you were just being specific, and not blaming something bad on us, heh. Not to say our audiences wouldn't screw it up, it's just like you said, normal people who don't read comics wouldn't understand or care about the consistency with the original work. I just wanted to make sure we were blaming ignorant people in general. Sometimes test audiences can be a good thing, but not in a case like this.
Well, it's the studio bosses deciding if the audiences like the movie or not. They're not going to risk releasing the movie if people don't like it much. I've heard way too many tales about directors having to change storylines/endings because the audience hated it. Only bigshots like Spielberg could probably get away with the whole screening test thing. But really, I don't care about the squid myself, and I love the comic. It's only one thing. If they change the overall storyline (like League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, From Hell), then I'll probably be pissed. I've never really saw how important the squid was, although it would have looked cool, it would have made no sense to the 'average' audience.
Starnum wrote:Heh, funny that the Aussies don't like the movie, Australia. Isn't that American made anyway? I haven't seen it, and don't plan on it, especially if the Australians don't like it, heh. Kath & Kim is probably crap, I haven't watched it either, and don't care to.
Well, not too sure if the studio bosses are American, but I think most of the production is Australian. The cast are Australian and so is the director. It failed because it was a boring movie and the story wasn't that great. Did it showcase Australia? Yep. Do anyone care? No. Was it a beautiful film? Yes. Was it a good film? No. Critics trashed it bad. I'm not quite sure if it made a profit or not from the movie.

Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Eldo wrote:Well, no, just poking fun really. I really can't be bothered with giving criticisms about America and stuff (because I'm not smart enough), nor do I 'hate' America. Most of the jabs are done in jest, in the same way that Stephen Colbert and John Stewart poke fun at some America-based antics. Really, I don't really know or have been in America to give a proper assessment as to why it sucks (and yes, I'm joking here).
Heh, well that's definitely fair. Everyone deserves a little good-natured ribbing from time to time. ;)
Eldo wrote:Well, it's the studio bosses deciding if the audiences like the movie or not. They're not going to risk releasing the movie if people don't like it much. I've heard way too many tales about directors having to change storylines/endings because the audience hated it. Only bigshots like Spielberg could probably get away with the whole screening test thing. But really, I don't care about the squid myself, and I love the comic. It's only one thing. If they change the overall storyline (like League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, From Hell), then I'll probably be pissed. I've never really saw how important the squid was, although it would have looked cool, it would have made no sense to the 'average' audience.
Ah well, I can understand why they do that, but in my opinion you should try to stay as close to the original work as possible, if you're remaking something, especially when your transforming it from one media to another. Well, at least when you're making a movie, I always prefer that they keep it as much like the book or comic as possible. I'm sure you know what I mean. They have a lot invested in the movie though, so of course they want to make sure to make as much money as possible. Honestly, I haven't read the graphic novel yet, but I really want to. I'm going to go buy it soon when I've got the time and resources. If anyone knows where I can read it online or something until then, shoot me a PM if you like. Anyway, I really think Snyder will make this movie as good as he can, and after 300 I really trust him with these kind of movies. From what I can tell, the man is a visionary in the way he's able to bring graphic novels to life with his movies. I mean, of course he's only got 300 under his belt at this point, but that was a really good one, IMO. Plus, the trailers for Watchmen look awesome, so I can't wait.
Eldo wrote:Well, not too sure if the studio bosses are American, but I think most of the production is Australian. The cast are Australian and so is the director. It failed because it was a boring movie and the story wasn't that great. Did it showcase Australia? Yep. Do anyone care? No. Was it a beautiful film? Yes. Was it a good film? No. Critics trashed it bad. I'm not quite sure if it made a profit or not from the movie.
As for the Australia movie, I think that it helps if it's made by Australians, heh. I knew the actors were Australian at least. You know I heard they wanted Russel Crowe to play the lead in that movie, but he turned them down because they didn't offer him enough money. What's up with that? You'd think he'd wanna do it to be patriotic or something, but I guess not. Heh, well if it's not that popular in Australia, then I guess it doesn't matter. I'm sure it's a decent film, but like you said, I worry it may be boring. I'm sure it's beautiful to watch for the Australian scenery, but honestly I'd rather travel to Australia in person, that'd be sweet. I can always settle for pics on the internets and Discovery Channel until then. :P
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

A Watchmen movie is doomed to fail based on the fact that it is Watchmen movie alone.

Add in Zack "300" Snyder as a director and you've got a recipe for disaster.

On a lighter note, awesome animated movies '09:

Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Femto wrote:A Watchmen movie is doomed to fail based on the fact that it is Watchmen movie alone.

Add in Zack "300" Snyder as a director and you've got a recipe for disaster.
Wow, you really think so? Well you would probably know better than me, but it may just be a difference in taste. Perhaps you're more of a purist since you actually read a lot more American comics than me. Did you not like the 300 movie? I hate to say it, but I still haven't read the graphic novel. I should do that. Anyway, I thought the movie was awesome, but that's me. Maybe I'm just not as critical of it having not read the book. Either way, didn't you think the visual effects were great? I thought it really did look like a graphic novel come to life, and the action was freakin sweet. Ah well, anyway, I might go look for Watchmen at my local bookstore when I go out today. I wonder how much it cost. >.>

As for the 3 movies you showed, well I'm not really into those kind of films, but I can tell you're a big fan. Honestly, I'm pretty interested in "9". A friend already showed me the preview for that and I plan on watching it. Coraline, not so much. As for "Up", uh, I don't know. First I'm hearing of this. You never know, I might watch it. I haven't seen Wall-E yet either. I'm just not into the Pixar type movies for some reason. *shrugs*

*edit*

Watchmen is only 11.99 on Amazon.com. If I can get it for that price at the book store I'll definitely pick it up.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Wall-E is fantastic.

And if you have any respect for comics as an art form (American, European, Japanese, whatever) you owe it to yourself to read Watchmen.

300 was just a terrible movie in general, you don't have to read the comic to realize this (I haven't).

It's extremely cliched and I still don't understand why people say it looks "beautiful".

It's just computer filters ripped off from Sin City (a movie that uses them much more successfully), ridiculous amounts of unnecessary slow motion and empty, lifeless backgrounds.

Compare the fights in 300 to, I don't know, Return of the King and tell me if you still think the former looks "beautiful".

Terrible, terrible movie.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Femto wrote:And if you have any respect for comics as an art form (American, European, Japanese, whatever) you owe it to yourself to read Watchmen.
Don't worry, I plan on it.

As for your opinion on 300, well, it's just that, an opinion. I loved Sin City as well. I can think of movies with better action scenes than any of the ones named recently, but that doesn't mean I didn't still enjoy the hell out of 300. Maybe I just enjoy the "cliched" style of it. Whether it was horrible or epic, I really liked it, and that's all that really matters to me. *shrugs*
newbified
n00b Smasher

Post by newbified »

9's one of the movies I'm looking forward to most in '09. It looks absolutely spectacular.
Steeples scrape the sky, Praising God.
Everything here exists for God, is sacrificed to God.
For those who have nothing to sacrifice,
It can be a very heartless city indeed.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

DUDES!!!! Right now, at this very moment, only a block away from my apartment, they're in the midst of building a set for a huge scene in the upcoming Wolverine: Origins!!!!! They're turning the administrations building of the english dept here at UBC, aka they Buchanan tower and complex, into some sort of military fortess. I got a letter from the people making the movie that there will be gunshots and tank explosions being filmed this weekend, so as not to worry if it sounds like something bad is happening. But the fog has been really bad lately here, I hope it doesn't hurt the filming process. Hugh Jackman's probably already here, chilling out before his big roles. I wonder if I'll see any standins tomorrow. I took some pictures but I'm not posting them online because I don't want to get in trouble. I am having such a big nerdgasm right now. The set is also in the middle of a major walkway, so they've opened it up to let people through. THIS IS SO COOL!!!
Audentis Fortuna Juvet - Virgil