Shigurui

Have a fetish for dead wood comics, or you just like the better story development of the Manga? Post about 'em here.

Moderator: EG Members

DrPepperPro
Dirty Sennin

Shigurui

Post by DrPepperPro »

Shigurui focuses on 2 samurai, Fujiki Gennosuke and Irako Seigen. It starts off with them about to fight, then goes back and has their past and stuff. This manga has the most gore out of any I've read, and the art is on par with Berserk (can't say better or worse because they're very different styles). The story is really interesting, probably about 60-70% of it is told in narration.

http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=2304
tsubaimomo
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Re: Shigurui

Post by tsubaimomo »

Yep, it's a great manga. There is also a Shigurui anime which doesn't have an ending (another similarity to Berserk), so maybe some people will watch the anime and then want to continue the story in the manga. One thing I like about this manga is that the gore is very anatomically correct... you get the picture, however it was toned down somewhat for the anime version, oh well. So come on... you know you want to read it... and you know there's time before the next Berserk...

btw, puck over there says hi

___________________________________________and if it didn't line up then oh well__________________________________HI
Finito
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by Finito »

Should satisfy people looking for gory action but I could do without all the sex/nudity scenes for my part, nothing near appealing. Characters dont talk much so mostly narrative which makes it a little long to get to the good part, but it represents pretty well the weirdness of the characters which most of them are, but its what makes this manga original and the fighting is really interesting. I hated the anime big time, slow paced, shitty music, long ass scenes where nothing happens all the time, crappy unfinished ending, in my opinion not recommended, stick to the manga.

Hi puck.

Edit: My new wallpaper

Laik
This is my new home

Post by Laik »

I completely missed this thread.

Either way, Shigurui is pretty high on my list of favorites for obvious reasons.

Like DDP said, the story pretty much starts off showing us the main characters and then proceeds directly into a flashback that shows what happened. Though most probably read it for the gore and fighting, I found that I enjoyed the narrative and the metaphors more than anything else. The character interaction is great. The fighting is on par with some of the best I've seen in a series simply because of the brutality. It's one of those kind of series that makes the thirty something page chapters feel really short.

Definitely gets my stamp of approval.
EG needs some help. Please feel free to contact us if you want to become a part of the staff.
newbified
n00b Smasher

Post by newbified »

Chapter 52 was amazing. About to read 53 now.

Can't wait :D
Steeples scrape the sky, Praising God.
Everything here exists for God, is sacrificed to God.
For those who have nothing to sacrifice,
It can be a very heartless city indeed.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Well I just started reading this manga this morning because everyone was praising it, and for good cause mind you, and I had heard other good things about it elsewhere. I'm really enjoying it so far. I only read the first eight chapters before I went to bed, but I plan on reading some more tonight, good stuff.
Dominion
This is my new home

Post by Dominion »

wonder when volume 12 is gonna be subbed.... looks as though Irako Seigen is once again a lady killer, though being blind, I'm sure anyone could be :P
"Happiness is an inside job"
DrPepperPro
Dirty Sennin

Post by DrPepperPro »

Here's script translations of v12:
http://mangahelpers.com/t/daevakun

They're from an italian release (scanlation or official publication, not sure), so it's been translated twice and could be inaccurate. Also the characters and narration don't sound correct, but it's good enough to get a better idea of what's going on.
Dominion
This is my new home

Post by Dominion »

volume 13 is already out on raw-manga forum (whatever it's called)... I gave it a d/l...
its got some harsh stuff going on in this one and we see a (brief) return of the 'frog-boy'
L0ki
imanewbie

Post by L0ki »

A particular characteristic about this manga is the contrast between the elegant art style and the sheer amount of gore it contains. Really catches one's eye.
Dominion
This is my new home

Post by Dominion »

chapters 60-65 were released this week effectively bringing this manga's completion up to volume 12... check out mydailymanga.com ... or something
Dominion
This is my new home

Post by Dominion »

oh shit! this shit got did!
wut ya'll gon do?

http://anonymousstem.blogspot.com/
TheParagon
Mastered PM