The World Ends With You may be the best DS game yet.

Welcome to the official EG Gaming Buzkashi League (EGBL).

Moderator: EG Members

Femto
Devourer of Children

The World Ends With You may be the best DS game yet.

Post by Femto »

It has a wildly strange combat system that is a shitload of fun.

I get into 4-6 chain fights for fun just to see how far I can push myself.

The setting is compelling (a game within a game thing) but I don't really want to talk about it in fear of ruining any story points (and the story is quite decent BTW).

It also drops a few stupid JRPG conventions like random battles, grinding (I've never had to do any and you can pick battles and adjust difficulty in favor of item drops) and save spots (you can save anywhere).

The game just feels like a whole new video game experience.

If Square-Enix could put out more games like this it wouldn't be such a shitty company.

Also, Professor Layton is awesome.
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Re: The World Ends With You may be the best DS game yet.

Post by LordMune »

NOMURA ZIPPERS character design has kept my interest level firmly at "run away, fast". Now, I might check it out.
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

It's probably the only good Nomura has done since he fucked up the Final Fantasy franchise with VII.

Definitely worth checking out.
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Femto wrote:It's probably the only good Nomura has done since he fucked up the Final Fantasy franchise with VII.

Definitely worth checking out.
FFVII revolutionized the RPG. People who hate on VII are elitist tools that badmouth anything that becomes part of the mainstream.

That is why you like the Green Lantern because nobody reads that shit.

Image Comics FTW.....
Let's put a smile on that face...............
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

The Prince wrote:FFVII revolutionized the RPG.
Holy shit you are retarded.
lon3vvolf
n00b Smasher

Post by lon3vvolf »

LordMune wrote:
The Prince wrote:FFVII revolutionized the RPG.
Holy shit you are retarded.
Just to throw my 2 cents in.
FFVII revolutionized the RPG genre... only to those who never played an RPG prior.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

lon3vvolf wrote:FFVII revolutionized the RPG genre... only to those who never played an RPG prior.
Which is exactly the reason why the game was so popular, because it was the very first JRPG for a huge number of people.

Overall, it's pretty mediocre.
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Femto wrote:
lon3vvolf wrote:FFVII revolutionized the RPG genre... only to those who never played an RPG prior.
Which is exactly the reason why the game was so popular, because it was the very first JRPG for a huge number of people.

I played my fair share of (also japanese) RPGs before FFVII. But while the gameplay mechanics of it may have been mediocre and well-known, at least for me it is the story that makes the game a milestone, and unforgettable. Never before, and not often after, have I seen such a good story told in such a magnicifent way. The simple fact that after disc one you lose one of your party members which you have built up until then, makes it above average.
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

Aetherfukz wrote:
Femto wrote:

I played my fair share of (also japanese) RPGs before FFVII. But while the gameplay mechanics of it may have been mediocre and well-known, at least for me it is the story that makes the game a milestone, and unforgettable. Never before, and not often after, have I seen such a good story told in such a magnicifent way. The simple fact that after disc one you lose one of your party members which you have built up until then, makes it above average.
What? The narrative is a mess, and the translation legendarily awful. The massive amount of pubescent angst, FMVs and big swords appealed to people, in no other way was FFVI inventive- hell, Chrono Trigger had you lose the main character. Some insipid love interest is nothing.
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Aetherfukz wrote:
Femto wrote:

Well said. :thumb:
LordMune wrote:Holy shit you are retarded.
To LordMean,

No need to make things personal. Because of you I cried myself to sleep last night. :cry:

-The Prince
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

Femto wrote:

Bingo. The only worthwhile thing that came out of VII was the Materia system. No other aspect even came close to piquing my interest.
ImageImage
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Aetherfukz wrote:The simple fact that after disc one you lose one of your party members which you have built up until then, makes it above average.
Galuf?

Also, the Materia system is boring because it completely kills character individuality.

What's the purpose of giving you different characters if they can all potentially do the same thing?
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

Femto wrote:What's the purpose of giving you different characters if they can all potentially do the same thing?
This, along with how easy the system is to break and exploit, is also the reason I loathe FFXII.
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

Femto wrote:
What's the purpose of giving you different characters if they can all potentially do the same thing?
Well there are the Limit Breaks, but yeah that is a completely valid point. However, on the flip side it means not having to deal with characters you are annoyed with *cough* YuffieandCaitSith *cough*.
ImageImage
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

LordMune wrote: What? The narrative is a mess, and the translation legendarily awful. The massive amount of pubescent angst, FMVs and....,

Yet you're an Evangelion fan? :?
in no other way was FFVI inventive- hell, Chrono Trigger had you lose the main character. Some insipid love interest is nothing.
Who cares about FF6, stay on point.....

BTW....Chrono Trigger was awesome! That frog dude rocked. Probably the second best time-travel RPG of all time, second only to FFVIII.
LordMune wrote:
Femto wrote:What's the purpose of giving you different characters if they can all potentially do the same thing?
This, along with how easy the system is to break and exploit, is also the reason I loathe FFXII.
How does it make the system easy to break and exploit?

BTW....Final Fantasy XII is probably the second best RPG of all time, second only to FFVII.
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

The Prince wrote:Yet you're an Evangelion fan? :?
Evangelion was pretty well-constructed from a narrative standpoint, and it actually had a message as opposed to the GIGANTIC penises SWORDS FFVII had.
How does it make the system easy to break and exploit?
Holy shit dude, I am not writing an essay about the mess that is the materia system on a message board for your convenience. GameFAQs is your best bet.
BTW....Final Fantasy XII is probably the second best RPG of all time, second only to FFVII.
Subtle trolling isn't your thing, is it?
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

LordMune wrote:
The Prince wrote:Yet you're an Evangelion fan? :?
Evangelion was pretty well-constructed from a narrative standpoint, and it actually had a message as opposed to the GIGANTIC penises SWORDS FFVII had.
Well I am a Berserk fan, so perhaps we may have stumbled on to something here......
LordMune wrote:
The Prince wrote: How does it make the system easy to break and exploit?
Holy shit dude, I am not writing an essay about the mess that is the materia system on a message board for your convenience. GameFAQs is your best bet.
Whoah.....Didn't realize that it was rocket science?

I wasn't asking for a critical analysis of the materia system, was just curious to know what it was about the system that could be exploited (in response to a claim you made). Was just asking because while playing through these games I never came to such a conclusion.
LordMune wrote: Subtle trolling isn't your thing, is it?
....Akin to how subtle "spazzing" isn't yours.

I'm sorry, that having enjoyed Final Fantasy XII, to have offended you so....... :roll:
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

LordMune wrote:Evangelion was pretty well-constructed from a narrative standpoint,
No, it wasn't.

It was a jumbled mess.

Goddammit, Mune.
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Femto wrote:
LordMune wrote:Evangelion was pretty well-constructed from a narrative standpoint,
No, it wasn't.

It was a jumbled mess.

Goddammit, Mune.
That's probably the first time I agree with Femto. Evangelion was basically one big, uncoherent, rant.
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Aetherfukz wrote:
Femto wrote:
No, it wasn't.

It was a jumbled mess.

Goddammit, Mune.
That's probably the first time I agree with Femto. Evangelion was basically one big, uncoherent, rant.
Uh oh....no you didn't. :OWTH:
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

The Prince wrote:
Aetherfukz wrote:That's probably the first time I agree with Femto. Evangelion was basically one big, uncoherent, rant.
Uh oh....no you didn't. :OWTH:
I swear to god I'll ban each and every one of you motherfuckers.

(FYI, Evangelion does have structure. I have no issue with it being called a mess, but it is not jumbled.)
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

To add in my 2 cents:

The thing with FFVII is that it's incredibly stylish and well presented. It most certainly did popularise the RPG genre and Sony itself. At the time it was released, it had the best graphics around on a console, and the use of FMVs. It was a very enjoyable experience. Now, in hindsight, I thought the story was a bit of a mess, and it does suffer the problems that was previously mentioned in the thread; such as lack of individuality, materia system (the fact that you could cast life 2 or summon Phoenix very time you die made it a bit easy), also, essentially everyone could summon the Knights, and everyone can mimic that over and over. I still have yet to figure out what Cait Sith and Yuffie are used for, and how Vincent's limit break could be remotely useful in later stages. See, with Chrono Trigger, the story was much more interesting; you are exploring the different ages of time which are kind of like different worlds. Also, each character was restricted with their own element, and there is the ability to join techniques, which made for interesting party choices.

If you read the FFVII story from wikipedia, it really is a bit of a mess. I would be having trouble deciphering what the hell is happening if I have never played the game before. Personally, I'm sick of boss A destroying the world because they're crazy or it's impure or whatever.

Squareenix nowadays rely on presentation and eye candy, which is why the majority of their games are pretty sucky right now. Hopefully it will improve.

Also, I suggest a split if anyone wants to continue the FFVI/RPG debate. I would do it but I couldn't be bothered and I'm busy.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

LordMune wrote:Evangelion does have structure. I have no issue with it being called a mess, but it is not jumbled.)
Doesn't being a mess imply an inherent lack of structure?
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

Femto wrote:
LordMune wrote:Evangelion does have structure. I have no issue with it being called a mess, but it is not jumbled.)
Doesn't being a mess imply an inherent lack of structure?
The overarching superstructure, if you will, is in there. The individual episodes, characters, dissemination of information, et cetera, is often not ideal due to the show being written as it was being produced.

But seriously, back on track. I'll pick up The World Ends With You as soon as I get back from Japan.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

LordMune wrote:The overarching superstructure, if you will, is in there. The individual episodes, characters, dissemination of information, et cetera, is often not ideal due to the show being written as it was being produced.
I'm pretty sure you're contradicting yourself here.

I mean, can a show that hasn't been written have any kind of structure?

I think any thoughts of Evangelion having any kind of structure gets thrown out the window when you consider the budget issues the show had.

Terrible show.

But yeah, please go ahead and get The World Ends With You.

Fantastic little game.