::Ghost in the Shell:: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GiG

The latest and greatest of Japanese Animation. Found something new, or perhaps old and arcane... if it has to do with anime, it goes right here.

Moderator: EG Members

LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

Brainpiercing wrote:Yes, it's a great final ep.

I'm not sure how much real-life politics went into the ideas for this show. I must say I wasn't a friend of the anti-americanism displayed in the story. Not because I'm offended by it, but because it feels like a fashion right now to display "the Americans" as bad guys.

Nevertheless, a great second season. Now how are the chances for more GitS?

Had to love the scene where Ishikawa knocks out the guy in the car.

Plus that Tachikoma song was really powerful for me, for some reason.
I didn't really mind the anti-americanism. It's a whole lot better than having, I dunno, China or random international terrorists as the bad guys.

[highlight]
Yeah, the Tachikoma song was very well executed, I must say.
[/highlight]

As for more GitS, they've already used more or less every story-arc in the manga three times over in different variations, split between the movies and the TV-series. 1st GIG had some new material, but it was absolutely horrible.
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

Hmm, I didn't think first gig was so horrible. In fact at first I didn't like the "character" eps in 2nd gig, they were rather flat. Also, I think the empathy factor in GitS is largely limited to Motoko, Bateau and Togusa (and the Tachikomas); trying to give the other guys profile didn't work for me.

So, whatever.
Brainpiercing
"Beer cures poison" - (almost) Guts.
BasouKazuma
Flexing spam muscles

Post by BasouKazuma »

I plan on rewatching the first season in the near future since i have the DVD rips.

I really forgot a lot of it since it has been sooo long, but i didn't think it was bad. It was definitely better than most of the anime series that i have watched (and I have watched a LOT of anime).

So I'll have to wait til i rewatch it to pass judgement on it.
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Sorry to dig up those 'old thread and rename.. but thought I would just add that I watched it from ep1 to end and loved it.

The last 3 episodes made me sniffle... it was rather intense!
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

you talking about SAC or SAC:2nd Gig now?

This thread was mainly about 2nd Gig.
Brainpiercing
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

I didn't feel like starting a whole new thread, but yeah... I meant 1st GiG, just finished that (laughing man), guess I need to start trying to find 2nd GiG. :P

Edit: speaking of which, I love netflix.. just ordered 2nd GIG, thanks for the heads up. :D

For the impatient... a tracker for ep 1-26 of 2nd GiG
BasouKazuma
Flexing spam muscles

Post by BasouKazuma »

psi29a wrote:I didn't feel like starting a whole new thread, but yeah... I meant 1st GiG, just finished that (laughing man), guess I need to start trying to find 2nd GiG. :P

Edit: speaking of which, I love netflix.. just ordered 2nd GIG, thanks for the heads up. :D

Thank you good sir! It's not like I had already posted that link and another link for all of those torrents. :roll: :lol:
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

Well then, Psi, I hope you also enjoy 2nd Gig. If the end of the first series made you cry, wait till you see the end of 2nd Gig :).
Brainpiercing
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

BasouKazuma wrote:
psi29a wrote:I didn't feel like starting a whole new thread, but yeah... I meant 1st GiG, just finished that (laughing man), guess I need to start trying to find 2nd GiG. :P

Thank you good sir! It's not like I had already posted that link and another link for all of those torrents. :roll: :lol:
Yikes, my newbness is showing... quick, hide the evidence!! :P

Sorry, just wanted to necro the thread. I thought it all ended with the 1st GiG, and after reading some reviews they more or less commented that 2nd GiG wasn't as well drawn due to the production staff working on GitS: Innocense. I take it you all liked it.?
Last edited by psi29a on Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ruuppa
Mastered PM

Post by Ruuppa »

Major Kusanagi can never go wrong. NEVER.

Didn't really notice the difference in art quality between the two before I read what you posted.. Now it'll haunt me everytime I watch 2nd Gig.
Everything that is right is wrong, and everything that is wrong is right.
And I am always right.
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

I think it's safe to say that in 2nd gig there are also very pleasing visuals.

The really annoying things in 2nd gig are tiny consistency problems, like the team ducking and pointing all their guns in a direction because they are being followed from there, then suddenly all standing up and walking away, even though the pursuers should by all means be approaching. They did things like this a few times.
Brainpiercing
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

Still, I'd rather see them walking around with guns than sitting around considering the psychological implications of the Laughing Man case.

2nd GIG > 1st GIG
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

Well, I think it was couragous of them to make eps made up entirely of talking, when the world is busy collectively killing of its brain....

It's when the talking turn to gibberish that it gets a little annoying. Psi, you're supposed to be smart, tell me what a "Stand alone complex" is. Cause no matter how they tried to explain it, I have no idea. Strangely enough I don't mind at all, that didn't hurt my enjoyment of the show one bit.
Brainpiercing
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

I interpreted it as a bunch of copy-cats, but without the original cat. Still doesn't make much sense, and is one of the weakest points of 1st GIG.

No, making episodes of talking is not courageous, it's just silly. GitS isn't about talk.
Ruuppa
Mastered PM

Post by Ruuppa »

I agree with LordMune, GitS ain't about the talky-talky. Making talky-talky episodes happens when people, even the producers, are in the studio going "Wtf mate?".

I've been lost more times than I can count in GitS 1st and 2nd, with all their mumbling about collective brains etc. etc.
Tried Man-Machine Interface a while ago, and it seems to be a concurrent theme with anything Shirow does.

Doesn't really matter, since Kusanagi trumps it all.
And I am always right.
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

If you read any shirow masamune manga then you'll find it takes you about ten times as long as any other manga, because it's ALL talk. so no, GiTS isn't just about action. Even the first GitS movie was very much talk.
Brainpiercing
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

I didn't find the GitS manga to be nearly as talky as the first movie.
BasouKazuma
Flexing spam muscles

Post by BasouKazuma »

Any GitS show or movie is better than at least 80% of all the other anime out there.
Ruuppa
Mastered PM

Post by Ruuppa »

LordMune wrote:I didn't find the GitS manga to be nearly as talky as the first movie.
Man Machine Interface was more on the side of "What is going on here?", it was something about them being in cyberspace 80% of the time, cracking firewalls etc... And there was something about pigs being used as .. Something, I got lost at that point.

Unless you're talking about the earlier GitS manga.

Now I'm off to find more Shirow's artbooks :D
And I am always right.
t.A
notanewb

Post by t.A »

by the way, does anyone one know do they plan to make a third seson?
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

I can only guess possibly not. I also think there is only so much you can do with a show, and since Gits isn't fighting show which can present a new super-enemy at every story arc there isn't really any point in going on and making filler eps.
Brainpiercing
Quest
Tastes like burning!

Post by Quest »

yeah i think so too.
they took the effort to forward into the future at the end of 2nd gig.
that means some kind of closure to me.
Days Of The Phoenix
imanewbie

tying up the loose ends

Post by Days Of The Phoenix »

Possible SPOILERS

I have a few questions about the last episode, who was the diplomat that Gouda was walking with at the end, who was the guy that killed Kuze, and did anyone else notice that one of the tachikomas may have downloaded their AI program/memories to the net just before they sacrificed themselves or am I reading too much into nothing?
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

The guy who killed Kuze was probably just some killer, he represented "the machine" rolling into motion clearing up the dirt it had produced itself.

The other thing may be possible, well, in case they DO make another season, I suppose we'll find out.
Brainpiercing
t.A
notanewb

Post by t.A »

well I see GitS as one of the best cyberpunks (Serial Experiments Lain and Akira stand by its side) so I would very much like to see more of it (in a sense that it will stay of such high quality both in plot and animation)

btw did anyone noticed that in STC Batou don’t get along with dogs, but in Innocence he owns one himself..

and about the Tachikomas - I LOVE THEM! :D perfect side characters:)