Places to visit on New York and Washington DC

Way off-topic, and allowed! General discussions on anything and everything.

Moderator: EG Members

Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Places to visit on New York and Washington DC

Post by Rolos »

Since from this year on I will be legally considered an adult... with all its implications (18 at last!! I no longer need fake IDs if a want to buy booze... :thumbsup:), I decided to celebrate it by spending every single cent I had in a trip to the US with some friends.

I am going to visit New York and Washington DC, but I just don't feel like spending all my time in the traditional museums and monuments, so I was wondering if there was anything interesting besides the usual places everyone visits.

Could anyone tell me which places are worth seeing besides the usual stuff?
One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings.
~Diogenes of Sinope
Femto
Devourer of Children

Re: Places to visit on New York and Washington DC

Post by Femto »

God, could you ask a harder question?

NYC is near endless in things to do.

Depends on what kind of stuff you like to do, I suppose.

You need to be over 21 to drink here so bars and strip clubs are out of the question.

You could kill many hours by just dicking around in Times Square or Union Square.

If you're a geek you could visit the Nintendo World Store near Rockefeller Center and kill an hour there and if you like arcade games you definitely need to visit Chinatown Fair on Mott Street.

If you want food, I absolutely recommend that you visit either the Shake Shack or Silver Spurs for some of the greasiest and tastiest hamburgers in the city.

Soho if you want to go clothes shopping.

I dunno.

There's a million things to do here in NYC.
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

Femto wrote: bars and strip clubs are out of the question.
:holycrap: :holycrap: :holycrap: :holycrap: :holycrap: :holycrap: :holycrap: :holycrap: :holycrap: :holycrap:

That can't be......you mean I will have to be sober all the time?!

:wtf:

Thats retarded. At 18 you are more than old enough to answer for your own actions.

Damn..... :stupid:
~Diogenes of Sinope
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Yeah, you should've probably done a bit more research before deciding to go to a country where 21 is the legal drinking age.

There's still a ton of stuff to do and if you happen to know someone here you can still get drunk somewhere.
MsNomer
Mastered PM

Post by MsNomer »

In NYC you need to hit Canal Street, just about anyplace along it has something to see, also the Village... if you could have managed to get here sooner, I would have directed you to CBGB's at Bowery and Bleeker...

For DC you need to hit Georgetown.

The usual and expected places like the National Zoo, the Smithsonian system of museums, et al in DC and the major museums in NYC are actually worth a cruise. Don't forget to look down when you are tramping around, you will find cool little underground shops in the basements of lots of buildings in both cities.
How IS a Raven like a writing desk? [/b]
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

If you want to visit America's best go to California.
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

Visit Buzkashi he is the best
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

If you visit Buzkashi be sure to carry a baseball bat to defend yourself when you tries to rape you.
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

HAHAHAHAHAH, yes the United States is 21!!!! not 18.

all i can say is, go to boardway show, a good one if you can. and dont plan on buying cigarettes in NYC, shit is expensive.
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

Dammit......I knew America was a conservative country but 21!!

What do you people do in parties? talk?

Anyway Halfnhalf, is there any Broadway show you would recommend me to see?

I am leaving on April 27th and since I got this "international student" card, everything is going to cost half the original price!! Anyone know of an important event taking place at that date? like a concert or something like that?
~Diogenes of Sinope
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

I mean i saw Spam-a-Lot last time i was in NYC and i thought it was pretty good. I bought my tickey from a guy in Time Square, so thats my experience with ticket buying in NYC, New Yorkers can tell when you are a tourist, and they will still be a dick about it.

also if you can i would say try to watch "Stomp." Saw the dvd and i want to see it live.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

If you cant make your way to killa Cali you should at least rent a documentary on life in California. That way you can feel like you had the Golden State experience.
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Fuck Cali.

Seriously.
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

what our awesome weather and laid back attitude?
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

*hums California Love*
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

it's called college. thats where everyone 18-20 gets drunk, and if someone isnt in college they find someone they know who is 21+ to get it for them.

by the way, this is hilarious. too bad you didnt do your research :lol:.

the midwest is where it's at. you shoulda come visited chicago
Vicissitude
Professional Bastard

Post by Vicissitude »

Rolos wrote:What do you people do in parties? talk?
We drink... but illegally!
Shaka Zulu
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by Shaka Zulu »

Its a cliche, but allways found it hilarious you guys can legally kill by joining the army at 18 (and drive when frigging 16), but are too young and irresponsible to drink until 21, oh noez! :lol: Your forefathers must REALLY have had too much of a blast :)

Bit funny though you didnt know they had this oxymoronic law, is bit of a common knowledge.
Until the lion learns to speak, the tales of the hunt will be(weak) told by the hunter
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Shaka Zulu wrote:Its a cliche, but allways found it hilarious you guys can legally kill by joining the army at 18 (and drive when frigging 16), but are too young and irresponsible to drink until 21, oh noez! :lol: Your forefathers must REALLY have had too much of a blast :)

Bit funny though you didnt know they had this oxymoronic law, is bit of a common knowledge.
I'm sorry, but you're completely wrong in your observation.

A soldier is not responsible for being sent to kill other soldiers.

A drunk is person is absolutely responsible for any loss of life he causes in his inebriated state.

That's why drinking is not legally allowed until you're older because drinking demands more responsibility from the person that consumes these substances.

Not being able to drink at 21 is not an oxymoron, it doesn't contradict itself or other laws in the slightest.
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

Femto wrote: Not being able to drink at 21 is not an oxymoron, it doesn't contradict itself or other laws in the slightest.
Yeah, but its still a stupid law. I thought you people had gotten over all that abstinence crap in the twenties.

You know what, fuck the law. I have been drinking illegally in my own country for a long time (actually.....just a year) and I cant think of any decent reason to stop doing it abroad. Too bad about the strip clubs though......all the things I had planned out *sigh*

Guess my private stock of rum will have to do for this trip.
~Diogenes of Sinope
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Watch out what you take into the plane though, you can't take more than 6oz of any liquid into the plane (was it 6oz? I'm not sure), otherwise they take it from you at the airport. I think it's alright though if you put in the luggage that you're not carrying with you into the plane.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

umm the stupid law is there because the United States at one point in time banned the consumption and sales of alcohol....

It is fine to have booze in a bag that is going under the plane, just not too many bottles.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

FACT: I drank more and more often pre-21 than post-21.

After bills and responsibilities rear their ugly head it just kinda stops being as appealing as it used to.

I still get blasted every once in a while but not like before.
MsNomer
Mastered PM

Post by MsNomer »

halfnhalf wrote:umm the stupid law is there because the United States at one point in time banned the consumption and sales of alcohol....
The legal drinking age limits are set by individual states and have nothing to do with prohibition, you wankers. The legal drinking age in many states when I was younger was 18, as a matter of fact, I grew up in just such a state. the laws were changed to raise the limits because the youth of America were getting drunk and killing themselves in cars. The anti-drunk driving movement was responsible for the drinking age being 21. Do some freaking research and stop acting like a bunch of 12 year olds who get all their information from rumors in the boy's bathroom.
How IS a Raven like a writing desk? [/b]
dialdfordesi
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by dialdfordesi »

Go see the UN, Museum of Natural History, the WTC remains, Battery Park, Central Park, Times Square, try and find out about any street fairs, the Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, South Street Seaport, SoHo...all are very touristy and nice.
Trust me, I'm a doctor!