Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

Welcome to the official EG Gaming Buzkashi League (EGBL).

Moderator: EG Members

dialdfordesi
I live in a giant bucket.

Re: Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

Post by dialdfordesi »

Well IGN is a hype machine. I remember when they said that Fable was the most ultimate experience ever...
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
fujinsan
Flexing spam muscles

Post by fujinsan »

dialdfordesi wrote:Well IGN is a hype machine. I remember when they said that Fable was the most ultimate experience ever...
Well that was back then when the concept of full character personality customization was first introduced. So naturally they thought it was the shit, but in today's standards it is shit. :lol: The only thing those guys really hated about it was the cutscenes which one in fact has hit the sixty three minute mark. So yeah Kojima went a little over board, but this makes me even more intrigued. If half of the game is cutscenes, then this should make for a remarkably long game. I can't wait myself, but I'm afraid I'll fall asleep during one of them. :?
MadDogMike
Mastered PM

Post by MadDogMike »

The guy who made the article you linked to doesn't hate MGS4, he likes it. He just hates the reviews that are subjective and say stuff like "THIS IS THE BEST GAME EVER! 10/10!!!" just because a game is popular, or they are a big fan themselves. I agree with him, GTA4 didn't deserve 10/10 (I'd say around 9.3 - 9.5 after playing it myself), and I'm going to pretend I never read the IGN MGS4 review because even though I know MGS4 will be a great game, I'd probably find it even better if I didn't buy into IGN's ridiculous hype first.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Less than two weeks till release! It's almost hard to believe. I can't wait.
fujinsan
Flexing spam muscles

Post by fujinsan »

MadDogMike wrote:The guy who made the article you linked to doesn't hate MGS4, he likes it. He just hates the reviews that are subjective and say stuff like "THIS IS THE BEST GAME EVER! 10/10!!!" just because a game is popular, or they are a big fan themselves. I agree with him, GTA4 didn't deserve 10/10 (I'd say around 9.3 - 9.5 after playing it myself), and I'm going to pretend I never read the IGN MGS4 review because even though I know MGS4 will be a great game, I'd probably find it even better if I didn't buy into IGN's ridiculous hype first.
Was it ign that hyped it up so much, Gta4? If so then they should be discredited, it only deserved an eight. Well I guess my opinion was a bit biased then, the only thing I'll really hate about mgs4 is one of those ninety minute cutscenes. Damn you Hideo Kojima for your overconpinsation of story!
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

I hope that I can pause the cutscenes cause it's happened before that I need to do something else in the middle of a cutscene and I can't go until it's over (mainly bathroom). But aside from that, I've never minded the length.

In regard to the scores, decimal values are too much; at most I can accept using .5 intervals, but anything in between seems excessive and pompous. Case in point, that 9.9 score for MGS4. It seems like the reviewer doesn't want to give it a perfect score for some reason (that's cool, he's entitled to his opinion), but he's so afraid of what people will think of him that he actually gives it a score that's practically 10 but isn't quite there. If they'd let him, he probably would've given it a 9.995. Maybe he didn't want to give another perfect score after GTAIV, who knows. The point is, he's only making an idiot of himself by using such a small difference from "perfect".

Going on a tangent here, GTAIV is a game that stood out and deserves at least a 9, but it's far from the next Ocarina Of Time.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

Word on the street is that EGM gave MGS4 a B+ (yah they changed their rating system to a letter grade.
fujinsan
Flexing spam muscles

Post by fujinsan »

halfnhalf wrote:Word on the street is that EGM gave MGS4 a B+ (yah they changed their rating system to a letter grade.
Wow that's fucking hilarious, imagine if they reviewed simon's quest from back in the day, it would've gotten a z.
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

more rumors are coming in... EGM rated Bloom Box with an A+ and called it the game of the month.

now, i bet bloom box is fucking amazing in its own style, but Shoe, i use to live for your gaming journalism, now your shit to me.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

halfnhalf wrote:Word on the street is that EGM gave MGS4 a B+ (yah they changed their rating system to a letter grade.
A B+!? Feh, they can suck it. I say that and I haven't even played it yet. Also, giving something a 9.9 rating is retarded, and GTAIV is pretty badass, but it's not a 10. Oh, and I liked Simon's Quest. Castlevania kicks ass! :P
fujinsan
Flexing spam muscles

Post by fujinsan »

Wow, kudos to you for sticking to it, let alone liking the game. I couldn't stand the parts where it turned from day to night always pausing to give a little intro, explaining itself everytime. By the way what in the hell is bloom box?
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Who cares about reviews?

Seriously.
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

Femto wrote:Who cares about reviews?

Seriously.

none of us do, we already have the mind set that we all plan on purchasing MGS4. Now the real question is, MGO or MGS4, which one do you play first?
fujinsan
Flexing spam muscles

Post by fujinsan »

halfnhalf wrote:
Femto wrote:Who cares about reviews?

Seriously.

none of us do, we already have the mind set that we all plan on purchasing MGS4. Now the real question is, MGO or MGS4, which one do you play first?
Hell I've already played mgo, I'm playing mgs4 first.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Oh, I'm gonna be all over MGS4 like white on rice in a snowstorm. This is no secret. :P
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

I love amazon.co.jp
Super Jewel Cases are hella awesome, but I've never seen them outside of Japan.
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
fujinsan
Flexing spam muscles

Post by fujinsan »

LordMune wrote:I love amazon.co.jp
Super Jewel Cases are hella awesome, but I've never seen them outside of Japan.
Does the actual case look like that?
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

The game case has the same picture, but that case is for the MGS soundtrack.
dialdfordesi
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by dialdfordesi »

I really wish I could play MGO when MGS4 comes out, but the campus internet bastards did something so that I'm unable to use consoles to play online : /
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
fujinsan
Flexing spam muscles

Post by fujinsan »

dialdfordesi wrote:I really wish I could play MGO when MGS4 comes out, but the campus internet bastards did something so that I'm unable to use consoles to play online : /
You can hack their wi fi to disable that, if your not a hacker there's gotta be one on campus.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Next week, mothafuckas!
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

because of my FINALS i have to wait till thursday NIGHT to actually start the game. The wait is going to suck...
fujinsan
Flexing spam muscles

Post by fujinsan »

Won't gamestop have a midnight release of it?
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

fujinsan wrote:Won't gamestop have a midnight release of it?

the game comes out on the 12th, the midnight release is techincally Wed. night. My final is on thursday and so, i will be over 12 hours behind all the midnight buyers.
fujinsan
Flexing spam muscles

Post by fujinsan »

I think I'll go get it at midnight, shouldn't be too many people in memphis that like it.