Martial Arts

Way off-topic, and allowed! General discussions on anything and everything.

Moderator: EG Members

Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Re: Martial Arts

Post by Buzkashi »

Theres no one in the UFC that can beat brock lesnar.

Sorry.
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

The Prince wrote:
Forcing outcomes of fights? Where the hell are you coming from with this?

- Hmmmm......Brock Lesnar anyone. Of course he has shown potential, but the UFC has been marketing the shit out of this guy who is more or less a WWE cash-cow that has accomplished jack-shit in MMA with his stellar record of 2-1 (one legit win).

Nogueira who.....That's right! Who cares about that guy when you have the guy that pedigree'd Kurt Angle through a dressing room wall?
Did you not see the Kimbo fight against Thompson? Thompson was on top of him and lying punches. Agreed that they weren't powerful, but if a fighter is UNABLE to defend himself the fight must be called (circa back to the BJ Penn vs. Matt Hughes, where Hughes put Penn into the same position, fight was called). Guess what? The fight wasn't called by the ref, but that SAME ref calls the fight against Brandon Vera in the SAME position? something is wrong there... Plus also, no fighter is or should ever be allowed to walk into the ring with an alien on their ear. Also giving Gina Carano a blind eye on her being 5 pounds over weight AGAIN? yah something wrong there. Wouldn't be surprised that they make a 145 pound division just for her.

As for Brock Lesnar, the guy HATES the WWE he hated it. Just at the time there was nothing for him to do with his talents. He even agrees that if the UFC was as big as it is now years ago, he would have gone straight into the UFC. Understand that Brock Lesnar is trying to distant himself from the WWE as much as possible. As a cash cow? Brock Lesnar isnt some chump would brawled with other guys in the backyard, brock lesnar is a NCAA heavyweight wrestler that had over 100 wins and less than 5 losses in his career. The guy is a BEAST on the ground. And guess what he actually has been fighting "REAL" fighters, Frank Mir (though Mir is just the ju jitsu master), and Heath Herring. Both are top notch fighters who are in their prime, unlike Tank Abott or Ken Shamrock. UFC's job is to sell pay-per-views and honestly, Lesnar is and will become a star. The guy was built for the heavyweights.

As for Buz's comment, the guy does a loss, but for here on out, as long as he figures out his ju jitsu defense, the guy could become unstoppable.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

When I first heard he was gonna fight, I was really surprised and looking forward to it. He seems like a beast who could just dominate. I like to see that kind of thing, but then I was disappointed when he lost his fight. Anyway, I'll definitely give him the benefit of the doubt, I'd like to see more good things from him and Kimbo. Heh, imagine a fight between them two, I'd pay to see that. :P
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

OMG OMG OMG...

RASHARD EVANS BY KO not by tko by fucking KO

Evan's KO made Rampage's look like a jab. Evan's right hand dropped Liddel in one shot and when fucking limp. Liddel was out cold for a good few minutes. a fucking sick fight.

ninja edit/

found a gif for viewing pleasure.

/pirate ninja edit that you never saw coming

Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Oh my freaking balls! That's...that's just unbelievable. Rashad Evans is STILL undefeated, and against Chuck Lidell no less. I can't believe that, I mean who puts hands on the Ice Man like that. Has Chuck Lidell lost his touch, or is Rashad Evans just like, the sleeper monster of the century. That knock-out looks brutal too. Man, Evans just got propelled to super stardom in my books. I mean, I knew he was good, but this pretty much seals the deal that he's great! I can't wait to see this fight in its entirety.
lon3vvolf
n00b Smasher

Post by lon3vvolf »

Evan Tanner - R.I.P.

32-8 Record. First American to win the Pancreas tournament. Died while trying to come back from the desert after his bike failed. Just goes to show you can die any moment, even outside of dangerous activities. Live life to the fullest.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Well that sucks.
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

kimbo lost in less than 14 seconds by the weakest punch ever. great stuff.
lon3vvolf
n00b Smasher

Post by lon3vvolf »

halfnhalf wrote:kimbo lost in less than 14 seconds by the weakest punch ever. great stuff.
We were watching it at work. Kimbo should have cried that he lost like that. And the other guy had pink hair too. Lol.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Yeah, that was seriously fucked up. It was a fluke though, if you ask me. We all know Kimbo can fight better than that. Win or lose, I just wish the fight had been longer. The fact that neither of them was actually ready for this fight didn't help. I blame Ken Shamrock for this debacle. ;)
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

i actually found out that he got beat 3 hours before the fight aired (cbs was stupid in this by airing the fight live east coast but on time delay for the west coast?) so i just HAD to see his loss which was hilarious cuz cbs still fucking ran the program for 3 and half hours of boring hype shit.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Yeah, that was the worst part. I watched the whole thing to see Kimbo fight and it was over just like that. I enjoyed watching Gina Carano fight though. Crush is hot!
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

I've decided to give up on muay thai and focus my efforts on boxing instead. I've been juggling the 2 for a couple of months now and I just get to tired. Plus I love the sport of boxing much more than muay thai or mma. The only downside to this all is that the muay thai instructer is a very good teacher, a cool guy, and an ex world champ. Barley speaks english but he's funny as hell.

I'ma have some amateur fights soon.
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

Buzkashi wrote:I've decided to give up on muay thai and focus my efforts on boxing instead. I've been juggling the 2 for a couple of months now and I just get to tired. Plus I love the sport of boxing much more than muay thai or mma. The only downside to this all is that the muay thai instructer is a very good teacher, a cool guy, and an ex world champ. Barley speaks english but he's funny as hell.

I'ma have some amateur fights soon.

doesnt matter ill kick your ass all the time.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Buzkashi wrote:I'ma have some amateur fights soon.
You should record them and show them to us, if you can.

Did anyone see Brock Lesner impose his will on Heath Herring? It was kind of scary to watch, heh. Brock is so massive, it's almost hard to believe the guy's for real, and beating Heath Herring is nothing to shake a stick at. ;)
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

The gym i've been training at has shut down. T_T

I've been looking for another place to train that is in driving district. But have not been so lucky as to find a place i liked as much as i did my previous gym.

I checked out a Judo practice on monday and I'm pretty sure i'ma start training judo.

@everyone: What are your thoughts on judo?
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Meh, I'm not that hot on Judo, but it's better than nothing. It's what you like though, that's all that matters. Isn't Jujitsu supposed to be better though? *shrugs*

I prefer Ansatsuken. My shoryuken is fierce! :P

Nah, in all seriousness though, aside from Kenjutsu I've always thought that Kenpo was pretty cool. I've never actually got to train in the style though, but I've seen it exhibited and they've got some cool forms.

I thought you were into boxing though? Lots of good stuff to be had there too, you should stick with that. Its your call though, of course.
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Buzkashi wrote:The gym i've been training at has shut down. T_T

I've been looking for another place to train that is in driving district. But have not been so lucky as to find a place i liked as much as i did my previous gym.

I checked out a Judo practice on monday and I'm pretty sure i'ma start training judo.

@everyone: What are your thoughts on judo?
My Dad trained for years in Judo while he lived in Japan. My only personal experience has been with him when I was a boy and his personal philosophy of it. Though I have trained with people versed in Judo, and have succumbed to throws I've never seen coming.

From an MMA standpoint I'd say Judo is very good for takedowns from the clinch and quick transition submissions. But better get ready to get tossed around for awhile, if anything Judo teaches you how to fall "correctly"......if that makes any sense. At least that was what my father used to say.
Let's put a smile on that face...............
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

It makes a lot of sense. There's definitely a correct way to fall, just ask professional wrestlers. ;)

No I'm serious. You can get seriously injured if you don't know how to fall right. Not that I know much about that, but maybe a little. :P
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

So I went to the judo practice. It was pretty great. Very very small world though, as a student from one of my classes also came that day for the first time(though i later found out that hes a purple belt in jiu jitsu @_@). We worked on some throws, some chokes, and some basic matwork. Then we did live free-play. Which is the hardest part about any grappling/wrestling practice. Needless to say my wrestling background helped me out a lot there, as i went against some more experienced opponents and even a black belt.

Overall I really enjoyed the practice and am now a member there. Also the classmate, hooked me up with some info regarding bjj and will possibly hook me up at where he trains. (his instructor was actually in the judo class with us.)
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Buzkashi wrote:So I went to the judo practice. It was pretty great. Very very small world though, as a student from one of my classes also came that day for the first time(though i later found out that hes a purple belt in jiu jitsu @_@). We worked on some throws, some chokes, and some basic matwork. Then we did live free-play. Which is the hardest part about any grappling/wrestling practice. Needless to say my wrestling background helped me out a lot there, as i went against some more experienced opponents and even a black belt.

Overall I really enjoyed the practice and am now a member there. Also the classmate, hooked me up with some info regarding bjj and will possibly hook me up at where he trains. (his instructor was actually in the judo class with us.)
Very impressive credentials for some of your training mates. The experience you'll gain from training with some of these guys will be priceless, and surely will point you in the right direction regarding where you want to be. Cross-training Judo and BJJ is pretty badass, though they share similar roots as far as disciplines it is a wicked combination for taking a fight to where you want it to go.

Go watch HL's of Shinya Aoki and BJ Penn to see two badass fighters who began their careers versed in each of these disciplines.
Let's put a smile on that face...............
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Yea judo is dope. It was really sick cause i was surprised how much my wrestling helped. I mean I havent wrestled in 4 years. i was pretty decent back then but still, i didnt expect it to help me much. At one point we took off the tops of our gui's and continued sparing and i was just double legging people left and right. Btw, throws are the most badass techniques ever. Throwing a guy whos 2 inches and 20 lbs heavier than you is sick as fuck.

Im not sure if ima start bjj right away. For now i'm looking for a place where i can continue my boxing training. I still would really love to get into some amateur fights. Maybe some smokers or something, i dont care.
MadDogMike
Mastered PM

Post by MadDogMike »

Buzkashi wrote:Theres no one in the UFC that can beat brock lesnar.

Sorry.
Frank Mir's performance today says otherwise. :D

Who else caught UFC 92 today? So many upsets!
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

upsets?? there were no upsets.

always bet on black (which was true) and Mir wanted this more than Nog.
MadDogMike
Mastered PM

Post by MadDogMike »

halfnhalf wrote:upsets?? there were no upsets.

always bet on black (which was true) and Mir wanted this more than Nog.
For me and my friends there were (we were all fans of Pride). That's not to say that we don't like UFC, it's the exact opposite, but we didn't expect Wanderlei and Nog to get destroyed like they did.

I can't wait to see Mir's rematch with Lesnar. :D