Martial Arts

Way off-topic, and allowed! General discussions on anything and everything.

Moderator: EG Members

Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Re: Martial Arts

Post by Buzkashi »

I dont think he meant spoiler in that way.

Iono man, I'd give Forrest the second round, maybe even 10-8. But his ground and pound wasn't that damaging. Not very many clean shots landed at all. From my POV was just trying to tire rampage out a bit.

And Rampages escape from that triangle should be seen as points towards rampage for escape rather than a plus towards forrest. I mean lifting someone up when they got you in a triangle is a feat in itself.

All in all, I think the judging was impartial. As is the norm these days in fights. They're a corporation in the end and are lookin for ratings and possible future events.
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

I dunno, I've talked to some people who watched it, and even the ones who thought Rampage should have won could have concieveably seen how the points could have reflected it. I think part of the judge's decision may have to do with the mentality that the champion should either finish the fight himself or get knocked out. It's kind of tough to claim you are the undisputed champion when someone takes you "the distance" and the points are that close. I'm not saying that is the exact reason, but something along those lines has got to pop into a judges head from time to time during a championship bout.
ImageImage
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Oscar De la hoya and Mayweather went the distance. Oscar kept pushing the fight but didnt do nearly as much damage as floyd.

You're saying that maybe oscar should have been given the fight?

I'm not following
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

I'm not saying it excuses it or that it is right, but it might have been something the judges were considered when scoring. I dunno, I shouldn't really be talking about it since I didn't watch the fight.

And besides, it won't matter who has the belt, now that Anderson Silva is going Light-Heavyweight, it's pretty much a forgone conclusion he's getting the title if he decides to stay there.
ImageImage
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Tempest wrote:I'm not saying it excuses it or that it is right, but it might have been something the judges were considered when scoring. I dunno, I shouldn't really be talking about it since I didn't watch the fight.

And besides, it won't matter who has the belt, now that Anderson Silva is going Light-Heavyweight, it's pretty much a forgone conclusion he's getting the title if he decides to stay there.
Machida looks pretty fucking unbeatable right now at 205. He has yet to lose, or even come close to losing, a round since being in the UFC.
Let's put a smile on that face...............
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Yea Machida is pretty hard.

We'll have to see how good Silva does in the 19th to know for sure.

What yall think about Lesnar Vs Heath Herring?

I'm leaning towards Herring just cause hes had experience against top fighters, but this really would be a big win for Lesnar. Who is not only strong as an ox (steroids), but a great wrestler.

July is gonna be an amazing month for fights. Besides the Irvin/Silva and Fedor/Sylvia, we got James Toney vs Hasim Rahman for free on wednesday also.

Caint wait.
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Buzkashi wrote:Yea Machida is pretty hard.

We'll have to see how good Silva does in the 19th to know for sure.

What yall think about Lesnar Vs Heath Herring?

I'm leaning towards Herring just cause hes had experience against top fighters, but this really would be a big win for Lesnar. Who is not only strong as an ox (steroids), but a great wrestler.
Herring is a good fighter, and a while back was considered an elite HW, so I have mad respect for him and would never underestimate him.

That said I imagine Herring getting absolutely wrecked by Lesnar. Though it might sound strange, I was very impressed with Lesnar in his last fight. He lost pretty much the only way Mir could have beat him which was via a footlock. But before that he literally knocked Mir off his feet by what appeared at first like a whiff, and passed Mir's guard (keep in mind Mir's a BJJ blackbelt) before Mir even knew Brock had closed in on him. And Mir got lucky with the ref calling a silly penalty on Lesnar while Lesnar was in the process of hammer-fisting Mir through the mat whom Lesnar had effectively pinned with side-control at the time.

As far as Herring goes, he is not a submission fighter nor is he a KO artist. Herring's at his best when taking down and pounding his opponent which I just don't see him doing to Lesnar. I believe a fighter like Herring was handpicked by Dana for Lesnar to get a win, considering Herring is a big name and is a fighter that will look to engage Lesnar. Where Herring is a straightforward fighter, and not the type of fighter that Lesnar's will need be concerned about getting caught or set up via some slick submission that would capitalize on his inexperience or over-aggression.

Herring's only chance is to ride out Lesnar's initial onslaught, hoping that Lesnar will blow his load and gas himself out. Though it doesn't take an expert to predict that this fight could get ugly real fast.............
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Some good leg kicks or one clean one to the head is all it takes tho.

And Herring can pull a Cro Cop vs Bob Sapp or a Forrest vs Rampage.
MadDogMike
Mastered PM

Post by MadDogMike »

I could never take Herring seriously after watching his fight with Fedor. I mean, have you even seen how pathetic he looked in that fight?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eV3bBxemq8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JG7xn7niu8Y
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

MadDogMike wrote:I could never take Herring seriously after watching his fight with Fedor. I mean, have you even seen how pathetic he looked in that fight?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eV3bBxemq8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JG7xn7niu8Y
This fight was an ass-beating and a half. But Herring made out no worse than pretty much everyone else who has faced Fedor.

Ironically.....Going into that fight Fedor was a relative no-name at the time, brought in as fodder for Herring to beat in order to set up a blockbuster HW title fight between Herring and Nogueira. Keep in mind at the time of this fight Herring was in his prime and considered among the top HW's in the world. Though after this fight he was never the same fighter.

Though here's a better beatdown IMO.....Quick and sweet

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 8919428823
http://www.youtube.com/v/pwmNY3lKiSI&hl=en&fs=1
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Anyone know how to find upcoming MMA and Amateur Boxing events in your area? I'm tryin to compete soon and I have no idea where to start. Google has been no help.
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Buzkashi wrote:Anyone know how to find upcoming MMA and Amateur Boxing events in your area? I'm tryin to compete soon and I have no idea where to start. Google has been no help.
If you train at a boxing gym, BJJ studio,...etc., in your area, that would be the first place I'd look (this place being the last :lol: ) to inquire about such things

Back in Philadelphia from my experience, most who competed locally in amateur events, did so through the boxing gym in which we trained at the time. And in regards to BJJ tournaments and even MMA events, there are plenty of oppurtunities to compete in events year round, with a set-up that works similarly to the boxing.
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

so i like live 2 minutes from Newport Beach (i used to live in newport 2 years ago) but just yesterday Quition Rampage Jackson went on a Rampage and got arrested for evading the police and causing havok on the road (almost hit people).

http://photos.tmz.com/galleries/rampage_arrested

i think having a picture of you on your own truck is pretty much a stupid idea from now on.
lon3vvolf
n00b Smasher

Post by lon3vvolf »

Haha I love it. Nothing like some Rampage to build up the UFC name brand.
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

Jesus Rampage, I know it was a close decision but this is not the way to go about getting a rematch.
ImageImage
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

The Prince wrote:
Buzkashi wrote:Anyone know how to find upcoming MMA and Amateur Boxing events in your area? I'm tryin to compete soon and I have no idea where to start. Google has been no help.
If you train at a boxing gym, BJJ studio,...etc., in your area, that would be the first place I'd look (this place being the last :lol: ) to inquire about such things

Back in Philadelphia from my experience, most who competed locally in amateur events, did so through the boxing gym in which we trained at the time. And in regards to BJJ tournaments and even MMA events, there are plenty of oppurtunities to compete in events year round, with a set-up that works similarly to the boxing.
I was lookin for something more along the lines of a website that had a database of them or something. My gym only has 2 things posted up and one is BJJ tourney the other is a Grappling one. I'm lookin for some amateur boxing. And maybe some mma.

Anyone watch the toney fight. I came in at the end, seems like a disappointing fight.
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Buzkashi wrote:
The Prince wrote:

I was lookin for something more along the lines of a website that had a database of them or something. My gym only has 2 things posted up and one is BJJ tourney the other is a Grappling one. I'm lookin for some amateur boxing. And maybe some mma.

Anyone watch the toney fight. I came in at the end, seems like a disappointing fight.
Expect anything less between those two?

No idea regarding the website thing.....
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Iono I was expecting something good at least. James Toney is a great fighter. One of the best.
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

James Toney was a great fighter.

Always found him rather boring.
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

Isn't finding fights a manager's job? so if they just listed everything, it would kind of undercut their position wouldnt it?
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Gotta love boxing.

Kelly Pavlik vs Bernard Hopkins

Roy Jones Jr. vs Joe Calzaghe

possibly... Pavlik vs. Calzaghe.??

Plus, Rampage was checked into a mental health clinic.
MadDogMike
Mastered PM

Post by MadDogMike »

FEDOR IS MY HERO!

36 seconds!
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

MadDogMike wrote:FEDOR IS MY HERO!

36 seconds!
Mine too!
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Did you guys see Silva's new fight now that he's fighting at 205 again? Man, this guy is freaking amazing. He never fails to impress.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

I dont think Silva plans on continuing to fight at 205. That was kind of a stunt put out by Dana White to combay Affliction BaND.

I did like Silvas fight tho. It was kinda cool cause the exact sequence of leg catch and counter he did, we were practicing in muay thai the day before.