Martial Arts

Way off-topic, and allowed! General discussions on anything and everything.

Moderator: EG Members

Biketrialer
imanewbie

Martial Arts

Post by Biketrialer »

Martial arts, self defense, and other forms of protecting yourself and/or attacking the other one.
I'm practicing Muay Thai and Krav Maga right now, let me introduce them to you.

Muay Thai: it's a traditional martial art from Thailand. Thai people used it in wars, and it wasn't unusal that they had to fight against weapons with their bare hands and legs. Therefore it's pretty effective.
However nowadays it's only a sport, you have to wear gloves and stuff to participate in a competition(thais used ropes instead of gloves), and a lot of move is prohibited to use(like attacking the groin, which could lead to serious injuries on a competition). Unfortunately you can't learn traditional muay thai unless you're in Thailand.
However it's still good for street fights, those who practice muay thai usually have great stamina, and can stand against quite few hits. K1, Pride, UFC, mma fighters usually practice muay thai too.

Krav Maga: It's a Self defense and tactical fight system from Israel. It isn't for competition, you won't be able to break bricks with your hand either, but you can get home safe. Krav maga prepares you how to avoid dangerous situations on the streets, you will learn how to defend yourself from knife attacks, multiple enemies and so on.

(i tried searching for 'martial arts', but didn't find a topic for it, i hope this won't get in the way)
Starnum
Elven King

Re: Martial Arts

Post by Starnum »

Well, heh, I'm sadly out-of-practice, but I still like to shadow and spar from time to time. I'm really big into Kenjutsu, I've never been in a Kendo club or anything, I'm American. :P

I've really gotten into boxing the last few years (Thank you Ippo), nothing serious or anything though. Also, I grew up with my own adapted style of martial arts, basically what you'd call MMA (though I'm no damn UFC Fighter, those guys would stomp my ass. I hate when every guy around with half a muscle and no brain thinks they can fight evenly with these guys. They're human, but they're also seasoned professional fighters.) a little of this and a little of that. I definitely enjoy striking, and using take-downs for some good old ground and pound. I've got a little bit of submission and like-wise defence training, but not much. I've been into martial arts since I was a kid, I'm sure that's ultimately what lead me to anime. Yes, I'm a sword fanatic, that's my true forte. Though honestly I'm not much of a fighter, it's more of a casual hobby, but I can defend myself if it comes down to it. Other than that you have to make me pretty mad to actually try to fight you, and then you better be big and bad, or else its not going to be pretty. Mainly, I know more about martial arts than I can do martial arts, but I can do some, and knowing how to attack and defend properly definitely helps. That aside, I dominate at being a nerd far more than that. Yes sir, you think my punches are hard and fast, you should see my mad rapid button pressing skills. I'm like the flash with that shit. :P

Also, I might not be able to tell you the capital of some random place, or what A+B='s. However, I can probably tell you who and what that one guy's name was in that one episode of anime for 1 second, or what that one attack was, or who Gatt's grandma is...or something like that. Um, but yes, martial arts is cool and stuff. :P
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

I had 4 years training in wrestling. So I still and probably always will know the basics of take downs and take down defenses. It actually helps alot because you always have some dumb guys trying to wrestle you in a fight and you just do a quick lil sprawl and pound on the back of there head with some hammer fists.

Other than that I did tae kwon do when i was younger and got to brown belt. But yea I'm not much of a striker or anything, I can take a hit pretty well though.

Krav Maga: I was considering learning this untill I got in a scuffle with this jewish kid, who apparently studied it, and whooped on him pretty bad. Just goes to show that sometimes its not what school you're part of but just who is fighting.
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Who is fighting is definitely important. Weight classes and the such are no joke. There's always going to be guys who are just bigger, stronger, faster, or more skilled than you. Take your pic, or all of the above. You've just got to know how to deal with what you can. Also, self-defense is ultimately about gaining the advantage, whatever means necessary. Ah, but as a striker, I love the sprawl. I don't do a lot of wrestling, unless it's to get a mount for striking, or unless I'm forced into it. I was sparing with a friend of mine one day though, nothing serious, but he's like a buck fifty, where as I'm an easy 200. He's a wrestler and an ex-marine though, but he underestimated my weight advantage, and my skill honestly. He tried to shoot my legs, and with a quick sprawl, just like Buz said, I had him face down in the dirt with all my weight on his back. That's the thing about striking, you start pounding on a guy's kidneys and ribs with a somewhat rapid pace (we were going "below the neck" of course), they start wanting to take you down and put a stop to it. Heh, you've got to be ready for that is all. Then again, some guys are just gonna soak that shit like it’s nothing and grab you up and slam the hell out of your ass. It really does just matter who's fighting, heh.

Buz, isn't brown belt the second to last belt, like right before black belt? I'd think that'd make you pretty darn good at Tae Kwon Do. Though, I guess it depends on where you train too, but still. Heh, I couldn't claim to be as high as a brown belt in anything, but maybe like a green or something. :P
Biketrialer
imanewbie

Post by Biketrialer »

Martial arts were originally "made" for the weaker, against bigger people who had the advantage of the bigger body(weight, strength, and stuff). Any 2m tall skinhead "mountain" couldn't stand after a kick to the groin.

I prefer kicks and punches against wrestling, because i don't know any wrestling moves and as far as i know wrestlers get to ground fight usually. On the streets, if you get down to the ground while taking the guy down, other enemies can kick your face, and stuff.

Yeah, you shouldn't compare different martial arts, only fighters.

Krav Maga need some time(like a year) before it gets effective. I think i would easily beat half of the KM group at my city. However probably i couldn't do a thing against our instructor, or someone, who has been practicing KM for 1,5-2 years already. (Also you don't have to be a jew to practice KM)
Also there are different Krav Maga federations, and IKMF(International Krav Maga Federation) is the most effective and trustworthy among them, the others are fakes, selling their bullshat with the name Krav Maga.
But i can declare that there's nothing better for self-defense other than Krav Maga. It's been invented for this, it's improving, and prepares you to all possible situations.

I like Tae kwon do, it has nice kicks.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Thats funny cause the guy I fought tried to hit me in the groin. Thank God he missed slightly. All it ended up doing was getting me so mad I rushed him got him to the ground and pounded him till people pulled me off.

Starnum: I was like 10 when I took tae kwon do. I believe after brown belt I had red belt, black/red belt, red/ black belt, then black belt. My instructors name was Sam Montgomery. I believe he was somewhat famous. Now my older brother( 4 years older) achieved black belt in this school and he used to whoop me into next sunday.
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

Buzkashi wrote: Krav Maga: I was considering learning this untill I got in a scuffle with this jewish kid, who apparently studied it, and whooped on him pretty bad. Just goes to show that sometimes its not what school you're part of but just who is fighting.
I dunno, if there is anyone I would trust to make a competent fighting style, it would have to be a people who are basically surrounded on all sides by their enemies with the threat of violence hanging over them at all times. I saw a special on it on this show called "Human Weapon" where they study a style for a week or so with 2 or 3 experts and during the Krav Maga episode the guys were pretty hardcore. From what I understood while it is used for self defense, it is mostly a military art designed specifically to kill rather than injure/stop your attacker. Maybe he was taking it easy on you. Or maybe he just sucked at it.

I studied Tang Soo Do (A Korean style reminiscent of Tae Kwon Do which incorporates different aspects from Chinese, Japanese, and other Korean styles) for about 8 years and got my red belt (One away from black) until school and work made it impossible to go to class. While I wasn't keen on the fact that it had a bunch of younger kids in it (it was at a rec center) and the number of students meant that higher up students like me had to do more instructing than learning/sparring, I would not give up the knowledge and experience I got from it for the world. If I ever get the chance to take up another martial art, I think I would be keen on Jujitsu (Japanese, not the Brazlian MMA stuff).
ImageImage
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Tempest wrote:
Buzkashi wrote: Krav Maga: I was considering learning this untill I got in a scuffle with this jewish kid, who apparently studied it, and whooped on him pretty bad. Just goes to show that sometimes its not what school you're part of but just who is fighting.
I dunno, if there is anyone I would trust to make a competent fighting style, it would have to be a people who are basically surrounded on all sides by their enemies with the threat of violence hanging over them at all times. I saw a special on it on this show called "Human Weapon" where they study a style for a week or so with 2 or 3 experts and during the Krav Maga episode the guys were pretty hardcore. From what I understood while it is used for self defense, it is mostly a military art designed specifically to kill rather than injure/stop your attacker. Maybe he was taking it easy on you. Or maybe he just sucked at it.

I've seen the human weapon show. Though never the Krav Maga episode. But iono, I dont think the Krava Maga really helps the jews with there enemies. Its definitely their far superior military. If I was to trust anyone with martial arts it'd be the chinese.
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

surprised Buz hasnt just said boxing...

seriously, you want to learn how to defend yourself, just go pick up boxing. Learn how to actually throw an effective punch, quite menacing when you can actually throw real one...

The biggest difference always in a fight is experience. Have you been punched in the face by a bare fist? It fucking hurts, especally if getting hit in the head is not apart of your job description. Only conditioning would ever help you in defending against that.

Everyone thinks they know how to fight, till they rocked in the face.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

I agree, boxing is great. Knowing how to effectively rotate and put your weight behind your punches helps a lot. Arm punches are nothing when you slug a guy with a full-on left hook that he didn't see coming, heh. Yeah, I've been punched in the face several times, and yeah it does hurt, but I have a decent pain-tolerance. I've never been knocked-out by a punch (though I've had an accident and hit my head and got knocked-out.) I've been in my share of fights, and I've won some and I've lost some. Though I've never been KO'ed by a punch, I've never been hit in the face by some really huge or badass dude, like Chuck Lidell or something. I know what I can take, and some dudes you can just tell you don't want punching you in the face. That's what blocking and dodging are for, or just avoidance of the fight in general. Yeah, everyone thinks they can fight, but I've found that a lot of people don't know how to defend properly. If you keep your hands up and actually dodge and block, well not many people are like Ippo and can seriously hurt you even though you blocked or deflected their punch. Boxing is great, and it's helped me a lot, but if I get into a real fight, there's going to be a lot more going on then just boxing. :P

Plus, a lot of guys aren't expecting a counter punch. I had a guy try to hit me with a wide-swing right one time, guess he didn't expect I knew anything about fighting, I guess I give off that impression if you don't know me very well. Blocking the punch with my left arm wasn't all that hard, and before he knew it, he was eating a right-cross. The guy was bigger than me, well taller and fatter at least, but I knocked him on his ass. I didn't knock him out, but he didn't stand up too quickly either. Like a lot of fights I've seen, that was pretty much it. I didn't want to fight the guy in the first place, but if I had, that would have been my chance to jump on his ass and continue to throw a beating. There were a bunch of people standing around though, and they weren't going to let us continue anyway. So I just told him to fuck off and leave me alone. Like I said, I didn't want to fight him anyway, he just threw on me because I told him to get out of our bay, because he was fucking with some other guys in my room. You know, he always respected me after that, and we never had any trouble from then on. It's a shame he couldn't have just listened to me in the first place, since I was a dorm leader and all, heh. You know, I've had my ass kicked before too though, and it definitely wasn't a pleasant experience. You come to learn pretty quick not to underestimate someone, even when you get to the point that you can size a guy up just by looking at him. If you corner a person, some of them will surprise you. Though most people let their inexperience get to them, and they don't actually even try to fight back. You can probably do more than you realize. Though I've also seen people try to fight when they don't know how. Seen a guy try to fight my boy CT one day, oh man, now that was a slaughter. I started off instigating the fight, then when the other guy was getting really bloodied up, I had to pull my boy off of him. I was feeling kind of guilty and all, you know. Yeah, then there are some guys you can just tell that you don't want to fuck with. Experience really helps with that too, heh.
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

I have been training in mixed-martial arts (MMA) for a while now. I have never formally competed, but I just like the culture and the fighters themselves.

IMO opinion the best combination of martial arts (for MMA) is probably Muay Thai, Brazilian Jui-jitsu, mixed in with some grappling skills (for takedowns or preventing being taken down). It seems those people cross-training in these forms, have the most success.

*In regards to Krav Manga....its effective, but many of its techniques involve literally maiming people. So its not really a viable martial art in terms of competition. If you ever get into a fight with someone in Krav Manga, expect a dirty fight. By all means protect your knee-caps, ears (very easy to rip-off), and watch for the always effective eye-gouging.

I wrestled in college and did some amateur boxing for a couple years when I graduated. Now I still do a little boxing (belong to a boxing gym), but lately only have time for BJJ training. After almost 3 yrs, I have become a green-belt (hopefully will get my purple this year) which is pretty fast. My wrestling base has definitely helped, where in BJJ positioning is everything.

That said I love to watch MMA. My current favorite fighters are Takanori Gomi (arguably the best LW in the world), lost his last fight due to poor conditioning and Vanderlei Silva (once the top-LHW in the world....though has slipped lately).

If any one wants to talk MMA or about this most recent UFC, I would love to do it.
Let's put a smile on that face...............
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

The Prince wrote: *In regards to Krav Manga....its effective, but many of its techniques involve literally maiming people. So its not really a viable martial art in terms of competition. If you ever get into a fight with someone in Krav Manga, expect a dirty fight. By all means protect your knee-caps, ears (very easy to rip-off), and watch for the always effective eye-gouging.
Well, it depends on why you're fighting and all, but if someone is really trying to seriously hurt you, I say you do whatever it takes to protect yourself. Other than that, I say fight fair if you have the luxury to do so.

I'm a big fan of the UFC and Pride, but I didn't see the last Pay-Per-View.
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Fighting 101

Post by The Prince »

halfnhalf wrote:surprised Buz hasnt just said boxing...

seriously, you want to learn how to defend yourself, just go pick up boxing. Learn how to actually throw an effective punch, quite menacing when you can actually throw real one...

The biggest difference always in a fight is experience. Have you been punched in the face by a bare fist? It fucking hurts, especally if getting hit in the head is not apart of your job description. Only conditioning would ever help you in defending against that.

Everyone thinks they know how to fight, till they rocked in the face.
LOL....did you come up with that phrase yourself?

J/K....though trite, very true. Though I'd say, even more, everyone thinks they know how to fight, till they know no one will be around to break it up.

IMO the best strategy in a fight is simple composure. Though, the always reliable (well connected) cheap shot to the face, can end a fight before it even begins. But if you decide to take that rout, NEVER pull your punch. Not only will your opponent think you are a pussy while eliminating your advantage, but at that point your opponent will than have every legal/moral right (and won't hesitate) to stomp your ass into the ground.

You'll be surprised how quickly people fatique in a fight.....due to their sympathetics being on overdrive. I see people literally psyche themselves out (out of breath) before a fight even starts. I guarantee you for 99% of the population, within the first 30-secs of a fight, a person is effectively spent, regardless of taking any shots. Though most fights are broken up or friends intervene well before stamina ever comes into question.

But lets say you ask a guy to step out of the bar, and you know you're in for a fight without relying on friends or good semaritans intervening. My initial strategy would be to prolong the fight as long as possible, mainly through prolonging the initial physical engagement by dancing around or feigning strikes and takedowns. Don't forget to taunt while feigning self-confidence...as this makes most people lose whatever composure they may have had remaining.

Anyone who has been training is at a huge advantage, simply due to being in fighting shape (which is totally different than being physically in shape) regardless of ability. You put a triathlete on the mat or in the ring, within a minute or two of grappling or striking he'll be gassed. If your fatiqued, you can't effectively fight (its simple really), I don't care how big and tough someone is.

Thus if you train, by all means take the fight to the ground. Just the mere act of your opponent struggling on the ground will effectively take the wind out of their sails even if the fight gets back to the feet.
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Starnum wrote:
The Prince wrote: *In regards to Krav Manga....its effective, but many of its techniques involve literally maiming people. So its not really a viable martial art in terms of competition. If you ever get into a fight with someone in Krav Manga, expect a dirty fight. By all means protect your knee-caps, ears (very easy to rip-off), and watch for the always effective eye-gouging.
Well, it depends on why you're fighting and all, but if someone is really trying to seriously hurt you, I say you do whatever it takes to protect yourself. Other than that, I say fight fair if you have the luxury to do so.

I'm a big fan of the UFC and Pride, but I didn't see the last Pay-Per-View.
There's one on right now. Brock Lesnar is fighting (for real) in the Main Event....should be interesting.

Edit: Here a HL of Takanori Gomi

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6302679962

*Starnum could you please embed for me?
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Yeah, I heard Brock Lesner would be fighting. You'll have to let me know how that goes.

Uh, either I messed up your link, or its not working.
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Starnum wrote:Yeah, I heard Brock Lesner would be fighting. You'll have to let me know how that goes.

Uh, either I messed up your link, or its not working.
Thanks anyway....the PBP for UFC 81 can be found here.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news.asp?n_id=11128
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Ah, loss by a knee-bar, that's too bad for Lesnar, sounded like he was doing pretty good up until then. Anyway, thanks for the link.
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

hammer fists mayhem, he had him on this. Plus Brock moves fast on the ground.

The gif shows how he got caught, but in the actual fight video, this things comes out of nowhere. But yah Mir is back, took a beating and dealed a beating. What was actually great was that Mir tried for two arm bar attempts, but couldnt do it because, "his arms were way to big."

But the most entertaining fight of the night was the throw.

Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Oh, nice throw, right on his head, heh. Yeah, Brock is a huge dude, but it just goes to show that it doesn't matter how big you are, you can still get caught.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

In Fedor's last fight he arm bared a 7ft + guy.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

I could beat the shit out of everyone that has posted in this thread with one hand tied to my back.
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Femto wrote:I could beat the shit out of everyone that has posted in this thread with one hand tied to my back.
LOL, No doubt.

BTW......Here's the link to the Brock Lesnar-Frank Mir fight.

http://www.mmalinker.com/index.php?t=t& ... .Frank.Mir
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

Hung Man Cho is a joke... the guy hasnt fought anyone good.

buz you watch MMA now? I mean, your boy, is on fire. No one can stop him.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Thats cause my boy is the greatest fighter of his time..

Hah. Yea I watch MMA. Gives me something to watch inbetween boxing matches.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Who, Fedor? Yeah, that guy is a tyrant.