Movies of '08

Way off-topic, and allowed! General discussions on anything and everything.

Moderator: EG Members

Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Re: Movies of '08

Post by Buzkashi »

Just saw Tropic Thunder. It was genius.

"Why dont you take 2 steps back... AND LITERALLY FUCK YOUR FACE!!"

lol
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
Loeviz
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Loeviz »

Tropic Thunder was awesome :D
Really funny, glad went to the movies and saw this one :P

\"No Sane man will dance.\"
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero (106-43 BC)
lon3vvolf
n00b Smasher

Post by lon3vvolf »

I don't know if anyone talked about these movies before but I just saw "the fall" and "Redbelt" over the weekend. Both great movies. Don't be fooled by 'the fall's appearance, its a pretty intense movie. Redbelt was what should have been released in theaters instead of the garbage that was 'never back down.' Both are good enough to actually own if you like the subject matter.
Loeviz
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Loeviz »

Redbelt was an ok movie but the ending didnt sum up the whole film. Was a few months since I saw it now so my memory might play tricks on me.

Edit: finally saw the latest Indiana movie, begun watching it three times before but turned if off after 5 minutes.
It was way worse than I thought. So sad that Lucas released this crap.

lon3vvolf
n00b Smasher

Post by lon3vvolf »

I liked the open ending of Redbelt, it was up to your own interpretation as to what happened at the end. The whole movie also showed how the guys code of life came around and benefited him.
Loeviz wrote:Edit: finally saw the latest Indiana movie, begun watching it three times before but turned if off after 5 minutes.
It was way worse than I thought. So sad that Lucas released this crap.
Indiana Jones: Hmmm I'll hide in a refrigerator to cover from an atomic bomb.
Also I called the whole "aliens did it" thing 30 min into the movie.

Any good upcoming movies?
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

You know.....I 've being wondering.......how could George Lucas, the man who created a classic like the Star Wars saga screw up so much everything he touches lately? Is he even the same G.L. who directed those movies? Well, I think not.
Some may call me paranoid, some may say I am nothing more than another conspiracy theorist, some may even claim that I lost my sanity that time I injected an entire bottle of Kleenex into my skull to cleanse my mind, but I 'll be damned if the man who has been single handedly destroying every single jewel Hollywood has ever created is G.L.!!

Just look at his height......it has diminished to a quarter in just 2 decades!! Thats not him growing old! Thats an alien sucking his life essence!! Yes....just like Yoko Ono sucked every last drop of geniality out of John Lennon, this strange creature, slowly but surely, has been feeding on his talent.
Nonetheless, it is not all lost my friends.....just fax me your credit card number to 555 89- scam! I am not sure how, or when, but what is absolutely certain in my head is that that, eventually, will help me vanquish that alien! Remember, 555 89- scam! I am counting on you!

PD: Watched Tropic Thunder......I loved it. I expected nothing, and ended up laughing my ass off. Everyone should go watch it. Now.
One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings.
~Diogenes of Sinope
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

I just rented Leatherheads, which stars george clooney, renee zelwegger, and that guy from the office. I thought it was hilarious. if you're out renting movies you should definitely check it out. Also that Apaloosa movie (western) looks like it's going to be pretty good.
Loeviz
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Loeviz »

lon3vvolf wrote: Indiana Jones: Hmmm I'll hide in a refrigerator to cover from an atomic bomb.
Also I called the whole "aliens did it" thing 30 min into the movie.

Any good upcoming movies?

The refrigerator thing was so god damn bad, the acting was bad. Did they even reuse the punching sound effects from the first movie?
Anyway they sucked :P

The only funny with the movie was the rope snake, and you saw it was pure rubber baby :(

Any good upcoming movies, good question. Max Payne is either going to kick ass or be one of the worst movies this year (Well not as bad as Indiana, no one can top this).

In a few months there is a new Punisher movie coming out, also Frank Millers The Spirit :)

Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

I actually kind of liked "Never Back Down". I mean, it was better than I expected at least. Which is to say, I expected it to totally suck and have no redeeming qualities, but it wasn't that bad, and it had a couple of good things going for it. For example, Djimon Hounsou, was like the best thing about that movie.

I'm looking forward to Max Payne. I mean at first when I heard about it I seriously doubted it could be any good. I didn't really like the game though, and I always thought it would be better as a movie, as that's kind of what it seemed like they were going for anyway. Also, I'm a fan of Mark Wahlberg, so when I heard he was in it, that makes it much more promising in my opinion.

As for the new Indiana Jones movie, I still haven't seen it, and am in no hurry to do so. It's sad, because I haven't even seen it yet and I already consider it a joke.
DrPepperPro
Dirty Sennin

Post by DrPepperPro »

Max Payne is going to seem better compared to the Dragonball trailer that's going to be shown before it.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

I have my doubts about Max Payne, I really liked the games, the story was really good and the graphic novel way of telling it was awesome, but it seems they're taking a lot of liberties with the movie. We'll see how it comes out.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
dialdfordesi
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by dialdfordesi »

Yeah, I don't get the whole thing with Max Payne looking to God and a demon pulling him out of the window. Also, I don't know how the story could be told without a noir comic book style narration.
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

I only played a little of the game, but didn't it have a supernatural element to it as well? I thought it did, but maybe I'm mistaken.
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

dialdfordesi wrote:Yeah, I don't get the whole thing with Max Payne looking to God and a demon pulling him out of the window. Also, I don't know how the story could be told without a noir comic book style narration.

hallucination from the Valkyrie drug maybe? Maybe there is a noir narration, just not over the top like the game.

eitherway, dont hype it, video games into movies havent turned out to be that great yet.

BTW i saw hellboy 2, seriously, did the producers have to force EVER goddamn explanation? its like OH NOE1! people are going to wonder what they are doing when they just told us, so we must quickly have a character say what they are doing again. compared to the first one, the 2nd one sucked donkey balls.

BTW I am Legend with Will Smith is not a "good" movie, it is an "okay" movie at best. My fucking roommate got all antsy about I am Legend coming out on fucking on demand and just looked at him... Will Smith was exceptional, but the movie ruined the title of the book and Omega Man is still better.

Rolos wrote: Is he even the same G.L. who directed those movies?

George Lucas only directed "A New Hope." (notice that there are only 3 star wars movies) At that time he knew he wasnt capable of being a director, just a producer. Now that he has become what he has feared (seriously the guy fucking thinks of himself as luke skywalker of the movie industry, from a nothing to now controlling an empire).
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

halfnhalf wrote:BTW I am Legend with Will Smith is not a "good" movie, it is an "okay" movie at best. My fucking roommate got all antsy about I am Legend coming out on fucking on demand and just looked at him... Will Smith was exceptional, but the movie ruined the title of the book and Omega Man is still better.
That's exactly what I said like two years ago when I saw it.

Anyway, I saw Mongol and it's a great movie, really liked it. Impressive on every level.

The The X Files - I Want To Believe is good if you liked the TV show, cause the movie feels a lot like a very long episode.

Mirros, is pretty good for a thriller, I'd say it's about as good as thrillers get, but it doesn't try anything new, so it feels somewhat standard.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Loeviz
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Loeviz »

The X-files was just like a crappy X-files episode. Which isnt even ok, I used to love X-files but this wasnt even worth my time.
Ok it wasnt on the same level as Indiana but not far away.

Havent seen or heard anything of Mongol, have to check it out.

Saw Babylon A.D and to be honest I didnt really get some parts of the movie.
[spoiler]What the hell did Aurora die of I dont get it? Did her battery run out or what the f*ck[/spoiler]

Edit. Max Payne was an utterly failure...

MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

you guys hear that Terrence Howard is being replaced by Don Cheadle in the 2nd iron man movie?
MournfulWoods
This is my new home

Post by MournfulWoods »

Heard that. Don cheadle isn't bad in any case but it would definately have been better with Terrence Howard reprising is role.

Max Payne was disappointing indeed. The mood was allright, the visuals too, but come one....Mila Kunis as a mercenary ?? and what was she in the movie for ? Her character was really unnecessary. She doesn't pass as Olga's OLDER sister neither.
http://backalleybazaar.wordpress.com
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

Mournful woods.....wheres your avatar from? Looks pretty awesome to me.

PD: George Lucas has contracted the *Inverted Midas* disease.....its a shame. Now everything he touches turns into shit.
One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings.
~Diogenes of Sinope
MournfulWoods
This is my new home

Post by MournfulWoods »

It's from an artist called Keith Thompson : http://www.keiththompsonart.com/
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

AHHH MY EYES!!!

What the fuck was SS thinking?!?!?! Indy 4 raped me and i cant get the images out of my head. It raped me soo bad that i turned it off 20 minutes in. FUCK! i saw he south park episode on Indy getting raped, but seriously, they fucked with INDY!

I doubt i will ever see the full movie, ever. I have seen my fare share of horrible movies, but none of those have made me stop watching... Poor Indy got raped. Indy 4 never existed!
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

I fell asleep 15 minutes into Indy when I saw it in theatres. I still have no idea what its about, nor do I want to know.

On another note, I'm gonna watch Let The Right One In come Saturday. Vampire movie. Looks like its gonna shit on twilight. Not that it would need to do that much to do so.

P.S- Let The Right One In is gonna be the best thing to come out of Sweden since Lordmunes fellatio skills.
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
MournfulWoods
This is my new home

Post by MournfulWoods »

Hey tell me how it was after you've seen it. Heard about it and I'm waiting for it's DVD release. By the way, Matt Reeves (Cloverfield) will direct a Remake of that movie. I don't know what's the idea recently with remakes from movies that are only a year old. same thing with Quarantine
Loeviz
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Loeviz »

Ok so Steven Spielberg is going to do a remake of "Oldboy" starring Will Smith.
Why take a movie thats pure awesomeness and even think it will turn out better?
This is going to turn to shit, can feel it in my gut.
Bet they are going to change the ending and tone down the violence so children can see it.

MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

cloverfield
[spoiler]the monster is actually a baby of whatever the hell it is. if you watch the footage about the movie in the special features they explain a lot about how they made the movie as well as the monster. I would take a look at them because it's really cool how they made the movie[/spoiler]