Movies of '08

Way off-topic, and allowed! General discussions on anything and everything.

Moderator: EG Members

Damien
Dirty Sennin

Movies of '08

Post by Damien »

So what are you looking forward to seeing? Or movies you have seen so far.

I seen aliens vs predator 2 and it was MUCH better than the first one.

NARUTO + BLEACH doesn't even come close to the BEST MANGA= ONE PIECE
MrFelony
E-Thug

Re: Movies of ""08""

Post by MrFelony »

I dont know what I'm going to see (besides dark knight), but i'd like to see a movie with your avatar and sig in it. finally some girls i approve, and very highly i might add.
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

What about "I am Legend"?
I don't know if in the states you already watched it, but down here on south america its still a preview, and I normally like post-apocalyptic movies....is it good?
One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings.
~Diogenes of Sinope
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

you can find some discussion on it in the 2007 thread. it is worth seeing imo
Shaka Zulu
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by Shaka Zulu »

Its VERY good IMO except the anti-climax ending/last third half of the movie. Pretty impressive of Big Willy to carry the movie on his own.
Until the lion learns to speak, the tales of the hunt will be(weak) told by the hunter
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

I disagree completely, if you watch The Omega Man you might see why I find it so problematic. It's just slow and the story is nothing to brag about. At most I would give it a 7/10.

[spoiler]First of all, in the The Omega Man the virus didn't turn them into full-fledged monsters, they were still somewhat normal and wanted to purge the world of the old humans because they considered their old ways to be the cause of all that was wrong with the world, so they chased and set traps on the protagonist, who was still a human thanks to the fact that he was administered an experimental vaccine just before the virus spread. In contrast, I Am Legend offers no explanation as to why Will Smith wasn't affected by the virus (unless I missed something), and the virus turns humans into monsters. The only problem with them being monsters who can't think of anything outside their basic needs is that they have no reason to chase down Will Smith. The writers seem to have notice this and came up with a last minute fix: One of the monsters would suddenly have a burst of intelligence and wanted revenge against Will for taking someone he cared for. The big change this brings is that the monsters are no longer stupid, one of them is smart enough to go on a crusade to get revenge and is able to set up the same trap Will used on them, yet at no point in the movie does any other monster even exhibit any kind of intelligence. They're able to set up a trap, but they're not smart enough to push a car into the river instead of head-butting it? They're smart enough to get organized and wage war but not smart enough to use tools? The whole reason behind that monster's crusade was his loved one, but even though she wasn't dead, he doesn't care to go after her at all when they make it in the lab room. And why the hell was Will chasing deers? Half the movie is just him going about his day doing nothing in particular and man, was it slow!

Ah, but they had to close it with the same Hollywood ending, some stupid coincidence that makes him believe in a higher power. I wouldn't mind that much if I hadn't seen it so often.[/spoiler]

The movie has a good main plot, but it's very anticlimactic.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

War machine, you do know that Omega Man and I am legend are based off the book "I am Legend?"

I do agree with you on Omega Man, better movie, and relates a bit closer to the book.

However if you want to know what the title "I am Legend" means, then read the book, its has a really cool meaning behind it.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

halfnhalf wrote:War machine, you do know that Omega Man and I am legend are based off the book "I am Legend?"

I do agree with you on Omega Man, better movie, and relates a bit closer to the book.

However if you want to know what the title "I am Legend" means, then read the book, its has a really cool meaning behind it.
Yeah, I am aware of the book, it's just that the monsters in the new movie really pissed me off.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

halfnhalf wrote:War machine, you do know that Omega Man and I am legend are based off the book "I am Legend?"

What does it mean?

Put it as a spoiler.....Please....

I saw the movie, so I probably won't get to reading the book.
Let's put a smile on that face...............
MournfulWoods
This is my new home

Re: Movies of '08

Post by MournfulWoods »

The book is fantastic, The new movie is good although the last quarter is somewhat.... cliché. But the mood of the first part is terrific. I'll probably buy 'cause I love post apocalyptic fiction.
http://backalleybazaar.wordpress.com
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

I'm looking forward to the new Tim Burton. Including but not limited to, The Spooks Apprentice and Alice and Wonderland(animated I believe)
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

spoiler to "I am Legend" book.

[spoiler]ok so the thing you have to understand is that in the book the infected have vampire symptons, but there are also those that "still living." Which means that they can keep the virus at bay, walk out during the day, but when they sleep they just stand there (just like in the movie, where they are all in the room, just shaking there.) So basically Neville is now just killing the infected and the "still living." So now everything thinks of Neville as the human that kills everyone, so becomes their monster, the human that is able to function in daylight. So now there is this still living Ruth who is suppose to spy on Neville and find out what kind of monter he is. She then informs Neville that her people are coming to get him. He prepares for the attack, but alas is injuried and gets captured. The vampires want to execute him to show that the monster will no longer torment them, but Ruth gives Neville a pill so that he can commit suicide, as he dies he reflects on how the vampires call him a monster, a Human that preys on the vampires and still livings, just as how the legend of a vampire is that they prey on humans during their sleep. So because of the situation, Neville has become a legend to them, a mythical monster that hunts them during the day. And so the last words in the book are "I am Legend."

The movie never looked at in that sense, where human life ends, and a new specie beings. Also there was a dog in the book, but he wasnt his, it was a stray dog that he tried for awhile to get, but once he got it, it died like a week later.[/spoiler]

well there you go...

as for movies of '08, all i have to say is that May 2008 will dry my pockets, so far i count 5 movies i need to see that month.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

halfnhalf wrote:spoiler to "I am Legend" book.

[spoiler]ok so the thing you have to understand is that in the book the infected have vampire symptons, but there are also those that "still living." Which means that they can keep the virus at bay, walk out during the day, but when they sleep they just stand there (just like in the movie, where they are all in the room, just shaking there.) So basically Neville is now just killing the infected and the "still living." So now everything thinks of Neville as the human that kills everyone, so becomes their monster, the human that is able to function in daylight. So now there is this still living Ruth who is suppose to spy on Neville and find out what kind of monter he is. She then informs Neville that her people are coming to get him. He prepares for the attack, but alas is injuried and gets captured. The vampires want to execute him to show that the monster will no longer torment them, but Ruth gives Neville a pill so that he can commit suicide, as he dies he reflects on how the vampires call him a monster, a Human that preys on the vampires and still livings, just as how the legend of a vampire is that they prey on humans during their sleep. So because of the situation, Neville has become a legend to them, a mythical monster that hunts them during the day. And so the last words in the book are "I am Legend."

The movie never looked at in that sense, where human life ends, and a new specie beings. Also there was a dog in the book, but he wasnt his, it was a stray dog that he tried for awhile to get, but once he got it, it died like a week later.[/spoiler]

well there you go...

as for movies of '08, all i have to say is that May 2008 will dry my pockets, so far i count 5 movies i need to see that month.
[spoiler]Right, right! And the principal metaphor behind the story was completely changed in the new movie, now he's legend because he's one super dude that not only had the cure and retrieved it, but actually made it himself and died in battle trying to protect it.

From your synopsis I see that the story is also very different from The Omega Man, and I see your point in that I didn't compare it to the original story, but I haven't read it. Although I did know about the infected people seeing Neville as a monster and that being an integral part in both the original work and The Omega Man, which is why the new movie pissed me off more with their ravenous monkeys somehow being able to hold a grudge against Neville.[/spoiler]

The only movies I'm thinking of seeing are The Orphanage, Rambo, and The Bucket List if it's entertaining enough.
Shaka Zulu
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by Shaka Zulu »

Planet of Terror, more entertaining then the bit pointlessly slowish and dialogue infested Death Proof, but man was it bizzare shit still. Tried bit too hard hehe. But atleast had few LOL worthy moment compared to the other one.

I really only wanted to to see the trailers, I thought they were supposed to several? I only saw the Mexican, the highlight of the whole fucking "movie" :D

Also saw Zodiac, has its issues with the pacing (it was quite long, but the issue was having so much slow moments until the big turns came little by litle), and bit unattached depicting of the characters and story, but in overall I enjoyed it for sure. Quite thrilling just for the chilling realistic storytelling of several decades, not just thrilling because of the usual cheap twists and high paced scenes.

Whats absolutely brilliant of it though is the cinematrogophy, absolute masterpiece in large parts. Too many stunning scenes and shots to mention.
Until the lion learns to speak, the tales of the hunt will be(weak) told by the hunter
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Oh, you mean the fake trailers in Grindhouse? Man, "Thanksgiving" that's one movie that should never be made. I definitely don't want to see all that, and I'm into some pretty twisted shit, if that tells you anything. :P
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

I would love to see a thanksgiving movie. I happened to love grindhouse in its entirety.

I hear they're thinking of making an actual movie "Werewolf Woman of the S.S"
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Yeah, Grindhouse was badass, but Thanksgiving seemed like a bit much. :P
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Anyone seen that Cloverfield flick yet?

If so does the audience get to see the monster?
Let's put a smile on that face...............
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

The hype got to me, and it was good.

Cloverfield is nothing like other monster movies, this monster takes the cake as being the king of all monsters.

Honestly i dont want to say much more because you owe yourself to be ignorant about the movie and just experience it as is. Of course this style of movie takes away from all other movies, since it is being shot with a first person perpective, there is no large picture, just the people on the screen at the current moment.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

I'm sure they'll show the monster in Cloverfield, at some point, even if it's near the end. I've recently started watching the show Lost, and I didn't know I was going to get into it so much. J.J. Abrams seems to have a thing about giant monsters that aren't on screen, but I'm sure we'll see the one in Cloverfield. They even show the one in Lost for a moment. I have a theory on what I think it is, based on what I've seen and read. At the very least I know what it's not, heh. Anyway, I'm really looking forward to Cloverfield, and I don't want to know what it is until I see it. I read that Abrams was inspired by a Japanese monster for this film, which should be cool, as long as it's not Godzilla. :P

If you give spoilers on this movie, please put them in spoiler tags, thanks.
TheDrizzit
Beware my tactical spam

Post by TheDrizzit »

Cloverfield was FANTASTIC!!!

Such a great way of filming too! Must of been hard as hell to film.

You get to see the monster...a lot more than you think...but it's a gay monster. And not queer gay, but retarted gay. Looks like they were influenced by Gears of War.

I was hopping around outside the theatre with wishes that JJ Abrams would have paired up with TOHO and then Godzilla (The badass Hesei series Japanese Godzilla anyway...not the gay American one or the gayer Final Wars one) could come up and fight the little bastard and rip him apart.

I was dissappointed in the monsters design...but the movie just completely makes up for it.

GO SEE IT STARNUM!!!!!!!!!!!! and you others too....I guess...

Just don't give up because of the camera...I will call you wuss and you shall be my wuss.
That's right!! Another pointless post by me bitches!!! HA!
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

Just saw Cloverfield myself. It was fan-fucking-tastic. I for one thought the monster was fine, I was going to get up and leave it this was a restart of the Godzilla franchise, or any other monster movie series. Part of the excitement of it is that [spoiler]no one knows seems to know what it is or where it came from[/spoiler]. One of the best parts about it is that it is impossible to describe this thing to people who haven't seen it. The Gears of War thing Drizzt said I guess is somewhat true, but it's so much mroe than that. Hell, even with as much as you get to see of it by the end, you still aren't 100% sure what it looks like because most of the angles you get of it are usually only one aspect of it like a foot, a tail, the face. There is an areal shot of it, but buildings and debris are covering parts of it.
ImageImage
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

[spoiler]In one of the flash back sequences on the tape, when you look in the background you see the monster dive into the water i guess.[/spoiler]

I liked this filming style better in blair witch.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

I'll prolly wait and watch it on DVD, but I'm really excited to hear that you guys liked it so much. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing it.
TheDrizzit
Beware my tactical spam

Post by TheDrizzit »

**smack**
That's right!! Another pointless post by me bitches!!! HA!