Tokikake (The girl who leapt through time)

The latest and greatest of Japanese Animation. Found something new, or perhaps old and arcane... if it has to do with anime, it goes right here.

Moderator: EG Members

Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Tokikake (The girl who leapt through time)

Post by Aetherfukz »

I rewatched the movie a few days ago and thought I'll make up a thread for it because frankly it deserves one. Although Toki o Kakeru Shōjo (Tokikake for short, The girl who leapt through time is the official translation) isn't available on sites like amazon.com (although strangly there was a german dvd release before an american) it's not like there aren't other ways of getting to watch anime besides buying. :D
Edit: According to the wikipedia entry there will be a region 1 release in short time.

Anyway, I really like the particular take on time travelling that Tokikake took. Not a scientific, or change-the-world one, but an utterly personal one. While Makoto leaps back in time to make her own wrongs right, after some time she witnesses that maybe because only good things seem to happen to her recently, the more bad things happen to her acquaintances and friends.

The central motto which comes up throughout the movie, "Time waits for no one" is all too true. As we see for Makoto, and as probably everyone has at one time or another witnessed in real life, if we don't take our chances to do something right, there probably will never be a second chance to do it. In the end of the movie, Makoto doesn't get what she wished for, but at least a little of what she hoped for.

I must really say that I haven't seen such an enthralling movie in a long time (probably Big Fish was the last one that really made me feel the magic that movies can cast upon us again), with its adorable while quite quirky cast of characters, really nice plot with several twists at the end and it's overwhelming life message of "seize the day".

If anyone in these forums has seen it too, I'd be eager to discuss it more thoroughly.

~Cheers!
Tempz
Found the Edit button

Re: Tokikake (The girl who leapt through time)

Post by Tempz »

You pretty much summed it up. I watched it a few days ago and I really enjoyed it. [spoiler]I was kind of annoyed that she wasted all her leaps on stupid things even after she found out that she had a limited number.[/spoiler]
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Yeah. But that pretty much comes from her being a teenager. At least she used her very last leap for something worthwhile.
paulino
imanewbie

Post by paulino »

so u have any torrents for this movie?
i searched tokyotosho and mininova, cant find it :(
and u guys r making me wanna watch it bad
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

According to torrentz.com there are 3 torrents available: http://www.torrentz.com/search?x=0&y=0& ... rough+time and as I said I bought mine from amazon.de as there is a german version available of it. Amazon.com still only has the region 3 dvd (meaning the chinese version, japanese language with english subtitles, but only playable on players who support regions other than 2).
paulino
imanewbie

Post by paulino »

hey many thx, i think it was my bad since i only typed tokikake instead