DBZ movie

The latest and greatest of Japanese Animation. Found something new, or perhaps old and arcane... if it has to do with anime, it goes right here.

Moderator: EG Members

The Herald
Tastes like burning!

DBZ movie

Post by The Herald »

I know I was all :wtf: when my friend told me this, but here ya go, the link for the movie:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1098327/

It will be interesting to see Spike from Buffy as Piccolo, but that whiny shit from War of the Worlds as Goku? Was someone smoking weed when they cast this thing? They better fill the movie with heavy metal or it won't do DBZ any justice (not that DBZ needs any justice, but I've always liked it).

Damn those idiots who incited the writers strike that brought on this calamity! :OWTH:
Audentis Fortuna Juvet - Virgil
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Re: DBZ movie

Post by Aetherfukz »

Dude, DBZ didn't have any Heavy Metal, that was just the Funimation soundtrack :D
The original Soundtrack was a rather good, orchestrated one.

That aside, I could probably care less about a DBZ movies, especially when it is produces in and by Hollywood. And from what I read in that IMDB spoiler, that won't be DBZ at all, it will be the old Dragonball, if and when Goku fights Piccolo.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

comedian Stephen Chow (Shaolin Soccer; Kung Fu Hustle) will produce the live-action movie "Dragonball."
Oh, now I get it...

It doesn't make me feel better.
Aetherfukz wrote:Dude, DBZ didn't have any Heavy Metal, that was just the Funimation soundtrack :D
The original Soundtrack was a rather good, orchestrated one.
Yeah, I really hated them for that. The mexican-spanish version of the song (I say mexican-spanish because there's also a Spain-spanish version) was the same song from the original version, only with Spanish lyrics, and I really liked it. I still remember the lyrics:

[youtube]Fk-snbyP-5I[/youtube]

Here's the original version so you can see how close the other version was:

[youtube]zkYgNLdfk-A[/youtube]

PS: I just stumbled upon a clip of Hironobu Kageyama singing the opening song at what seems to be some kind of anime-expo in Mexico:
[youtube]czrpyyOqlyk[/youtube]
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Yeah. Cha-la-head-Cha-la was a great song. Just so energetic.
The german opening was pretty much the same as the japanese with translated lyrics. But I have absolutely no idea why they subtitled a german song with german lyrics...
[youtube]epjnjfcJFio[/youtube]

That song alone makes me feel all warm and fuzzy when remembering my teenage times when I thought Dragonball Z was the end-all of anime :D

But that next song just makes me want to puke. What kind of monstrosity without soul is that? Souds like the bastard child of a Rapper and a Rocker...
[youtube]_7U3PFo3nZE[/youtube]

They should have chosen something like this for the american opening:
[youtube]BdHh6R24wbk[/youtube]

8)
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Yeah! My cousin kinda liked Dragon Ball Z and I sort of encouraged him to watch them, but with those intros and crappy voice acting he simply didn't caught on to it. The people that brought it to the US wanted to market DBZ as some heavy action cartoon, which was the type of cartoon making the big bucks back then (like Spiderman or other superhero cartoons). DBZ does have a lot of action, but it simply wasn't about that at all, and now kids like my cousin have to suffer not having the chance to watch this great anime.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

-At what part of the anime did characters acquire the ability to fly? Thus making nimbus obsolete......

-Freezer saga Vegeta was still the best character in all of anime. Became too much of a caricature of himself towards the end of the series though IMO.
Let's put a smile on that face...............
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

The Prince wrote:-At what part of the anime did characters acquire the ability to fly? Thus making nimbus obsolete......
At the start of Dragon Ball Z when Goku fights Piccolo in the tournament, it's the first big fight he has after growing up. Him learning to fly was a pretty big deal because no one else knew how to do it and he figured it out by himself at the last moments of the fight, then everyone else learned it from him.
The Prince wrote:-Freezer saga Vegeta was still the best character in all of anime. Became too much of a caricature of himself towards the end of the series though IMO.
Vegeta? Yeah, a little bit, but the Cell saga was pretty cool as well. I really liked everything up to GT.
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

War Machine wrote:At the start of Dragon Ball Z when Goku fights Piccolo in the tournament, it's the first big fight he has after growing up. Him learning to fly was a pretty big deal because no one else knew how to do it and he figured it out by himself at the last moments of the fight, then everyone else learned it from him.
While there may be a difference between levitating and "real" flying, Krillin knew before Goku how to fly, at least levitate. That was in Dragonball back then when they were kids still. Everyone was astonished when Krillin suddenly levitated when he would have gone ring out in the Budoukei. And the Teen/Adult Goku versus Piccolo fight in the tournament, that was normal Dragonball too, not DB Z.
Although I dunno, maybe the american distributors mangled those 2 series together, you never know with Funimation :?
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

I don't know, with the american slightly tecno sound track, and I've heard the japanese one, it made DBZ more sci fi than fantasy. I like how DB is fantasy. But the GT flop is all the fault of the Japanese. Either way, the original funimation voice acting isn't the best dubbing, which prompted Ocean up here in Vancouver to do the dubbing from the Trunks saga on. Now that was good dubbing. Though, they didn't release any of their stuff on DVD, which I can tell you pissed off Kirby Morrow especially. He's more familiar as Miroku from Inuyasha, but for the final few sagas of DBZ he was Goku.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

I have to say, when the second voice-acting group took over DBZ, for a while they SUCKED! Then some of them got really good, like the guy who does Goku's voice. God, Krillen sounds so shitty when the new VA'ing crew came on. I'm also not all that fond of the deep voiced Vegeta. The original voice actor for Vegeta is one of my all-time favorite VA's. His voice is so cool sounding, he also played Zechs in Gundam Wing. The Ocean Group is really cool, but sometimes I get tired of hearing them IN EVERYTHING. I mean, I just get tired of hearing the same people, in every anime. Like the guy who does Spike's voice in Cowboy Bebop, that dude is in nearly every anime that's been dubbed in America, I mean damn.
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Starnum wrote:I have to say, when the second voice-acting group took over DBZ, for a while they SUCKED! Then some of them got really good, like the guy who does Goku's voice. God, Krillen sounds so shitty when the new VA'ing crew came on. I'm also not all that fond of the deep voiced Vegeta. The original voice actor for Vegeta is one of my all-time favorite VA's. His voice is so cool sounding, he also played Zechs in Gundam Wing. The Ocean Group is really cool, but sometimes I get tired of hearing them IN EVERYTHING. I mean, I just get tired of hearing the same people, in every anime. Like the guy who does Spike's voice in Cowboy Bebop, that dude is in nearly every anime that's been dubbed in America, I mean damn.
I never liked the guy/gal who did Gohan's/ Little Goku's voice. Sounded like some women in her 40's who smoked a bunch of cigs in their day.
Let's put a smile on that face...............
Amazing Amanda
notanewb

Post by Amazing Amanda »

When I was in 6th grade and caught wind of this rumor I was so excited! Now its actually happening and after seeing the cast... I'm disappointed. I'm going to see it any way. But for some reason I was expecting something better. Honestly its DRAGON BALL Z! They very show that started my journey into the wonderful world of anime/manga. The live action movie should be utterly AMAZING and have a cast that does it justice.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

The Prince wrote:I never liked the guy/gal who did Gohan's/ Little Goku's voice. Sounded like some women in her 40's who smoked a bunch of cigs in their day.
Well hey, just remember, in Japan Goku and Gohan ARE voiced by women (and boy can you tell). :P

Anyway, I still can't believe that this could be real, especially with that cast. O.o
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Well so are they in germany (can't talk about the Funimation dub). But surprise, almost all children in animated shows are voiced by women around the world.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Yeah I know, but Goku's voice is ridiculously high in Japan, that's all I'm sayin. :P
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

Man is it. I thought it was just because DBGT sucked that his voice sounded like that, but nope, it just sucked. Anyways, every version of Trunks that I've heard has sounded good, and most Vegeta, except for the DBGT in English. But, anyways, DBGT was shit. I just saw the trailer for Speed Racer, and if the DBZ movie is only half as high as that movie's going to be it'll do well.