Gundam 00

The latest and greatest of Japanese Animation. Found something new, or perhaps old and arcane... if it has to do with anime, it goes right here.

Moderator: EG Members

Starnum
Elven King

Gundam 00

Post by Starnum »

So, how about the Gundam fans out there? Anyone checked out this new anime yet? Personally it's looking like the best AU Gundam series I've seen in a long time. To me it's got the flare and style of Gundam Wing, but even better. I mean the animations are new, so that helps, but the new Gundams are pretty cool. I've seen the first six episodes, and it seems to have a better plot than Gundam Wing did. I mean, it's not just a bunch of young guys blowing shit up, if you know what I mean. It has that same kind of political feel, but in a way that you can relate to better, or so I think. There's also similarities to the classic UC Gundam stuff, which is always good. I think the series is really promising, so I thought I'd bring it up, see if anyone else is watching it. I hear they'll be taking a break from the series for a while, at some point for some reason, and then coming back to finish it. They said they might do more after that depending on how well it's recieved. Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing more.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Re: Gundam 00

Post by Eldo »

I saw the first episode and thought it was horrible. It's the same and tired formula that's been done to death.

'Yeah, we'll just a technologically advanced country/faction/planet who has the power to take over your goddamned world, but you know what, we just want to stop you guys fighting. So, I'm going to force peace upon you with war if you don't listen. Hey, no worries, we'll the good guys. Who wants cake?'

I might check more episodes out to give it a final chance to change my opinion though. My assessment of anime is strict; so it wouldn't surprise me that I hate it.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

I watch it because I'm a complete gundam fan-boi and I must watch regardless of how horrible it is. (Gundam G anyone?) ;)
Grahf
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Grahf »

I watched G Gundam and liked it. Yeah yeah I know.

But I've only been able to stomach a couple of episodes of this retread.
"Context is for Kings"
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Hey, G Gundam was cool, and so is this show. It's not just the same thing all over again, even though it seems like it at first. I think it's interesting how no one seems to like Celestial Being, and think they're stupid for trying to stop war with violence. That much right there is different than the normal formula. It's good stuff, give it a chance.
Grahf
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Grahf »

but in the end. It will turn into a revelation by the main character that fighting is wrong blah blah. Also its not new, Gundam seed destiny was fighting to stop war as well. Plus the main character is from the Heero (from wing) family tree essentially.
"Context is for Kings"
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Yeah, but I didn't like Gundam Seed as much as this. It seemed TOO flashy to me. *shrugs*
Grahf
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Grahf »

Starnum wrote:Yeah, but I didn't like Gundam Seed as much as this. It seemed TOO flashy to me. *shrugs*

all well and good. But this series really doesn't present anything new plotwise(up to the episode I watched). The technology of course is the difference. I always find that to be extremely interesting. Other than that....................
"Context is for Kings"
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Yeah, and I really like the Exia.

[spoiler]Codename: Exia of the 8 Blades[/spoiler]

Besides, I didn't watch much of Gundam Seed, so at least the plot concepts seem a lot fresher to me. :P
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

You know what would be cool? If they had a screw up pilot as the main character. That way we could watch him grow into an inevitable legendary pilot. He's going to pilot a goddamn war machine anyway, so piloting skills at the beginning isn't really a necessity.

Anyway, the mech designs are cool, but the plot is a tired and bland. Now I'm just waiting for the ace pilot of the Earth forces to don a mask and fly a red mech. Might get episode 2 later on and wag my finger at it.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Starnum wrote:Yeah, but I didn't like Gundam Seed as much as this. It seemed TOO flashy to me. *shrugs*
The movie sucked.

What's with not killing your enemy?

Also Macross Zero sucked as well!

What's with that mystical BS?
Let's put a smile on that face...............
Grahf
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Grahf »

where did the macross zero come from???
"Context is for Kings"
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Grahf wrote:where did the macross zero come from???
Gundam 00 = Macross Zero.....maybe was a stretch.

Macross Zero doesn't warrant its own thread anyway IMHO.
Dominion
This is my new home

Post by Dominion »

whoa you didnt like macross zero? maybe the story wasnt there but the visuals were spot on... plus i liked the inclusion of Roy Focker into the storyline

in any case... i thought having a character like heero yui in this new gundam would be its saving grace but i havent been compelled to watch past episode 3... i mean half on the pilots look like women... what ever happened to manly men? gundam is catering to the tweens far too much for me to bother watching it anymore... the last best gundam i watched was Turn-A... everything from SEED to now has been garbage that ill NEVER pay to watch

id say the good thing about 00 is the believability of its story... for one its in 2307 where presumably countries will band together to form alliances like the European alliance... also the advent of solar power is another factor in this series that makes the story seem somewhat plausible...

however i can see what will end up happening... Celestial Being is acting as the "hate breeder" for the entire planet, forcing all the various factions on the Earth to join forces against them.. they probably think this will be the way to end the tensions on Earth by uniting humanity through war against a common foe though there will be the obvious "wrinkle" in this plan which i have yet to (care about) seeing

FYI ALL the Gundam series were about fighting to stop war...

- SEED was about genealogy (or simply put race; COORDINATORS vs NATURALS) and how people use that topic to spread hate and start wars
- Wing was about using war to stop war and how ironic it was to do so; it also commented on the issue of pacifism and how it does NOTHING to change peoples' minds as well as Milyardo's sentiment that creating a harsh enough tragedy would result in a war to end all wars on Earth
- X was about how the military always seems to want to continue wars even after the public has lost the will to fight (prolly)
- Turn-A was about the legacy of war and how some people just don't want to forget
- Z-Gundam was like a commentary about post WWII Germany (Colonies) and how they were treated poorly by the powers that be (TITANS)...actually this can be said about all UC Gundam series involving the Colonies (Axis) and the Federation (Allies)
"Happiness is an inside job"
Grahf
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Grahf »

I too liked Macross Zero for the Roy Folker involvement.

The pilots looking like women yeah thats been a trend for awhile and its sad. I've also haven't been able to watch Turn A beyond the intro. :lol: But I guess one day I'll sit down and watch it.
"Context is for Kings"
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

The only Gundam I could stand for more than five episodes was Turn-A.

Maybe I'm gay or something.
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

LordMune wrote:Maybe I'm gay or something.
Oh, there's no doubt about that. :P

Nah, but the UC Gundam is awesome, for sure.
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Starnum wrote:
LordMune wrote:Maybe I'm gay or something.
Oh, there's no doubt about that. :P

Nah, but the UC Gundam is awesome, for sure.
:kekeke:
Laik
This is my new home

Post by Laik »

LordMune wrote:The only Gundam I could stand for more than five episodes was Turn-A.

Maybe I'm gay or something.
Nothing wrong with that. Turn A was a well crafted series and went pass the normal standards of Gundam by open accepting that the series didn't always have to be war or mecha driven. By using the dynamic characters and bringing their interaction to the forefront, Turn A was a rare achievement in a line of series that was getting kind of tired to tell the truth. While SEED did revive Gundam, it didn't raise the bar like Turn A did.

I'm a big fan of Gundam but I haven't messed with 00 yet thanks to Destiny kind of messing me up despite my expectations. How is the series so far?
EG needs some help. Please feel free to contact us if you want to become a part of the staff.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

I'm enjoying it, but I've only seen the first 6 episodes. I should go check to see if more are out now. I never watched Gundam Seed or Destiny. *shrugs*

**Update**

Wow, things are really starting to heat up. This series, despite it being a mecha anime and all, feels so real to me. It just seems so realistic. Maybe it's because it has roots in the original UC Gundam series. Ontop of that, it really knows how to build the drama, from the music to what's happening on the screen, it can get intense. I just watched the incident in episodes 9 and 10, and personally, I was really impressed with what happened. Like I said before, it's not just about the unstoppable Gundams and their perfect boy pilots just blowing shit up. It's much more real than that. Also, from what I know and can tell, it's a totally different approach to the whole "armed intervention" concept. In the eyes of many, Celestial Being are the bad guys.
Laik
This is my new home

Post by Laik »

Starnum wrote:I'm enjoying it, but I've only seen the first 6 episodes. I should go check to see if more are out now. I never watched Gundam Seed or Destiny. *shrugs*

**Update**

Wow, things are really starting to heat up. This series, despite it being a mecha anime and all, feels so real to me. It just seems so realistic. Maybe it's because it has roots in the original UC Gundam series. Ontop of that, it really knows how to build the drama, from the music to what's happening on the screen, it can get intense. I just watched the incident in episodes 9 and 10, and personally, I was really impressed with what happened. Like I said before, it's not just about the unstoppable Gundams and their perfect boy pilots just blowing shit up. It's much more real than that. Also, from what I know and can tell, it's a totally different approach to the whole "armed intervention" concept. In the eyes of many, Celestial Being are the bad guys.
I watched 18 the other day and it's on for real now.

The series hasn't even reached the halfway point yet but the Gundams have faced plenty of tough situations and that's cool with me. The politics, the interventions, the focus on characters on the fringes of the conflict, etc. 00 is better than I thought and I like it much better than SEED and Wing at this point. Setsuna and the other pilots are okay with me, I never really cared much for how characters look because the potential for hardcore is there no matter your design. Unlike the recent series before, I feel like some of the other characters who pilot 'grunt' suits can actually take down some Gundams and that already gives the series some points.

I really look forward to the next episodes.
EG needs some help. Please feel free to contact us if you want to become a part of the staff.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Yeah, I'm really impressed with this series.

Just watched episode 18...Oh it's definitely on now!

OMG, I freakin hate Trinity! I'll never forgive you for what you did Nena. That was just wrong, poor Louise.
Grahf
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Grahf »

prepare to die if you lead me astray. :smoken: :pwned:
"Context is for Kings"
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Come on now, would I do such a thing? *whistles innocently*
Alucardking
imanewbie

Post by Alucardking »

The Prince wrote:
The movie sucked.

What's with not killing your enemy?

Also Macross Zero sucked as well!

What's with that mystical BS?
Gundam seed does not have a movie at all.. those were special editions of gundam seed series and gundam seed destiny.. thts why it say gundam seed dpecial edtions movies 1-4 for both seasons.

they are making a movie to be released this year though.. since the last time they did