Conventions 2008

Way off-topic, and allowed! General discussions on anything and everything.

Moderator: EG Members

Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Re: Conventions 2008

Post by Buzkashi »

Yea.

You gotta go big or go home.
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
Fuji Nagase
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by Fuji Nagase »

or in my case i just stay home.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

You gotta go big just in general. If your costume isn't the best thing since sliced bread, pretend it is and everyone will believe you.
Audentis Fortuna Juvet - Virgil
Fuji Nagase

Post by Fuji Nagase »

no, i dont think that works if your costume really does suck. but having fun while in it..like truly just enjoying the con and everything, that makes anycostume look better.

my friend (http://www.charmedseed.net) had a regular concert yuna X-2 cosplay and it was good of course but everybody does that costume, so she decided to just go on stage and kareoke a song and just..have fun. and then it turns out she won some award for it all because the judges could tell she was truly just enjoying herself.

even when i see some really terribly made (we say in the most humorous of terms "ghetto cosplay") costume that was mostly bought from walmart or something..if the person is having a great time, the costume seems to look much better.
RanShi
imanewbie

Post by RanShi »

Ye we have some over here in Sweden, but it's just full of 14 year olds from what I've heard.

I'll check it out one day.
"And now Guts, by some alien logic, I own you."
Fuji Nagase

Post by Fuji Nagase »

all cons are different and i cant say ive been to sweeden but i think if you can go you should at least look around. sometimes cons have supprisingly good panels and AMVS and all that.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

Sometimes the best panels aren't even the ones that have anything to do with anime. At anime evolution my favorite ones were a French sword fighting class, and a panel about GI JOE. In my defence, it was really funny.
Fuji Nagase

Post by Fuji Nagase »

best panel ever?

"how to talk to girls" i was told by the guy who does it that it was a total fluke but now its a famous panel. quite funny! its made for nerd at conventions. my friends made my other friend go to it one year. if you see it at a con i think its funny to watch!
Vicissitude
Professional Bastard

Post by Vicissitude »

I want to do a fanfiction panel called "Fanfiction: It's Not All Gay Fucking!!!"

Mostly focusing on character development and charting out the plot, I'll also touch on proper grammar and actual research for your project. Not just using Babelfish to get a translation, actually learning something of the language seems to be something of a problem. I will put on my angry teacher persona (pulled from the History and Moral Philosophy teachers from Heinlein's Starship Troopers) and alternately inspire and berate my audience. I'll need an overhead projector with transparencies of both good and bad examples of writing and a Thesaurus.

Anyone writing erotica will be singled out and beaten with the Thesaurus, on stage and until unconscious. Honestly, I once read something that had (and I counted, because I have nothing better to do) 46 synonyms and euphemisms for female genetalia. Yes, I'm sure you want to write about your two favorite characters going to town in bed so you can masturbate over it later, or have your friends do so, but at least try to do a good job of it. Shit, Penthouse Letters did a far better job of it. Or maybe not. Maybe I'm just romanticizing my earliest romances.
Fuji Nagase

Post by Fuji Nagase »

hmm, i wish i had time to go to panels...i love those fun ones. one day i will make time!!
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

I actually did a fanfic panel once. It was completely useless because no one came to it. And you know why no one came to it? Because everyone expected it to be about gay erotica. My fanfics were always novels that just incorporated anime worlds so that anime nerds would read them. I usually do normal novels. Fanfics are a really easy way to get your name out there. It's also cool to say you won a ton of categories for one stupid fanfic. I mean, maybe it was a little dorky of me to do a fanfic about Legend of Zelda where it was based about 500 years after Windwaker, but at least it wasn't like this one chick who only did Digimon. That's a little messed up. All I had to do was change all of the Zelda references and it's my totally original story now. Well, it was to begin with, with all of the events and all that, but everything is mine once I change the names and tweak the histories a little bit.
marpo
imanewbie

Post by marpo »

I am going to sdcc and ax in 08. I am going to cosplay Sanji from one piece at AX most likely, I haven't decided between that or young guts yet.
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

i hope i can go to either SDCC or AX08 but only time will tell about my schedule.
The Vogfather
imanewbie

Post by The Vogfather »

anime central
http://www.acen.org
"strangers are people you just haven't killed yet."
Fuji Nagase

Post by Fuji Nagase »

halfnhalf and marpo! you guys better let me know if you go to SDCC or AX 08 cause im going to both (mostly likely). if marpo goes as guts ill be in caska and i got some photographers there and you are welcome to join in the photoshoots. if i dont see you im sure you can find me by my costumes. and well SDCC is HUGE so i dunno..
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

SDCC? San Diego ComiCon?

If so I go every year. I'll be the guy with the swarm of paparazii around him.
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
Fuji Nagase

Post by Fuji Nagase »

ill keep my eyes out for you then. should i just follow the storm of fan girls too?
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

you could just look for mune in the giant goat costume following buzz around with the fangirls
Vicissitude
Professional Bastard

Post by Vicissitude »

Buzkashi wrote:SDCC? San Diego ComiCon?

If so I go every year. I'll be the guy with the swarm of paparazii around him.
And why is that? I'm not too big in the comic scene.

And anyone going to Katsucon in DC? 2 weeks and counting. I'll be chilling down in Artist's Alley with Nick and Marty. Well, that's if the weather stays clear. One snowflake falls and ConEd screws me by making us do storm scans.
Fuji Nagase

Post by Fuji Nagase »

katsucon i hear is pretty good, have fun! good luck with the weather!
lon3vvolf
n00b Smasher

Post by lon3vvolf »

Vicissitude wrote: And anyone going to Katsucon in DC? 2 weeks and counting. I'll be chilling down in Artist's Alley with Nick and Marty. Well, that's if the weather stays clear. One snowflake falls and ConEd screws me by making us do storm scans.
FUCK! I just got back! I wish I checked this thread before I went. Went at the last minute. You might have seen me... I'll post up pics in a day or two when I have time. I cosplayed... as "I'm not Ken." If you get it, then you saw me. :wink:
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

This might seem a little out of the blue, but are you this guy?
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

No, I'm pretty sure that's not him. At least if I'm remembering what he looked like in those spar videos of his correctly.
lon3vvolf
n00b Smasher

Post by lon3vvolf »

Ok, heres just 1 pic. I gotta work on my taxes and such today. Maybe more tonight.
I was afraid of bleaching the uniform the day before the show. Plus I don't know if the red will fade or turn orange like I hope it will.

Oh yeah, and if that was me, I'd punch myself in the face everyday.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

I completely forgot how you really look. The thing is, that picture was posted on joystiq.com, and when you said "not ken" I imagined it'd be a crappy costume, so I thought it was you. But yours looks a lot better than that guy's.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel