Berserk chapter: 290

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

Eldo
Of The Abyss

Berserk chapter: 290

Post by Eldo »

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
absofflab
imanewbie

Re: Berserk chapter: 290

Post by absofflab »

First: Thanks for the scanlation guys! Looks great! I'm curious though: how long have you guys been studying Japanese to get such a good grasp on the language? It occurs to me that the level of language in Berserk is at least a few registers higher than in a lot of other mangas, and it's interesting that you can turn around a good finished product so quickly.

Second: I take back my earlier non-desire to see Magnifico dead. Now....yeah - I no longer have any sympathy for the guy. However, I do stand by my earlier assertion that he won't be able to even betray them properly. Jesus, what an idiot! And I'm having a really hard time trying to figure out the nature of the relationship between Roderick and Magnifico. At first it seemed like they were friends because they were both more or less spoiled, useless dandies - Roderick seems anything but at this point. Fantastic naval strategist, insightful, and keeping himself and his abilities very well-guarded. He's officially in my books as a dangerous man right now. So what in the hell is he doing with Magnifico? While I'd like to see the story progress, I'm really curious right now. Sinister agenda? Childhood bond?
Stupidity amuses?

Third: I'm seriously hoping Guts' Beast doesn't have any powers of prophecy. Please, please, please don't let this bunch go the way of the original Band of the Hawk!

Nuh. Who am I kidding; they'll probably die so horribly the Eclipse will seem like a picnic. Sigh...
stonecold
imanewbie

Post by stonecold »

Good job as always :)

Now for another long break, 1.5mths, still no Elf island in sight....
citanuzuki666
notanewb

Post by citanuzuki666 »

Thanks for the release guys. Its always quality work.
dialdfordesi
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by dialdfordesi »

Thanks for a very quick release, EG!

Well, here I thought Magnifico would turn out to be a better person, but he's still attached to his petty attraction to power and riches. And that scheming wolf, God damn, that's a big premonition over Guts' head now.
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
Arcandus
notanewb

Post by Arcandus »

Thanks EG for the scanlation.

This chapter was really nice, spceially the beggining, the Gutts nightmare, really nice.
BaNaN
imanewbie

Post by BaNaN »

Thx again EG for a lovely chapter
Facade19
Mastered PM

Post by Facade19 »

Thx alot EG!!!
greydeath
imanewbie

Post by greydeath »

Well, considering the past life expectancy of anyone around Guts, it does stand to reason that some of them may very well die. Schierke is the first female not to have someone try and rape her thus far, lets hope that track record stands. If I'm not mistaken that the wolf is actually an effect the brand is having on Guts. It represents the demonic changes to him. When he totally looses his humanity he will be reborn as something like a dark apostle. Factor in the berserker's armor, the Dragon Slayer, and his already formidable physical power, you'll have something that will make Zodd look like Caska on her period. All that is between that is the love and comradeship of his party. I really don't see them dying until the very end. Unless he ends up being the 'hawk of light' or something or Canine of Hope? *shrugs*
"For instance, how am I going to stop some big mean mother hubbard from tearing me a structurally surpurfulous new behind? The answer... Use a gun. If that don't work. Use more gun." - The Engineer - Team Fortress 2
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Strangely I cannot post on the Blog Comments anymore... no error message but the comments just won't show up..?
So here it goes:

Thanks alot for another fine release! The first pages with guts inner demon are surely a heavy read... I hope that day the demon talks about will never come.

But anyway I got a question: When Farnese's Brother opens the barrel with apples and Puck in it, what Charakter is Puck impersonating there? It reminds me of some Anime series I saw as a child but I cannot put my finger on it what it was. Anybody know?
Turd Ferguson
notanewb

Post by Turd Ferguson »

Aetherfukz wrote:But anyway I got a question: When Farnese's Brother opens the barrel with apples and Puck in it, what Charakter is Puck impersonating there? It reminds me of some Anime series I saw as a child but I cannot put my finger on it what it was. Anybody know?
My guess was it was Jim Hawkins from Treasure Island. He hides in an apple barrel on a ship and overhears a plot too. Is there an anime or mange versoin of Treasure Island?
My stream of conciousness flows into a river of blood.
Omnideus
imanewbie

Post by Omnideus »

Thanks again EG! As always, a great job. I'm already greatly anticipating the next chapter.
lon3vvolf
n00b Smasher

Post by lon3vvolf »

Great release guys! I sure hope Gutts company don't go the way of the B.O.T.H.

One question though. On the last page, first panel. Who is Gutts looking at through th window? I think its Caska but I'm not sure.
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Turd Ferguson wrote:My guess was it was Jim Hawkins from Treasure Island. He hides in an apple barrel on a ship and overhears a plot too. Is there an anime or mange versoin of Treasure Island?
Oh thanks, that's the one! I just instantly recognized the face and hair style from my childhood tv-memories, but couldn't figure out what. I thought maybe the Robin Hood anime. But Treasure Island it definately is. Though the only information I could find was that the japanese adaptation was called Takarajima I still got some picture via google. That boy definately is the one who Puck is impersonating:

Ah the sweet childhood memories of watching german television "cartoons" without even knowing that half of the shows (Captain Future, Saber Rider, all those stuff rocked back then :D) were animes.
lon3vvolf wrote:One question though. On the last page, first panel. Who is Gutts looking at through th window? I think its Caska but I'm not sure.
He's looking at Schierke, lying on her hat with Evarella besides her.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Oh my god! I was too young to remember anything from that anime, but I knew I had seen that face before.

Thanks EG.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Ah i still remember the german intro... although the graphics sucked because they only used stills the song was very nice:

[youtube]4jhD-DQpQHA[/youtube]

And some scenes:

[youtube]TI2hLGzixcY[/youtube]

P.S. Sorry for hijacking the thread kinda but the series was just so cool and seeing it referenced in Berserk like 20 years later is just beyond awesome.
dialdfordesi

Post by dialdfordesi »

greydeath wrote:If I'm not mistaken that the wolf is actually an effect the brand is having on Guts.
While I do agree with you that the brand is what probably created the wolf, it seems to me that the wolf is the manifestation of Guts' hatred for Griffith. The wolf may want to kill Guts' crew to not only prevent any detours to killing Griffith, but also to immerse Guts into only feeling hatred. After all, Guts only seems to feel two things, care for his companions and hatred for Griffith.
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
Tien
imanewbie

Post by Tien »

There is also a possibility that guts will be called upon, or the beast version of guts will call upon the God Hand to grant him special powers and be faced with the decision to sacrifice all his loved ones in order to be granted enough power to kill griffith.

Maybe guts will become a 6th godhand member and then kill the other god hand members????

Definately could happen.
dialdfordesi

Post by dialdfordesi »

Well, Tien, early in the Berserk manga the God Hand has stated that Guts can never be an apostle, let alone a God Hand due to his brand. I am with you on the fact that Guts may have to choose between his crew or killing Griffith. If anything, this chapter foreshadows that Guts may have to lose everything he loves in order to fuel his vengeful thirst to kill Griffith.
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
TheDrizzit
Beware my tactical spam

Post by TheDrizzit »

T'would suck if persay the elfen king was an apostle or some wierd plot twist would make Guts have to choose between using a behelit (does he still have his collection???) or sacrifice getting Caska's sanity back...

Hell who knows what I'm talking about...there's a point in there somewhere...good ol' Shiner Bock. None of you Yank's know of it though...Bwahahahaha....

Poor Guts though...I bet he just needs a joint, a beer, and some relaxation. At least he got to climb up on the ship again, he loves those high places.

^_^
That's right!! Another pointless post by me bitches!!! HA!
lon3vvolf
n00b Smasher

Post by lon3vvolf »

As far as I recall wasn't it impossible for Gutts to use a behelit since he was branded, along with Caska and the B.O.T.H, as a sacrifice. Use it in a sense like the Count or Griffith seems very unlikely. However he might do something along eating them and coating the DS them in order to cut into another plane.... right?
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Turd Ferguson wrote:
Aetherfukz wrote:But anyway I got a question: When Farnese's Brother opens the barrel with apples and Puck in it, what Charakter is Puck impersonating there? It reminds me of some Anime series I saw as a child but I cannot put my finger on it what it was. Anybody know?
My guess was it was Jim Hawkins from Treasure Island. He hides in an apple barrel on a ship and overhears a plot too. Is there an anime or mange versoin of Treasure Island?
So I assume that entire scene was for shits and giggles then, and Magnifico's sheme won't come to fruition.

....breeding and selling off Elves for money? That guy's a genius.....LOL.
Let's put a smile on that face...............
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

By the way, how would Magnifico be able to sell fairies when most people can't even see them?
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
lon3vvolf
n00b Smasher

Post by lon3vvolf »

I think the only reason Magnifico can see them is because he is a fairy as well. And hes a moron, thats why he thinks his plan will work.
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Well Magnifico may be able to see Elfes because hes not such a loyal follower of god as Farnese and all the preachers/holy knights were.

And upon rereading the whole story up till now, I find it highly possible or even hinted at that the strange naked kid on the beach who scared away the kushan Crocodiles could be the Hanafubuku King. While I always thought upon my first readthrough that the kid was just some kind of astral projection of Caska and Guts' child. But it makes much more sense that it would have been the king checking out the situation. Naked like all the other elfs? Yes. And he scared away the beasts and somehow touched Guts so that he flew away some meters in the berserk armor so he couldn't harm the party and Schierke got enough time to pull him out.

And of course. What a happy coincidence that just that night Skull Knight appears and tells them about the legendary elf king and how he would be able to bring Caska's heart back.