Halo 3

Welcome to the official EG Gaming Buzkashi League (EGBL).

Moderator: EG Members

Grahf
Crusher of Dreams

Re: Halo 3

Post by Grahf »

Tempest wrote:That's the second symptom of Final Fantasy VII syndrome. Due to a games popularity, it is usually the first experience the average gamer has in that genre. As such, the gamer will always hold every other game in that genre in comparison to the specific game, usually ignorant of earlier games in the genre which are more worthy of praise. I can't really say if that is 100% true for Halo, but I know for a fact it is with FFVII. Although on that note, I do know plenty of people who refuse to play any FPS that doesn't have Halo in the title.

Crap you know I just realized this. I have friends that went out and bought rainbow six: vegas. They played it for a month or so and then went back to Halo 2. Really I find Rainbow Six: Vegas to have a better overall multiplayer feel to it than Halo 3. The thing that halo 3 has on it is the easy at which you can find a game. Vegas you tend to join matches already in progress (which always sucks because the search says it hasn't started). I brought that up to said friends the other day and they really didn't agree with me. Big surprise!
"Context is for Kings"
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

Tempest wrote:
Grahf wrote: I really don't know what really sets Halo apart from games like Killzone etc. Is it another chapter of Final Fantasy VII syndrome? Perhaps but really there aren't too many FPS better on the market(Call of Duty 4).
That's the second symptom of Final Fantasy VII syndrome. Due to a games popularity, it is usually the first experience the average gamer has in that genre. As such, the gamer will always hold every other game in that genre in comparison to the specific game, usually ignorant of earlier games in the genre which are more worthy of praise. I can't really say if that is 100% true for Halo, but I know for a fact it is with FFVII. Although on that note, I do know plenty of people who refuse to play any FPS that doesn't have Halo in the title.
Not quite. Halo wasn't the first experience many had- it was the first, period.

I love Goldeneye 64 as much as the next man, perhaps a bit more- but it is by no means the predecessor of Halo, if anything it's the predecessor of TimeSplitters and Perfect Dark/Zero. I liked Starsiege: Tribes, which featured a vast array of weapons, vehicles and expansive combat zones years before the release of Halo- but no game, on PC or consoles, was like Halo. Halo isn't FFVII because there is no real FFVI. Exactly what games did Halo better than Halo way before Halo: Combat Evolved came along? It's not only not 100% true, I'm starting to doubt it's even 20% true.

As for people not playing any FPS that lacks a Halo in the title, I can kind of see where they are coming from. For the entire last generation Halo was, simply put, the best FPS game on the console market.
Femto wrote:
Buzkashi wrote:is what made me keep playing halo 2 up till the day halo 2 came out.
*head explodes*
stay chill brah I fixed it
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

LordMune wrote: Exactly what games did Halo better than Halo way before Halo: Combat Evolved came along?
If you could quantify what exactly makes Halo we might be able to.
ImageImage
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

Tempest wrote:
LordMune wrote: Exactly what games did Halo better than Halo way before Halo: Combat Evolved came along?
If you could quantify what exactly makes Halo we might be able to.
I think Femto sums up some of the aspects pretty well.
Femto wrote:Recharging shields? Weapon management? Vehicles? Checkpoint system? Grenades at the touch of a button?
Add to that expansive vehicle-driven (but nonetheless navigable on-foot) multi-layered levels, the Weapon-Grenade-Melee trifecta that is not only available to the player but the enemy as well, and pretty astounding enemy variation and AI. The individual features are nothing new (maybe recharging shields), but Halo was the first to bring them all together, and it did so succesfully. Halo is the sandbox all of these things fit into.
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
Grahf
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Grahf »

LordMune wrote:I think Femto sums up some of the aspects pretty well.
Femto wrote:Recharging shields? Weapon management? Vehicles? Checkpoint system? Grenades at the touch of a button?
Add to that expansive vehicle-driven (but nonetheless navigable on-foot) multi-layered levels, the Weapon-Grenade-Melee trifecta that is not only available to the player but the enemy as well, and pretty astounding enemy variation and AI. The individual features are nothing new (maybe recharging shields), but Halo was the first to bring them all together, and it did so succesfully. Halo is the sandbox all of these things fit into.
Plus the fact that its on a console and not a computer. Half-life is just as good if not better but its isn't availible on a console until next week. But really thats too little too late.
"Context is for Kings"
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

From what I gather, it's not that Halo had anything completely new that no one had seen before, but rather a good implementation of what was already in many other games before. And on console rather than PC.

My first reaction when I played Halo 1 was: "what do they see in this game?", then Halo 2 came out and I played it and said: "so it's like Unreal Tournament?". I haven't played Halo 3 yet, so I can't say much, but I still consider the series to be a little overblown. I suppose the FFVII syndrome explains this very well.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
dialdfordesi
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by dialdfordesi »

I guess what makes Halo work so well is very hard to describe. It's kind of like describing why Starcraft is so amazing compared to other RTS games. I mean, it basically has the same elements as other games in its genre at the time(albeit three factions), but in the game it just worked so well and that's what made it work so well.
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
Grahf
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Grahf »

Its official Bungie and MS split.
"Context is for Kings"
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

I was wondering why Microsoft would do something like this. Then I read this paragraph:
Microsoft Corp. today announced a plan for Bungie Studios, the developers of the “Halo” franchise, to embark on a path to become an independent company. Microsoft will retain an equity interest in Bungie, at the same time continuing its long-standing publishing agreement between Microsoft Game Studios and Bungie for the Microsoft-owned “Halo” intellectual property as well as other future properties developed by Bungie.
Source
Now that's the Microsoft I remember.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Ive been on xbox lives tech suport like 5 times. I constantly drop games and as a result I've lost about 20 experience points. I'm not very happy with them right now.
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

I thought they fixed that??? That sucks I know the feeling (Life is a bitch, trying to play Halo 3 on Xbox live, in Bush Alaska :evil: )

But anyway me and my brother just played in a Halo3 Tourny and I got 4th out of 22 people and My 10 year old Brother got first :shock: He kick everyones ass except mine because when we needed to play I forfited. Well he won an xbox 360 core pack and Halo 3 so he is pretty happy. I just wanted a Halo 3 hat :(
Thank you sir, may I have another :twisted: :whip:
Finito
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by Finito »

Bought the game saturday night and finished it sunday morning, the coop makes it a little too easy I think, even though it was legendary, me and 3 of my bros(only 2 at a time, for some reason coop only works with 2 players at a time on one 360) did end it pretty easily I have to say. Definitely not long enough too, which is a good sign of how good it was leaving us wanting more, but I still should only have rented it. And I didnt like the multiplayer mode, because I prefer playing some other FPS like CSS instead.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Sandman wrote:I thought they fixed that??? That sucks I know the feeling (Life is a bitch, trying to play Halo 3 on Xbox live, in Bush Alaska :evil: )

They didnt fix shit.
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

They fixed the Matchmaking now it is a lot faster... and they have fixed the People leaving and not kicking everyone out, last night I was in a Nuetral bomb game and everyone quit except me an one other guy on the other team and we finished it and I was still able to get to my old party after the game; I call that fixed
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

I still have many problems. I call that broken.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

At EB games I have a lot of people trading in Halo 3. The game series is just going downhill because Microsoft focused too much on the online than the offline. Make the game have at least 30 hours of story game play, then do the online!!!! Why do they never listen!
Audentis Fortuna Juvet - Virgil
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

I've told them many times on tech support that fixing my drop problem will no longer suffice. I must be compensated for my lost hours. Cash or a return of all lost exp points will due fine.
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

:LOL: thats a good one... only if the world was fair right ??? Anyway Halo 3 is still a fun game online no matter what anyone says.
fujinsan
Flexing spam muscles

Post by fujinsan »

1. No I've never bought it.
2. see answer 1
3. yes me and a friend has beaten it.
4. It was a huge dissapointment.
5. No because microsoft doesn't plan on making another one