Spartans & Elites & Buzkashi in Halo_Genius

Welcome to the official EG Gaming Buzkashi League (EGBL).

Moderator: EG Members

Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Re: Spartans & Elites & Buzkashi in Halo_Genius

Post by Aetherfukz »

1. Yeah I did play it on normal.
2. Well actually at first Bungie developed Halo for the PC. Then came along Microsoft and bought Bungie and made them sacrifice everthing that Halo was and make a new console game with the same universe but dumbed down for consoles.
3. OK the various WWII shooters are pretty much all the same. But there's System Shock, Bioshock, that Star Wars game where you control 4 clone troopers, and of course, the brilliant Metroid Prime.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Aetherfukz wrote:2. Well actually at first Bungie developed Halo for the PC. Then came along Microsoft and bought Bungie and made them sacrifice everthing that Halo was and make a new console game with the same universe but dumbed down for consoles.
That's probably the most ass-backwards statement I've read this week.
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

Aetherfukz wrote:1. Yeah I did play it on normal.
2. Well actually at first Bungie developed Halo for the PC. Then came along Microsoft and bought Bungie and made them sacrifice everthing that Halo was and make a new console game with the same universe but dumbed down for consoles.
3. OK the various WWII shooters are pretty much all the same. But there's System Shock, Bioshock, that Star Wars game where you control 4 clone troopers, and of course, the brilliant Metroid Prime.
1. Don't play on Normal. One of the strengths of Halo is that it allows you to improvise, but it only really forces you to do that on Heroic and Legendary. There are no other games in which set pieces act on the battlefield the way they do in Halo; but on Normal you have no interest in grenading away those boxes the Grunts are taking cover behind, because you can run up and beat them down with little to no danger to your person- not so on higher difficulties. There's no real reason to jack that Ghost because you're just fine on foot, on Normal difficulty. See where I'm going with this?

2. Halo was a much different game on the PC- hell, the E3 2000 trailer is still my favorite video game trailer of all time, but there's no denying all the changes that were made have been for the better. Halo's triumph is that it is ideally suited for consoles- no other FPS plays as good on a console as Halo does, so the "lol for Mac (then later PC) originally" argument is retarded beyond belief. The earlies builds of Halo (discounting the RTS incarnations) have very few redeeming features, and I honestly doubt revolutionary stuff like the weapon-grenade-melee trifecta would have made it into Halo the Mac Game.

3. So? Bioshock is an awesome game, and so are the others, but none of them really allow the kind of freedom Halo does. They don't allow for such creativity (except for maybe Bioshock) and are thus not as fun to play- Metroid Prime is fucking mind-blowing, but for entirely different reasons. It completely lacks Halo's "30 seconds of fun in a sandbox" design ideal.
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
Grahf
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Grahf »

Aetherfukz wrote:3. OK the various WWII shooters are pretty much all the same. But there's System Shock, Bioshock, that Star Wars game where you control 4 clone troopers, and of course, the brilliant Metroid Prime.
hmm really can't argue with any of that. Too bad Halo is still an overall better experience (with exception of Bioshock).
"Context is for Kings"
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

I think the Halo 3 campaign is a lot more fun to play than BioShock.

BioShock takes a steady nosedive after the first half of the game and that really hurts the overall experience.

Enemy variety isn't probably that much more different than Halo 3, but the AI in the latter is far, far better which leads to more different scenarios in combat.

I guess it depends on what you're looking for in your games.

If they were movies, Halo would be the mindless summer blockbuster and BioShock would be the slower suspense film that wins a couple of awards here and there.

Also, Team Fortress 2 is the best multiplayer game on the 360.

It's just badly hurting for maps and game modes.
Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

People on the 360 can't play against people on PC can they?
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Ayanami wrote:People on the 360 can't play against people on PC can they?
No, and for good reason.

I don't think I'd enjoy playing against someone with a mouse and keyboard while I chug away on my gamepad.
Grahf
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Grahf »

actually thats incorrect. Shadowrun was the first of many games that will pit 360 users vs. PC users. I forget what Microsoft calls it though. I heard alot of the game developers were against it but we will see.

I've yet to play team fortress 2. But I heard it hurts because maps are locked into particular modes. That doesn't sound good to me. I will continue playing vegas.
"Context is for Kings"
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Grahf wrote:actually thats incorrect. Shadowrun was the first of many games that will pit 360 users vs. PC users. I forget what Microsoft calls it though. I heard alot of the game developers were against it but we will see.
He was talking about Team Fortress 2 specifically, which doesn't have cross-platform play.

At least I think he was.
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Femto wrote:BioShock takes a steady nosedive after the first half of the game and that really hurts the overall experience.
That's too true. Bioshock, while good, wasn't as great and innovative as System Shock (2) was. But the one scene that made Bioshock special for me was...
[spoiler]When you kill the leader of Rapture with your own hands, in first person view. That scene was intense and never before done in any media.[/spoiler]

And yeah, Shadowrun can be played on PC versus X-Box. But from what I've read the PC controls, especially the mouse, is extremly unresponsive so that console players without a mouse still have a chance.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

If your any good at halo and play with sensitivity at 10 I believe you could easily beat PC players if it is to come out on pc.
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

Aetherfukz wrote:[spoiler]When you kill the leader of Rapture with your own hands, in first person view. That scene was intense and never before done in any media.[/spoiler]
While I can't cite any direct examples off' the top of my head, I can assure you that that kind of scene has been done before, on film and television, as well as in anime.

Also, I think it's about time people started their own personal demystification of Bioshock. It's a good shooter with a good story, but the setting could just as well have been ripped out of some would-be sequel to Atlas Shrugged, and the philosophical themes presented are just objectivism light.

[spoiler]Would You Kindly is a mind-blowing narrative device, but that is the only new thing Bioshock brings to the table, and the impact of the "moral choice" in the game was sadly sacrificed for the sake of playability. An art house flick it ain't.[/spoiler]
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Such a scene was done before in first-person view? I couldn't think of any movie of game that did that. Anyway in a movie it might not be such intense because you didn't control the character before or after that. But in the game it was really "you" who did it.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Aetherfukz wrote:Such a scene was done before in first-person view? I couldn't think of any movie of game that did that. Anyway in a movie it might not be such intense because you didn't control the character before or after that. But in the game it was really "you" who did it.
Well, not really because it's a cutscene and that immediately pulls you out of the moment.

Destructoid has a really good article about that and just the storytelling in the game in general.

http://www.destructoid.com/exploring-i- ... 6498.phtml
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Femto wrote:
Aetherfukz wrote:Such a scene was done before in first-person view? I couldn't think of any movie of game that did that. Anyway in a movie it might not be such intense because you didn't control the character before or after that. But in the game it was really "you" who did it.
Well, not really because it's a cutscene and that immediately pulls you out of the moment.

Destructoid has a really good article about that and just the storytelling in the game in general.

http://www.destructoid.com/exploring-i- ... 6498.phtml
Awesome article! The guy is right on all accounts. I totally didn't get the father-son thing in the game.
But on the last topic, I've played almost all first person shooters (at least on the pc and nintendo systems) but I cannot think of any scene which was like the one in Bioshock. Neither a movie which did this in first person. Maybe a manga though that I do not know.
I think tragic events seen or experienced through the characters eyes are a superb why to immerse the player/reader/viewer into the world. That's why I was so extremly struck by Judeos death scene in the anime, and to a lesser degree Guts last sight of his right eye.

And a completely shameless blog-plug from me on that topic: http://webex.blogsome.com/2007/05/24/he ... onal-jesus 8)
Grahf
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Grahf »

I should be shot for even mentioning this. But the movie Doom had some First person elements and it was viewed as a joke. So I don't really think many movies did that. Then again there was a great axe scene in 30 days of NIght.
"Context is for Kings"
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Oh yeah Doom, what a stupid movie. But those 30 seconds or so that were first person were kinda cool. On the directors commentary they said that they planned the sequence for 5 minutes but ended up cutting almost all of it.
Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

Femto wrote:He was talking about Team Fortress 2 specifically, which doesn't have cross-platform play.

At least I think he was.
I was, I asked because I have it for the PC and would not mind playing some of you guys online. I suck though.

I don't have the cash to pick up a 360, and if I did there are still games for the PS2 and Saturn I want to pick up first.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

This is somewhat off topic, but I don't know where the hell this thread is going, so here's a funny review of Halo 3 that parallels my impression of the game:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/article ... ion-Halo-3
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

War Machine wrote:This is somewhat off topic, but I don't know where the hell this thread is going, so here's a funny review of Halo 3 that parallels my impression of the game:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/article ... ion-Halo-3
Yahtzee is a cool guy and all, but that is a terrible, terrible review.

He even admits it himself in the end, IIRC.
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

LordMune wrote: He even admits it himself in the end, IIRC.
He doesn't admit that it's bad, he just admits that no matter what he says about it, Halo 3 is still going to be insanely popular.
ImageImage
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

Tempest wrote:
LordMune wrote: He even admits it himself in the end, IIRC.
He doesn't admit that it's bad, he just admits that no matter what he says about it, Halo 3 is still going to be insanely popular.
At 03:45 in the video, and I quote; "I originally had another game lined up for this week but the incessant nagging drove me to hammer this one out over the weekend so I hope you appreciate it you pushy cunts". I believe he later mentioned on SA that he was aware he was just taking cheap shots at the game and wasn't really happy with it. Having somehow failed to play Halo 1 and 2 disqualifies him, and he knows it.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

LordMune wrote: At 03:45 in the video, and I quote; "I originally had another game lined up for this week but the incessant nagging drove me to hammer this one out over the weekend so I hope you appreciate it you pushy cunts". I believe he later mentioned on SA that he was aware he was just taking cheap shots at the game and wasn't really happy with it. Having somehow failed to play Halo 1 and 2 disqualifies him, and he knows it.
That is not the same as saying that was a bad review, at most it says that he was rushed, which doesn't necessarily disqualify his opinions. Also, the only thing that the first two games were useful for in the review was to get the full story which isn't anything to brag about anyway.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

I played with Buz yesterday.

I think my e-buddies scared him off.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Nah, I got dropped.

I'm still being affected by the server issues or so it seems.

Also I kapwned all of j00!! I ahd like what 16 kills while the rest of you were stuck ast like 4. :kekeke: :smoke:
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.