Bioshock demo!

Welcome to the official EG Gaming Buzkashi League (EGBL).

Moderator: EG Members

MadDogMike
Mastered PM

Bioshock demo!

Post by MadDogMike »

So who's played the Bioshock demo yet?

I think it's the most amazing game I've played in a long time, and I'm more excited than ever about this game now that I've experienced the demo. Prepare to be blown away, people. :D

The joy I felt when I started playing that demo was the same as if I'd opened up a Christmas present when I was 12 years old and found the full version of Bioshock inside. They've pretty much nailed every aspect of this game. Everything about it feels extremely polished, almost to the point where you'd call it a work of art. It's immediately noticable that a HUGE budget went into this game.

When I originally saw the plasmids, I thought they felt a bit uninspired and gimmicky. After playing the demo, I can say with absolute confidence that they are going to be one of the most fun parts of the final game. They actually provide the player with enough different ways to use them that this very much becomes a thinking game rather than just a straightforward (albeit twisted and atmospheric) shooter. For instance, the lightning plasmid can be one of the most fun parts of the demo. You can choose to shock someone then run up and club them over the head with the wrench while they are stunned and twitching, or in the occasion that they're standing in water, you can obviously shock the water for a bit more pain (as well as multiple kills if there's more than one enemy in there). Or, if you're feeling a bit more strategic, use the fire plasmid to set enemies on fire then watch as they run screaming in agony and dive into the nearest pool of water, only to use your lightning plasmid on the water to finish them off. It's great fun. :D

I wouldn't be able to finish this post without mentioning the graphics now, would I? Move over Gears of War, there's a new king now. Although there's a little bit of aliasing in the demo, it's really not that bad, and the stunning amount of visual quality and immersion it provides more than makes up for it. You really have to experience it for yourself to understand.

Well, my lunchbreak is over now (actually, it was over for the last 10 minutes that I took to write this), so I'm going to leave it at that. Discuss your own thoughts of the game/demo, anything else that you thought was cool or that you've discovered which the rest of us might not know. I want to hear your opinions.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Re: Bioshock demo!

Post by Femto »

The Bioshock demo blew my socks off.

It blew them right off my fucking feet.
Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

Wow only took three-four days for a thread to pop up. Yeah I liked it.
MadDogMike
Mastered PM

Post by MadDogMike »

I was surprised that there wasn't already one... not even a single post in the Xbox 360 thread about it either. This game deserves praise. :(
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

Femto wrote:The Bioshock demo blew my socks off.

It blew them right off my fucking feet.
I was wondering if the demo was living up to the immense hype it was getting, and if Femto is impressed then it must be doing just that (Or have unlockable galleries of Mune and Buz in speedos and the like). I'll have to get one of my friends with a 360 to let me try it. Still, I couldn't help but laugh at the people who say this is going to outsell Halo 3. Sad but true.
ImageImage
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

I never got the hype around Bioshock- System Shock 2, all that, yes sure, but I tend to mistrust developers who, from publisher down to programmer level, hype their product as the best thing ever.

However, what I've seen of the demo makes me want to play it so bad.

I'll buy the PC version of this based solely on hype and gameplay videos from a demo.
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

Reviews

oxm uk 10 / 10
pc gamer uk 95 / 100
pc zone 96 / 100
eurogamer 10 / 10
gamer.tv 5 / 5
game informer 10 / 10
ap magazine 5 / 5
computers & video games 9.5 / 10
gamepro 10 / 10
1up 10 / 10
xbox world 94 / 100
gamespy 5 / 5
console and gameworld 99 / 100

Stolen from NeoGaf thread.
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

HOLKY FUCK IT'S ON STEAM

I just pre-purchased it, and I am currently pre-loading it so hard.

EDIT: Seems I'll have to overclock my new rig a bit, a measly 2.6GHz from a Core 2 Duo processor apparently isn't enough, 3GHz is recommended (though not minimum spec). No matter, according to reports I should be able to overclock to at least 3.6GHz without any damage to the system.
MadDogMike
Mastered PM

Post by MadDogMike »

COME ON PC demo, where are you?

At this rate, I'll have the full version in my hands by the time the demo becomes available.
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

I just played the 360 demo.

Oh.

My.

God.

I never thought it'd live up to the hype, not in a million years, but...

Mind = blown
Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

LordMune wrote:I just played the 360 demo.

Oh.

My.

God.

I never thought it'd live up to the hype, not in a million years, but...

Mind = blown
It made a believer out of you!

Too bad, I am too poor to pick up the game.
Loeviz
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Loeviz »

I liked the demo a lot.
I was pondering whter I should buy Blue dragon or Bio-schock. And after Ive played both demos Im more into Bio-shock.

But why isnt there any multiplayer option in Bio-schock? Thats the only thing I have to complain about.

\"No Sane man will dance.\"
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero (106-43 BC)
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

I sincerely doubt that Bioshock needs a multiplayer mode (and Blue Dragon looks like ass- everything Toriyama has designed since Chrono Trigger is terrible).
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

LordMune wrote:(and Blue Dragon looks like ass- everything Toriyama has designed since Chrono Trigger is terrible).
As much as I am willing to to talk at length about Chrono Trigger's superiority in all matters to every other RPG, I think that's a little harsh. I mean, the guys from DQ Swords looks pretty interesting to me. A little emo for my taste, still pretty cool. Then again, I automatically gave the guy a few points of not making them look like Dragon Ball Z characater re-hashes.
ImageImage
Loeviz
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Loeviz »

Oh sweet, Bioschock isnt going to cost as much as the average new releases in Sweden.
Well that settles it, its mine in three days :D

Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

BioShock is great.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Will they ever release a PC demo?
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

The PC demo has been out for a couple days now.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Alright, then I shall acquire it.

Edit: 1.8GB for the demo? Damn... might as well just get whole the game.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Killfile
Flexing spam muscles

Post by Killfile »

The demo is massive on a level that I can't describe. 1.8 Gigs is absurd. That said - it's also fairly amazing. There are some things that piss me off -- HDR or not, Bioshock's mind-blowing visuals and glorious lighting effects result in scenes that are so engrossing and amazing that it becomes very hard to find helpful things... like weapons. The absence of an alt-fire mode suggests that the current control layout for switching between your plasmid abilities and your weapons was thought out by a chimp with a brain tumor rather than an interface designer... but such things are likely something I can either tweak or patch later on, provided the game is as open to modding as its contemporaries are.

Part of me wants to turn on God Mode and just wander around Rapture. Wow. The engine and meticulous modeling are just over the top. As "great leaps forward" go, this ranks up there with Oblivion as far as the "oh my God I didn't know they could do that" factor is concerned. The water effects alone will leave most tech-savvy computer-graphic aficionados slack-jawed.

The other part of me wants death-match. Yes, I know this is very much about story and atmosphere. I respect that. It's cool and all, but the potential for a sort of 50's-steam-punk-dark-magic-underwater-deathmatch is just too much to overlook.

Killfile's rating 9.8/10... with .2 points deducted for the absurdity of the "hacking" mini-game.
Carthago delenda est!

--Killfile @ [Nephandus.com]
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

1 hour, 30 minutes and 53 seconds until us poor Europeans can get Bioshockin'. (Argh, Steam.)

I do hope they removed some stuff for the demo though- I really don't want to play through an introductory level I've beaten dozens of times already with no changes or additions.
Loeviz
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Loeviz »

Bought the game today :D
Sadly I have a girl coming over in two hours so I dont got any time to play until monday :P

LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

Bioshock just hit me in the fucking face with a fist made of awesome.

Also, I took down a Big Daddy using only one medkit- admittedly this was after wasting 8 medkits on the very same fight and then reloading a save because I accidentally chose to Harvest and not Free.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

I'm harvesting each and every one of those fucking cunts.
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

The game kindly informed me I had not had my ass handed to me yet by two of the three Daddies in Neptune's Bounty when I "beat" the level. I backtracked for some miniboss action, but now the two remaining Daddies seem to be missing Sisters. What the hell. I'm not killing them just for the loot.

Did I break the game or are you supposed to be screwed once the message telling you you fucked up with the ADAM collecting pops up?

EDIT: Neptune's Bounty is one long-ass level. But cool.