Teh Zombies... they come.

Way off-topic, and allowed! General discussions on anything and everything.

Moderator: EG Members

psi29a
Godo

Teh Zombies... they come.

Post by psi29a »

So, what are you plans for when the Zombies come?

War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Re: Teh Zombies... they come.

Post by War Machine »

When you're in a shelter hiding from zombies, who'd want to see a movie about zombies? Besides, he needs an axe or a bat to help him fight without wasting bullets that is bigger than the knife.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
newbified
n00b Smasher

Post by newbified »

28 Days Later isn't about zombies...
Steeples scrape the sky, Praising God.
Everything here exists for God, is sacrificed to God.
For those who have nothing to sacrifice,
It can be a very heartless city indeed.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

I got into this heated argument about a potential zombie outbreak with a co-worker a while ago.

He insisted that zombies can't open doors and that we'd be safest by locking ourselves in our work building's locker room.

I told him that I'd never lock myself in and that reaching the rooftop for potential helicopter rescues would be our best survival option.

In case of a zombie outbreak I'd like to have a machete and/or a sledgehammer.

I'd love to shotgun the bastards but it wouldn't be practical because of ammunition issues.

After a couple of rounds I'd have to discard it leaving myself defenseless and just waiting to become a zombie myself.

I hope everyone has their zombie contingency plan set in stone at this point.

It will happen.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Femto wrote:He insisted that zombies can't open doors and that we'd be safest by locking ourselves in our work building's locker room.
What's the point in locking the door if they can't open doors anyway? And plus, you'd starve to death. Definitely not a long term survival option. Not a practical solution, but a great way to get into an orgy.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

28 Days Later was a terrible movie.
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Eldo wrote:
Femto wrote:He insisted that zombies can't open doors and that we'd be safest by locking ourselves in our work building's locker room.
What's the point in locking the door if they can't open doors anyway? And plus, you'd starve to death. Definitely not a long term survival option. Not a practical solution, but a great way to get into an orgy.
Meat is meat right? I say eat the zombies, just ignore the hands and mouth obviously something is going on there. :P

PS: 28 days later == great movie ^_^
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

LordMune wrote:28 Days Later was a terrible movie.
Thank you.
Vicissitude
Professional Bastard

Post by Vicissitude »

Some Zombies retain enough ingrained instinct to open doors. Read the Zombie Survival Guide, for Christ's sake!
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Oh, yes, as I’ve said before, you’ve got to have your zombie plan. My friends and I all have specific procedures we are to follow, once the outbreak begins. Locking yourself in-doors can be pretty stupid, but it really just depends on where you are. Not all zombies are smart enough to use doorknobs, but I assure you, some are. The ones who aren’t, will just come in through the windows, or find any other possible method, being it even simply breaking down the door. Now, if you’re behind a steel door that’s locked, that’s pretty good, but you can’t stay there forever. No, you best have an idea of somewhere safe and plausibly reasonable for trying to hold up in, once you’ve gather all your supplies, of course. Ultimately, there’s probably no where you’ll be able to go, to be completely zombie-free. However, surely there will be places with much smaller zombie populations. Guns, and a means to cultivate food, are a must. Of course, in those remote locations, the wild itself will be a danger. I also recommend melee weapons, I prefer a sword, myself. Finally, I wouldn’t recommend eating zombie meat, as it’s known to make you sick, and may potentially lead to zombie infection. I personally just don’t like to take such chances. ;)

Heh, and no, 28 Days/Weeks Later isn't about zombies. They've just got the rage virus, heh.
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Starnum wrote:Heh, and no, 28 Days/Weeks Later isn't about zombies. They've just got the rage virus, heh.
Well, considering that almost all the 'living dead' series is about some virus/bacteria/chemical that reanimates the dead, I could hardly tell the difference. Goto any IMBD 'zombie' movie, and it has something involving the above. I define zombie as pretty much anything that was dead that is re-animated and tries to attack/eat you. Unfortunately that also includes resuscitative sociopaths that tries to take the ear of a nurse. :P
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Heh, I know what you mean, and you can definitely argue that 28 Days/Weeks are zombie movies. However, the people that are infected in those movies, aren’t actually dead, and never were. Once they’re dead, they’re dead. That’s why they’re technically not zombies, much like the freaks in RE4. However, it’s similar enough, so they may as well be, heh. In anycase, I don’t think the actual zombie apocalypse will be the result of some virus. I see it being more traditional, like in the Romero movies. They never actually say what’s causing the zombies to come back to life, but they pretty much imply that it’s by supernatural means. Some say that Hell has become full, and is overflowing. :twisted:
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

My dictionary right here actually says that one definition of zombie is a person who is or appears lifeless, apathetic, or completely unresponsive to their surroundings. So the infected people in 28 Days Later do fit a definition of zombie.

Anyway, I don't think the zombie apocalypse will be so severe because it has to start somewhere, and neighboring countries will most likely interfere and attack the zombies until they're all dead (much like 28 Weeks Later), it's not like they try to hide or anything.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Avulsion
imanewbie

Post by Avulsion »

Enslave the undead with my telepathic abilities.
dialdfordesi
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by dialdfordesi »

If the "zombination" occurs by disease, I would equip myself with a plane ticket to Hawaii or some other island.
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

I would love to see a zombie movie set in the ghetto.
ZoddsNo1Fan
This is my new home

Post by ZoddsNo1Fan »

To have Bruce Campbell as my personal bodyguard?
uncempt
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by uncempt »

Yeah that would work. Just be sure to stock up on ammo for his boomstick.
Vicissitude
Professional Bastard

Post by Vicissitude »

Deadites aren't zombies either.
Killfile
Flexing spam muscles

Post by Killfile »

Ok -- first, on the disease angle:

If Zombification is a disease than we can expect it to spread like other diseases with a human vector. TB is a good example. Ye need look no further than last weeks headlines to see that idiots with drug-resistant TB can get on aircraft these days... so flying to Hawaii is out.

Second - Zombies can get through doors. Ok -- locked steel re-enforced doors are another matter... but you're going to need to worry about windows etc.

I'll make some assumptions here for my Zombie Apocalypse plan

1 - Zombies eat because they... well... need to. Presumably Zombies can starve to death, otherwise they wouldn't be after brains.
2 - Zombies can open doors... otherwise most of these movies would suck
3 - Zombies can't operate complex machines
4 - Zombies are on a strict "brains only" diet. No Boca-Burgers after the Uprising.

My Zombie Apocalypse plan

1 - Maintain a few weeks stock of canned foods, water, etc in a fairly remote location. I already live in a small town and my parents live on top of a mountain. If they get infected with the Zombie virus there are only two of them and they're close to 70. I can take a 70 year old Zombie.

2 - At the first sign of an uprising, hunker down at the mountain retreat. Defend the driveway with a rifle. Any other way in will result in the zombies falling down a wooded embankment.

3 - After two weeks or so we should expect almost all remaining Zombie activity to be concentrated in the cities. Now we relocate. Take a vehicle and, avoiding large population centers, go west -- raiding small stores etc for provisions.

4 - Locate an abandoned Titan II missile silo in the western United Sates. There are a fair number of these and they're extensive and hardened facilities. Begin renovations and prepare to attempt to make radio contact with the outside world. Raid nearby towns for solar panels (it's the south west dumbass),fuel, food, etc while we work.

5 - Implement the Strangelove Repopulation Plan as outlined below.
With the proper breeding techniques and a ratio of say, ten females to each male, I would guess that they could then work their way back to the present Gross National Product within say, twenty years.... I hasten to add that since each man will be required to do prodigious...service along these lines, the women will have to be selected for their sexual characteristics which will have to be of a highly stimulating nature.

Update: Psi came up with a great suggestion -- I should use him as a "meat shield"
Carthago delenda est!

--Killfile @ [Nephandus.com]
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Two points to make. First off, I don’t think the zombie apocalypse will be taking place in a centralized location. So we won’t be able to simply bomb the “infected” area, and wipe them out, like seen in 28 Days/Weeks and Resident Evil. Now, this could be the case, however, I’m thinking the invasion will include the entire planet. It wouldn’t be much of an apocalypse otherwise. There will essentially be nowhere safe to go. Anywhere there is man, or man can be, you’ll probably find zombies. That’s how it’s depicted in the supernatural version of the event. Also, anyone who dies after that, also turns into a zombie, whether they were bitten or not. There will be no room left in death, so any living human who dies will rise again.

Also, from my studies, zombies don’t ONLY eat brains. They’ll eat any kind of living human organ matter. The ones in the Return of the Living Dead series just seem to prefer brains. However, zombies don’t normally talk either, that just seems a bit silly to me.
Killfile
Flexing spam muscles

Post by Killfile »

Right -- but since Zombies eat people (and thus presumably Soylent Green, but that's neither here nor there) we can assume that, once the human population is gone and they're out of food they'll.... what? Starve?

Even if they don't starve they'll relocate since they pretty much do nothing else but shuffle around looking for brains/humans. Failing to encounter brains, Zombies should, at worst, dissipate like a gas.

And of course there's somewhere safe to go! Think about it.

Zombies eat people right? That's what they do. So the solution is to go somewhere where there aren't any people... or very few people

What zombies were there will relocate -- with so little food they'll go on the road, heading for areas of higher population density and thus larger food stocks... or they'll starve.

Thus small towns. First, there's a lower risk of infection in a rural area. Second, what rural areas there are will approach "ghost town" status faster as the Zombies there are forced out.

Going somewhere completely abandoned (like a missile silo that's been empty for 30 years) is sure to be Zombie free -- and somewhere designed to withstand a direct impact from a 25 megaton hydrogen bomb should be able to take whatever hurt Zombies can dish out.
Carthago delenda est!

--Killfile @ [Nephandus.com]
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

Dude you guys would all die, while I sit up here in Alaska with my Family at our cabin hundreds of miles from civilization only accessable by plane or boat. and by boat I am talking about a boat that only draws less then a foot of water because to get to our cabin you have to go up a very dangerous and sallow river. Up there we would be able to stay alive for generations... well I guess we would have to bring none family members for that but anyway we would survive until we died of old age... so there you go one big advantage of living in bush Alaska not a lot of people to turn into Zombies and a vast wilderness that no zombie could survive... I just hope that the animals dont become zombafied :evil:

and 28 days later was great, I just hope that 28 weeks later is not a failure.

PS this is the plan for most disasters like nuclear war, Plauge, zombies, Deep impacts, and all other armegedon events.
Thank you sir, may I have another :twisted: :whip:
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

28WL is a hit or miss. my friends hated it, but my brother and i both enjoyed. The actress who played the daughter made the movie for me, she was extremely fucking gorgeous. Imogen poot is her name, yes she can pull a name like that off :D.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Oh no, you’re right. I mean, you can go to secluded areas to get away from zombies, and of course you can seal yourself up in a silo with no zombies. I just meant that you can’t just go to another country to escape the zombies. As I said in my initial post, you’ll want to go some place with low to no human population. It sounds like we’re pretty much on the same page Kilfile. Heh, I can respect a man with a well thought out zombie plan.

Now, to address sandman, I’ll just say I fully accept the possibility that in the case of a zombie outbreak, I’ll probably die. In fact, who knows, I may be one of the first ones to go. I live in the city, so there are bound to be tons of zombies to deal with. However, I’d like to believe in my zombie plan, and have hope that I can survive, and save my family. Yeah, the odds will likely be stacked against me, but a man with no plan and no confidence, is probably doomed from the start. One large mistake I see in most zombie movies, is people missing the signs. The key is to catch the outbreak early, and to act fast. I mean, who knows what stage things will be in, once you finally figure it out, but hopefully early. I know if I were to see a zombie, either in real life or on the news, I would know it was a zombie. Some people can’t suspend their disbelief, and are stupid enough to approach zombies, and possibly try to offer them help, and end up getting eaten. No sir, none of that for me, lol. Anyway, just keep your eyes peeled folks. :P

I really liked 28 Days and 28 Weeks, but that’s just me. I thought 28 Weeks was better than the first movie as well, I just wish they hadn’t shook the camera around so much.