Silent Hill

Welcome to the official EG Gaming Buzkashi League (EGBL).

Moderator: EG Members

Ilvoent
imanewbie

Silent Hill

Post by Ilvoent »

Hey all!
I discovered this site looking for Biomega manga, and just signed to this forum, I think nice community is here.
So talking about Video Gaming - I didnt find any topics about Silent Hill.
Anybody playing here SH ?
There are no better Survival-horror beauty...
Starnum
Elven King

Re: Silent Hill

Post by Starnum »

SH is great, but I still like RE a little more. Though SH is usually more creepy, RE is usually made better. In anycase, I never finished SH3, and I've never played the one after that. I think it's called SH4: The Room, or something like that. I wonder if it's any good. I've never actually had the chance to play it. I've been wanting to play a good new SH game lately though.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

The same here, SH games start good but gets worse fast.

Which is why im strictly RE fan.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
Ilvoent
imanewbie

Post by Ilvoent »

Well I guess I shouldnt started this topic here, because SH is not game its Art, if you had played first SH and atleast SH2 you would understand, its not only about horror, and more this is not shooting arcade like RE. Deep story, different characters with different storyes and personalityes, industrial/noise music, intensity. And I have played all RE games, all Dino Crisis. I have to say that the only getting close is Dino Crisis (the very first). RE is third person shooting arcade, played more for fun, definitely I dont say that its bad, its classic too. And we all have our own favourites. And I dont recomend to start playing like from SH4: the room.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

A lot of people compare Silent Hill to Resident Evil because they have similar gameplay, but they're very different animals.

Resident Evil tries to approach a story about conspiracies and bio-weapons (bio hazards?), with scenarios where zombies and other monsters jump out of nowhere constantly putting you in tough situtations where you have to battle your way out. Silent Hill on the other hand has a more deep story relating to how every character's psyche is affected by the town, while finding a little story about why the town is so strange but never focusing on it. The game usually puts you in creepy areas where you don't know what might happen, leaving the gamer on a constant alert state rather than just scaring them once with monsters coming out the window. They're both great series though.

I'm eagerly awating Silent Hill 5, but I haven't heard anything new on it for a while.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

Resident Evil's story makes me laff.
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Ilvoent wrote:SH is not game its Art,
lol

No, it's not.

The Silent Hill games are compromised of nothing but absolutely horrible gameplay that ride on pure atmosphere alone.

It's worth checking out at least once but no thanks on the franchise.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Which is why im a fan of RE it actually has good gameplay.

Sure Atmosphere in SH are alittle scary but the gameplay sucks.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Libaax wrote:Which is why im a fan of RE it actually has good gameplay.

Hey.

I like it when we're on the same page here.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Me too i was actually smiling like a fool when i saw your post cause i was just about to post the same thing to the guy.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

I’m with you guys, about the only thing SH has going for it is its intense noir atmosphere. I’ve actually beaten the first two games, and believe me, the RE series just provides higher quality game-play, pure and simple.

Don’t get me wrong, I like the SH franchise, as I’m a fan of the horror genre. However, calling RE an arcade style shooter is a bit ridiculous, IMO. One must realize that RE founded the survival horror genre. It was pretty much the first of its kind, that I know of anyway. I had never heard of a survival horror genre till RE came out. Also, keep in mind that the RE franchise is based on movies like Dawn of the Dead, originally, at least. Heh, and you don’t get any more survival horror then that, I assure you. Sure, SH is usually creepier, however that doesn’t mean that the RE franchise doesn’t have it’s moments as well. However, as a gamer, I need more than just good atmosphere. The series has always just been mediocre in all other regards. I still want to play 4 and 5 though, if I can get my hands on them.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Starnum wrote:the only thing SH has going for it is its intense noir atmosphere.
One of most improper uses of the word I've seen so far.

Cheers.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Definitions of Noir on the Web:

A genre of film with a dark or disturbing tone.

Hm, seems I wasn't THAT far off. It's a videogame and not a film, close enough. From what I've come to understand, noir films are not only dark and usually disturbing, but they have slow pacing which relies mainly on the atmosphere. Sounds like SH to me.
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

But the noir stereotype is down-and-out'ish PIs spouting hard-boiled monologues in black-and-white, IIRC. Noir is not horror.

Bah, details.

Anyway, I like SH. Then again, I like SH1 more than 3, and 4 more than 2, so I am probably very alone in my specific like. I admit to the story oftentimes being overly convoluted japanime bullshit, but I actually prefer that over magical viruses. And the music kicks ass.
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

Femto wrote:
Libaax wrote:Which is why im a fan of RE it actually has good gameplay.

Hey.

I like it when we're on the same page here.
Hell just took a turn for the colder!

(+1)
Ilvoent
imanewbie

Post by Ilvoent »

Femto wrote: Ilvoent wrote:SH is not game its Art,

lol

No, it's not.

The Silent Hill games are compromised of nothing but absolutely horrible gameplay that ride on pure atmosphere alone.
What the f**k are you saying !
Get a DVD "Art of silent hill" . Or you want to say that now we should start talking about - what is Art for every person ?
Let me ask you what you know about art !
There are mass of Video remixes, movies, trailers, drawings, comics, music of Silent hill. Akira Yamaoka did increadible works, Every interested in dark noise, industrial, avant-garde music should know that. And the concept of monsters, of flesh, and story about that.

Gameplay ? Did there is difference between gameplay in these games. Gameplay in Silent hill is perfect, but everybody have their own opinions and favourites.
Its no use explaining something. And I arent trying to prove something here.
I like both game series. I played RE since it came out. Yes I agree that the gameplay is simple, but its not a horror game for me. Still the very first RE is my favourite.
Starnum wrote:However, calling RE an arcade style shooter is a bit ridiculous, IMO. One must realize that RE founded the survival horror genre. It was pretty much the first of its kind, that I know of anyway. I had never heard of a survival horror genre till RE came out. Also, keep in mind that the RE franchise is based on movies like Dawn of the Dead, originally, at least. Heh, and you don’t get any more survival horror then that, I assure you.
Ok to make all it clear now !

But was Resident Evil the true originator of the survival-horror genre? It's widely accepted that the PC game Alone in the Dark was a source of inspiration, but it's also possible that a Famicom (NES in the US) game called Sweet Home marked the beginning of the genre.

However the term Survival horror was first used by Resident Evil (1996). The original Japanese version of Resident Evil (known as Biohazard) was marketed under the previously non-existent Survival horror genre on the game's cover. A line of text also displayed the phrase "Enter the world of survival horror..." while the game was loading.

Clock Tower (1997) and Silent Hill (1999) created a group of survival horror games that focus on psychological horror rather than violence and gore. This category deemphasizes combat in order to increase the vulnerability of the protagonist and build tension. Similar titles include the Fatal Frame series and Siren.

Silent Hill also overrode another aspect of the genre by providing a cast of seemingly everyday characters, complete with their own neuroses and fears that players could understand or even relate to.

There's Always Room For Horror

They've come to witness the beggining

The rebirth of paradise dispoiled by mankind

Remember me and your true self as well

Also that which you must become

The one who will lead us to paradise with blood-stained hands

- Claudia Wolf -
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Meh, I'm not trying to compare SH to some old timey noir flick. No way you could really get that to hold up. I was probably using the term a bit too casually, you'll have to forgive me. *shrugs*

Anyway, as I've said, I have definitely enjoyed the SH games. Should be fine to leave it at that. I like the RE franchise a bit more, such as the game-play, even though SH's atmosphere really is great. Besides, the concept of a zombie apocalypse of some kind has always kind of fascinated me. Everyone needs a zombie plan, I say. Heh, in anycase, how is SH4, and have they actually announced plans to make a fifth game in the series?
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Ilvoent wrote:Gameplay in Silent hill is perfect
YAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

And Silent Hill is noir?

No, not really.
newbified
n00b Smasher

Post by newbified »

I played the first Silent Hill game and thoroughly enjoyed it. The atmosphere and the dark turns were always a lot of fun. And I have to say I jumped playing Silent Hill a lot more than I did playing any Resident Evil game. However I couldn't get into the second game of the series nearly as much as I had the first. The first was a very good game, however I personally found the controls quite clunky.

I picked up the Resident Evil series starting with 2, and haven't gone back to hit 1 yet, but the difference between Silent Hill and Resident Evil that I have found, is that Resident Evil seems to get surprisingly better with each addition to the series. I loved Resident Evil 2 when it came out, and played through Resident Evil 3 countless times after it was released. I played Resident Evil 4 well after it was released, but it was absolutely amazing. Probably the best of the horror/action genre that I've played.

Could Silent Hill have gotten better? Possibly. However as soon as I hit the second it was like I had hit a roadblock and it just didn't entertain me anymore. Certainly not enough to have renewed my interest in the series.

Calling it a work of art...to some degree you may be able to. Is it a work of art the same way a Picasso or Botticelli? Certainly not, but art is a very loose term. Some people consider graffiti (Something tells me I'm looking at Buz about that one) art. Whereas there may be a large amount of composed music and concept art and work that has been put into Silent Hill, the same is out there for Resident Evil, and you to each his own, could say that either one is a masterpiece or the better of the two.

And fuck I just ranted about way more than I wanted to.
Steeples scrape the sky, Praising God.
Everything here exists for God, is sacrificed to God.
For those who have nothing to sacrifice,
It can be a very heartless city indeed.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Silent Hill is very different from Resident Evil and I can't see why you can't like both. Besides, this is an SH topic, who the hell cares which game you like best?
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

War Machine wrote:Silent Hill is very different from Resident Evil and I can't see why you can't like both. Besides, this is an SH topic, who the hell cares which game you like best?
Yeah.

God forbid that people in this forum actually have a decent conversation or a healthy discussion for once.

Moron.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Decent conversation? I don't see how that can happen when you're around. :)

I admit came out to strong on that last post, but you are ganging up on him over nothing.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Who's ganging up? I DO like both games. Everyone's entitled to their own opinions. That's all that's going on here.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Hey i adored Heather, she would be awesome in RE ;)
Avulsion
imanewbie

Post by Avulsion »

Ilvoent- your unwavering enthusiasm is morbid.

The atmosphere of the game can feel incredible. I gain no less fun from walking about Silent Hill than awkwardly hitting monsters with a pipe- probably more. The gameplay is pathetic.

The combat in Resident Evil is decent. If Silent Hill could surpass it, we would have a great game.