Claymore

The latest and greatest of Japanese Animation. Found something new, or perhaps old and arcane... if it has to do with anime, it goes right here.

Moderator: EG Members

Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Claymore

Post by Brainpiercing »

This new series is pretty awesome - to me, at least, because it reminds me really strongly of Berserk. (Of course, a good bit of copy-catting must have gone into it. There isn't really much new, just, once again, a combination of several tried and true concepts that seems to work, so far.)

Well, there are big swords (wielded by women, but nevertheless....)

And there are demons, who, so far, haven't been developed too much, they just, well, do the demon things. Eat people, and disguise themselves as humans. They die, too, of course, mostly by acute cases of being chopped in half.

The story so far is usual anime fare, but then, there's a lot of exposition, it might still go anywhere.
Brainpiercing
"Beer cures poison" - (almost) Guts.
Deathbringer
n00b eater

Post by Deathbringer »

I just found Claymore some weeks ago myself but first in manga.

I suggest reading this if you are a fan of Berserk and Hellsing, its like the female counterpart of these three, especially Berserk as the storytelling is very much alike.

The art is good from the beginning, but only gets better in the later volumes, the monster design later on is amazing. Only problem is that it can be hard to distinguish faces, as they all look alike. If it were not for hair styles and scars, telling one Claymore from another would be down right impossible, but don't let this deter you. The story is good at the beginning and the first volumes are pretty much only foreplay but when a certain volume hits [keeping spoilers to a minimum] the shit hits the fan and the pacing only leaves you wanting more.

The anime so far is doing a pretty good job, Madhouse is one of the top animation companies out there, besides Death Note it also did Black Lagoon.

Downloading episodes 4 and 5 now.
Facade19
Mastered PM

Post by Facade19 »

Watching Claymore just re-affirms to me why I consider Madhouse to be the number one stuido out there (alongside Gonzo). The animation are stellar, the color palete (sp?) suits the anime very well. So far I have been pleasantly surprised. I am torn though, as I do not know whether to pick up the manga, or just leave it and enjoy the anime on its own.
RedEyes
n00b Smasher

Re: Claymore

Post by RedEyes »

Eps 8 was really good... Actually, not just the 8th episode, anime is going great so far. This is supposed to be a 26 episode anime, but as of episode 8 they are already in the 4th volume of the manga. Manga is at vol 13 and chapters are released monthly, so with this pace anime will catch up soon. I hope studio manages to slow down the pace instead of putting retarded fillers...
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

I have to say that after looking at volume 1 of the manga I will stick with the anime. This seems to be one of the rare cases where the anime adds atmosphere that wasn't present in the manga, at least in the beginning. The manga seems to progress very quickly, almost hurriedly.

Since I don't want to spoil the story for myself, I'll just go on watching until the anime finishes, then maybe read to catch up and know more.
Brainpiercing
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Hm, maybe I should check this series out as well.
RedEyes
n00b Smasher

Post by RedEyes »

Don't give up on the anime until episode 6. Both the anime and the manga picks up with the flashback Teresa arc, previous eps/volumes are foreplay. Studio Madhouse is doing a great job so far...
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

Hmm, I liked the initial Arc with Clare and Raki.
Brainpiercing
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Duely noted.
newbified
n00b Smasher

Post by newbified »

I started watching this series as well, and I really enjoy it so far. I don't like how half the time you cant distinguish much on the Yomas, but so far it has been a very interesting series.
Steeples scrape the sky, Praising God.
Everything here exists for God, is sacrificed to God.
For those who have nothing to sacrifice,
It can be a very heartless city indeed.
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

Well, as in most monster/demon manga or anime, there seems to be a basic design of the average "stupid" monster/demon, and then later the well-designed monsters appear. So basically I'm hoping for what Deathbringer said, that the monster designs will improve.
Brainpiercing
newbified
n00b Smasher

Post by newbified »

Well it certainly evolves in episode 8, but I was mainly referring to episode 3 and 4, where I had a hard time even distinguishing where the "Veracious Eater" began and the darkness around him ended. That fight wrapped up without me even getting a decent idea of what this huge ancient Yoma even looked like.

I absolutely loved the Teresa Clare flashback. The last 2 episodes were absolutely amazing. And I have to say that I really enjoy the music for the opening and ending of this anime series :P.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

I just finished watching the first two eps and liked it.

Clare is interesting.

The kid crying every sec and asking the same question all the time is alittle annoying.

Im impressed by the animation. It looks very good.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
Deathbringer
n00b eater

Post by Deathbringer »

Brainpiercing wrote:Well, as in most monster/demon manga or anime, there seems to be a basic design of the average "stupid" monster/demon, and then later the well-designed monsters appear. So basically I'm hoping for what Deathbringer said, that the monster designs will improve.
It took some time for the author to get his designs straight and the first 3/4 volumes or 7 episodes, we had to see the "regular" Yom who lack in any original, quality designs, i could post a couple of designs for some particularly cool Awakened designs but it´s better for you to see them when they appear in the story, it´s way cooler.

I´m happy that the animation is getting better now that the fights are alot more complex, the fights with the normal Yoma in the firs episodes was kinda bland.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

What i find refershing is that in a dark fantasy like this the characters look more like real people and not the childish look of most anime characters specially in the comedy and romance ones.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
Damien
Dirty Sennin

Post by Damien »

Going to give this series a try, downloading 2 episodes to test the water.

NARUTO + BLEACH doesn't even come close to the BEST MANGA= ONE PIECE
Loeviz
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Loeviz »

Saw the 9 released episodes today and must say that the story really begins to take of :)
Cant wait until next comes out

\"No Sane man will dance.\"
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero (106-43 BC)
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

Damn cliffhangers, lol.

My take on what will happen:
[spoiler]Clare will release until the point of no return, and then just at the last moment Raki will come running, because he couldn't stay put after all. Repeat what happened the first time. Clare must have some aces up her sleeve - possibly some she doesn't even know about herself, but she's definitely due for a power-up.[/spoiler]
Brainpiercing
Deathbringer
n00b eater

Post by Deathbringer »

Noticed that this Awakened one was a guy but the Claymore organization only uses women?
newbified
n00b Smasher

Post by newbified »

They used to make male Claymores as well, but whereas female Claymores feel pain as well as pleasure while releasing their Yoma powers, men only felt pleasure and constantly surpassed their limits and became Awakened Ones. [spoiler]Or in the case of Isley since he was ranked as #1 in the Claymore organization when he awakened and became an Abyssal One[/spoiler]

I would make a prediction as well, but since I have read the manga something tells me my guesses would be more on the money than others.
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

NO CHEATING!!!!
Brainpiercing
ZoddsNo1Fan
This is my new home

Post by ZoddsNo1Fan »

Good anime. Currently on ep. 9 i believe, waiting for the next to come out :D
RedEyes
n00b Smasher

Post by RedEyes »

I would be really surprised if the org is not somewhat behind all this ruckus - and I don't just mean the obvious setup in the slashers mini-arc. They are too shady and they perfectly fit the manipulator role.
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

10 is out, it explains some things.
Brainpiercing
Loeviz
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Loeviz »

Damn cliffhangers in the middle of everything all the time :D
I want 5 releases at the same time so the story goes forward a little bit :P
I really like Claymore so far, how many episodes is this supposed to become by the way? 25 or more than that?
Hope its more than 25.

[spoiler]So Clare has the same power that Theresa had. Did she get it from letting them put in some of Theresas guts or has Clare honed this skill by herself? Im guesssing the later since she still needed some training to master the offensive part of it.[/spoiler]

\"No Sane man will dance.\"
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero (106-43 BC)