Claymore

The latest and greatest of Japanese Animation. Found something new, or perhaps old and arcane... if it has to do with anime, it goes right here.

Moderator: EG Members

Libaax
Of The Abyss

Re: Claymore

Post by Libaax »

Yeah i know im a purist, i think manga is more pure than anime and better.

Its just that i dont watch as much anime as i used and i have enough mangas to read i dont wanna waste the only new anime i enjoy.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

For me, either has to offer something over the other, or it needs to be a really good series/manga for me to read and watch both.

If a series is well made sometimes it can be more atmospheric than the manga, which is why sometimes the manga feels a little flat after watching the anime. This happened for Black Lagoon for me, for instance, and also, after watching a few eps of Claymore, the manga didn't offer enough detail to read the same parts of the story over again, so I stopped after skimming through volume 1.
Brainpiercing
"Beer cures poison" - (almost) Guts.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

The problem with the anime versions usually are that visually most animation looks less than thier manga versions.

Sure there are some anime versions that are better than thier manga but i havent seen that yet.

The best example is Hajime No Ippo. The anime is my fav anime but its still not as good as the manga. It lacked atmosphere the animators didnt capture from the manga and it had some bad VA's. Another good example is One Piece. I love the manga. Cant stand the anime. The colors make them look disney,Ruffy sounding like an old woman,the lack of good music. If anime doesnt have good or fitting music then its almost useless.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

Ya, that's why I said "when a series is well made".

Or maybe my argument was wrong, after all. Usually I'll stick with whatever I started first, unless the other has more to offer.

Examples of shows where I didn't read the manga, because the anime was satisfying enough: The aforementioned Black Lagoon, I guess Claymore falls into that category, Basilisk, GITS.

Manga where I didn't watch the anime: Gantz (although I've quit the manga, too), Bleach (also quit reading the manga), Death Note (also quit the manga), Monster (watched ep 1, then decided it offered nothing much new).
Brainpiercing
Grahf
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Grahf »

Yes things get good now. Ophelia is in the mix and everything should be good. Though I'm dissappointed in how the messed up some of her facial expersions. Especially "I get it, you've already awakened " face they messed up. But other than that actually watching her she is more disturbing than reading her.
"Context is for Kings"
Dark Force

Post by Dark Force »

Like we don't have enough cliche female heroines.
Loeviz
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Loeviz »

Epsiode 13 had a few surprises in it, I want more :)

[spoiler]Why did she have to lose an arm? And lucky us that Irene just had one arm also, a little bit over the top I thought.
Ophelia awakened, she must be hard as hell to kill[/spoiler]

\"No Sane man will dance.\"
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero (106-43 BC)
newbified
n00b Smasher

Post by newbified »

Like we don't have enough douches on these forums :?. Thanks for adding to the discussion with that deep insightful post. How exactly would you classify Claire as a cliché heroine?

13 was great. I was hoping they would go a little bit further into the story than they did, but I suppose it leaves the next episode open.

[spoiler]And she had to lose an arm because she knew she could reattach it, and she had to make it seem realistic to Ophelia while she feigned her death. If she was a defensive type it wouldn't even matter that she lost it, but sadly she did. And Irene having only one arm isn't over the top to me, since of course she lost it in the fight against Priscilla so long ago. I think they tied it in quite well. I hope that they do the fight with awakened Ophelia well. It was probably one of my favorite fights from the manga.[/spoiler]
Steeples scrape the sky, Praising God.
Everything here exists for God, is sacrificed to God.
For those who have nothing to sacrifice,
It can be a very heartless city indeed.
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

I was going to write something that made sense about manga and cliche, but then I noticed our new friend Dark Fart doesn't have the brains or the will to understand it.

So I'll just say, hey, it's a fighting anime, by all means, give me more.
Brainpiercing
Grahf
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Grahf »

newbified wrote:Like we don't have enough douches on these forums :?. Thanks for adding to the discussion with that deep insightful post. How exactly would you classify Claire as a cliché heroine?

Lets stop and actually think here doesn't Clare come from a very basic "Hero archetype"? That in itself is cliché (to an extent). You could change the circumstances all you want but really all characters in some story are derived from some other source.
"Context is for Kings"
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

Grahf wrote:
newbified wrote:Like we don't have enough douches on these forums :?. Thanks for adding to the discussion with that deep insightful post. How exactly would you classify Claire as a cliché heroine?

Lets stop and actually think here doesn't Clare come from a very basic "Hero archetype"? That in itself is cliché (to an extent). You could change the circumstances all you want but really all characters in some story are derived from some other source.
That's true, but that doesn't justify Dark Fart's complaint. If he doesn't want to watch it, he just shouldn't watch it. I could also complain for ages about how lame any other shonen anime or manga is, but what's the point? People like them, people watch/read them, why should I care?

I like Claymore because it looks great, it still has an interesting story (so have many Shonens, until they reach the inevitable power-up cycle), and I like how Clare is portrayed. She knows she isn't the strongest out there, and she probably doesn't even have the potential to be the strongest (unlike nearly every other shonen hero archetype), but she still goes one, and tries to come out on top, or at least just survive.
Brainpiercing
Grahf
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Grahf »

Well he/she is entitled to their opinion, granted it could have been explained better. Personally I only have problems with clichés when it comes to endings and (certain) plot devices.

But yeah Claymore rock on.
"Context is for Kings"
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

So I picked up the Claymore manga because I had nothing better to do. And I have to say, the anime is at present (me having read the first four volumes) clearly a product that improves on the original. Maybe it just shows how much the animation quality has improved over a few years ago, but when I previously always had the feeling that anime was less detailed than manga, here it is obviously more detailed. The backgrounds are better, the faces are better, even the swords look better. If you take into account that the dynamic art in the manga is not very great, the anime becomes even better in comparison. Of course the manga told the story first, and that's what matters in the end. But here, visuals are a major selling point. The anime maintains everything that's good, and improves on everything else.

I just hope it covers the manga until some sort of conclusion.

This may sound like I'm a pretty harsh critic of the manga, well, without having seen the anime, I don't think I would be. Seen by itself the manga has all the merit. It's just that I can't find a fault with the anime compared to the manga at all, I can only find bonuses, so the winner is clear until the anime finishes before the manga does.

Edit: Interestingly enough it all changes when you read ahead. I don't notice any flaws in the manga as soon as I haven't see it all before. Now it'll be interesting to find out if I still think the anime is better if I've read the manga first.
Brainpiercing
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

Claymore is now my favorite NEW anime story is really good, even if we dont know half of it now, and the animation is great to boot :twisted: Got to love cute chicks swinging big s.w..or...d....s..... that doesnt sound right but you know what I mean :D
Thank you sir, may I have another :twisted: :whip:
Loeviz
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Loeviz »

This anime really kicks a** :D
One of the few animes I look forward to nowadays, so gimme this weeks new one tonight. Please :P hehe

Grahf
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Grahf »

RIFUL, RIFUL, RIFUL, RIFUL.
"Context is for Kings"
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

Already?
Brainpiercing
Loeviz
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Loeviz »

Well cant say I got a little surprise in episode 14, although I also got a little bit disapointed.

[spoiler]The Ophelia fight was an easy kill, a bit strange since she was so strong earlier.
Sure Clare got a little powerup from Irenes arm, but I find it hard that she got so much power so she can kill an awakened all by herself just like that....[/spoiler]

Grahf
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Grahf »

Brainpiercing wrote:Already?

I saw her in the preview for episode 15.
Loeviz wrote:Well cant say I got a little surprise in episode 14, although I also got a little bit disapointed.

[spoiler]The Ophelia fight was an easy kill, a bit strange since she was so strong earlier.
Sure Clare got a little powerup from Irenes arm, but I find it hard that she got so much power so she can kill an awakened all by herself just like that....[/spoiler]
Its not so much a power up or someone being stronger. Its more or less the specific power someone has. Remember what she said when she brought out the rippling sword. That if it was anyone other than her that Clare would have done well (which really is a crock considering Galatea and Raphelia being nightmare matchups for Clare).
"Context is for Kings"
newbified
n00b Smasher

Post by newbified »

Not to mention that Ophelia almost wanted her to win and even cheered her on at one point.

We get to see Jean and Galatea next episode I bet :D
Steeples scrape the sky, Praising God.
Everything here exists for God, is sacrificed to God.
For those who have nothing to sacrifice,
It can be a very heartless city indeed.
Loeviz
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Loeviz »

Oh saw now I forgot to add one question here :D

[spoiler]Did Ophelia give Clare some of her "power" now when she was defeated? She said she gave Clare her resolve if she won, resolve dont really mean that she was going to give her something in particular but you never know if I missed something there :P[/spoiler]

Grahf
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Grahf »

Loeviz wrote:Oh saw now I forgot to add one question here :D

[spoiler]Did Ophelia give Clare some of her "power" now when she was defeated? She said she gave Clare her resolve if she won, resolve dont really mean that she was going to give her something in particular but you never know if I missed something there :P[/spoiler]
No.
"Context is for Kings"
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

[spoiler]If it's like in the manga, Ophelia was pretty disgusted at herself for awakening, and didn't really want to live on like that. She did give Clare her job of hunting down all awakened beings. She didn't give her any power, except perhaps some experience and confidence.[/spoiler]
Brainpiercing
Grahf
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Grahf »

Riful! I thought they did Riful just perfect with the childish voice and all. Next episode should be great.
"Context is for Kings"
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

The abysmal ones are cool. Isley FTW!