Rumors of Starcraft 2?

Welcome to the official EG Gaming Buzkashi League (EGBL).

Moderator: EG Members

psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

newbified wrote:I for one, hope it's the release information for Diablo 3, and not Starcraft 2.
Agreed. Diablo... MMO :twisted:
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Starcraft was a good game, but it was only a copy of Warcraft, Age of Empires and Command & Conquer. I would prefer if they announce something different.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
raoh
imanewbie

Post by raoh »

War Machine wrote:Starcraft was a good game, but it was only a copy of Warcraft, Age of Empires and Command & Conquer. I would prefer if they announce something different.
blasphemy!(or good troll) SC/BW has been massively successful and celebrated for a good reason. the balance was almost perfect, the variations in strategies, the level in skill (not gonna lie, i sucked but i still appreciate it), how unique each race was given the balance, etc. you may aswell say all those games you listed there were only copies of dune 2. just because they didnt invent the RTS genre with it, it doesnt mean its not amazing.

i would love to see a new diablo game but after playing world of workcraft for a good 18 months i pray its not an mmo
Deathbringer
n00b eater

Post by Deathbringer »

i would love to see a new diablo game but after playing world of workcraft for a good 18 months i pray its not an mmo
Yeah me too, i´d rather have a normal Diablo game than another MMO.
newbified
n00b Smasher

Post by newbified »

I seriously doubt Blizzard would put the resources into making another MMO. That would be an awful lot of support staff that they would have to hire once again.
Steeples scrape the sky, Praising God.
Everything here exists for God, is sacrificed to God.
For those who have nothing to sacrifice,
It can be a very heartless city indeed.
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

newbified wrote:I seriously doubt Blizzard would put the resources into making another MMO. That would be an awful lot of support staff that they would have to hire once again.

They hire a bunch of guys out of my school to be GMs. Blizzard HQ is just down the street from me. They get a ton of applicants.
ZoddsNo1Fan
This is my new home

Post by ZoddsNo1Fan »

GC 2006: StarCraft 2 Hints Dropped?
Is StarCraft 2 currently in the works? What other titles does Blizzard have stashed away for both PC and console?
by Tal Blevins
August 24, 2006 - While our meeting with Blizzard Chief Operating Officer Paul Sams today at the German Games Convention mainly focused on The Burning Crusade, the upcoming expansion for World of Warcraft, we did ask him about what the future holds in store for Blizzard, and specifically about StarCraft 2.

"StarCraft is my absolutely favorite game of all time," Sams told us. "As you probably already know, there is no doubt that we will continue the StarCraft and Diablo franchise, and trust me, I will be the happiest person in the world when we announce StarCraft 2."

While Sams wasn't ready to spill the beans just yet, he did say Blizzard "will have a major product announcement in 2007," and that Blizzard was currently working on at least three other unannounced titles at the moment.

In terms of what these games could be, we asked if they would fall in line with the major success Blizzard has had with World of Warcraft. "I want to be clear that we're not just content to be an MMO company," Sams explained. "Some other companies get into the role of making just MMOs, but Blizzard lets the developers pick what they want to work on, and it's not all MMOs."

When asked about StarCraft: Ghost, Sams said that it was on indefinite hold, but that Blizzard wasn't averse to exploring further console development in the future. "We've been up to MS and they've been at our office talking about Vista and 360," Sams said, "and we're certainly excited about some of the tools they have to offer in the console world as well as with Vista and DirectX 10. However, with our own online gaming service, we're going to pick and choose what we want to use; we're going to protect Battle.net and make sure Battle.net ranks supreme."
http://pc.ign.com/articles/727/727892p1.html

So its gonna be something BIG. If you put two and two together:"major product" and the Korean WWI equals Starcraft 2!

You have to go to teamliquid.net and just read the entire first page of Starcraft events. The league(s) is really just amazing. This site has hundreds of pages going years back in Starcraft events, it gives you a feeling for how serious the Koreans are about Starcraft.
http://teamliquid.net/?currentpage=1&topic_id=0
Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

StarCraft MMO blasts into orbit
Blizzard's new sci-fi MMO is set to rock the world later this month, CVG has learned

The long-rumoured new instalment of Blizzard's massive StarCraft series is set to be unveiled later this month - and it's another massively-multiplayer online game in the style of World of Warcraft, CVG can reveal.

Well placed US sources have revealed to us that the StarCraft MMO will be unveiled at an upcoming Blizzard event on May 19 in South Korea - the epicentre of the sci-fi RTS series' rabid fandom.

The unveiling of the new instalment has previously been rumoured for the South Korea event, though we now know that the title is in fact an online spin-off and not a new RTS game as previously assumed.

Of course this is massive news for both Vivendi and the MMO world; Blizzard's other online offering World of Warcraft has topped 6 million subscribers and is arguably the biggest game around today.

The question is, is there room for both World of Warcraft and a StarCraft MMO? The later will have to be a very different type of online game to convince gamers to subscribe to both of Blizzard's pair.

We will of course let you know as soon as soon as Blizzard officially confirms the game on May 19.

[url]http://www.computerandvideogames.com....php?id=163207[/url]
stolen from NeoGaf oh and there is no god...
raoh
imanewbie

Post by raoh »

i hope thats fake info in that quote because as much as i love SC/BW i would not find a SC based mmo at all appealing and THQ is working on a warhammer 40k mmo, which has a much deeper storyline and loads more potential
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

all I gotta say is 'ha ha ha ha'

Its another MMO, and I hope they nail the sci-fi genre mmo like they did WoW.
Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

raoh wrote:i hope thats fake info in that quote because as much as i love SC/BW i would not find a SC based mmo at all appealing and THQ is working on a warhammer 40k mmo, which has a much deeper storyline and loads more potential
Too bad, if it is up against Starcraft it will fail.
Deathbringer
n00b eater

Post by Deathbringer »

Already heard that this latest update is fake but of course that i wouldn´t be surprised if it turned out to be true.

Edit: Thought this over a bit, is still 100% rumor.

I mean, another magazine just a week ago said it was a RTS, and even gave details into the races and new classes.

This one this week says it is a MMO, and didn't even have the decency to "give" fake details.

We will not find out what it really is till it is announced, and considering Korea is the location of the announcement, then my guess is it will be an RTS. MMOs are also huge in Korea, but it´s still not has big as the StarCraft RTS fandom...
Last edited by Deathbringer on Sun May 06, 2007 3:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
raoh
imanewbie

Post by raoh »

Malvado wrote: Too bad, if it is up against Starcraft it will fail.
thats what i was thinking :(

so what classes will you be rolling, marine? sci vessel? personally ill go with a carrier
dialdfordesi
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by dialdfordesi »

raoh wrote:so what classes will you be rolling, marine? sci vessel? personally ill go with a carrier
Infested terran. It's all about the kamikaze!
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
ZoddsNo1Fan
This is my new home

Post by ZoddsNo1Fan »

We will see May 19th wont we? If its an MMO you can expect the South Koreans to be mad
Finito
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by Finito »

Seriously, I have yet to play a better RTS than Starcraft BW. I think Blizzard gave a lot of attention to their other names and it should be SC's turn by now.
I believe it's enough MMO with WoW already, come on there is just no end to it and it owns everything.
Diablo just doesnt cut it as much as Starcraft and Warcraft to me, since I get bored after a few playthrough.
I'll be mad at pretty much anything Blizzard releases other than a SC update and it better be pretty damn good.
ZoddsNo1Fan
This is my new home

Post by ZoddsNo1Fan »

Recently, Vivendi gave a presentation to Wall Street. A lot of things were mentioned, but this announcement was a standout: "All Blizzard franchises will become MMOGs." And when they said all, they meant ALL! Along with the bold announcement, they also claim that they now have a model to come up with MMOGs in 3 years, and that they are also backed up by a $50 Million budget.

They would be presenting two types of MMOG markets aimed for everyone from the busy executive to the hardcore gamers. The first is the long session games (more than two hours per session) and short session games (less than two hour sessions.) They will also be rolling out a bunch of short session games under the Sierra Online brand. An example is FreeStyle, a pick-up basketball online game scheduled for 2007 release. No details on pricing model for the short session games were announced though.

The "more games and less gamers per game" scenario is something that seems to not be a threat to the company, well if stockbrokers knew more about gaming, then maybe they would have booed the idea right at that moment (ha, ha)!

Blizzard quickly denied the rumors by saying "that rumor is not true in regard to Blizzard...We (Blizzard) believe that the rumor circulating about this subject is based on a misinterpretation of information provided to industry analysts." They also denied that they are developing any MMOGs as of the moment by saying loud and clear that they " do not currently have any MMO development plans beyond the upcoming expansion for World of Warcraft, and furthermore, we don't have any intentions to focus on only one genre or platform with our future games." Nice move indeed!
There will be no MMo Starcraft. Awww thats too bad(Isnt WoW enough?) Starcraft 2 anyone(RTS)?
Deathbringer
n00b eater

Post by Deathbringer »

Really, If Blizzard wanted to announce a StarCraft MMO they could save it till BlizzCon, not announced it as a RTS Invitational, which is going to have all of the best RTS players from around the world.

Its like promoting Hockey at the Super Bowl.
lon3vvolf
n00b Smasher

Post by lon3vvolf »

I shouldn't be surprised if it was a Lost Vikings game. Good times!
ZoddsNo1Fan
This is my new home

Post by ZoddsNo1Fan »

Anyone else see this? http://www.blizzard.com/ Blizzard is counting down the games theyve created. Right now they are on Warcraft 3, tommarro will be WoW and then Saturday will be the big announcement. Whatever it is...isnt it so exciting?
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

ZoddsNo1Fan wrote:isnt it so exciting?
Not really, no.
Deathbringer
n00b eater

Post by Deathbringer »

Femtov2 wrote:Not really, no.

Interesting at best.
ZoddsNo1Fan
This is my new home

Post by ZoddsNo1Fan »

Blizzard's Worldwide Invitational Begins
Updates directly from the show floor.
by Charles Onyett
May 18, 2007 - Editor's note: I'm writing this from a wireless connection on Blizzard' WWI show floor. Their opening ceremony is set to start any minute now. As the ceremony continues there'll be fragmented updates below. Expect more details throughout the presentation unless this wireless connection screws up. Also, expect typos. All timestamps are local time in Seoul, South Korea.

3:00 - FMV sequence in a spaceship - looks Terran - zooming in on a metal door - door opening - reveals a guy with a cigar in chains - prisoner - door shuts behind him - there's so much bass the room is shaking - guy steps into some kind of metallic devicce - legs are strapped in - guy rising toward ceiling - Korean text on screen got people very excited - another part of the machine is dropping metal arms on him - machine whirring - applying armor to his torso - extremly detailed visuals here - now guy is strapping on gloves - armor is molding together - seems like a Terran marine - rockets turn on - zerg now onscreen - Marine delivers a line - StarCraft 2 officially announced.

2:57 - Showing another movie, presumably of game footage.

2:56 - Video over - Morhaime about to make announcement.

2:55 - Now showing WoW footage - more cheers from crowd.

2:52 - Showing WC3 footage. When they showed Diablo footage the Deckard Cain "stay a while an listen" line got a cheer from the crowd.

2:51 - About to show a video now of previous Blizzard titles and WWI's from years past. Morhaime still rambling on with politically correct thanks to the gaming community. Here goes the video for past Blizzard stuff. Nothing exciting yet.

2:50 - Talking about how this is the largest WWI they've had yet - there'll be WoW tourneys as well.

2:49 - Mike Morhaime takes stage to make announcement.

2:47 - Here we go, they're going to announce something.

2:45 - Now they're taking the oath saying they'll play for "for the races of each title" and their home country whom they're representing.

2:42 - The WC3 player pulls it together and delivers a solid address to the crowd, intoducing himself and saying he's glad to be here.

2:41 - Interviewing a WC3 player. Female MC and size of crowd is making him nervous. Another joke in Korean. Now the female MC is complimenting his smile, he's visibly squirming.

2:40 - One of the MCs just tried to explain the joke in English and failed.

2:38 - Now the WC 3 and StarCraft players are taking some sort of "oath." Apparently in the spirit of fair play during the WWI. This is all being said in Korean, but one of the players just made the whole crowd laugh.

2:37 - Shrill screams of adoration are erupting randomly from the stands at the back of the arena.

2:36 - Here come the WarCraft 3 guys. One guy from USA. They're announcing names as well as which race they play in competition.

2:35 - These guys are from all over the world, from Taiwan to Poland. Wearing some kind of hybrid NASCAR / track jackets with advertisements all over them.

2:34 - Now they're introducing the professional gamers who'll be participating in the StarCraft and WarCraft 3 tourneys. More fireworks. No fatalities.

2:31 - Mike Morhaim - president and cofounder of Blizzard introduced. Continuing to introduce people in attendance, they're just sitting in the crowd, though, not approaching the stage. Chris Metzen introduced.

2:30 - Ok, fireworks just went off. Nobody is dead...yet.
Live from the WWI

http://pc.ign.com/articles/788/788627p1.html
raoh
imanewbie

Post by raoh »

yeah ive just been reading it and i sighed with relief as it was announced
ZoddsNo1Fan
This is my new home

Post by ZoddsNo1Fan »