Rumors of Starcraft 2?

Welcome to the official EG Gaming Buzkashi League (EGBL).

Moderator: EG Members

ZoddsNo1Fan
This is my new home

Rumors of Starcraft 2?

Post by ZoddsNo1Fan »

Perhaps the extremely long wait for any anouncement of a sequel to SC(1998) will be ended this year?
[quote] ilovezil United States. April 09 2007 15:32. Posts 635 PM Profile Buddy Quote
Better, the translation is now up! However...I cannot take credit for this work. Everyone thank mk..)) when they have a chance, because when I was asking for translation help, he went ahead and spent his time translating this, which I will be using to explain the Sc2 situation. In his humbleness, however, he said that he wouldn't post this, but leave me to it. Thanks for your awesomeness, mk..))!

The korean
+ Show Spoiler +

e스í
Deathbringer
n00b eater

Post by Deathbringer »

"Kerrigan race"?

What the hell is that supossed to be?

As far as that rumor goes and knowing Blizzard, i´ll only believe it when i see it on their pages.
Starlore
This is my new home

Post by Starlore »

Deathbringer wrote:"Kerrigan race"?

What the hell is that supossed to be?

As far as that rumor goes and knowing Blizzard, i´ll only believe it when i see it on their pages.
Haha I thought the exact same when I read that lol. I agree completely tho...SC2 would be great but I won't get my hopes up
"Your father sucks the flaking cocks of lepers in the lowest circle of HELL!!!"

..."Does he swallow?" ~Hellblazer

"Imagination is intelligence with an erection"~Victor Hugo

"Life is a disease...Sexually transmitted & fatal"~Neil Gaiman
Finito
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by Finito »

Not this year thats for sure.
Muddtoad
imanewbie

Post by Muddtoad »

I remember watching an interview with a Blizzard Employee saying that a sequel for either the Starcraft or Diablo series will be coming out in the next year or so. So I'm pretty sure Starcraft 2, and Diablo 3 will come out someday. The only question is when?
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

Muddtoad wrote:Diablo 3

Hellgate: London will basically be diablo 3. Blizzard North made D2 and their team is the one making HG:L.
Shisho
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by Shisho »

Well that sounds like it's strapped full of bullshit.

Not saying they won't make SC2, but what's so exciting about those features?

The fourth race I would've ever seen coming is that secret protoss/zerg hybrid that Duran was making.
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

better yet, where is the long awaited StarCraft: Ghost?
Vicissitude
Professional Bastard

Post by Vicissitude »

Deathbringer wrote:"Kerrigan race"?
I'm assuming one of two things:

1) A hybrid race consisting of units that take the best genetic traits of various Zerg, Protoss and Terran units.

2) Kerrigan is trying to recreate the Xel'naga and it'll be something entirely different from each of the current armies.
lon3vvolf
n00b Smasher

Post by lon3vvolf »

halfnhalf wrote:better yet, where is the long awaited StarCraft: Ghost?
Ghost? The name is fitting, as the game has been killed in development. You know how Blizzard is about these things.
raoh
imanewbie

Post by raoh »

Source from hanbitsoft who had a relationship with the original starcraft has also commented that he heard such news. Source said " I heard of new starcraft2, as far as I know there will be a new race and couple additional units for each race".
doesnt sound like they are adding anything more than a dawn of war expansion here, which makes me think its not real info (i will be very happy to be wrong on this) ive been a big fan of SC/BW and have heard countless rumors and fake "leaked info" of SC2 over the years. the kerrigan race doesnt sound too original compared to the lame storyline of the forsaken aswell.

they were too slow in making ghost i think, and console development kinda left them stranded or forced to play heavy catchup
lon3vvolf
n00b Smasher

Post by lon3vvolf »

raoh wrote:

they were too slow in making ghost i think, and console development kinda left them stranded or forced to play heavy catchup
Are you serious? You know how blizzard is with releasing games. If they're not confident with a game at any point in its development they'll cancel it or totally redesign it. Ghost was original planned for previous gen consoles, ps2 and xbox, but they were over ambitious which pushed beyond their limit. Then they started retooling the game for next gen consoles... but since it was so long in development and not going anywhere they decided to focus on other projects. From a business standpoint its totaly understandable.
Deathbringer
n00b eater

Post by Deathbringer »

Hum....maybe this has a chance of being legit.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/ar ... ?id=162775

More and more rumors about it, this time from "oficial" webpages.

We all know Korea is the home to the Starcraft Invitationals, where Starcraft is a sport. and according to ThisisGame Starcraft 2 will be announced to the public on May 19th at the Blizzard Worldwide Invitation (WWI).

Well, at least if it´s false, it won´t take much time to be confirmed.
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

I wouldn't hold my breath. Everytime Blizzard.com places a request for programmers and developers everybody starts flipping out about "Diablo 3" or "Starcraft 2" or "World of Starcraft" or "Warcraft 4". In my mind it's more than likely that the "big reveal at Invitational" is going to be another Expansion for WoW.
ImageImage
ZoddsNo1Fan
This is my new home

Post by ZoddsNo1Fan »

StarCraft 2 will be revealed for the first time to the world at Blizzard's World Wide Invitational (WWI) on May 19th.

On the 25th, according to the game developers, it has been confirmed that Blizzard Entertainment Korea (aka Blizzard Korea) will present VODs and game content at the WWI that is starting on May 19th. Also, StarCraft 2's main developers will also attend to answer some questions.

It has been confirmed that StarCraft 2 is being developed in 3D, a new race has been added and existing units' characteristics will have many changes. Additional details will only be revealed to certain parts of WWI.

Blizzard has invited over 100 international media and has prepared both Seoul Olympic Gymnastics Stadium and Fencing Stadium for this event -- the biggest area ever for a short-term game event.

StarCraft 2's announcement preparation is proceeding with secrecy, and only the core group at Blizzard Korea knows the specific details and situation. As they have done in the past, Blizzard is not planning to reveal or release any details for the "best surprise announcement".

However, trustworthy information is being leaked from previous Blizzard employees, and through an acquaintance of ex-Blizzard North employees, StarCraft 2's development and its announcement at the WWI has been confirmed.

Last February 28th, Blizzard president, Mike Morhaime, has hinted that "At the WWI in May, there will be a surprise announcement" for the announcement of a sequel, Blizzard Korea has confirmed, on the 25th, an unrevealed sequel's announcement.

Blizzard Korea's Park Young-Mok director said "There is not content available for answer for the sequel. The sequel will be released at the WWI on the 19th. Please confirm it at the site on the 19th" and denied the confirmation on if StarCraft 2 is indeed the sequel that is to be announced on the 19th.

MBC Game's Lee Sang-Ho head said "Frankly, it's half anticipation and half worry. If SC2 is released in a form that is compatible with e-sports broadcast, there will be many new gamers and the entire industry will develop. However if it comes out in a form that is not easy to broadcast, like WarCraft 3, StarCraft fans will focus on the sequel while the original league will suffer a decline", expressing a cautious mindset.

OnGameNet's StarCraft commentator Um Jae-Kyung said "Blizzard has probably already grasped the difference between this nation's gamers and foreign gamers' difference in inclination through WarCraft 3. So I'm hoping for a more balanced structure, a structure with e-sports in mind. However, I believe that the e-sports league will continue to focus on StarCraft and a new league focusing on StarCraft 2 will form, the industry growing bigger as a result. As a gamer, I'm really looking forward to it.

Blizzard's WWI is on its third year and will take place from May 19th to 20th at the Seoul Olympic Gymnastics Stadium and Weight Lifting Stadium (translator's note: I thought it was fencing? o.O). Many e-sports games as well as events such as WarCraft 3 ladder season 5 Asia region preliminaries, for the first time, a World of Warcraft Arena Tournament Off-line Regional Finals will take place.
The original translation from teamliquid.net.

Note also that Korea is HUGE with Starcraft. Entire Starcraft networks and television airings are dedicated to Starcraft alone! What a better time to announce the sequel to Starcraft then in Korea?

Also notice:
Last February 28th, Blizzard president, Mike Morhaime, has hinted that "At the WWI in May, there will be a surprise announcement" for the announcement of a sequel, Blizzard Korea has confirmed, on the 25th, an unrevealed sequel's announcement.

Blizzard Korea's Park Young-Mok director said "There is not content available for answer for the sequel. The sequel will be released at the WWI on the 19th. Please confirm it at the site on the 19th" and denied the confirmation on if StarCraft 2 is indeed the sequel that is to be announced on the 19th.
They said sequel, not expansion. Why would they announce a sequel to Diablo or Warcraft at a major RTS outing(with the fact that its in Korea-huge starcraft).

Now all we can do is wait(a couple weeks too long) and see if redemption and satisfaction have been made reality.:)
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

According to a Kotaku post yesterday, Blizzard has confirmed that they'll announce a new productat their World Wide Invitation in Korea next month. The statement issued by Blizzard verified that they 'do intend to announce a new product [...] next month" and "plan to revisit [Starcraft] at some point in the future,' but did not confirm the rumor that the new game would be Starcraft 2 — but we can certainly hope."
Deathbringer
n00b eater

Post by Deathbringer »

Psi beat me to it, good to know that some rumors turn out to be legit.

Thing is that if Blizzard is going to announce a new major game in Korea and in a Starcraft tournament the most obvious choice is that is going to be a Starcraft related game, here´s hoping for a Starcraft 2.

Very good news, i´ve been tired of WoW lately.
raoh
imanewbie

Post by raoh »

lon3vvolf wrote: Are you serious? You know how blizzard is with releasing games. If they're not confident with a game at any point in its development they'll cancel it or totally redesign it. Ghost was original planned for previous gen consoles, ps2 and xbox, but they were over ambitious which pushed beyond their limit. Then they started retooling the game for next gen consoles... but since it was so long in development and not going anywhere they decided to focus on other projects. From a business standpoint its totaly understandable.
ah ive been reading blizzard game forums too much so i keep falling for the stuff like that which gets posted over the years. i still play BW/TFT and to be honest i feel like blizzard lost a lot when vivendi took over then bill roper & co left, but they should be freaking loaded with the cash that wow has raked in and they still have rob pardo so im really hopeful about SC2,
ZoddsNo1Fan
This is my new home

Post by ZoddsNo1Fan »

Itzik Ben Bassat, Vice President Business Development and International for Blizzard Entertainment, took the stage at HMV Oxford Street, London, and said some rather revealing words.

"I'm a StarCraft player myself and I hope it's not a decade, and we launched StarCraft in 1998, before I'm standing here again, celebrating the next game in the series," stated Bassat while on stage.
http://www.pro-g.co.uk/news/15-01-2007-4502-1.html

More hints toward when we can expect SC2
raoh
imanewbie

Post by raoh »

(taken from psi's link)
We do intend to announce a new product at the Worldwide Invitational next month in Korea, and we appreciate the enthusiasm and interest in getting an advance look at what that will be, but players will have to wait until May 19th to find out more. Also, we have a very strong connection with the characters and settings of StarCraft, and we do plan to revisit that universe at some point in the future, but we don't have anything new to announce in that regard at present.

im confused, does this mean:
"we have a new product to announce which i am not allowed to speak about yet, but id like to mention that we do have intentions about future starcraft games *wink wink*" or "we have a new product to announce which i am not allowed to speak about yet, but we wont make any starcraft concerning announcements for a while".
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

It is pretty much marketing speak to keep the buzz up.

I for one don't think it will be starcraft II, but another 'product', specific to the Korean market.
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

psi29a wrote:I for one don't think it will be starcraft II, but another 'product', specific to the Korean market.

"Starcraft: Zerg Rush"?
ImageImage
ZoddsNo1Fan
This is my new home

Post by ZoddsNo1Fan »

As to what psi said. Blizzard will make Starcraft 2 a great game while still keeping the Korean market in mind. Rest assured if they have been working on this game for 10 years now it will be one to experience.
lon3vvolf
n00b Smasher

Post by lon3vvolf »

Its offical, Starcraft 2: electric boogaloo, coming out in 2010. Some korean guy told me so.
newbified
n00b Smasher

Post by newbified »

I for one, hope it's the release information for Diablo 3, and not Starcraft 2.
Steeples scrape the sky, Praising God.
Everything here exists for God, is sacrificed to God.
For those who have nothing to sacrifice,
It can be a very heartless city indeed.