Battle Angel Alita

Have a fetish for dead wood comics, or you just like the better story development of the Manga? Post about 'em here.

Moderator: EG Members

Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

When you think about its like he enjoys killing off people that Alita loves.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
RedEyes
n00b Smasher

Post by RedEyes »

seems so :twisted:
by the way if you guys are still looking for the OVAs, here is a link to a torrent file (Vision-Anime release) http://www.vision-anime.com/tracker.php

Anime-4ever is supposed to have their own release, but I couldn't find it. Let me know if you ever find that one...
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

Thanks, I'll try that torrent.

Heh, the anime is actually pretty good. A little short, but well animated. I just don't like Alita's face so much, they sort of accentuated her big eyes and tiny mouth even more.

Well, other than that, it was pretty good.
Brainpiercing
"Beer cures poison" - (almost) Guts.
RedEyes
n00b Smasher

Post by RedEyes »

I have mixed feelings about the anime. It is definitely good to see Alita animated. Although they changed the story a lot, it was at least coherent and most probably the best they could do in 2 episodes. Addition of the female Salem citizen was a nice touch.

But, at the end it didn't give me any motive to go and read the manga and frankly speaking, if I hadn't already read the manga, I wouldn't care a bit about what happens to Alita.

And Alita had red eyes (I liked that :wink:) and purple hair LOL
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

Heh, but for those manga readers who liked to see her animated once it was pretty good.

We can all look forward to James Cameron and his Battle Angel movie, but AFAIK that's still in the concept stages. I just hope Cameron keeps out his typical moral waffle.
Brainpiercing
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Redeyes:

no wonder the ova didnt make you wanna start reading the manga if you didnt already read it cause what can happen in only 2 eps that makes you want more.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

The trouble is I think the OVA finishes on a pretty final note, if it had finished with a slightly more open ending (like a scene of Alita leaving Ido for instance), then it could garner more interest in the manga.

However, as of now I don't think a lot of people find this and haven't read the manga, so it really doesn't matter whether it garners interest or not. Alita/Gunnm is pretty well know already.
Brainpiercing
RedEyes
n00b Smasher

Post by RedEyes »

Libaax, you're right and I'm aware of the problems that comes with a 2ep OVA. But still, Alita was completely isolated from her past during the anime. Although it is a 2ep OVA, they could at least try to make watchers curious about her past by mentioning or hinting at Panzer Kunst and/or memories from Mars. I also agree Brain on the ending, it also isolated Alita from her future in a similar way.

BTW, I'm controlling myself not to check manga raws, but by just looking at the chapter numbers it turns out that we're left pretty behind...

Actually, I do not know a lot about the popularity of the manga. It seems to me that people mostly know/follow pop mangas, or the ones with over the average gore.
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

Well AFAIK the mangaka made enough money with Gunnm to live comfortably, at least that's what it said in the interview, right?

I also think that it may actually be more well known out of Japan, well, I don't really care about that, anyway.

I guess the next translations will come with the volume release, so we'll have to wait a bit more.
Brainpiercing
crazyankan
Mastered PM

Post by crazyankan »

I got translation for phase 46 and phase 32(the first chapter in vol 6). But I don´t have checked it for spelling errors and not edited it yet.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

BAA is pretty famous even if its not the avreage "pop" manga. I started reading cause there isnt many good sci fi mangas and mangas with strong female character. I think thats why BAA is so known.¨

About the raws how many vols or chapters are we actually after Japan?
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

Heh, BAA has it all: A sci-fi theme, CYBORGS (yay, just having cyborgs makes everything cooler), a hot female lead, and REALLY good artwork IMHO.

No, honestly I'm a total sucker for everything that has cyborgs in it. I also want to put my brain into a metal body......:oops:
Brainpiercing
RedEyes
n00b Smasher

Post by RedEyes »

the last raw I saw was chapter 49, so it is either close to the end of vol 8 or the beginning of vol 9.

If you like strong female lead character and cyborgs, you can try the manga "Sirius Scars". It is just 4 vols. I liked it, except the ending.

Back to BAA, the artwork was so different in first couple of volumes. Besides the improvement that happen to most of the mangakas, those volume(s) were so 80's, especially the way characters dress.

Brain, er ... take it easy man :sweat:
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Thanks for the tip about Sirius Scars.

I cant say i love cyborgs but i like sci fi alot.
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

Ok, I'll check this Sirius Scars thing out.

And don't worry... until some mad scientist steps up to me and offers to turn me into a cyborg I won't do anything..... :roll:
Brainpiercing
RedEyes
n00b Smasher

Post by RedEyes »

It is good to hear that Brain is not gonna buy a "turn yourself into a cyborg kit" and mess with himself but wait for a mad scientist. lol

do you guys know other sci-fi manga with ass-kicking female (lead) char in it? I can only think of "Nausicaa" right now.
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

If you can take the 80s style you might want to look at Appleseed (unless of course that's old news to you :)) or GITS by Shirow Masamune. I personally totally didn't buy the GITS manga, somehow the story just didn't hook me, but I'm still patiently waiting for the rest of the 2nd anime series. Appleseed at least has a concise story, although it does get a little weird in places, and the latest movie has pretty good visuals (albeit plot holes the size of frickin Kansas, too.)

If those are all old news then, well... I'll look around a bit. But unfortunately.... most manga with strong female leads is, well, er... hentai :roll:
Brainpiercing
RedEyes
n00b Smasher

Post by RedEyes »

no way, females in most hentai bow down and be subdued quickly when they face a hardness in their life...

I am not a big fan of GITS, I find it boring. I will give Appleseed a try as it is just a movie.
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

naw, you just read the wrong hentai then :twisted:

Go watch the appleseed movie, but take a look at the manga, too. It does get by without quite as many plotholes as the movie.
Brainpiercing
TheDarkness
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by TheDarkness »

RedEyes wrote:I will give Appleseed a try as it is just a movie.
Well then i advise you to watch the new movie... It is 10 times as good as the old one.
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

I don't know the old movie, does that one follow the manga a little closer?
Brainpiercing
TheDarkness
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by TheDarkness »

both of them only follow the basic outline of the story.... kinda like Ghost in the Shell manga and anime. But the second movie is both graphical and as a story way more satisfying
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

Hmm, graphically, sure, it's really nice, although it looks a bit like a computer game.

However, let's not deny that the first half of the movie is totally pointless showing off of their animation skills.
Brainpiercing
RedEyes
n00b Smasher

Post by RedEyes »

I got the DVD of Gundress, so I'll watch it before the Appleseed. I feel like I'm gonna get Masamune Shirow overdose...
TheDarkness
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by TheDarkness »

true first half is mostly jsut showing off but the story get's really well developed in the second half so i don't really mind the show off part