Which Mangas are you reading?

Have a fetish for dead wood comics, or you just like the better story development of the Manga? Post about 'em here.

Moderator: EG Members

Libaax
Of The Abyss

Re: Which Mangas are you reading?

Post by Libaax »

Me its like this:

Teresa - not even close ;)
Clare
Miria
Ophelia- she is a great psycho!
Galatae
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
Grahf
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Grahf »

Yeah Teresa definately is my overall favorite.

Interesting I like Ophelia as well she is very interesting. Really I can't think of one character I don't like in this series. The overall villian really isn't that much of a villian. She was entrusted to do something and she couldn't do it without awakening and really thats the fine line they walk. Teresa had her chances and she didn't take Priscilla down. The Mangaka has done a masterful job with encluding just enough Backstory to every character.
"Context is for Kings"
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Grahf wrote: Really I can't think of one character I don't like in this series.

So you like Raki? I must say im shocked :shock:
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
Grahf
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Grahf »

whats wrong with him? Because he is annoying isn't enough of a reason. He has kept Clare human just as she had made Teresa human again. Well now that I think about it I don't like the guys from the organization too much. The "handlers" for the claymores and the leaders so to speak. Perhaps when the mangaka gets around to it he'll explain their purpose as well.

I started reading Ciguatera its one of those "slice of life/romance" mangas. Its fairly decent if you like romance mangas (the few of you here).
"Context is for Kings"
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

He is usless and it makes the story look stupid with him saying Clare and looking sad at her 100000 per ep. He doesnt anything for Clare other than remind her of her connection with Teresa. Now that he will be back stronger and become uber hero is such a clichè cause that will happen. Only thing to hope for is that he dies and that it changes Clare thats the only interesting thing of him.

He is such a clichè character that it makes the anime/manga looks so stupid in his "big" whining scenes.....
Grahf
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Grahf »

So you have a problem with whatever you can label Cliche? Teresa was cliche as is Clare as is almost every damn anime character in exsistance. Perhaps you missed the episode where Clare was going to go over her limit and Raki went to her and brought her back. I guess that's being useless. Speaking of useless Clare did sooooooo much for Teresa when she was younger. Hell in a sense Clare is the reason Teresa died. Raki hasn't caused anyones death thus far in the manga or anime and he is important Clare so he is doing something right.
"Context is for Kings"
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Well good cliche you dont mind. A bad one that can be annoying.

Teresa,Clare is important to the story. Many chliche characters in anime/manga are great only the bad ones bother you.

Sure he wasnt usless when he brought her back. But the bad thing is that every ep ten mins of it is about him whining to Clare. That is what annoys me. Hopefully he will be gone a couple of eps now.

Clare as a child was quit,didnt bother or risk Teresa when she was in a fight. Hech she didnt think she could save Teresa and attacked a claymore as a certain boy.
Deathbringer
n00b eater

Post by Deathbringer »

Hech she didnt think she could save Teresa and attacked a claymore as a certain boy.
Funny thing is that if Raki hadn´t started that sword duel with Ophelia, they would have both died.
Grahf
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Grahf »

Deathbringer hit it right on the head. Really if Raki wasn't there the whole situation with ophelia could have been handled different. Raki is annoying but that doesn't subtract his importantance in the story.

edit: In the anime Miria told the rest of them about Ophelia and that they should run if they saw her. In the manga she forgets to tell them that they should run. So really if he wasn't there she wouldn't have tried to run (in the manga at least).
"Context is for Kings"
crazyankan
Mastered PM

Post by crazyankan »

Hellsing
Claymore
Berserk
Hajime No Ippo
The new Battle Angel Alita chapters that I have :)
Vinland Saga
FMA
Shin Angyo Onshi
Unbalance X Unbalance
Nausicaä

Not so many right now.
Finito
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by Finito »

Now that I got a job, I can buy books that don't come out scanlated, so I got myself the latest Suikoden 3 volumes and some Kiomaru, which don't have much action involved, but I found them pretty interesting being a big fan of the Suikoden series and Kiomaru got some great art and I found the story entertaining, sad it only last 4 volumes, I hate short series, always feel like a loss.
Archlord is pretty awesome, don't know anything about the RPG, but I think the manhwa is good up till now and its killing art is the shit.
Also started Gangking which as got some good potential, for those who liked mangas like Rokudenashi Blues or Worst, try this one out if you get the chance.

Bought more Baki up to v13 of the 2nd series, if your not into Baki yet, but you love crazy fighting, you should definitely try it at the least.
Grahf
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Grahf »

I just picked up Major. But due to the time skip by the scanlators it caused me to pick up the anime (which is ahead of the scans atm). But overall its a good series I like how there is some realism to it.
"Context is for Kings"
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

I love MAJOR its one of my fav all time animes.

Its very realistic, its not only about the sport. It has alot of good drama,nice comedy,great games. I respect it the same way as i do Hajime No Ippo. Lucky you to be able to start the anime from the start, its a great ride :)

I watch only the anime but when its over im gonna read the manga from vol to current vol. Hopefully by that time the scanlaters has scanlated from the start to current.
Deathbringer
n00b eater

Post by Deathbringer »

So apparently HunterxHunter will start releasing chapters in the near future.

Don´t really care about it but Libaax will probably enjoy this update.
Finito

Post by Finito »

I'm interested in the news, haven't heard of it yet. Is the source any good? I just love HxH.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

I hope its true otherwise is the cruelest thing i have heard !!

Im reading Hajime No Ippo chapters 775-782
Grahf
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Grahf »

I started reading Mirai Nikki. I'm impressed with it so far. One thing that I like is the "idol" isn't always alright in the head. Plus alot of mind games are being played and its similar to Death Note in that regard. Those of you looking for something to pick up check this one out.
"Context is for Kings"
Devil_Dante
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Devil_Dante »

Well here is a complete list of mangas Ive read/Am Reading/Or perhaps even stopped reading:

666Satan
Abara
Abba
Alive
Ares
Basilisk
Battle Royale
Berserk
Biomega
Blade of the immortal
Blame!
Blaster Knuckle
Bleach
D. Gray-Man
Dangu
Death note (not all of it... yet! :P)
Devil May Cry 03
Dragon Head
Gantz
Golden Boy
Hellsing The Dawn
Hellsing
ID
Island
Jackals
Karakuri circus
Kiseijuu
Koroshiya 1
Midori no Hibi
Monster Collection
Monster
MPD Psycho
Naruto
Neon Genesis evengelion
One Piece
Rurouni Kenshin
Samurai Deeper Kyo
Shamo
Ten Ten (stopped it, too many big boobs :P)
The Ravages of Time
Tough
Trigun
Trigun Maximum (vol 3)
Vagabond
Variante
Zetman
Zombie Powder

The next mangas I want to read are: Shin Angyo Onshi, Claymore, Ragnarok,
Deathbringer
n00b eater

Post by Deathbringer »

Looks like the rumors were true, HxH is coming out in October.

http://comipress.com/news/2007/08/30/2564
Finito

Post by Finito »

Well I just broke my tooth on my rock hard dick :shock: (Good news always does that)

Recently reread Change Guy and Gantz, just because their awesome.

Started Lord which I had missed the release when it came out, Ryoichi Ikegami is pretty much always good stuff, especially this one. Kind of like Ravages of Time, but rethinked to Buronson and Ikegami's way.

Also finished reading Sword of the Dark Ones which I started a while back but never finished.
Tonbo
Mastered PM
Location: I am the one who lives in the darkness, and shatters it.

Post by Tonbo »

I just read all 8 volumes of Genshiken today. Waa, so awesome! But tragic, because I found out at the end I have to wait a month for the final volume to be released in the states... argh!!!
Any leads on where I might find the final volume before I get DTs? Raws are OK.

If you don't know what this is but liked Welcome to the NHK, you'll like this a lot as well.
Fuji Nagase

Post by Fuji Nagase »

so i was at the bookstore and i stumbled on a tester version of a manga called ALIVE. because most books are all in plastic here i jumped at the chance to read it and i actually like it. the covers interested me first because it had a really...uh, Jiro Matsumoto feel. (the guy who made uncivilized planet, keep on vibrating, freesia ect) if i explain the story itll seem really not so good, but in fact it is once you get about halfway through the first vol. then it slows down in 2, but i have high hopes.

ive also been finding some of Miuras old stuff that is mentioned around here sometimes. its not bad at all, but i prefer Miuras art now to then personally.

ive stumbled on a lot of random stuff and even found a FSS(five star stories) art book! it was so expensive but really cool. FSS is pretty old stuff but from what i hear wonderful. ive only read a little but the designs are really interesting.

im also re-reading berserk in japanese versions/collectiong them if i dont have them in eng in the US. of course i cant read all that difficult kanji but ive read it in eng so i know whats going on of course. i love the orig japanese print quality of manga in japan. it always makes berserk look so much better i think. the beloved scans are of course amazing and Dark horse is great, but i think it looks much better in japanese version. of course...bad part is i cant read most kanji worth shit right now but its okay.

sad-cannot get berserk right now...no computer. i use my host father's so no dl. T.T
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Just got my first 10 books of Berserk Max (first 20 volumes of the manga) today from amazon, so I can read them offline too now. :D
Funny thing is, its translated into german, and sometimes they forgot to translate some bubbles, like some "Fuck" or "Thank you" and there still are editing errors ever 20 pages or so...

But what bothers me most is the translation of some titles. So Guts is now instead of the Black Swordsman "der Schwarze Ritter" - the Black Knight. And of course Skull Knight is Skeleton Knight... and although I can just read through that and translate the titles back in my head, the bothersome thing is with Guts suddenly being a Black Knight, he says to Azan in their first fight "I never was a Knight. Guts, just Guts."
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

Berserk (own books 1 to 19 in English, and 21 and 22 in Japanese)
Fire Emblem (my bro brought a ton back from Japan)
Inuyasha (not horrible for the start of the manga)
Ranma 1/2
I"s (pronounced eyes)
Street Fighter
Hana Kimi
Hot Gimmick
Deus Vitae
Boys of Summer

Hot Gimmick is really funny, even though it's a shojo. A lot of the non yaoi ones are. The yaoi ones are just creepy.
Audentis Fortuna Juvet - Virgil
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Libaax wrote:He is usless and it makes the story look stupid with him saying Clare and looking sad at her 100000 per ep. He doesnt anything for Clare other than remind her of her connection with Teresa. Now that he will be back stronger and become uber hero is such a clichè cause that will happen. Only thing to hope for is that he dies and that it changes Clare thats the only interesting thing of him.

He is such a clichè character that it makes the anime/manga looks so stupid in his "big" whining scenes.....
Basically he plays the role of the whiny girl companion, common in other Manga's.
Let's put a smile on that face...............