Which Mangas are you reading?

Have a fetish for dead wood comics, or you just like the better story development of the Manga? Post about 'em here.

Moderator: EG Members

Starnum
Elven King

Re: Which Mangas are you reading?

Post by Starnum »

I hear you Libaax. I read the first volume as well, and even though I enjoyed it, it's way too similar to Berserk. I say that's one of the man things it has going for it, really. I look forward to seeing the rest, but it could never compare to Berserk. Still looks to be a good seinen though. ;)
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Its still good and fun read.

But its the first time i saw a clear rip off.

Its a shame the first time i saw a black main character and the manga was short lived despite Berserk influence.

I wonder if its as the credits say it dying cause the japanese arent too hot on a black hero.

I mean its not bad and i have seen alot worse that have survived for many years.

I like his boxning.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
Deathbringer
n00b eater

Post by Deathbringer »

Whoa, whoa whoa, a Berserk rip off where the main guy is black?

You don´t see that every day. Or ever.

I gotta read this.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

I like it cause of the guy being Black boxer and even a Guts copy is cool ;)

Having read the only vol of it out there.

Im gonna read Monster.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
Grahf
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Grahf »

Blaster Knuckle is good thanks for the reference. It may be a bite off but then again most series are that way. At least its using a series that great. Of course I'm glad to see that they have a black guy as the main character.

As for Japanese not being hot towards black heros. Part of me wants to say they aren't but then another part of me wants to believe that they're better than that. Its probably a little bit of both. *shruggs*
"Context is for Kings"
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Who knows for sure, but no matter how you look at it, Victor Freeman is one cool dude. I mean, he's modeled after Gatts, he has to be, heh. I love the boxing too, you can tell he's a real pro. I wonder if the mangka reads Ippo too. :P
Catherwood
imanewbie

Post by Catherwood »

Libaax wrote:I like it cause of the guy being Black boxer and even a Guts copy is cool ;)
Having read the only vol of it out there.
Im gonna read Monster.
You should definitely read Monster, I’m on volume 6 and it’s really good. The only problem is it has 18 volumes, and that seems a tad long to me.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

I have read Monster for years now :P
Finito
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by Finito »

Started reading Heat and Karasuma Kyouko, both enjoyable. Read more P.K, Demon King, Dragon Hunter which I dont recommend to anyone older than 10.
square-enix
imanewbie

Post by square-enix »

Finito wrote:Started reading Heat and Karasuma Kyouko, both enjoyable. Read more P.K, Demon King, Dragon Hunter which I dont recommend to anyone older than 10.
Anyone 10 or younger wouldn't be on Evil-Genius. To busy with Naruto, you know.
Catherwood
imanewbie

Post by Catherwood »

You never know. I was only about 11 or 12 when I first got on Evangelion, and it's a slippery slope into otakudom from there.
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Catherwood wrote:You never know. I was only about 11 or 12 when I first got on Evangelion, and it's a slippery slope into otakudom from there.

Jail bait.
zindryr
imanewbie

Post by zindryr »

Figured I'd toss in a small response to the Blaster Knuckle mentions.

Miura and Wazarai are high school buddies, along with Mori Kouji, the author of Holyland. Wazarai and Mori were also Miura's assisstants at some point in time. That probably explains the similarities to Beserk that Blaster Knuckle contains.

In any case, it is definitely a fun 3 volumes. It could have gone on for a lot longer and I'd have seriously enjoyed it if it had. But oh well, such is life.

Also, about the thing in the credits, I was just making shit up. I have no idea why Blaster Knuckle was cancelled. It could have been cancelled because it was too similar to Beserk or it just plain wasn't popular because of the Wesern'ish theme. Who knows.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Yeah, I don't think it was a race issue. Anyway, I appreciate anyone who can add to the manga community. So have the 2nd and 3rd volumes been scantilated yet, or is that still something to look forward to?

Also, I'm now reading Claymore. I think it's really cool stuff. ;)
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

zindryr wrote:Figured I'd toss in a small response to the Blaster Knuckle mentions.

Miura and Wazarai are high school buddies, along with Mori Kouji, the author of Holyland. Wazarai and Mori were also Miura's assisstants at some point in time. That probably explains the similarities to Beserk that Blaster Knuckle contains.

In any case, it is definitely a fun 3 volumes. It could have gone on for a lot longer and I'd have seriously enjoyed it if it had. But oh well, such is life.

Also, about the thing in the credits, I was just making shit up. I have no idea why Blaster Knuckle was cancelled. It could have been cancelled because it was too similar to Beserk or it just plain wasn't popular because of the Wesern'ish theme. Who knows.

I knew something was fishy with your "fake" history :lol:

Keep up the good work man. Its a fun manga to read.

I didnt think it was canceled cause of race cause of your credits.

I think that there is a reason why there arent black main characters in other mangas. They dont wanna see a black character as the hero, they want more like the generic black cool guy in supporting role alà Bob in TT. Sterotypes of race.
zindryr
imanewbie

Post by zindryr »

Starnum wrote:Yeah, I don't think it was a race issue. Anyway, I appreciate anyone who can add to the manga community. So have the 2nd and 3rd volumes been scantilated yet, or is that still something to look forward to?
The second volume has been translated and basic proofread entirely, just waiting on my typesetter/cleaner to do the rest of the work on that. I'll be starting on the third volume at some point in the next few days.

Libaax wrote: I think that there is a reason why there arent black main characters in other mangas. They dont wanna see a black character as the hero, they want more like the generic black cool guy in supporting role alà Bob in TT. Sterotypes of race.
Yeah. That's pretty much why I really do think it was cancelled, (and yes, I'm pretty sure it was cancelled rather than just ended). I mean, the last chapter isn't really a cliffhanger, but it's definitely a foreshadowing of things to come. There could have easily been more. But I think the readers just didn't really want a black main character.

Also, should we start a thread for this?
Deathbringer
n00b eater

Post by Deathbringer »

Also, I'm now reading Claymore. I think it's really cool stuff.
Wise choice my friend, make yourself a favor and start reading from the point episode 12 left off, the manga is pretty much the same prior to that.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

zindryr wrote:
Starnum wrote:Yeah, I don't think it was a race issue. Anyway, I appreciate anyone who can add to the manga community. So have the 2nd and 3rd volumes been scantilated yet, or is that still something to look forward to?
The second volume has been translated and basic proofread entirely, just waiting on my typesetter/cleaner to do the rest of the work on that. I'll be starting on the third volume at some point in the next few days.

Libaax wrote: I think that there is a reason why there arent black main characters in other mangas. They dont wanna see a black character as the hero, they want more like the generic black cool guy in supporting role alà Bob in TT. Sterotypes of race.
Yeah. That's pretty much why I really do think it was cancelled, (and yes, I'm pretty sure it was cancelled rather than just ended). I mean, the last chapter isn't really a cliffhanger, but it's definitely a foreshadowing of things to come. There could have easily been more. But I think the readers just didn't really want a black main character.

Also, should we start a thread for this?
Yeah we should make a thread. The manga isnt over for us yet so there are prolly things to talk about.
Grahf
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Grahf »

Deathbringer wrote:
Also, I'm now reading Claymore. I think it's really cool stuff.
Wise choice my friend, make yourself a favor and start reading from the point episode 12 left off, the manga is pretty much the same prior to that.

Yeah they have done a great job of staying true I must say.

I loved Teresa. I just had to throw that in there.
"Context is for Kings"
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Grahf wrote:I loved Teresa. I just had to throw that in there.
I feel you man, she was the shit. Before the flashback I didn't really feel much for Clare, but now its like I really know her a lot better and can feel for her, you know. Good shit, and heh, yeah, I started right around where the anime left, and have almost read all the manga that's out. By the way, I think Isley is pretty cool too. ;)
Grahf
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Grahf »

of the Three ones I'm more of a Riful fan. I find her quite hillarious. Sorta like Ophelia just not mental.
"Context is for Kings"
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Teresa made the story alot better She had such a cool look in her eyes. her voice were great and that fight she kicked ass against those so called one digit Claymore heck they were worse than Clare compared to Teresa ;)
Grahf
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Grahf »

Libaax wrote:Teresa made the story alot better She had such a cool look in her eyes. her voice were great and that fight she kicked ass against those so called one digit Claymore heck they were worse than Clare compared to Teresa ;)

Nah they would have kicked the shit out the Clare thats in the anime now. Remember Clare has Teresa in her as opposed to getting a yoma's flesh so she isn't exactly half and half. ;) But she does have some of Teresa's ability sooooooooo yeah that does make up for hell of alot. That should answer your question from the other thread concerning why Clare is number 47.
"Context is for Kings"
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

No No what i mean is that Teresa was soo good that the other four of the top 5 was like four Clare, in other words they looked like weak noobies compared to Teresa ;)

I was actually dissing Clare there cause she is still pretty weak despite the recen anime ep. Where she is getting to learn Teresa's sensing Yoki move and getting stronger.
Grahf
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Grahf »

o alright my fault. I do have to say though of all living Claymores my favorites don't include Clare at this point. I like Miria and Galatea. Though Clare does have her strong points at times.
"Context is for Kings"