Seinen Manga

Have a fetish for dead wood comics, or you just like the better story development of the Manga? Post about 'em here.

Moderator: EG Members

ZombieToaster
Mastered PM

Post by ZombieToaster »

Aldarion wrote:How come no one mentioned Tsutomu Nihei's works?
He´s to good to be mentioned by mere mortals :lol:
Groovy!
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

Aldarion wrote:How come no one mentioned Tsutomu Nihei's works?
Because this is the forum of a group which scanlates Biomega, so Nihei's awesomeness does not really need vocal acknowledgment?
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

It is a manga section, however there isn't much to talk about in biomega and etc so no need for it's own forum area. So, yeah, post your questions here or look for (if you can't find it) start a Nihei thread.
Lariel
imanewbie

Post by Lariel »

Hi,

sorry for putting this just in here... :oops: But I don't have enough posts right now and I only want to make a request...

I'm a member of a German fansub and scanlation group. We have scans of Tsukasa Hojo's Cat's Eye - hey, it's actually a seinen manga -, but no Japanese translator right now. It's not very known in English speaking countries because there is no English version of the anime either. Since you are doing Hojo's Angel Heart, I thought you could be interested in doing Cat's Eye, too. What's it about? Look it up here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat%27s_Eye_%28manga%29 We can support you with really HQ scans. Are you interested?

Phoenix
ZombieToaster
Mastered PM

Post by ZombieToaster »

Well im not a member of the EG crew. But damn, anything by mr "city hunter" must be scanlated :3
Groovy!
Devil_Dante
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Devil_Dante »

Lariel wrote:Hi,

sorry for putting this just in here... :oops: But I don't have enough posts right now and I only want to make a request...

I'm a member of a German fansub and scanlation group. We have scans of Tsukasa Hojo's Cat's Eye - hey, it's actually a seinen manga -, but no Japanese translator right now. It's not very known in English speaking countries because there is no English version of the anime either. Since you are doing Hojo's Angel Heart, I thought you could be interested in doing Cat's Eye, too. What's it about? Look it up here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat%27s_Eye_%28manga%29 We can support you with really HQ scans. Are you interested?

Phoenix
Perhaps you have allready been pm'ed, but still if you have not been pm'ed, pm Mr psi29, Dr eldo or perhaps even Lord Mune (he would only respond if you have gay intentions though, lol jk)
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

thanks for the PM notification, its been forwarded along to the group and we will see in a bit and let you know what we think about the manga.
dronedevil
notanewb

Post by dronedevil »

The seinen manga I like are-
lady snowblood
path of the assassin
ghost in the shell
basilisk
berserk
warriors of tao

Some seinen titles I'm curious about are-
mpd psycho
Satsuma Gishiden (any idea on how good the dh version of this title would be helpful ^.^)
lone wolf & cub
samurai executioner
Finito
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by Finito »

I think M-S scanned the first volume of Satsuma Gishiden.
Devil_Dante
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Devil_Dante »

Finito wrote:I think M-S scanned the first volume of Satsuma Gishiden.
true b/c I already read it 3 months ago...
miyagiCE
Tastes like burning!

Post by miyagiCE »

What in the thousand planes of hell!?

You dare call this a Seinen thread and do not explicitly recommend 20th Century Boys? Be ashamed of yourself. No, seriously. Go.
Ahem, because I'm lazy, and because I'm only here to whine, I'll paste a shitty summary from the scanlator's website that does not, in any way, give a proper feeling for the story. Scanlations were started by Mangascreener and picked up by Manga-Heaven once they dropped it.
Plot Summary wrote:Kenji and his old friends are slowly being drawn into a mysterious conspiracy that could threaten the world. Who is the mysterious "Friend" and how does he tie into Kenji's youth? Why are there disappearances and deaths tied into Ochanomizu University? The friends' memories hold the keys to the puzzle, but years between cloud the clues.
As for other manga you should read, put Old Boy by Tsuchiya Garon on your list. Here's another plot summary, this time written by my glorious self. Scanlations can be found done by Blackout and N U L L.
Plot Summary wrote:Goto Shin'ichi is a man imprisoned for no apparent reason for almost a third of his life.

Neither does he know who has ordered to hold him captive nor why--the only thing he really is aware of is the fact that the windowless room he's in is not part of a normal prison. What's keeping him sane and alive for all that time are the daily chinese meals he gets fed through a shutter in the door, and the massive bodybuilding he decides to spend his time on.

By-and-by he seems to lose all identity he once held; his name, his fiancée, his friends; everything--until he suddenly gets released.

But that's merely where things get started. He begins a new life in search of his kidnappers; and he wants to find them, no matter what...
Last but certainly not least, there is Pluto -- done by the same genius responsible for 20th Century Boys, Monster, and many more -- Urasawa Naoki. With his perfect narrative skills, his wicked plots, and those lovely characters from the so-called Walt Disney of Japan, Dr. Tezuka Osamu, he creates an epic you don't want to miss. Scanlations available from Mangascreener. Here's a summary I stole from some site.
Plot Summary wrote:In the years since humans and robots first started living together, there has only been one murder of a human by a robot. Eight years after that incident, investigators are called to a crime scene to investigate the death of a prominent robot rights supporter. The state of the victim, having been murdered in a brutal fashion and left with decorative horns on his head, draws a chilling parallel to the death of the robot hero Montblanc. When accidental footage of the scene reveals that the killer was a robot so advanced that it could pass for a human, the robot investigator Gesicht begins his search for not only the killer, but the truth to his own past and the events of the 39th Central Asian Conflict.

PS: Berserk sucks; I mean it.
Finito

Post by Finito »

miyagiCE wrote:PS: Berserk sucks; I mean it.
Well, considering Berserk is the main subject and what brought this forum to life, do you mind telling us what brought you to this forum. I mean its not like any other EG project can compare to Berserk.

I'll give Old Boy a try, saw the movie and it was overall pretty boring, but it still had some good stuff, the manga should be better too. I'll be reading Old Boy till I'm done with it for the rest of the day...
miyagiCE
Tastes like burning!

Post by miyagiCE »

EG has plenty of interesting series in its repertoire. Biomega, NHK, or Zetman are just ongoing examples. There have been others, dropped or finished, in the past which have been as appealing, though.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Old Boy it isnt exactly the same as the movie right?
miyagiCE
Tastes like burning!

Post by miyagiCE »

It's got the same theme over all, but yes, looking at it in detail, it's very different.
Finito

Post by Finito »

Bah, the manga is pretty boring as well to me. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who likes action like I do or you'll probably drop dead.
It's not like the mystery was interesting, the plot was ok, but the paste made it horrible and the manga is filled with useless details. The characters act so unrealistically that you cant really relate to their retardness. I was more mad against the main character acting dumb than the bad guy playing is ridiculous game.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Seinen owns the manga world, IMO. Then again, I'm a 23-year-old male, heh. *shrugs*
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Re: Seinen Manga

Post by Libaax »

Hey i liked Seinan mangas when i was in Shonen age :lol:

Finito: Nobody watches or reads story like Old Boy for action. The movie is in my top ten all time movies, i liked that much that the manga is a must for me.

I wonder if its licensed and i can read the books.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
ryusenka
This is my new home

Post by ryusenka »

I'm still in my diapers compared to all of you guys and seinen is my favorite genre. What, with works life Berserk, Monster, and Vagabond, nothing can compare with the storyline and art. Berserk and vagabond are my top two favorite seinen manga, the best action and plot arranged with east and west settings, awesome.

Monster is also pretty good throughout the story, but the ending kinda dissapointed me.

There's more on my seinen list but the other ones bored me out of my mind. That's the thing with mature storylines, they usually scare non-seinen folks lots and lots and lots of reading. ADD doesn't go well with too much reading.
"Understand that it's just a person - not worth devoting any nightmares to." - JTHM
hisoka9000
imanewbie

Post by hisoka9000 »

I luv Seinen though it's for "young male" <though i'm young female, i prefer seinen to josei > I read both BERSERK and 20th century boys. Though I like them both and they r my #1 and #2 manga. The fact is that i admire 20th CB but only BERSERK can i read again such many times. BERSERK rules. MPD Psycho is just lame IMO, exaggerating everything , trying cool but unreal.
Try Homunculus , it's good.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Welcome Hisoka :D

Yeah Berserk rules!!
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran