PS3 Thread

Welcome to the official EG Gaming Buzkashi League (EGBL).

Moderator: EG Members

dialdfordesi
I live in a giant bucket.

Re: PS3 Thread

Post by dialdfordesi »

The PS3 slim is announced and looks...not as cool as the original. Doesn't have backwards compatibility like the other newer SKUs. It doesn't matter too much on how it looks, though, because all the current SKUs are now 300 bucks!
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/08/18/sony- ... k-of-sept/

Trust me, I'm a doctor!
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

dialdfordesi wrote:Doesn't have backwards compatibility like the other newer SKUs.
None of them do, only the original SKUs and then the later 80GB SKU. But none of the SKUs sold since July 2008 have BC.

Anyway, kinda cool that they're finally dropping the price.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
dialdfordesi

Post by dialdfordesi »

Yeah my word order messed that up, I meant that like the other new SKUs, it lacks BC. I'm pretty stoked about the price drop because more of my friends will be inclined to get a PS3 :D
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Hmm, I've seen another shot of the new slim PS3 some weeks ago, which didn't look that cheap like the one posted above. Don't like the plastic look and the cheap buttons. But, if it makes it more accessible to the masses, Sony deserves it. I still think that 600 Euros was an acceptable price at launch for a Bluray player with the best console hardware that exists in it. But of course, at such a price (especially with DVD still prevalent on the market and Blu-Ray being rather nichê) only hardcore gamers and multimedia-geeks would get one. Such as me. I fucking love how the PS3 is my hifi system, my movie and mp3 storage (yay 1TB external HD) and player, streams audio and video from all over the house/net on the big screen, lets me surf the internet rather comfortable from my couch, gives me the option to run linux on it, while being a rad gaming station at heart. Oh and it looks sweet with the black shining and all :D. Too bad I "only" bought mine some month after launch, so I only got the SKU (which, according to wikipedia, means either Stock-keeping unit or the Young Communist League of Sweden - I prefer the latter :P) without backwards compatibility.

Though what I still don't really understand, the ones without hardware PS2 emulate were/are supposed to have software emulation at least (I've read something like 40-60% of the PS2 games will run on that) - but apparently only the US ever got the software emulation SKUs and never the EU. WTF.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

So Prototype is fuggin badass. I mean, what more do I really need to say? I love the free roaming aspect. I love the super human parkour (look it up :P) and powers, it's all just freakin sweet! It"s like the Spiderman 3 game, only waaay better. I especially enjoy the blade arm and the armor. He looks like something right out of a Japanese Sentai anime, and that rocks, IMO. Really makes Alex feel like a super hero at that point, a badass one. Haven't beaten it yet, still trying to get gold on all the side missions and what-not, but I'm really glad I borrowed this from a friend and tried it out. I'd been wanting to play it for a while. I might have to get myself a clean used copy after I give this one back. XD
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

I got Batman: Arkham Asylum for the PS3 and it's fucking amazing.

Combat is weak but everything else is just brilliant.

For someone that's become disillusioned with gaming, this is a pleasant surprise.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Femto wrote:I got Batman: Arkham Asylum for the PS3 and it's fucking amazing.

Combat is weak but everything else is just brilliant.

For someone that's become disillusioned with gaming, this is a pleasant surprise.
Combat is weak? That's the greatest thing in the game, what are you talking about? You just haven't gotten the hang of it. I agree though, Batman: AA is awesome.

Also, I hear that the new free DLC that's coming up are going to be the extra challenge maps that you would've gotten if you had bought the collector's edition from Gamestop (i.e. the Dem Bones Challange Map and Crime Alley Challenge Map).
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

War Machine wrote:Combat is weak? That's the greatest thing in the game, what are you talking about? You just haven't gotten the hang of it. I agree though, Batman: AA is awesome.
Press Square to do every combo, press Triangle to counter? What's great about that. That's exactly what made combat in Assassins Creed boring as hell.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Later enemies carry weapons which you cannot counter, and most groups will have at least one enemy with such a weapon, try playing any of the combat challenges with that strategy and you'll see you won't even beat the lowest score. The game encourages you to vary the combo (doing so nets you extra experience in the main game, and extra points in the challenges), you can use batarangs, the batclaw, stun them, jump over them and then do the special attacks all within the combo. Have any of you done the Freeflow Perfection or the Freeflow Combo 40 trophies? No? Then you know nothing about the combat.

Aside from that, how many games have you seen where battling multiple opponents actually works? Assassin's Creed combat is a goddamned turn based card game. In this game, enemies don't wait for you, they go at you regardless of who you're attacking and even combo you (say someone punches you in the back and then someone else hits you with a tube right after), and Batman responds great when chainging targets, just moving the stick at the enemy you want to hit is enough.

This video is the best I've seen that showcases how to truly fight in this game (by the way, the enemies with a stun stick block your attacks and it actually hurts you to go after them from the front, enemies with knives guard every attack you make unless you stun them before hand, and the weapons lockers you hear them trying to open contain machine guns), skip to 3:31 to see Round 3:
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

I shouldn't have said "combat is weak", I should've said "combat is the weakest part of the game" which is different.

I've only played the game for a couple hours and I thought it was pretty barebones up to that point.

It feels like it's on auto-aim where you just hit a button and Batman does something crazy to whoever is close.

I'm starting to get upgrades though and I already met the first enemy I had to stun first before attacking so I still see some potential in combat.

I'm not totally dismissing it right now but I do feel the rest of the game's elements fare better than combat does.

That video was pretty awesome though.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

The game pretty much holds your hand at first, but even later on, because of the long life bar and because of how easily you can spam square, you'll rarely get into trouble in combat. When I started playing the combat challenges though, it was a whole different story, I had a lot of trouble even getting one medal (out of the 3 possible) because I wasn't varying my combos or even keeping them going. There's a large step up in combat from Normal to Hard that you'll feel in the challenges because their difficulty is independent of the difficulty you choose for the main game, so for most, that's the first place they'll feel the necessity of proper combat. Still, wait and see how intuitive and complex combat becomes (watching the guy who's going for the gun, choosing which enemies to knock down and which to jump over, which to go after first, which enemies to dodge entirely, etc) and you'll start to truly feel like Batman.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

So, has anyone else played "Final Fantasy: Dissidia" yet? Personally I think it's a fantastic game, no pun intended, heh. I finally managed to beat Chaos last night, but that bitch was hard! By the time I finally managed to beat him, he was lv 48, and my Cloud was lv 63. I just kept thinking, "Geez, how strong is this guy?", and every time I'd beat him, he'd come back bigger and stronger with another form. Oh well, I'd take a good hard challenge like that any day, over a push-over scrub like Yu Yeven from FFX. No other boss in Dissidia gave me so much trouble though. Anyway, it's a really great game, IMO. I would recommend it to any fan of the FF series, that has a PSP. Yeah, it's a PSP game, and all my friends have DS's, and I'm the only one with a PSP. So now they're all wishing it was on PS3, but I'm sorry, nope. Should've gotten a PSP I tell them, but of course everyone seems to hate the PSP except me. Sure, DS has more games, but PSP is coming around, and obviously it's the more powerful system of the two, with more functions. Don't get me wrong, I like the DS as well, I just haven't gotten one yet. I did borrow a friends' DS though, in order to play through all the Phoenix Wright games. I probably would have bought a PSP just to play this game (but I ended up getting one earlier, in order to play "FF: Crisis Core" and "GoW: Chains of Fate", both of which are good games. So with those two games, Dissidia, and a few MGS games. I have yet to regret my purchase of the PSP), the game is that good, IMO. I mean, sure, I enjoy the fan fare as much as anyone, but the game has so much more to offer than that. The combat system is great, IMO, and there's tons of extra stuff too. It's not just fight after fight, it's got a lot going on. You have a chocobo that can win you prizes and bonus EXP, and you get mail from moogles. There's lots of cool stuff like that. Plus, it has the main hero and villain from FF's 1 - 10, so it's got something for everyone. I've never played a game quite like it either. It's like a fighting game / RPG hybrid, and it's awesome. It has lots of replayability too, with all kinds of extra content. Even after you beat the game, there's still a lot to do. This game has a ton of worthy playtime, especially for a PSP game. I've already logged more hours on this game then I've played on all my other PSP games combined, probably, and I still have a long way to go before I run out of things to do. So yeah, even though I bet there are a lot of people out there that want to hate on this game, without having even tried it first, just because it's a PSP game, or a spin-off FF title. I say screw the naysayers. This is actually a really awesome solid game, IMO. So if anyone has any questions about it, just let me know.

Even though this is a PSP game, I'm posting about it here, because we don't have a PSP thread, that I know of. If enough people seem to want to talk about it, then I might start a Dissidia thread. For now I'll wait to see how interested you guys are though. If no one has played it, doesn't plan to play it, and no one seems to want to talk about it, then that's fine too. I'd just rather not start a thread that's not going to go anywhere, so we'll see. If you guys want a thread, then speak up and I'll make one, but if not, that's fine too.
lon3vvolf
n00b Smasher

Post by lon3vvolf »

Hey I'm back. God I missed my ps3 the last 4+ months. I'll be getting back into some street fighter, bionic commando (yeah i bought it for the lunch box), and blazeblue, and some LBP thrown in for fun. If you see me online lets get it on!

Yeah I got Dissidia, its not too bad of a game. Quite frankly I love my psp. People always complain its got no games and whatever else they wanna throw in. Personally I just play the damn thing and enjoy it. I've got games from Crisis Core to Wipeout. I only wish Monster Hunter would have more than just ad-hoc, its a great game. And theres a psp thread... it died a while back:

http://www.evil-genius.us/forums/viewto ... &start=600
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Got the Beatles Rock Band which is pretty good even for casual Beatles fans, the videos during songs are much more elaborated and entertaining than the videos in RB2, and I liked that you unlock photos and a few videos from the Beatles as well. My only complain about the game is that it only has 45 songs and a lot of classic songs are missing. They're gonna release them later as DLC, but it still sucks that they're not already there.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

i like how the slim has buttons
Audentis Fortuna Juvet - Virgil
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Why? I like the normal PS3's heat detection pads more, myself. I've never had any trouble with them, and they're all high-tech and stuff, heh. :P
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Starnum wrote:Why? I like the normal PS3's heat detection pads more, myself. I've never had any trouble with them, and they're all high-tech and stuff, heh. :P
Indeed. Heat sensitive buttons are like: "See, there is no button but when I lay my finger on it it does its magic!"
The new version is like "push, click, function"... boring :P
lon3vvolf
n00b Smasher

Post by lon3vvolf »

Aetherfukz wrote:
Starnum wrote:Why? I like the normal PS3's heat detection pads more, myself. I've never had any trouble with them, and they're all high-tech and stuff, heh. :P
Indeed. Heat sensitive buttons are like: "See, there is no button but when I lay my finger on it it does its magic!"
The new version is like "push, click, function"... boring :P
aka. CHEAP

my ps3 plays ps2 games :D
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

the heat pads on my ps3 take a little while to work, it's friggin annoying. must be defective, or i'm impatient
Audentis Fortuna Juvet - Virgil
dialdfordesi

Post by dialdfordesi »

There's gotta be a problem with your hardware. I have insanely cold hands and the power and eject buttons work with a simple tap.
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
lon3vvolf
n00b Smasher

Post by lon3vvolf »

There is a much simpler explanation. Hes got no soul.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Oh, I guess you missed it since you've been away, Lone Wolf. The Herald came out of the dressing room and revealed that he is actually a she. XD
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

A french video game magazine just gave Uncharted 2 a rating of 21/20. Perfection just got more perfect. :lol:

I'm pretty exited over that game though.
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

War Machine wrote:A french video game magazine just gave Uncharted 2 a rating of 21/20. Perfection just got more perfect. :lol:

I'm pretty exited over that game though.
Who isn't? The first Uncharted was pretty much exactly what "Indiana Jones and the Skullfuckery of George Lucas on crystallized meth" should have been. Fun, filled with action and adventure, witty, sexy and sleek. The second game will probably only top that - the trailers look fabulous ("Hi, Elena Fisher, last year's model" always cracks me up).
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

I must admit, I enjoyed the first Uncharted game, and am looking forward to the sequel. Seriously though, who uses a 20 scale for ratings? Do you really need that many different ratings? Isn't 1-10 enough? Is there something I don't know here. 1 - 20, what do the rankings even mean at that point? 10 is average? Come on! :P