PS3 Thread

Welcome to the official EG Gaming Buzkashi League (EGBL).

Moderator: EG Members

Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Re: PS3 Thread

Post by Aetherfukz »

Starnum wrote:I must admit, I enjoyed the first Uncharted game, and am looking forward to the sequel. Seriously though, who uses a 20 scale for ratings? Do you really need that many different ratings? Isn't 1-10 enough? Is there something I don't know here. 1 - 20, what do the rankings even mean at that point? 10 is average? Come on! :P
Using Letters instead of Numbers as grades aside, why does half the world have 6 grades while the rest only has 5? Questions we will probably never get answered :P
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Hey, War Machine.

I take back what I said about Arkham Asylum's combat.

It's not amazing but it's quite good and much in tune with how Batman would fight.

It does seem to be more reactive than proactive though, i.e. you choose who and how to attack based on what your opponents are doing as opposed to something like DMC where you just run in guns blazing, which is what I ultimately prefer.

I'm enjoying the combat challenges quite a bit and playing on hard without the counter markers is really forcing me to slow down and concentrate, which is a welcome change of pace.

I haven't beaten any of your scores yet but maybe soon.

Awesome game, except for the ending.

I saw it coming and I thought to myself "Nah, it's Paul Dini writing this. He knows better than letting the Joker do something like that."

Imagine my surprise to see how wrong I was.
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

I downloaded Arkham Asylum on steam on the weekend, and I really really like it. I rented it for a night once for PS3 and wasn't much convinced of the combat system, but after playing a full day on the PC it really gripped me. It's simple but challenging at the same time, and doesn't need lots of buttons to do awesome stuff. Although as femto, I still prefer DMCs combat system, because after all the best (looking) moves Batman does are always counters.

But overall its really an awesome game, really nice pacing and a good ratio of story to gameplay. I love going Splinter Cell on their ass and taking them out stealthily one by one. With the joker commenting all the time on the radio system, which is a really nice and insane touch. Also a nice detail, how Batmans suit gets more and more cuts over time and looks rather combat worn then.

I also rented Wet for the PS3. It's nice but definately only worth a rent. Nice mix of DMC and Max Payne with all the bullettime shooting, and it feels like some tarantino-esque B-movie, which is nice.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Aetherfukz wrote:I love going Splinter Cell on their ass and taking them out stealthily one by one.
I oughta slap you for that. It's like Snake. Snake damn it! :evil:
Femto wrote:I haven't beaten any of your scores yet but maybe soon.
Yeah, I replayed one of the challenges cause you were getting close to beating it, ha ha ha! :lol:

And about the ending, I find it acceptable but it could've been so much more.
[spoiler]Batman battling the titan serum with sheer will was too much of a stretch considering we're already led to believe he can withstand Scarecrow's gas (which I find somewhat believable if only for that fact that the gas only affects his mind). Also, you'd think Joker would have some escape plan or final prank ready for when Batman got to that point. The titan serum is not funny or smart, it's simply not a Joker move. The ultimate ending of Batman restoring the Status Quo was ok, but that's the usual Batman ending, we've seen that too many times.

Oh and by the way, at the very end where you see someone reaching out and grabbing the box of titan that fell into the water, there's 3 different versions to that little part. The person reaching out is either Killer Croc, Bane or Scarecrow, but nobody knows yet what triggers which ending.[/spoiler]
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

[spoiler]Juiced up Joker is what really bothered me about the ending. Totally out of character. And Batman did inject himself with the serum eventually so I thought it was believable enough.[/spoiler]
I didn't know about the three ending versions.

I got Killer Croc.

It probably has something to do how many of the Riddler's Challenges you completed.

I'll let you know once I beat it on Hard since I'm not really going for any Riddler stuff and when I beat it the first time I was almost done.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Femto wrote:I didn't know about the three ending versions.

I got Killer Croc.

It probably has something to do how many of the Riddler's Challenges you completed.
No, I got Bane twice when beating the game with 100% on normal and 80% on hard. And no, it's not the difficulty or how many times you die or to who either, the general consensus is that it's random.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

I stopped playing yesterday at almost 12pm (is that 12pm? or 0am? 24:00, that's the time :D) after wiping a few times on Poison Ivy. The bossfights so far were all completely awesome.
[spoiler]Getting chased by Killer Croc in the sewers really had my heart pumping. And every single scene where Scarecrow is present is awesome. Especially when you go through a corridor, and suddenly it seems the game crashed like an old videogame, then the intro starts again but this time with the Joker throwing Batman into Arkham. Sweet![/spoiler]

I wish there were more upgrades though, I'm only at about 50% of the story (if the mainscreen percentage can be trusted to be at 100% when the story is over) but I already only have 2-3 upgrades left to purchase.

Edit: Boo, at the Poison Ivy fight the game was already almost over :(
And there's not even a newgame+ :(
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

*WARNING NSFW*

From the upcoming game Heavy Rain:
http://www.zshare.net/video/660801956376ae12/
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

BOOBIES!!!
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Holy Fuck!!!

I cannot get enough of this.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Goregasm! I can't wait!
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Hey War Machine.

Check out my scores in Sewer Bat Extreme and Rumble in the Jungle Extreme.

:smoken:
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

I gave up on Rumble in the Jungle Extreme as soon as I hit the required score to get the medals, but Sewer Bat Extreme puts me to shame... I will not tolerate this, come the weekend your scores will be erased from history. :P

On another note, why did no one else but Femto comment on the boobies I posted? Boobs, people!
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Shock and Awe in Extreme is probably the hardest combat challenge just because of the time limit.

You can't really plan things out when you realize that you only have 20 seconds left, you just have to take down those fuckers as fast as you can and you're prone to make mistakes when you're in a hurry like that.

In Rumble Extreme, I managed to kill both Titans in the last room pretty much from beginning to end in a single combo.

It was beautiful.

I also just got my Platinum trophy on the game.

First one ever.

Pretty much done with the game, I suppose.

Totally worth buying.
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 kicks lots of ass.

And I can't wait for the 13th of October when Uncharted 2 will come out. The latest trailer looks awesome, and I completely loved the first one. And the graphics, whoa. Especially the faces which really convey emotions with mimic alone.

Edit: Uncharted 2 review, hell yeah. http://www.gametrailers.com/video/revie ... ed-2/57258

Edit2: Just finished installing the Uncharted 2 Multiplayer Beta from the PSN store. And LOL there's an option to automatically twitter your progression from the game.

Edit3: Multiplayer is awesome. Call of Duty 4-like awesome. And I love the coop missions for 3 players, which really feel like a story mission from the campaign. And jumping around, shimmying and using terrain is awesome against real players too. Can't wait for the full game to come out.

Edit4: Finished the game a few hours ago. Game of the year 2009 IMHO. The story and how its delivered was one of the best I've seen in years. All the characters just feel so real, like watching an awesome movie. And getting to play most of it.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

I spent this whole week finishing Uncharted 1 to get ready for 2 and I really liked it, the cover system is simply great. Being able to fire without having to stick your head out is great for when the enemies try to flank you (and on the hardest difficulty they always try to do that). My only gripe with the hardest difficulty was that enemies take close to 10 shots kill, and that's if they all hit, which is ridiculous. I'm trying to stop two guys from flanking me and one guy gets to do it and kill me because I spent my whole clip on the other guy trying to stop him.

Anyway, I'll probably get Uncharted 2 today, and then not play it much cause I got lots of homework... :?
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

I haven't gotten Uncharted 2 yet, but GameFly sent me Brutal Legend, and it's pretty awesome so far.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

I'm not sure if you guys know but you can get your PS3 controller to work on your PC.

You just need to download the correct drivers and fiddle around with it a bit until you get it working.

It's pretty sweet.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Interesting, I did not know that. I might have to check into that sometime, especially if I get a PC game that'd play better with a controller. I don't play many PC games, but you never know when that knowledge may be useful.
dialdfordesi
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by dialdfordesi »

Starnum wrote:Interesting, I did not know that. I might have to check into that sometime, especially if I get a PC game that'd play better with a controller. I don't play many PC games, but you never know when that knowledge may be useful.
Emulators, bro.
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Obviously I know about emulators, but I mainly play my PS3. I don't really go retro with my gaming very often. When I do play a game on the PC, it's usually an MMO, which plays better with a keyboard. Still, I find the information good to know, and may end up putting it to use if I find a worthy application.
dialdfordesi
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by dialdfordesi »

Netflix support? Hell yes!
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
thepeaguy
notanewb

Post by thepeaguy »

Man, oh man. The multiplayer on Uncharted 2 looks great. Unlike Call of Duty 4, it doesn't seem to suffer from glitches or anything.

This community should organise a multiplayer session every weekend or something. When I get my copy tomorrow, I'll be interested: should be fun.

My PSN ID is "thepeaguy" btw. I also play Warhawk.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Weekend Uncharted 2 matches? That'd be cool, I'm in.

I've been playing some deathmatch and co-op missions with a friend and being able to do all the things you can in single player is awesome.
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Yeah Uncharted 2 rocks in MP and SP. It's the very first and probably last game where I'll try to get the platinum trophy, because if you get that you can select Sir Francis Drake (as an undead skeleton) as your multiplayer skin. Neat.

I especially like the coop missions but those random players more often than not completely suck at taking cover and clearing your six.