Jack Thompson In Court: The Video!

Welcome to the official EG Gaming Buzkashi League (EGBL).

Moderator: EG Members

psi29a
Godo

Jack Thompson In Court: The Video!

Post by psi29a »

Destructoid's on-the-scene coverage of the Miami court case featuring crazy lawyer Jack Thompson versus Bully just gets better and better. Now they've actually got a video camera in the courtroom! Watch a calm, collected Judge Ronald Friedman tell JT that his conduct is "inappropriate, unprofessional, and contemptible."

Speaking of that last one, Friedman, who recused himself from the proceedings as of this hearing, actually does repeat towards the end that Thompson "continues to show disrespect for this court" and that his conduct "may very well be... contemptible, but that's for another judge to decide." JT shouldn't get all comfy about not being in jail, just yet.

Also, it's hard to hear all the audio, but the video begins with Friedman explaining his actions during the trial. I feel a lot better about this guy now that he's proven himself on the correct side of the first amendment:
...this court should have put together, should not have viewed the tape at all, the video game as you want to call it, right. What this court should have done is [unintelligible] the defendant's motion on 1st amendment rights, and never have taken the time to review the video game. However, if I did anything improper it may have been to avoid [unintelligible]. This court can review a video tape if found to have an immediate impact such that it would incite violence. i did go out on a limb and I did review the game and I did not find [unintelligible] such that it would incite violence.
Okay -- I'm glad he gets it. As you might recall, I was a bit worried about this, but checking on the whole "likely to incite violence" thing is important; "fire" in a crowded theater and all that. He goes on:
The fact that Mr. Thompson has people who believe [it may incite violence] is not the test. If that were the test, then he has a very strong argument. But that is not the test. As i said in my order, this might be a game that I wouldn't want for my child, but that's not the test.

This court bent over backwards to make sure there was no immediate threat.

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=c0MizNdMCHY[/youtube]
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

I didn't bother watchign the video, I know the outcome, and everytime Jack Thompson opens his mouth I want to punch through the screen and into his face (It's not my fault though, I played a lot of Punch-Out as a kid.) I can't believe anyone, even people who agree with his basic premise, still back him with his antics, outbursts, and public displays of idiocy. They are shooting themselves in the foot, because no one takes him or anyone who supports him seriously.

I think Take Two should send him a letter with a big picture of a hand flipping the bird that says "Better Luck Next Time!" on it. In the words of Mike Krahulik from Penny Arcade "The more I consider it the more I think we may be lucky to have Jack playing the part of the alarmist. The alternative might be someone who is actually capable."
ImageImage
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Why are we still giving attention to this guy?
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Femto wrote:Why are we still giving attention to this guy?
I rather make an example of him, if at least to let it be him instead of someone better able to represent themselves and their cause.

I rather keep 'em at leash than dead.

However, that being said... just the videos. The last one is short and funny. The first one is actually pretty good. :D