The MAME thread

Welcome to the official EG Gaming Buzkashi League (EGBL).

Moderator: EG Members

Albator
Hikikomori

The MAME thread

Post by Albator »

Right now I couldn't have wasted $100 much better: a X-Gaming arcade controller for PC, to enjoy classic retro games such as rampage, R-Type, Raiden, AvsP, SFII, Bubble Bobble and others....using the wonderful emulator MAME.

So have at it, how does it work for you? I like this emulator (and quit saying it's been out for ages, I know and who cares), MAME32 is even better as it gives you a graphic interface.

Right now I'm in Snow Bros: Nick and Tom galore. Rainbow Islands is following soon.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

I'm sorry, but I don't do roms.

Not anymore at least.

Albator
Hikikomori

Post by Albator »

This thread is onlly for old schoolers, and also reserved to the Eldo's party. Competing party must stay outside.

It also makes the Next console generation thread useless.

Pang is awesome.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

If you want to talk old school shit, I'm there.

PS: Marvel Super Hereos is the best superhero game ever made.

:headbang:
Albator
Hikikomori

Post by Albator »

I have that, was a very lucrative game, could play an hour with a coin.

Captain America and the Avengers is a close follower. Repetitve, but it's such a short game that you don't have time to realize it.
Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

Start grabbing some shooters if you have MAME. There are tons of them.

Get Progear, it is one of Caves best and it is god damn criminal that they have not ported the damn thing yet.
Albator
Hikikomori

Post by Albator »

Well they have it, and I'm getting it.

I already have the basics R-type, Raiden, 1943, etc...

I remember getting broke on a shooter, side-scrolling type, where you pilot a ship that can switch to mecha mode too. But I can't remember the stupid name, I'll have to try them all, why not!
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

Albator wrote:Well they have it, and I'm getting it.

I remember getting broke on a shooter, side-scrolling type, where you pilot a ship that can switch to mecha mode too. But I can't remember the stupid name, I'll have to try them all, why not!
Sounds sorta Macross.
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
Albator
Hikikomori

Post by Albator »

I was thinking of a 2D side-scrolling one, where you can control the switch from one form to another. Macross is top-scrolling (or whatever it's called). But yeah, it's kinda like that.

Got Progear, looks fun. I guess I can lurk in the fighter-shooter thread to get some other nice titles.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Dungeons and Dragons: Shadows of Mystina was fun. I love that game.

I also have Capcom VS Marvel on MAME, which for some reason the PS version of it cannot allow me to switch characters during battle, and that was really the gimmick I liked in the game. It's moderately fun for me.

Also, Turtles in Time. I have to say the SNES version was infinitely better than the arcade. The stage where you have to throw footsoldiers to the screen where Shredder was is classic.

Finally, the classics: Space Invaders and Pacman.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

I stopped using MAME too much because for some reason even when I get ROMs and put them in the right spot, my MAME seems to not want to recognize them. If you are looking for more shooters try Gunlock AKA Galactic Attack AKA RayForce. Lord knows why it has so many names (I know that American Saturn has it as Galactic Attack and Japanese has it as RayForce, I think Gunlock was arcade but I could be wrong). Anywho, that game regardless of what name it is under is tons of fun. Another good shooter for MAME is Dragon Blaze. That's really all I have on my MAME except for Progear (That game is too much fun)

AS for other types, if you like Puzzles get Magical Drop 3. The Metal Slugs (1, 2, 3, and X are definately out) are always good to have on an acrade/Neo Geo emulator. I personally have a thing for Sunset Riders (it's a side scrolling beat-em-up with guns). But that might just be because I like shooting guys wit shotguns as a Mexican with a purple sombrero. Plus it has soem of the funniest Old West style stereotypes. I'm surprised this game hasn't been sanctioned by every ethnic rights groups except the NAACP (And they might even have a case because there are zero black guys in that game).
ImageImage
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

Albator wrote:I was thinking of a 2D side-scrolling one, where you can control the switch from one form to another. Macross is top-scrolling (or whatever it's called). But yeah, it's kinda like that.

Got Progear, looks fun. I guess I can lurk in the fighter-shooter thread to get some other nice titles.
I've played a side-scrolling Macross shooter where you can switch to/from fighter/plane-bot/mech at will.

SNES though.
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

The side scroller shooter with the ship/robot is maybe Hyper Duel which is based on Macross. One of Technosoft's last if I remember correctly, fun game. Technosoft made all the Thunder Forces if you remember those.

If you like R-Type, you should get a hold of R-Type Leo, great shooter and one of my favs of the R-Type style.
Albator
Hikikomori

Post by Albator »

R-Type Leo rules, it's one of the 1st ones I got. It's too bad that I suck at shooters.

Well I suck at games in general.
Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

I am gonna go ahead and revive this bad boy. I have been playing quite a bit of MAME due to the fact I do not have the money to afford PCBs. I would love to start some competition in scoring for "insert MAME game here." So, would any one be down for playing some MAME action?

If people are looking for some MAME games....

Armed Police Batrider
Raiden Fighters Jet (It finally works in the latest version of MAME!)
Viper Phase 1 (Great old school shooter nothing fancy)
Battle Bakraid
Dimahoo

I would recomend MAME 32 for any one who do not have MAME already.
Last edited by Ayanami on Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Albator
Hikikomori

Post by Albator »

Thanks for the names, I'll go check them out, . I got my X-Arcade stick, I'm into Street Fighter Alpha's and SNCvsCapcom. Progear is really good, thanks to you. I have to confess I'm also into Pang those days.

Count me out of the competitive thread, I suck at gaming. I love shooters but for some reason bullets attract me.
Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

Don't be affraid Albator, hone your skills!

We don't have to play a shooter, run and gun or something else enjoyable will do just fine.
ShinigamiGuts
n00b Smasher

Post by ShinigamiGuts »

Albator wrote:Well they have it, and I'm getting it.

Wow R-type that's so freaking old and one of my favorite video games on the nes or snes. Don't remember.
Only remember the first boss, some big dude who shoot shit that covered the edges of the room so you had to move in close to him.
Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

The best R-Type game I have ever played was R-Type Delta for the PSX. Should look into it, I have no idea what it cost these days though.
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

so no metal slug love??
Albator
Hikikomori

Post by Albator »

Damn Metal Slug is insane, it's designed to eat your coins. And that was transported into the emulation as well, that game frustrate me. I feel I have no chance to finish that game without 20 continues (that is much easier to admit that I have no skills).
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

Albator wrote: I feel I have no chance to finish that game without 20 continues (that is much easier to admit that I have no skills).
If you are playing Metal Slug 3 and you finish with less than 10 continutes, I think people would pretty much bow down and worship you. Damnit that game is hard. And Metal Slug X as well.
ImageImage
Albator
Hikikomori

Post by Albator »

I pulled 20 out of the blue, it must probably be more like 50 then. I just lose track because I use so many. I usually don't need one for the 1st level, probably 1 to 3 for the second, ad then all hell break lose (for MS3).

The last boss at MS-X is just the hardest, toughest, meanest of all. The crawlers on the wall (anybody's seen The Descent? It's Them) are also tough to beat, like they are bulletproof.
Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

Play Raiden Fighters Jet!! It works on MAME 32 versions .98 and up I want to say! Great game. More people need to play it. Download it now!

EDIT

Finally got my Japanese Saturn! Huzzah! Didn't want to make a new thread so I just posted it here. I got Marvel VS Street Fighter, X-Men VS Street Fighter, Marvel Super Heroes, Children of the Atom, and KOF 96 with it. I am a happy man.

Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Man, a Saturn. Good times.

I still have mine. Unfortunately, the CD drive died out. Many years ago. A shame too, I had Daytona and a steering wheel, Virtual Cop with two goddamn guns. I didn't have much time to play it either. The rest of the games pretty much sucked.

Most MAME games I can play with my Xbox. Still good, even though it's obsolete. I play more games from other system on my Xbox more than Xbox games itself.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am