What are you reading?

Way off-topic, and allowed! General discussions on anything and everything.

Moderator: EG Members

Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Actually i dont like watching adaptations, they only usually make angry at how much they are destroying a good book ;)

For example anyone seen Starship Troopers? And read the book?

Its the worst dumped down and worst movie adaptation of all time for sure.....
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

WOA WOA WOA!!!!

StarShip Troopers was fucking awesome. If they made it true to the book it would be this complete mind fuck about how the nazi's won and blah and no bug killing. The movie was just waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too good.

ooooo and what am i reading??? Mr. Right way to hell, i mean heaven Bill O'Rielly's Culture Warrior.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Nazi won sheez... no wonder hollywood makes movies like that.....

I thought it sucked even before i knew there was a story they totally messed up in the film.

The book was more about philosophy than killing Bugs.

Anyway i have started reading Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? Its awesomely good. Dekkerd is very interesting.
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

A lot of Phillip K Dick (notice the sig :D )stories are simply amazing, however their movie adaptations are hit and miss and mostly good on their own merits.

Paycheck and Next as examples of crap Dick movies.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

The only hit aka Bladerunner even Dick didnt like, i wonder why ;)

I have The Man in the High Castle and Flow my tears,policeman too.

Right now thanks to Heinlein,Dick i am finally free of my fantasy fase that took hold of me too much :P

I will go and borrow two Heinlein books tommorow and change beteween him and Dick.

By the way have you read The Minority Report? I read its the only story of his that the movie is actually similer to except the action of course.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Libaax wrote:The only hit aka Bladerunner even Dick didnt like, i wonder why ;)
Because he has no fucking tastes.

It's the best fucking movie in the whole fucking world, and anybody that says otherwise is gay.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Well it can be a good movie without not being as the writer wrote it in the book.

The few things i remember of the movie i know was usually hollywood stuff where they simpilify the stories so they can have more action and so people dont have to think too much.
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

Sign Dick up for more dick then
Vicissitude
Professional Bastard

Post by Vicissitude »

I'm in the middle of my second read-through of My Tank is Fight! It's a tongue-in-cheek look back on the weird wonder weapons that were created during WWII. A pair of tanks so big, they had to be powered by naval engines, an aircraft carrier made of ice and the Nazi nuclear bomb are all covered factually, their hypothetical deployment theorized and each has a short chapter of historical fiction that centers around the weapon or vehicle.

Those of you familiar with such things might know about Zack Parsons from his articles of the same/similar titles (My Tank Has Armor Plates to Protect Me From Hate!, My Tank Fires Bullets That Weigh a Ton!) on SomethingAwful.com. He is an excellent writer who has also written tons of other amusing frontpage articles for the site that are worth checking out.
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

I've been catching up on the Foundation books recently. I finished Foundation's Edge a couple of days ago, and will probably be done with Foundation and Earth tomorrow, and start on Forward the Foundation. I must admit I'm a bit uncertain as to whether the change of direction from the original Foundation trilogy is a good move or not. The series has lost some of its pedigree, I feel, as it is moving away from the pretty refined speculative retrospective theorizing towards more traditional sci-fi fare.

Still awesome though.
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

psi29a wrote:A lot of Phillip K Dick (notice the sig :D )stories are simply amazing, however their movie adaptations are hit and miss and mostly good on their own merits.

Paycheck and Next as examples of crap Dick movies.

Why are they crap? Beacuse filmmakers have two choices, use that hair that nick cage has, or actually paint him gold, which allows him to pick up chicks... both are the wrong choices.

Phillip K Dick stories are sci fi movies, and last i checked, those really dont translate well into an actual movie.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

LordMune wrote:I've been catching up on the Foundation books recently. I finished Foundation's Edge a couple of days ago, and will probably be done with Foundation and Earth tomorrow, and start on Forward the Foundation. I must admit I'm a bit uncertain as to whether the change of direction from the original Foundation trilogy is a good move or not. The series has lost some of its pedigree, I feel, as it is moving away from the pretty refined speculative retrospective theorizing towards more traditional sci-fi fare.

Still awesome though.

I know for sure the first three original books was alot better, come on going from the Mule and second foundation stories to Gaia stuff give me a break. Sure its still very good but not as the first three.

The reason is prolly cause Assimov wanted to end the series after the first three books but money hungry publishers made him write books he didnt wanna and didnt plan to write.

Which is why its so forced connected to his Robot books suddenly in the last two.
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

Yeah, he said as much in the Preface of Foundation's Edge. Fuck those books, the ending of Foundation and Earth sucked majorly. I'm not much for prequelitis, but I am hoping Forward the Foundation will offer some good old-fashioned Trantorian intrigue.
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Me i am taking a pause from Foundation after foundation and earth. No prequals for me now.

I will start reading his Robot series,NightFall,Last Question and other short stories.

Its time to read more of my SF fav writer.
dialdfordesi
I live in a giant bucket.

Re: What are you reading?

Post by dialdfordesi »

Kaplan's MCAT books. That test scares the crap out of me and I take it in less than a month.
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Im just about to finish Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card.

After that i will start reading Garden's of the moon by Steven Erikson.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

I'm reading "The Covenant with Black America".
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Not fantasy right ;)

Interesting title.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

Halo: The Ghosts of Onyx
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

The Bicentennial Man and Other stories by Asimov.
uncempt
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by uncempt »

I'm reading Red Mars. I tried back when I was a teenager but I didn't have the patience for it. It's totally awesome though. All good scifi needs a question to answer and this one's is "what would happen if 100 people tried to create a new world?" So these 100 people get sent off to colonise Mars and start society from scratch. It's hard to describe but they all want different things from Mars and the politics and interactions get really interesting. And it starts with an assassination...

Also Terry Pratchett's "Thud!" He's so good at commenting on the real world with his fantasy. He uses dwarfs and trolls to talk about religious fundamentalists and racial hatred. AND it's hilarious.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

As SF fanboy how you described Red Mars made me interested in it. I adore those kind of SF.

Are you a big fan of SF? Any favs?
Last edited by Libaax on Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
uncempt
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by uncempt »

Yeah, I love it :D I actually became an engineer because of SF!

I've been reading some cool 80's stuff in the last couple of years. Bruce Sterling in particular was awesome back then. You should read Schismatrix plus. It's a novel followed by a few short stories. The novel follows this one guy who ends up living a couple hundred years and being in the middle of several revolutions and wars between factions who believe in different uses for technology. Like one group genetically engineers themselves, another group are into cybernetic implants, yet another want to live in empty space... There's so many cool ideas. I think I'll have to reread it soon.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Me i have been stuck in golden age SF cause of the greatness of Asimov,Heinlein,Clarke etc

But thanks to P.K Dick im getting more and more interested in cyberpunk and the other punks :lol:

Wanna read Gibson,Sterling,Powers,Richard K Morgan etc

Is it a military SF done by Sterling?
uncempt
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by uncempt »

Nah, it's political again. The main guy is a diplomat of sorts. It's fascinating cos it focuses on individuals and big shifts in society too.

Dick, Asimov and Clarke are among my favourites. I think Gibson can be great but he's often a bit samey. Like he stretches his ideas sometimes, you know?

I've decided not to buy new books anymore. I'm usually a bit disappointed. I'm lucky though, where I live there are plenty of markets and 2nd hand shops I can get old books from :)