New Evangelion movies?

The latest and greatest of Japanese Animation. Found something new, or perhaps old and arcane... if it has to do with anime, it goes right here.

Moderator: EG Members

BasouKazuma
Flexing spam muscles

New Evangelion movies?

Post by BasouKazuma »

No, I'm not talking about the Live Action Evangelion movie thats been in the works these past few years. It was recently confirmed in NewType that 4 new animated movies are to be made, the first of which will premiere in Japanese theaters as early as summer '07.

Not sure why they're remaking the anime, when there are already plans for a potential series of live action movies.

http://randomc.animeblogger.net/2006/09 ... -are-sexy/
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=9464
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

ANN wrote:Newtype states that it will be an entirely new project, not be a remake or improvement of any sort.
As for my opinion, meh. Hideaki Anno is crazy. Maybe the movies'll be good, maybe they won't. It certainly won't be Evangelion.
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Meh, no thanks.
Fuji Nagase
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by Fuji Nagase »

i heard some HORRIBLE romor about hillary duff playing asuka, and myself being an eva fan, i just hoped they wouldnt make the movie at all. i dont think ill see it if it comes out. but it depends on how they go about making it, i guess. not to fond of the idea, but im pretty sure they're making them.

they need to be done making more eva stuff. dont overdo it!! eva is great as it is, and they must stop!
Last edited by Fuji Nagase on Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

"The wind whispered,and the world began to change."
ryusenka
This is my new home

Post by ryusenka »

Are they gonna make this like wolverine? Really good stuff but overused too goddamned much because fanboys keep buying thier shit? Never really liked NGE or Wolverine.......Probably gonna go to the same direction.
"Understand that it's just a person - not worth devoting any nightmares to." - JTHM
Deathbringer
n00b eater

Post by Deathbringer »

Let´s see how Anno pulls this one off, from what i read they are going to add at least a new character to the already existing staff, if they want to show some Eva vs Angels fights with nowadays technology, fuck yeah bring it on.
Arngrim
Mastered PM

Post by Arngrim »

Fuji Nagase wrote:i heard some HORRIBLE romor about hillary duff playing asuka, and myself being an eva fan, i just hoped they wouldnt make the movie at all. i dont think ill see it if it comes out. but it depends on how they go about making it, i guess. not to fond of the idea, but im pretty sure they're making them.

they need to be done making more eva stuff. dont overdo it!! eva is great as it is, and they must stop!
I doubt Hillary Duff would be Asuka, but again, last I checked any and all official reports (the few) regarding the...well -further- rumors of this movie have been scare. The biggest official one was the WETA art of the Rei and Asuka plugsuits which bore the names "Kate Rose" and "Ray", making people go into convulsions, seisures and panic attacks simultaneously even though that was just the names of the models/production art.

There hasn't been news since earlier this year, so methinks it's either "on ice" or dead.
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

WETA EVA has officially been on ice for a couple of years now, at least.
Arngrim
Mastered PM

Post by Arngrim »

LordMune wrote:WETA EVA has officially been on ice for a couple of years now, at least.
Actually, just did some last minute research:
http://www.wetaworkshop.co.nz/projects/ ... on_genesis
http://www.wetaworkshop.co.nz/projects/ ... on_genesis (some of the art is relatively new as in less than a year, including reworks of the "Kate Rose" and "ray" names)

And Finally, the great "editable" inevitable wiki,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Untitled_E ... on_Project

The newest news was at a convention this year, and supposedly there is to be some new information this fall. I'm not at all happy on their potential choice for Rei, maybe I'm biased. It's just out of all the characters, be it Shinji, Misato or Gendo (who share actual asian backgrounds) Rei is the only one in my honest opinion who -must- be oriental. Maybe I'm just biased because of my past girl who bore lots of resemblences and was an orient herself, but I don't think I'm the only one who thinks Rei should be so.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Asian, the word you're looking for is Asian. Oriental is an adjective only used in reference to food or inanimate objects. ;)

swallow
notanewb

Post by swallow »

Not technically true. Asians in Britain refer to mainly Pakistanis and Indians, while Chinese and Japanese are referred to as Auriental/Oriental (whatever). :?
Procrastination at its finest.
Arngrim
Mastered PM

Post by Arngrim »

Starnum wrote:Asian, the word you're looking for is Asian. Oriental is an adjective only used in reference to food or inanimate objects. ;)
Incorrect :P

swallow wrote:Not technically true. Asians in Britain refer to mainly Pakistanis and Indians, while Chinese and Japanese are referred to as Auriental/Oriental (whatever). :?
Correct
when in doubt, a wiki or dictionary is your friend.
Traditionally "Oriental" has been used by the West as a term to describe cultures, countries, peoples and goods from the Orient.
Some people consider it deragatory, because of its original intent (like Jap) etc but I was taught differently about the term so I do use it XP
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Y-y-you don't know! *scampers off*

(Heh, can't win 'em all. *shrugs*)
Arngrim
Mastered PM

Post by Arngrim »

Starnum wrote:Y-y-you don't know! *scampers off*

(Heh, can't win 'em all. *shrugs*)
Y...YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT ME!
WHATCHA TALKING BOUT OH BIG BAD DEMON WOMAN! DON'T YOU CONDESEND TO ME LADY..HEY...HEY...DON'T SHOW ME YOUR ASS!
nightofchaos
Don't mind me, I'm a dumbass.

Post by nightofchaos »

I want someone to make a live action version of End of Evangelion with my favorite actors... someday. They can use cg, and change it for life action in remakes as people learn to accept it ever more.

This post is subject to change, but someone must tell me so that I believe it is a prophecy, and fate may or may not follow such prophecies.
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

nightofchaos wrote:I want someone to make a live action version of End of Evangelion with my favorite actors... someday. They can use cg, and change it for life action in remakes as people learn to accept it ever more.

This post is subject to change, but someone must tell me so that I believe it is a prophecy, and fate may or may not follow such prophecies.
Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Masterei Version 2.0. The Retard King may have stepped down (I guess the more appropriate term would be that he got "put down") but fear not citizens! There is an heir to the throne!

Seriously though, if you aren't the reincarnation (Read: Second Account) of that idiot, do not necro a thread like this if you don't have anything useful to add.
ImageImage
Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

My sister's Newtype says something about Eva movies. I take a look after she is done.

edit: ok just four anime movies that retell the story. Oh and that white haired angel guy is there from the begining.
Catherwood
imanewbie

Re: New Evangelion movies?

Post by Catherwood »

My understanding of this, is that there are five movies in the works. The first is a live action movie by Weta workshop, which has not seen any progress for some years now. The other four (Which are much more interesting) are by Gainax. One will be a prequel, one will be a sequel, one will take place somewhere in the middle of the series, and one will be a "Final" movie (Whatever that means). Hideaki Anno will only be supervising the project, so his actually role will most likely be very small. The first of the four will be released in September this year, and is titled "EVANGELION:1.0 YOU ARE (NOT) ALONE". Some bits off Wikipedia about the plot:

"According to an article in the February 2007 issue of Newtype USA, the first movie will end with Operation Yashima, an incident that takes place during Episode 6 of the original Evangelion TV series. The article also states that a brand new character to the Evangelion universe will be introduced in the second installment and that some of the differences between the original series and the new movies will take advantage of 3D CG technology not available when the series was produced back in 1995.

Other known differences will include new NERV and SEELE emblems, which were later revealed on the official Rebuild website. The new NERV logo has the word "NERV" extending out of the left-hand side of an upside-down apple, with the old motto "God's in his heaven, all's right with the world" coming out of the right. The fig leaf from the old NERV logo is retained, now superimposed onto the apple. The new SEELE logo incorporates the old logo (a triangle with seven eyes on it), with an apple inset inside of the triangle with a snake coiled around it. Written on the middle of the SEELE apple is the phrase "Überm Sternenzelt richtet Gott, wie wir gerichtet," which is taken from lines 71 and 72 of Friedrich Schiller's original poem Ode to Joy (with the word "Brueder" or "Brothers" being excluded), and translates as "Above the starry canopy, God judges as we judged"[3]

Another story change is that Kaworu will make a much earlier appearance; in the series, he was not introduced until episode 24."

One last piece of information is that the first movie's ending theme will still be "Fly me to the Moon" sung by Hikaru Utada, although in my opinion, it's a rather poor remix. http://www.emimusic.jp/app/scripts/acce ... 120_03.wma
That's about all I know, but I would love to hear any other nuggets people might have. Sorry if I'm necroing the thread.
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

The single most interesting thing (the only interesting thing?) is if Hideaki Anno, despite not being as directly involved as before, will take the chance to express himself as he did with the original show. Anno was, for lack of a better term, pretty fucked up when he wrote and directed EVA. Now, he's happily married with kid(s?). That has to change a man, and in effect change Evangelion.

So that's the question; will this project only serve to fill a second gargantuan vault with money at Gainax HQ, or will it actually be a new EVA?

EDIT: That remix is atrocious.
Catherwood
imanewbie

Post by Catherwood »

Still, I wonder if being so fucked up was what gave the series it's flavor?
Catherwood
imanewbie

Post by Catherwood »

Sorry for double post, but...TRAILER! http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=7pfnqsEEEpo
Actually, the trailer seem to be more or less of the same stuff as the series, which really worries me.
Deathbringer
n00b eater

Post by Deathbringer »

Actually, the trailer seem to be more or less of the same stuff as the series, which really worries me.

What did you expect?

Hideaki said that this is pretty much going to be same thing but with quality animation, a couple new characters and a new happy ending.

And i liked what i saw, the animation looks excellent and the 3 angels in the trailer were awesome, i´m pretty anxious to see this.

By the way, Hideaki is part of the staff making the movies, i don´t know were you got the information that he ain´t.
Catherwood
imanewbie

Post by Catherwood »

No, I said he is part of the staff, but he just has the role of "Supervising" the project, not directing.
Catherwood
imanewbie

Post by Catherwood »

Another double post (I'm sorry), but I figured this http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclo ... hp?id=8539 merited attention.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

Does anyone believe the rumors that Peter Jackson is going to do a live version of Evangelion? I'd say it would be way up his alley.
Audentis Fortuna Juvet - Virgil