Your stance on the 3 next-gen consoles and their games.

Welcome to the official EG Gaming Buzkashi League (EGBL).

Moderator: EG Members

Bengal
Mastered PM

Post by Bengal »

Eldo wrote: I have to truthfully admit that if Wii and PS3 sold at the same price, I will probably get the PS3. But no, the PS3's price is more than three times that of the Wii.
At $250, the Wii isn't 1/3rd the price of the $599 "full" release of the PS3. Closer to half the price.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Oh, heh, I thought I read somewhere it was 800 bucks. My bad. But still, there's a huge price difference. My attention has been focused entirely at Wii and not at the other consoles.

EDIT: Figures that I checked was in approximately AU dollars converted the US, and not the US price, got them confused.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Gaiseric
Tastes like burning!

Post by Gaiseric »

Third parties will most likely make their games for all three systems to make more money, especially with the higher developing costs. So why pay 200-350 dollars more for a system that will have a lot of the same games? Games that are just ported over from one system to another rarely take full advantage of a system, so the graphical difference will be minimal. So what are you paying for? What first party games does Sony have? Third party exclusives? Even the PS2 versions MGS and GTA were eventually released for xbox and most of the time they had extra content. And after all the consoles have been out for a year or so and one starts to pull ahead, the developers will flock to it because thats where the money is. With 360s head start, and Wiis cheap price and innovation, I dont think PS3 will be the leader.

I was at Best Buy recently and they have two HDTVs side by side, one running blu-ray and the other running HD-DVD. They both looked absolutely amazing, the HD-DVD was very crisp, the blu-ray had a softer look. I thought it would be a very tough war between the two until I looked down, the price for the HD-DVD player was 499, the Blu-ray was 999! Now who is going to look at both of the displays and pick the one that costs twice as much? Of course, it could have just been the tvs they were running on, the hd-dvd was on a toshiba and the blu-ray on a sony, I'd have to see them side by side on the same tv to really see if theres a difference. But I doubt it would be enough to justify paying 500 dollars more.

When you look at the price of blu-ray players, the PS3 looks like a great deal; a powerful next-gen console and a blu-ray player for nearly half the cost of a regular player? Sweet. Not so. Reports so far show that HD-DVD and Blu-ray sales have been very low. I honestly dont think people are ready for a new format, I mean VHS nearly had a 30 year run and dvds haven't even been out for 10. Without a clear successor to the dvd, not many people are going to jump on the HD-dvd or blu-ray wagon, its a risky investment. Besides, Sony has been beaten by JVC and Toshiba in the past two format wars, Betamax to VHS and MMCD to DVD, what makes them think they will win this one?

This time around, PS3 is the odd man out with the blu-ray format. So unless the blu-ray movies take off, I see it going the way of the cartridge, gd-rom, and mini-dvd.
"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then
blames them for his own mistakes." - Gene Roddenberry
Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

Everyone knows the track record of sony and it's video formats. I'm not going to count them out for that though, they are still pushing games and isn't that what matters? Whatever bad news they release during this time is not going to determine how the whole system will work out. Kind of hard to say but I don't think this will influence a lot of peoples choices very much. Other then the hardcore gamers most are still planning to pick up some of the higher end systems.
Finito
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by Finito »

Since when did this thread become the fighting ground for the consoles leadership, it shouldnt really matter which one is going to lead, finding reasons why one is better than the other so its going to lead in the future is pretty useless to us...
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Using consoles to push your video format is down right illogical, it never worked in the past.

DVD stuck because people hated VHS, it provided a signfigant advancement in terms of quality.

HD-DVD and Blu-ray will fail like UMD has failed. Most people have DVD players now. Is there a reason to switch? Is the reason to switch because of a console? Sorry, that kind of market pentration won't spear head a movement, DVD movement was made by consumers of video, not video games. The PS2 jumped on board with DVD support after it had been out for years, the PS3 and Xbox360 are DVD compatible (at least, last I checked).

I will make a prediction that HD-DVD and Blu-ray will ultimatly fail, citing UMD, mini-disc, Laserdisk, BetaMax, et all. The average consumer won't give a rats ass about 'em because plain 'ol DVDs already gives them what they want.

So, using this as a justification as which console will dominate is moot imho.
Albator
Hikikomori

Post by Albator »

I still think that MiniDisc was a great support. If only it could hold as much info as a DVD, it's a much better support IMO.

Now to not derail that thread, I actually own a PS2, 1st console ever and bought it at launch. And I don't advise anybody to do that, it's usually a waste of money, it's better to wait for the hype to be gone. Wii looks good though, I like that controller, and the Nintendo game selection always looked good to me, so I would go for a Wii. So yeah, at this point it really comes down to the games since no system seems to have a technical edge on the other.

Not too much of a console gamer though. :smoken:

Edit: What a useless post. I'll just leave it.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Albator wrote:Edit: What a useless post. I'll just leave it.
Hahahahaha.

PS: From what I've heard, HD-DVD is doing better than Blu-Ray in sales.
Wandering_Mystic
n00b Smasher

Post by Wandering_Mystic »

Just a heads up for those that don't know yet, Wii will also be region-free

Edit: *sigh* looks like there are contradictory reports from two different Nintendo reps, oh well
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Wandering_Mystic wrote:Just a heads up for those that don't know yet, Wii will also be region-free

Edit: *sigh* looks like there are contradictory reports from two different Nintendo reps, oh well
From what I undestand, it will be up to each developer.

First party titles will be region free though.
Wandering_Mystic
n00b Smasher

Post by Wandering_Mystic »

That was according to Perry Kaplin, of NOA. But NOE (europe) dude in UK said that her statement was an error, leaving me scratching my head.

I say they should both fight to the death. Winner decides all
Psycho Wolvesbane
Mastered PM

Post by Psycho Wolvesbane »

It seems (i'm still confused as to what is really true) that the Wii will be Region Encoded and they somehow got their wires crossed and mentioned it was Region Free. Bummer.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Just found out that the game Skate, for PS3, is confirmed to support 1080p. So much for that no 1080p for games crap. ;)
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Starnum wrote:Just found out that the game Skate, for PS3, is confirmed to support 1080p. So much for that no 1080p for games crap. ;)
You don't understand.

The lower end model cannot physically output 1080p because it doesn't have HDMI.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

No, I understand that just fine. :roll:

That's the price you pay for getting the lower end model I guess... If you're going to get a PS3, you may as well get the better package, you know. *shrugs* The point is, the games will support 1080p. Some of them anyway, and probably the majority of them in the future.
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

Sony actually did something right (yeah oh man what the fuck happened there) for a change and are now including HDMI support with the 'lower-end' 20GB PS3 model.

This nearly eliminates the "Sony is a conglomeration of retards" point from my bulleted list of why not to buy a PS3.
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Hey, that's great news.

Might I add. Region Free, FTW! :P
Gaiseric
Tastes like burning!

Post by Gaiseric »

And the dropped the price of the lower-end version nearly 100 dollars, but in Japan only. Some say its a sign of weakness though.
"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then
blames them for his own mistakes." - Gene Roddenberry
Khan
imanewbie

Post by Khan »

I want games. That is a console primary function and reason. And instead of showing me a ton of them I see each shiny new piece of shit try to boast how big it is and coax its fan base into going into hilarious detail on why their god company is the indefinite victor of who-outside-of-this-click-really-fucking-cares. I won’t buy any of these at launch until I see a giant collection of games I want for said system, no matter how many prostitutes you include in the packaging or how cheap it is. But just for some consistency I’ll give my useless opinion on the systems to be.

Wii: Oh goody, an incredibly "innovative" controller. Why don't you just stick your transforming remote up my ass and handle my balls the way I like Nintendo? I’m sure that will be the most stimulating experience I can get out of waving it around like I’m having a stroke to Mario Party Lacrosse. $10 for every game I ever bought from you? Good bye ROMs and surviving consoles, hello Wi-Fi sprites.

360: Once again a few seen good games in a vast sea of listening to blaring 11 year olds get inducted into the Junior KKK when their mothers off shopping and going into wonderful detail on how they’re going to kill my family for dying on a video game.

PS3: MGS4, DMC4, a shooter, and an over hyped melodrama of androgynous fan fiction does not warrant a console purchase.

I don’t care who fucking makes it, I want a god damn mountain of games I want to waste my life playing. When that happens I’ll go to the highest cliffs and longest valleys and proclaim which company my wallet is bitch to as loudly as humanly possible. But until that faithful day I’ll pray all this hype leads to the failure of all three of them birthing a new dark age of gaming that will drive the thousands of dip shits on gaming forums worldwide to mass suicide. That and wonder how accurately I can predict the future.
Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

Wow I'm going to send you a friend invite.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Khan wrote:I want games. That is a console primary function and reason. And instead of showing me a ton of them I see each shiny new piece of shit try to boast how big it is and coax its fan base into going into hilarious detail on why their god company is the indefinite victor of who-outside-of-this-click-really-fucking-cares. I won’t buy any of these at launch until I see a giant collection of games I want for said system, no matter how many prostitutes you include in the packaging or how cheap it is. But just for some consistency I’ll give my useless opinion on the systems to be.

Wii: Oh goody, an incredibly "innovative" controller. Why don't you just stick your transforming remote up my ass and handle my balls the way I like Nintendo? I’m sure that will be the most stimulating experience I can get out of waving it around like I’m having a stroke to Mario Party Lacrosse. $10 for every game I ever bought from you? Good bye ROMs and surviving consoles, hello Wi-Fi sprites.

360: Once again a few seen good games in a vast sea of listening to blaring 11 year olds get inducted into the Junior KKK when their mothers off shopping and going into wonderful detail on how they’re going to kill my family for dying on a video game.

PS3: MGS4, DMC4, a shooter, and an over hyped melodrama of androgynous fan fiction does not warrant a console purchase.

I don’t care who fucking makes it, I want a god damn mountain of games I want to waste my life playing. When that happens I’ll go to the highest cliffs and longest valleys and proclaim which company my wallet is bitch to as loudly as humanly possible. But until that faithful day I’ll pray all this hype leads to the failure of all three of them birthing a new dark age of gaming that will drive the thousands of dip shits on gaming forums worldwide to mass suicide. That and wonder how accurately I can predict the future.
Terrible member (and post).
Psycho Wolvesbane
Mastered PM

Well you can't blame him for being honest. I'd say the gaming community needs a few of him just to pull the companies down from their high horses.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Khan wrote:I want games. That is a console primary function and reason. And instead of showing me a ton of them I see each shiny new piece of shit try to boast how big it is and coax its fan base into going into hilarious detail on why their god company is the indefinite victor of who-outside-of-this-click-really-fucking-cares. I won’t buy any of these at launch until I see a giant collection of games I want for said system, no matter how many prostitutes you include in the packaging or how cheap it is. But just for some consistency I’ll give my useless opinion on the systems to be.

What?

Just use a PC to play your games then. You seem to hate all the next gen consoles. There's a truckload of games for the PC.
Well you can't blame him for being honest. I'd say the gaming community needs a few of him just to pull the companies down from their high horses.
What high horse? They make the games, you play and buy it. Want to explain to me what high horse they're on?

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Psycho Wolvesbane
Mastered PM

Okay then lets call it the Hype Horse instead, and since Sony is most notably the king of all hypers they need to be knocked off it back down to reality.
Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

http://thewiikly.zogdog.com/article.php ... 4&ed=3&p=1
here you go, all you whiners. Read this.